Started on: 07-14-2007 02:36 PM
Replies: 406 (24443 views)
Last post by: toddshotrods on 06-02-2010 07:35 PM
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
big bump
and page ownage!

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 04-14-2010).]

IP: Logged
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're always instigating...

------------------
Todd Perkins Design

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want some progress!

We all have our busy times, but if nothing else you have been thinking about things. Figuring out how many batteries your gonna need? gonna run Lead acid? Lithium ion? Lithium iron phosphate? Gonna incorporate an attachable diesel generator for longer distance driving? Going advanced DC? Or AC? you do want regenerative breaking don't you?

Sorry if you covered these forever ago in your thread it has been long enough that I have forgotten

Chris
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

I want some progress!

We all have our busy times, but...Chris

Okay, I'm back (again)... Still trying to get settled and setup in Columbus. As for the Timepiece, it was time to wipe the slate clean. The Inhaler (my 23 Ford race rod) is coming along nicely, using up all those old parts, getting me used to scratch-build vehicles, and helping me wipe the slate clean for this project. I still have to go back through this thread to see what ideas will be used, but none of the old parts will be carried forward. I might use the T-bucket body shell idea, since I happen to have one handy to create panels from.

Originally posted by eph_kay:... if nothing else you have been thinking about things. Figuring out how many batteries your gonna need? gonna run Lead acid? Lithium ion? Lithium iron phosphate? Gonna incorporate an attachable diesel generator for longer distance driving? Going advanced DC? Or AC? you do want regenerative breaking don't you?...

Better than that, I've started collecting parts. A Toyota Celica IRS differential arrived yesterday, and a D&D electric motor gets delivered today. I also have a GE motor and haven't decided which one will go in my e-bike project, and which will go in the Timepiece, but there is one for each. Both motors are DC. The D&D is SepEx meaning is has regen, and electronic reversing (just click a switch). The GE is a series DC motor.

The part you guys may not like is there won't be a lot of performance. It's a show car, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It'll start moving with four to six lead acid batteries, but the long-term goal is lithium. What specific composition hasn't been decided yet.

The motor will be attached directly to the differential, with a belt-drive transferring the power. This gives me a psuedo quick change, and the ability to relatively easily tailor the gearing for the situation. Single-seater, and the theme is vintage racer. There will be a half-round windshield to match the big steering wheel, and roll hoop. Even though it's not going to be a real racer, I expect it to be a lot of fun to tool around in, and it should feel "old". I'm toying with the idea of a semi-monocoque design. The lighter I can build it, the better it performs...

------------------
Todd Perkins Design

eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds awesome, I can't wait to get into scratch building cars, still gonna stick with modifying fiero and other, alot, for awhile though.

Where are you planning on mounting batteries, I like the idea of the motor on top of the diff and the "quick change" gearing, actually planning to use something very similar in a VW rabbit I got, but it won't be an electric motor I will be changing the gearing of...

Lithium upgradability is always the way to go, lead acid is cheap and works, but you can build a compact lithium set up that should weight a good amount less, and probably even have a few more amp hours.

Also with the quick change gearing you have a nice set up for quick change on the motor too... a 9" advanced dc, or even a big ac motor could fit on pretty easy

Chris
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

Sounds awesome, I can't wait to get into scratch building cars, still gonna stick with modifying fiero and other, alot, for awhile though...

Thanks. I've been modifying for almost three decades. Take your time and make the leap when you're ready and have the resouces. It can be exhausting and exhilerating at the same time. If it's a one-off where there are no pre-existing patterns to work, off the research and options that you find can be overwhelming. You really have to lay out your goals before you start and keep them in front of you, to not end up miles off course. I also tried to do just one project at a time (the Inhaler) but I have too many ideas, and trying to make them work on one vehicle was driving me crazy! I have to have at least one or two other projects brewing on the back burner (drawings, models, parts collection, etc). It relaxes me and actually improves my focus with the front burner project(s).

Originally posted by eph_kay:...Where are you planning on mounting batteries, I like the idea of the motor on top of the diff and the "quick change" gearing, actually planning to use something very similar in a VW rabbit I got, but it won't be an electric motor I will be changing the gearing of...

Lithium upgradability is always the way to go, lead acid is cheap and works, but you can build a compact lithium set up that should weight a good amount less, and probably even have a few more amp hours...

Batteries go in the nose, in front of my feet. A nice pack of LiFePo4s probably make the most sense. Even though it's not a real race car, it should be fun to play around with. Lightweight and instant torque should be a nice combo.

Originally posted by eph_kay:...Also with the quick change gearing you have a nice set up for quick change on the motor too... a 9" advanced dc, or even a big ac motor could fit on pretty easy

Chris

I got the D&D SepEx motor and it's going to this project. It is perfect for it since it allows regen and electronic (flip a switch) reverse. It can be run at 72 volts which, in combination with a nice LiFePo pack (eventually) should provide okay performance. About what I imagine a 20s car would have...

If I do want more later there is a 6.7" AC motor/controller package that would be a perfect replacement. There is also a hi-torque motorcycle version of it that revs to something like 8,000rpm that would really put a little performance in the package. I would still have regen too.

It has thremal and speed sensors built in.

Here's a shot of it mocked-up with the Celica diff.

Another rendering of the model, with the wheels spread out a bit and a quickie windscreen.

------------------
Todd Perkins Design

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 06-02-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave