Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 1988 LFX F40 build. (Page 5)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 1988 LFX F40 build. by Daryl M
Started on: 01-02-2019 10:42 PM
Replies: 183 (3353 views)
Last post by: Daryl M on 07-22-2019 07:22 PM
Will
Member

Posts: 12831
From: Where you least expect me
Registered: Jun 2000


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 233
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Daryl M:

Any idea where I can find a pair? Are they only from a 1988, or do other years have the same parts?



Held/Arraut used to make repros. Now that The Fiero Factory has bought them out, they will probably have them available when they re-start production of those pieces.

IP: Logged

lou_dias
Member

Posts: 4900
From: Warwick, RI
Registered: Jun 2000


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasClick Here to Email lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Will:
Held/Arraut used to make repros. Now that The Fiero Factory has bought them out, they will probably have them available when they re-start production of those pieces.

Woah! This is epic news! My SLALOM front suspension needs some parts refreshed...

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by fieroguru:


It is an 88 Formula or GT part. 4 cyl 88 coupes don't have them (unless they have been added).

Ask for them in the mall or on some of the facebook parts groups, call up the Fiero Factory, or reach out to your local 88 Fiero parts hoarder.


Great call Guru. Found a set at a good price in record time. Thanks.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2019 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post



I have a question about front control arm bushings. I ordered some online for my 88 . The ones I received were the item shown. The bolt hole is the correct size, but the O.D. is 30mm. My lower control arms take 45mm. The question is did they send bushings for the wrong year or do I have an earlier front suspension? I don't know if 84-87s take a different size bushing or if Rock auto just dropped the ball. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Daryl

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Daryl M:



I have a question about front control arm bushings. I ordered some online for my 88 . The ones I received were the item shown. The bolt hole is the correct size, but the O.D. is 30mm. My lower control arms take 45mm. The question is did they send bushings for the wrong year or do I have an earlier front suspension? I don't know if 84-87s take a different size bushing or if Rock auto just dropped the ball. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Daryl


Never mind! I figured it out. These are for the upper arm.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post





Worked on the rear sway bar arm today. One done, one to do. If my questionable welding holds up, they might just work.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post



Got the bracket on the driver's side done. Still need to fabricate the frame mounts and get the correct length link bolts and paint. Gotta have paint to hide the ugly welds, but it seems to be coming right along.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post











Finally finished the rear sway bar. I used a torsion bar from a 1989 Isuzu Trooper. Total cost came to about $65.

IP: Logged

fieroguru
Member

Posts: 10822
From: Champaign, IL
Registered: Aug 2003


Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you test fit sliding the rear cradle bolts in place yet?

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by fieroguru:

Have you test fit sliding the rear cradle bolts in place yet?


The sway bar will have to be removed and reinstalled after the cradle is in place.

IP: Logged

msweldon
Member

Posts: 533
From: Georgia
Registered: Sep 2000


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Daryl,

FYI...While coming up with a solution for a reluctor wheel.. I read/found that the E39 ecu as well as my E92 don't like low tooth count VSS signal rates at low speeds.
In case yours does the same, I found and am installing one of the 32 tooth wheels from Davis Technologies...just slightly bored out their 1.75" rings to 1.768" for the saab/cobalt axle.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by msweldon:

Daryl,

FYI...While coming up with a solution for a reluctor wheel.. I read/found that the E39 ecu as well as my E92 don't like low tooth count VSS signal rates at low speeds.
In case yours does the same, I found and am installing one of the 32 tooth wheels from Davis Technologies...just slightly bored out their 1.75" rings to 1.768" for the saab/cobalt axle.


Good to know! Thanks!

IP: Logged

cyrus88
Member

Posts: 299
From:
Registered: Jun 2003


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did this for when I needed better VSS for my LT-1 swap. If you're interested in more info, I will be glad to share.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 06-27-2019).]

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post


I finally took time to work on the 88 GT today. Had to think a bit to figure where i was in the project. I decided to do a test fit of the cradle . everything seems to fit pretty well, but then i haven't heard what all of you think . please take a look at the photos and let me know where you see the warts.
Thanks
Daryl





























IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by fieroguru:

Have you test fit sliding the rear cradle bolts in place yet?


Fyi to Guru.
Did a fitting of the cradle today. The bolts go in fine. I'm liking how the sway bar came out. If you see anymore questionable looking things, please keep mentioning them. I appreciate the long distance help.
Daryl

IP: Logged

pmbrunelle
Member

Posts: 2929
From: Grand-Mère, Québec
Registered: Sep 2008


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2019 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Daryl M:
please take a look at the photos and let me know where you see the warts.


Access to the sway bar zerk fittings appears questionable.

Shift cables appear to have a tight bend radius coming out of the firewall -> might be bad for good shifter feel.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by pmbrunelle:


Access to the sway bar zerk fittings appears questionable.

Shift cables appear to have a tight bend radius coming out of the firewall -> might be bad for good shifter feel.


Zerk fittings are better than the photo indicates. Shifting? I'll let you know when it gets further along. Thanks for the observations.

IP: Logged

Will
Member

Posts: 12831
From: Where you least expect me
Registered: Jun 2000


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 233
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Daryl M:


I finally took time to work on the 88 GT today. Had to think a bit to figure where i was in the project. I decided to do a test fit of the cradle . everything seems to fit pretty well, but then i haven't heard what all of you think . please take a look at the photos and let me know where you see the warts.
Thanks
Daryl


What are you using for axles?

The F40 looks like it's further from the left frame rail than a typical installation. Likewise, the rear back cam cover looks closer to the strut tower than I would expect it to be, given that there are only 3 cylinders in that bank. IOW, your powertrain my be biased to the right a bit. I don't have typical Fiero cornerweights handy, but that may affect your cornerweighting.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 07-18-2019).]

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2019 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Will:


What are you using for axles?

The F40 looks like it's further from the left frame rail than a typical installation. Likewise, the rear back cam cover looks closer to the strut tower than I would expect it to be, given that there are only 3 cylinders in that bank. IOW, your powertrain my be biased to the right a bit. I don't have typical Fiero cornerweights handy, but that may affect your cornerweighting



I have Cobalt axles. Positioning may be slightly different than what you are used to because of how I designed the mounts. I blocked the engine/trans, suspension and axles in place on the cradle, then made the mounts. That way the axles and everything else were in the exact position I wanted before fabricating mounts.

IP: Logged

Will
Member

Posts: 12831
From: Where you least expect me
Registered: Jun 2000


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 233
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2019 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Making sure you have symmetrical plunge clearance in the inner CV joints is what's going to dictate your left/right position of the powertrain if your axles are picked ahead of time.

Have you already run the suspension through its full range of travel to verify the CV joints look good at all positions?

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by Will:

Making sure you have symmetrical plunge clearance in the inner CV joints is what's going to dictate your left/right position of the powertrain if your axles are picked ahead of time.

Have you already run the suspension through its full range of travel to verify the CV joints look good at all positions?


Correct. That is why i assemballed the suspebsion, axles and associated apparatus before centering the engine/transmission unit and fabbed the mounts. Having a center axle shaft and two identical length axle shafts does make the job simpler.

IP: Logged

wftb
Member

Posts: 3208
From: kincardine,ontario,canada
Registered: Jun 2005


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbClick Here to Email wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know the Cobalt SS supercharged axles fit the F40 and I am assuming that is what you are using. But it got me wondering because I have never looked, do base model Cobalts use the same axles?

IP: Logged

fieroguru
Member

Posts: 10822
From: Champaign, IL
Registered: Aug 2003


Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by wftb:

I know the Cobalt SS supercharged axles fit the F40 and I am assuming that is what you are using. But it got me wondering because I have never looked, do base model Cobalts use the same axles?


No.
The F35 has the same 27 spline spider gears as the F40, but it was only used in the SS version of the Cobalts. The standard models used the F23 which uses the stock Fiero axles.

IP: Logged

Daryl M
Member

Posts: 347
From: Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Registered: Aug 2016


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by fieroguru:


No.
The F35 has the same 27 spline spider gears as the F40, but it was only used in the SS version of the Cobalts. The standard models used the F23 which uses the stock Fiero axles.

Yes, the Ss Cobalt Supercharged axles are what i am using.

IP: Logged

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock