Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog (Page 24)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 28 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog by JohnWPB
Started on: 12-03-2010 12:28 AM
Replies: 1105 (45247 views)
Last post by: eric12 on 01-16-2022 07:03 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2017 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I did some adjusting to the layout of everything. I was able to find the AFR and add it into the layout as well as some other possibly useful information. I left some room for Dash Cam Video to be overlaid in the top left. I will try to get a nice long recording of various stop and go and at speed logs when I get back from Minnesota.

IP: Logged
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Ok, I did some adjusting to the layout of everything. I was able to find the AFR and add it into the layout as well as some other possibly useful information. I left some room for Dash Cam Video to be overlaid in the top left. I will try to get a nice long recording of various stop and go and at speed logs when I get back from Minnesota.

Exactly what I was looking for. Following the numbers and without the video kinda makes it hard. Not knowing how its reacting to what your doing exactly due to the delay. Curious to see how your AFR Reacts. I apologize I haven't read through the thread entirely but how is your fuel Pump wired and what pump did you go with?

(Again full discretion I am not a tuning expert or a mechanic so just going off ideas and what I am seeing/ have seen)

*THIS ONE IS FAR LEFT FIELD* What does your alternator put out while driving, idleing, and underload. Also I'd be curious to see what kind of resistance it has to ground and how much A/c noise it puts out. I have seen before where under certain loads the alternator not give proper clean voltage causing the fuel pump to break up not being able to handle it causing misfire. *AGAIN ITS A THOUGHT WE HAVEN'T LOOKED AT DON'T CRUCIFY ME*

[This message has been edited by Phirewire (edited 07-24-2017).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, one last video before I hit the sack. I have to be up in 4 hours to head to Miami International to head to MN.

The car REALLY started acting up at the end of this video, to the point that it died. I got it started and limped it home running like crap. No clue on what has been the problem up till now, and certainly no clue what has gotten Far worse. I sincerely am beginning to think this car is cursed.

my-fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it posible to email me the layout of this setup in Torque pro?
I have the program

Don't know if that is posible?

Stan

Ok, I added the LTFT as a gauge. Now that I know the number is supposed to hover close to 0, I can clearly see there is a problem. It was pointed out that I am running REALLY rich, so negative numbers are rich then. I never see it go lean while driving. The more I accelerate, the more rich it becomes. I adjusted the Fuel Pressure Regulator tonight, and it seemed to make no difference in how much the LTFT gauge was displaying.

I adjusted the FPR from one end to the other, with the engine running, and the LTFT still remained in the -20 or so area. I adjusted the FPR so low at one end, that I could not increase the throttle at all from idle without the engine stalling.

Its possible this FPR is bad, as I purchased THIS ONE from Amazon, and it was not that expensive.

This screen capture was taken cruising along at a steady 50MPH.

[This message has been edited by my-fiero (edited 07-25-2017).]

turbodad2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodad2Send a Private Message to turbodad2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago I had the same issues and spent $600 dollars and shop time trying to solve it. After months of trying everything, I took off the valve covers and found one pushrod off it's rocker, pushed it under the rocker and tightened a little, it ran like new, of course it had $600 bucks worth of new parts !!! Hope this helps.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2017 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the O2 readings! Doesn't look right. Why did you lose connection to the ECU? It didn't reset, did it? I'm wondering about the connection. Could there be a short?

What happened next? Did the engine start?
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, one last video before I hit the sack. I have to be up in 4 hours to head to Miami International to head to MN.

The car REALLY started acting up at the end of this video, to the point that it died. I got it started and limped it home running like crap. No clue on what has been the problem up till now, and certainly no clue what has gotten Far worse. I sincerely am beginning to think this car is cursed.

PM sent.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have coolant in your oil, do you? Only so many things that white smoke could be.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2017 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished at the Tyler Shipman car show. I am in St. Paul and will be flying back home late tomorrow night. I will answer posts and PMs in the next few days.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After watching the video.

2 words .....SPARK BLOWOUT....Boost is blowing out the spark

NEED Smaller plug GAP....
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to updates.
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno what happened to him. After the Tyler Shipmann show, he has posted elsewhere, but not here.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I dunno what happened to him. After the Tyler Shipmann show, he has posted elsewhere, but not here.

Yeah I know .... must of got it fixed because he's lookin to do a press button shifter ....

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 08-20-2017).]

GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Yeah I know .... must of got it fixed because he's lookin to do a press button shifter ....

If he did fix it, it would be nice to share with us what it was.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone.... sorry for the lack of information.

I have not touched the car since 3 days before I went to the Tyler Shipman show and I limped it home (July 23rd). It has developed a coolant leak, it is now there is also a puddle of transmission under tha car. It is now running very bad. Start it and it bumbles, pops, and idles at around 2,000 RPM.

It, as you can imagine is beyond frustrating. I have thrown money at this car, for over 5 years now. To the tune of almost $13,500. I just need to, yet again, step back and take a break, to prevent me from totaling it with the 10 pound sledge hammer, with a 3 foot handle that I have in the garage.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-21-2017).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey everyone.... sorry for the lack of information.

I have not touched the car since 3 days before I went to the Tyler Shipman show and I limped it home (July 23rd). It has developed a coolant leak, it is now there is also a puddle of transmission under tha car. It is now running very bad. Start it and it bumbles, pops, and idles at around 2,000 RPM.

It, as you can imagine is beyond frustrating. I have thrown money at this car, for over 5 years now. To the tune of almost $13,500. I just need to, yet again, step back and take a break, to prevent me from totaling it with the 10 pound sledge hammer, with a 3 foot handle that I have in the garage.

Sorry man! I was hoping to hear that you had worked the bugs out and moved on to the push button transmission selector project.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't go Jackie Chan on your Fiero.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get new copper spark plugs (auto lite) and gap to .045; install. and If that solves your problems...your welcome and have a nice day.
turbodad2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodad2Send a Private Message to turbodad2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car had every symptom you have described in this thread. Turned out to be one push rod had come off the rocker...have you checked them.? I know it seems too simple, but sometimes it's the simple things that get overlooked.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbodad2:

My car had every symptom you have described in this thread. Turned out to be one push rod had come off the rocker...have you checked them.? I know it seems too simple, but sometimes it's the simple things that get overlooked.

What made you pull the valve covers and ultimately check the pushrods? Was the valve train noisy?
PFF
System Bot
turbodad2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodad2Send a Private Message to turbodad2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@Norsac,
I had put in over $600 in parts and shop time. Every usual suspect part, fuel pump, plugs, wires, timing chain, etc..etc.. Was about to replace the ECU and the clerk at Autozone, nicely refused to order it. He told me to go back..stop reading codes and think of what makes the engine work. On a whim I took off the valve cover and could see the push rod off the rocker. I felt like a dope ..but you live and learn. I have heard two other people describe the "exorcist " engine problem and have offered the same advice..no responses yet.. but what could it hurt to check?
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey John, thought I would check in and hope your safe and protected with this monster storm headed around and near your territory. Check in and let us know how your doing.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the well wishes. A lot of factors, and an uncertain course for this storm. The closer it gets, the more it looks like it is headed directly here as a Cat 4. Either we will get just a lot of rain, and some wind, -OR- if it is a Cat 4, and a direct hit, I most likely will not have a viable Fiero come Monday.

The only protection the Fiero has is what we refer to here in Florida as a carport. A roof structure connected to the house, and just a few poles holding the outer edge up, with no exterior wall or ends. With a Cat 4, there is absolutely no way the carport will remain in place. They are like a sail in high winds, and the insurance companies know it. They are not covered in any way in any insurance plan.

It could go either way honestly. I am personally hoping it will just some wind, and a lot of rain.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It could go either way honestly. I am personally hoping it will just some wind, and a lot of rain.

You and me both!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This was the latest model ran with the American and European models, which are very close to each other at this point. I posted the photo to my Facebook page earlier, and am just sharing it here as well, as this could be a significant change in my Fiero build depending on how things go.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not garage your Fiero at one of the many Public Storage places that are on every block here? First month move in is free and then move it back to your house after the storm.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free, nothing. It's about 1 month's rent. Paperwork, lock, administrative, taxes, etc. Still, better than losing your Fiero.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Free, nothing. It's about 1 month's rent. Paperwork, lock, administrative, taxes, etc. Still, better than losing your Fiero.

Exactly the point of me making the post in the first place!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a good idea..... Hmmmmm

One thing going for me is the fact that I have FULL coverage on the car.... and a "Total Loss", according to State Farm would be around $8,500
of which I would buy it back, and collect the rest to do something... not sure what... would cross that bridge if it comes to it....
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2017 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was a total loss from a hurricane or flood, your problems with the car would only increase. I'd count that as a lost battle.
PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it looks like the eye of the storm will ride along the west side of the state. Are you going to ride this one out John? If so wish you luck and hope for the best
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, the plan is to stay put. As of no looks like we will get a mild breeze from the storm. The Florida Keys, and the other coast are going to be FAR worse. Key west, as the track goes right now is going to have it as bad as the images we have seen from Barmuda and the other islands
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with the storm, John. Take care and be safe.

Bob
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. I wonder how JimmyS is doing.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea, the plan is to stay put. As of no looks like we will get a mild breeze from the storm. The Florida Keys, and the other coast are going to be FAR worse. Key west, as the track goes right now is going to have it as bad as the images we have seen from Barmuda and the other islands

Based on a Facebook post, John lost power last night and I have not seen a post since then. No power, very limited internet potential but sure hope that he is OK. Physical items can normally be fixed/replaced but people are much harder to repair and/or replace.

Nelson
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No power isn't the end of the world. We lose power too often, so have a generator.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, power was out for the past 6 hours, and cell service was down as well. Still no cell service actually....

Made it though the storm ok. The Fiero is Ok, just COVERED with dirt, and stuck on grass and leaves. The one causality was my Side-by-side refrigerator. What I think happened is ice began to melt, and ran down into the electronics where the dispenser is. It shorted and started a fire in the door. Luckily I was in the living room, and not in bed, and noticed the smell of something burning. I ran and shut off the breaker, and was able to spray water into the door and put it out.

You can see the plastic melted where it was burning on the inside, the black is from the smoke.. it is REALLY toxic smelling!

I took it apart so I could disconnect everything so I could at least keep the food good till I get a new fridge tomorrow:

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crazy
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2017 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck John. Been checking up on ya on Facebook. I thought about trolling you with all the great weather we have been having here in Cleveland, but stuff like a hurricane can be no joke. Stay safe my friend.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 28 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock