Started on: 10-03-2011 11:26 PM
Replies: 409 (18514 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 01-09-2019 02:22 AM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

welded up a new thermostat housing, we'll see if the welds are watertight...

the outlet is now approx parallel with the scattershield, which should make hose routing easier.

I finished up the surge tank, I'm gonna try an dget it mounted up tomorrow, I have all the fittings on order, and will get a ton of hose from a local supplier.

the car is back on four wheels again, I love the look of the new wheels, but want to lower the the car about 1" to close up the wheel gap some.

IP: Logged

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lots of stuff going on this week, gonna try and get the cooling system finalized, I'm currently waiting on some -12 45 degree fittings for the heater lines, and recirc lines, I've also ordered a new pair of fuel filters, a 40 micron, and 6 micron, and new screens for the injectors, I also discovered tonight that the lower port on my wastegate is leaking like mad. I ordered a replacement and should have it by friday I hope. I also ordered some stainless tubing to make fuel lines for the new filter arrangement. the next big thing I'm going to tackle is the intercooler mount and locaction, with the new subframe and engine mounts, the intercooler no longer fits where I had it with the same mount, I've got a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

Not an easy place to install a tube flare...

no more hose clamps...

New hoses

heater core supply line

general hose routing

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2017 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Build is looking sweet. Those new wheels look great, not a huge fan of many of the aftermarket wheels I see on Fieros, but those work. AN hoses/fittings are so convenient, functional, and look great. I've installed a bunch in my subies engine bay, makes pulling the motor a breeze, going to follow suit with the Fiero.

Getting close to driving it again? Car looked fast in the iphone vid, and that 60* V6 turbo makes all the right sounds.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2017 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks,I hope to be driving it again soon, but I'm not holding my breath., it sounds way more awesome in person than in video.

welded up the passenger coolant tube, and got a bunch of parts in, including my new fuel filters:

the first is a 40 micron, the second is a 6 micron, for reference, a human hair is about 75 micron diameter.

I started working on the water pump suction hose, and think I have something that will work, but I need a couple more clamps, and because I've made a somewhat silly requirement of using T-bolt clamps and not worm clamps, it'll have to wait until monday to be buttoned up and pressure tested.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2018 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

this project hasn't died, I recently PCS'd, and deployed, so it's been in storage, hopefully I'll get it back out in about 2-3 months.

------------------

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I now have the car back in my possession. I think the car has a blown headgasket, not 100% sure, but a solid 85%. I'm planning to pick up a low miles stock 3500, and putting my heads cam and intake on/in it. There are a couple of reasons for this plan,

#1, oil control, the engine currently in the car has no windage tray, in the race to get the car put together before joining the navy 5+ years ago, when the windage tray interfered with the rods, it was left off. hind sight being 20-20, not a great plan, but not the end of the world.

#2, oil return, the oil return line from turbo is very poorly plumbed into the pan, and WAY to big, a new engine will come with a new pan that I can make a quick easy fix to clean the engine up a bit.

#3, bearings. after my fiasco 3 years ago with the oil line blowing apart, I'm worried the bottom end may have had bearing damage, no easy way to tell without pulling it apart, but I can say there was quite a bit of metal in the oil and filter when I changed it last.

I'm not too worried about durability, stock pistons and rods on all sorts of late model engines are pretty good compared to old school garbage, that being said, I do plan to possibly open the ring gaps a little bit if necessary, or maybe some trick rings for S+G's.

------------------

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I now have the car back in my possession. I think the car has a blown headgasket, not 100% sure, but a solid 85%. I'm planning to pick up a low miles stock 3500, and putting my heads cam and intake on/in it. There are a couple of reasons for this plan,

#1, oil control, the engine currently in the car has no windage tray, in the race to get the car put together before joining the navy 5+ years ago, when the windage tray interfered with the rods, it was left off. hind sight being 20-20, not a great plan, but not the end of the world.

#2, oil return, the oil return line from turbo is very poorly plumbed into the pan, and WAY to big, a new engine will come with a new pan that I can make a quick easy fix to clean the engine up a bit.

#3, bearings. after my fiasco 3 years ago with the oil line blowing apart, I'm worried the bottom end may have had bearing damage, no easy way to tell without pulling it apart, but I can say there was quite a bit of metal in the oil and filter when I changed it last.

I'm not too worried about durability, stock pistons and rods on all sorts of late model engines are pretty good compared to old school garbage, that being said, I do plan to possibly open the ring gaps a little bit if necessary, or maybe some trick rings for S+G's.

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2018 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
I'm not too worried about durability, stock pistons and rods on all sorts of late model engines are pretty good compared to old school garbage

That isn't what you thought back when you did the full retard forged build, just saying...

However, I wouldn't want to do exactly the same (or too similar) build a second time - that would be boring / tedious.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2018 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

That isn't what you thought back when you did the full retard forged build, just saying...

However, I wouldn't want to do exactly the same (or too similar) build a second time - that would be boring / tedious.

meh, it's easy to overthink things when you're young and stupid. but, if I keep the car after this is all said and done, it will get properly built and blueprinted engine.

------------------

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good news, the car is in the garage, I'm slowly cleaning it up and getting it and the garage ready for real work to begin, I have a few ideas floating around that I may play with, but the overall goal is to get the thing running and on the road before December 31...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock