Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 1988 LFX F40 build. (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 1988 LFX F40 build. by Daryl M
Started on: 01-02-2019 10:42 PM
Replies: 607 (13588 views)
Last post by: Daryl M on 01-12-2021 09:51 AM
RandomTask

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskClick Here to Email RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daryl,

Hope you're holidays are going well.
IP: Logged
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

Daryl,

Hope you're holidays are going well.

Had my neck surgery on December 23rd. Not getting much done for a while. How was your holiday?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Gen 1 Cadillac srx, 4 of them. They are cheap, available and were pretty easy to build brackets for.

Awesome!
They're similar in concept to older BMW engine mounts, but look pretty squishy.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Awesome!
They're similar in concept to older BMW engine mounts, but look pretty squishy.

They are actually are pretty firm. I imagine with 280 lb/ft of torque they will move some, but I'm not sure how much.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are actually are pretty firm. I imagine with 280 lb/ft of torque they will move some, but I'm not sure how much.

It's 280 ftlbs * 3.77 first gear * 3.55 final = 3747 ftlbs, right?
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

It's 280 ftlbs * 3.77 first gear * 3.55 final = 3747 ftlbs, right?

Your math is pretty good. In their original longitudinal application, they use 2 of these mounts, one on each side . The transmission is supported in the center, so that mount does little to resist torque. I figure 4 of the mounts plus a dog bone on top and I should be ok.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 256
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your math is pretty good. In their original longitudinal application, they use 2 of these mounts, one on each side . The transmission is supported in the center, so that mount does little to resist torque. I figure 4 of the mounts plus a dog bone on top and I should be ok.

The longitudinal setup the engine mounts don't experience the final drive torque multiplication due to the 90 degree angle change at the rear end. This means your engine mounts will have to resist 3.55 times the torque loads as the longitudinal setup, so doubling up on the mounts helps, doubles the torque load holding... Granted there is a safety factor built into the mounts, so it they will likely keep the drivetrain in place, but it could move more than you expect.

This is what I always use 4 corner mounts with lower control arm bushings (fully encapsulated and pretty stiff) and space them as far apart as possible.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The longitudinal setup the engine mounts don't experience the final drive torque multiplication due to the 90 degree angle change at the rear end. This means your engine mounts will have to resist 3.55 times the torque loads as the longitudinal setup, so doubling up on the mounts helps, doubles the torque load holding... Granted there is a safety factor built into the mounts, so it they will likely keep the drivetrain in place, but it could move more than you expect.

This is what I always use 4 corner mounts with lower control arm bushings (fully encapsulated and pretty stiff) and space them as far apart as possible.

Very good point. I too placed the mounts as far apart as practical. It will be interesting to see how this experiment works out.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 16 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock