85 Notchie Build by zkhennings
Started on: 07-08-2012 10:09 PM
Replies: 58 (3119 views)
Last post by: ignorant prodigy on 03-25-2020 12:41 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well done! You've certainly put a lot of time & energy into your project.
Have you had technical training & experience or is all this from natural mechanical aptitude?
IP: Logged
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Well done! You've certainly put a lot of time & energy into your project.
Have you had technical training & experience or is all this from natural mechanical aptitude?

Thanks! Nope never any training before I started to seriously work on my car, I was a diesel truck mechanic for a summer after I had learned to work on my car a bit, but it was really all brake jobs, oil changes, sway bar bushings, that kind of thing. I learned everything by doing. I threw myself into an engine swap and then into an engine build and just made sure I was careful.

I have been building things for years, but now my car is my main project.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my future plans are a turbo 3800 built on a custom cradle with custom rear suspension, custom exhaust, custom front suspension. I might do custom knuckles but I am not sure. With the 3800 I will upgrade the brakes again.

In the meantime since all that will take definitely over a year, I am supercharging the 2.8!

I have an eaton m45 I am planning on mounting where the AC would normally be, I may use an intercooler depending on how much boost I am pushing. I bought L36 injectors (22lph) which should do the job, and I am going to swap ecms with a 7730 maybe running the $58 mask for the syclone. I think I am going to stay with distributor ignition.

I want to figure out a way to run the SC off the v belt groove for AC. I do not want to run a V belt, but maybe I could turn the V belt groove off, and machine a ring that would accept a toothed belt and press that on. Then make a SC pulley. This would simplify things a lot as I would not have to figure out how to mount a pulley, and I wouldn't have to deal with extra long serpentine belts and I do not know if the grooved pulley would have the same serpentine pattern as the fiero

Looking on McMaster it appears that I should use a high torque timing belt and pulleys. Hopefully I can find a pulley that I could stick in the lathe and turn the inner diameter to fit over where the V belt was. They are steel so I could weld it on.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 03-16-2014).]

ttt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ttt123Click Here to Email ttt123Send a Private Message to ttt123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just read through you intire build.. very nice. tip of the hat to putting time into the 2.8. i'm building a 3.4l turbo currently. so at 132hp how did you feel about the cars performance?
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereClick Here to Email woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read your thread. I really enjoyed seeing all you went through. I admire your tenacity. You saved a Fiero many would have walked away from. Isn't it funny how anything that we know isn't quite right will always come back to bit us later. I have been building cars and bikes for over 50 years and I still have to make myself check and double check before things go together. Try as I might, I still make plenty of mistakes. The trick is to man up and fix them. You have definitely demonstrated that quality. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. This has been a very interesting read.

------------------
woodys 427

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ttt123:

just read through you intire build.. very nice. tip of the hat to putting time into the 2.8. i'm building a 3.4l turbo currently. so at 132hp how did you feel about the cars performance?

Thanks! At 132 hp it is not slow, it has a pretty flat torque curve so it accelerates nice, actually pushes you back in your seat. A 3.4 turbo would be lots of fun

Originally posted by woodyhere:

I just read your thread. I really enjoyed seeing all you went through. I admire your tenacity. You saved a Fiero many would have walked away from. Isn't it funny how anything that we know isn't quite right will always come back to bit us later. I have been building cars and bikes for over 50 years and I still have to make myself check and double check before things go together. Try as I might, I still make plenty of mistakes. The trick is to man up and fix them. You have definitely demonstrated that quality. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. This has been a very interesting read.

Thanks a lot woody, I have learned so much about life working on this Fiero. I can't wait to soon have the funds to really take this car somewhere. I know that I will make sure whatever I do with it is done right from the start no matter what.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been working in the real world now out of college I got a job as a Mechanical Engineer and I bought an 03 WRX just like I wanted to. It ended up getting totaled (not my fault thankfully) and I picked up an 02 WRX in much better condition, though both were in good condition.

03 when I got it

It came with a bad turbo because the PO was a total idiot and put all his weight on it which torqued the housing and ruined the turbo.

Replacing the turbo

03 Totalled

New WRX

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Now I was in VT (200+ miles from my house) and a timing gear blew up and trashed the motor... So I am currently re-gasketing another motor and doing the timing belt and water pump and whatnot. It was a very expensive tow home.

Doing a couple quick mods to the motor while it is out. I also have forged rods and pistons for a stroker build using the 2.5L crank in the 2.0L engine so that will happen at some point.

But for now I have been doing tons and tons of research and I have decided to go with an Ecotec 2.2 that I will turbo to 400+rwhp

Basically I hope for the Fiero that I can have a wicked fast and well handling car I can totally beat on and take to track days. I also want it to stay relatively cheap because of these goals, I wanted to do a 3800 turbo because if I ever blew it up I would be out 500$ to swap in a new junkyard motor and that is that. VS I've spent north of $2500 on trying to get a running engine in my WRX again. So that meant I was looking for an engine that holds good power stock or close to stock that I don't need to get any machining done on it to mod it if I need to.

Well the 2.2 Ecotec is a very robust motor. All this info is from a GM document.

Swap in performance valve springs from GM and redline increases to North of 7500 RPMS with no machining of the head.

Block and crank and oiling and water pump are all very robust and only need to start being changed past ~700hp

Basically I have to pull off the oil pan, pull the head, replace valve springs, put in new forged pistons and rods, get a headgasket and button it back up and it is done. Probably have to do a quick hone myself while I am in there but that is it. It has huge weight savings over a 3800, almost 200lbs. You really feel that weight in the rear, especially when the rear gets loose. Well I like to drive a loose car and it is scary with all that weight in the rear, decreasing that will allow the car to snap oversteer much more gently and controllable.

Other benefits include that it is very easy to work on, easy to replace pistons and what not while the engine is in the car, and I will be able to do a nice turbo setup without such a cramped engine bay.

I plan on doing a few cool things, I want to buy a W2A core from Bell intercoolers, Corky Bell's company. I can get the core size I need for around $300 and it is amazing quality, as a finished intercooler it could cost north of $700. I plan on building the intercooler into the intake manifold. So one end tank of the intercooler will have the throttle body on it, and the other end will go right into the runners. This should increase throttle response a ton and decrease lag a lot as well, and it will essentially control the temperature of the entire intake manifold. Also with where it is placed in the engine bay it will get lots of cool air from under the car to further help keep temps down. I plan on a log style header to put the turbo right at the transmission, so it has a short boost line to the throttle body that goes over the transmission, and there is where I will incorporate either a BOV or BPV or a hybrid valve.

Here is a sketch to show what I am talking about more clearly:

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 03-27-2015).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Won't the intercooler require it's own fresh air source instead of the normally higher temperature air found in the engine compartment?
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BrittB

453 posts
Member since Dec 2013

Originally posted by woodyhere:

Try as I might, I still make plenty of mistakes. The trick is to man up and fix them. You have definitely demonstrated that quality. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. This has been a very interesting read.

You never get to a point of not making mistakes, experience makes you more efficient at fixing them quickly!

This build with the planned system looks very cool, I'm happy to follow along and wish you much success!

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

Won't the intercooler require it's own fresh air source instead of the normally higher temperature air found in the engine compartment?

It will be a water to air intercooler so it's cooling ability comes from a dedicated coolant source separate from engine coolant. I might ceramic coat the outside to further insulate it from underhood temps.

Anyone selling a Tig that can do aluminum?
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2017 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long time no post.

Even though it's my daily driver I can't help but pull my Subie apart pretty frequently. This is a pain, but the car is really solid now with a bunch of performance parts, and I think I can be happy and keep it together for a bit. This opens up time to work on my neglected Fiero.

As it sits, it has no motor as I sold it, the paint has always been garbage, and I cover the car in fluid film before and after every winter. It sits in the driveway under a waterproof but breathable car cover. I also wash it periodically. It looks as though everything has stayed relatively rust free and ready to go.

I have been checking in on the forum periodically, sad to see some good builds pulled out of here.

I had plans to do an Ecotec swap to create a really nice weight balance and lighten up the rear end to get the car to handle really well (custom make front and rear subframes with custom control arms and links with Bilstein shocks springs struts), but with the amount of flaws the Fiero has, and the limited time and resources I have to spend on it, I am going to do a 3800SC L67 swap. It will be much cheaper, much simpler, lots of fun, and I can finally drive my Fiero again. I am going to save a complex build for a Miata or something else very small and LIGHT. The Fiero is a pretty dense car in comparison.

The rest of the car is up to the task with it's larger brakes, full poly, and whatnot already.

I have all new ball joints for it as well and new outer and inner tie rods.

So here are some haphazard thoughts on what has to happen:

• Bumpsteer fix that I designed a while back. A couple members have created the fix I designed/they probably came to similar designs with their own tweaks, and they look very promising.

• My fuel lines are already rubber and I can move them anywhere in the bay. Will need a bigger fuel pump.

• I have a Spec stage 2 clutch from my last motor.

• I have a 4 cyl throttle cable.

• My current exhaust could easily be modified to bolt to the 3800 stock exhaust.

• I found a nice looking L67 for $399 with 84,000 miles on it, and it is only 10 miles from my house.

• I would need to make some motor mounts, for now I will keep the Isuzu with F23 plans for WHEN it blows up.

• Need a Camaro flywheel to take to my local machine shop

• For now I will port the supercharger and use a smaller pulley that has been undecided.

• I will need a tuned PCM, I tune my WRX myself but I don't want to pay for HPTuners (yet)

• I want to do a low mount alternator, I want to simplify the belt routing, I could put it where the AC compressor would go.

• I'm going to make a semi permanent coolant crossover that is bolted to the front crossmember of the cradle.

• I will weld my own Themostat housing to control coolant outlet and make a convenient fill point and utilize some stock Fiero parts, I'm sure I have some thermostats lying around.

• I will be relocating the battery to the front for weight and to make some space in the bay. Planning on using welding cable for battery terminal wires.

• I sold my V6 harness, But I think I can make the 4Cyl harness work. I am going to simply splice and heat shrink the harness's as well delete any unneeded wires. And my car is very stripped of all available options so hopefully the harness cleans up well. But I have complete confidence in the my soldering and heat shrinking capabilities, plus custom lengths will be very easy. I am going to figure out a way to label all the wires so I always know what is what if looking for issues.

• Aftermarket gauges for water temp, oil pressure, and boost will be in order. (MAYBE Air Fuel if I get HP Tuners)

• I would like to design my own shifter assembly, and make it very tall with short throws, so it is even closer to the steering wheel.

And for kicks I am thinking about reversing the parking brake assembly, grinding off all but one notch, and using that to manually raise the Fiero pop up headlights as I am so sick of heavy motors that always fail, I have gone through so many at this point. Slimmer headlights are also a goal but unrelated to this project. So is a nicer steering wheel.

That is it, I don't see this being a huge financial investment as I have a lot of what I need already. I will keep you guys updated and hopefully within the next month post a pic of the motor I am planning on buying.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 06-08-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2017 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread, great work on all you had done previously.

Hope the new "build" goes great
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2017 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I am more of a perfectionist now than when I built this 4 years ago, luckily I appreciate simplicity more too so hopefully those attributes come together nicely in the upcoming work.

Also I am finally going to get around to re-painting that I always neglected.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you are in for some work. Enjoy the build it is half the fun and frustration all at the same time.
Just to muddy the waters you might want to look into a good ole fashion V8 option. I know forced induction is all modern and hip but who does not love the rumble of a large displacement V-8. Caddy 4.9s are extremely easy to drop into fieros. They have lots of grunt off the line and decent HP. You can get them pretty much everywhere. I know there is not much you can do to them once you get them in. But for a simple cheap motor upgrade they are a pretty good option.

ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey man, fellow masshole here
in the middle of a 3800 swap myself.. being my second swap and 4th fiero I have a ton of spare parts if you're ever in need.

gl, keep us posted.

------------------
87 Fiero GT- 98 L67 swap - (SOLD)
88 Fiero Formula- L67 swap in progress
T-Top 672 of 1252

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

Looks like you are in for some work. Enjoy the build it is half the fun and frustration all at the same time.
Just to muddy the waters you might want to look into a good ole fashion V8 option. I know forced induction is all modern and hip but who does not love the rumble of a large displacement V-8. Caddy 4.9s are extremely easy to drop into fieros. They have lots of grunt off the line and decent HP. You can get them pretty much everywhere. I know there is not much you can do to them once you get them in. But for a simple cheap motor upgrade they are a pretty good option.

I seriously considered doing a Northstar swap for a while for all the V8 reasons, but I decided against it for my current goals.

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:

hey man, fellow masshole here
in the middle of a 3800 swap myself.. being my second swap and 4th fiero I have a ton of spare parts if you're ever in need.

gl, keep us posted.

I just read through your progress the other day everything is looking great, I would love to come check it out some time and maybe take a look at all the Fiero parts you have too, I am like an hour north of you
ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

I just read through your progress the other day everything is looking great, I would love to come check it out some time and maybe take a look at all the Fiero parts you have too, I am like an hour north of you

anytime, just send me a PM. would love to meet some locals to shoot the **** with.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally beginning to gather information and parts to start an LE5 swap. Found some more pictures of my drivetrain with the final exhaust. Exhaust did not require any modifications to trunk. Motor was pulled as I ended up selling it in 2015.

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 03-12-2020).]

ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice keep us posted
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock