Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  Colored folks, this is a joke people, not being racist (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Colored folks, this is a joke people, not being racist by avengador1
Started on: 11-19-2003 08:29 AM
Replies: 166 (1164 views)
Last post by: gusshotrod on 01-14-2005 09:54 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not write any of the below. I copied and pasted it in it's entirety including the first part of the post title. Since it is creating quite a controversy, please let me know if I should remove it and it will be gone.

(This was written by a black guy in Texas and is so
funny. What a great sense of humor and creativity!!! )

When I born, I black,
when I grow up, I black,
when I go in sun, I black,
when I cold, I black,
when I scared, I black,
when I sick, I black,
and when I die, I still black.

You white folks....
when you born, you pink,
when you grow up, you white,
when you go in sun, you red,
when you cold, you blue,
when you scared, you yellow,
when you sick, you green,
when you bruised, you purple,
and when you die, you gray.
So who you callin' colored folk's ???

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 11-19-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wudman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very lame for someone that seems to be respected on this board if the rating reflects your integrity. Of course, maybe I don't get? Clearly the stereotyped grammer indicates the writers poor grasp of the English language, or was he stunting for a particular audience. While you are at it, can you find us one written by a Pole, Jew, disabled person, or an Arab? I bet if you qualify it as "not racist", it will automatically be so.

------------------

ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:

Very lame for someone that seems to be respected on this board if the rating reflects your integrity. Of course, maybe I don't get? Clearly the stereotyped grammer indicates the writers poor grasp of the English language, or was he stunting for a particular audience. While you are at it, can you find us one written by a Pole, Jew, disabled person, or an Arab? I bet if you qualify it as "not racist", it will automatically be so.

lighten up, it was a freakin joke

1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what crawled up your butt and died?

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a joke lighten up. There is nothing racist or derogatory on the statement so take it for what it is funny.
Jaygee79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's nothing racist about it. It's funny. Lighten up.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was funny.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He *did* say it was written by a black man. In that context, I have to complement the writer on a very funny, witty and astute observation.

Also, I am white, and I'm not the least bit offended by it. I believe it *is* possible to engage in humor that points out our differences. When it is done tastefully and respectfully, and when someone is poking good natured fun at themself and others, what is the harm?

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe y'all don't read so good an yous finds stereotyping jes something to have a good ole laugh 'bout. Sorry, it is still lame and evidence that many people don't even begin to understand what is offensive. We folks whose a'bin the ones referred to as dem colored folks since it said "No Colored Allowed", (I cans reads a bit, enough like my joke right bruddah since I was teached certain ways).

Actually what is more pathetic is that the geographic locations of those that enjoyed this so much (up to this point) reflects the opinions of some from the more allegedly understanding Northeast. Personal experiences as one born in Hyannis, MA have helped me understand that there are glaring exceptions to the rule.

[This message has been edited by Wudman (edited 11-19-2003).]

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excuse me, but my family is half black and half white. So please do not judge me. Thank you.
ditch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe y'all don't read so good an yous finds stereotyping jes something to have a good ole laugh 'bout. Sorry, it is still lame and evidence that many people don't even begin to understand what is offensive. We folks whose a'bin the ones referred to as dem colored folks since it said "No Colored Allowed", (I cans reads a bit, enough like my joke right bruddah since I was teached certain ways).

Actually what is more pathetic is that the geographic locations of those that enjoyed this so much (up to this point) reflects the opinions of some from the more allegedly understanding Northeast. Personal experiences as one born in Hyannis, MA have helped me understand that there are glaring exceptions to the rule.

location of the less than 10 people who responded on here says something?????

I know one thing that can be said, you are a complete moron

PFF
System Bot
Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:
Also, I am white, and I'm not the least bit offended by it. I believe it *is* possible to engage in humor that points out our differences. When it is done tastefully and respectfully, and when someone is poking good natured fun at themself and others, what is the harm?

I am sure you were not offended. I will remember that the next time one of my aging Southern Illinois neighbors uses the word "Colored". I am sure he or she will get a kick out of it. I am also sure that those of you who find it funny have a Black, (or is that "Colored") friend that will just love it to death.

Where is the harm? For one thing it seems the bar is still set very low when it comes to acceptable racial humor. So far as a Black man, I have yet to find this funny. There is nothing tasteful about it as well. If I saw this joke being told to a group other than Black, I would be more offended, not by the dimwits laughing, but by the fool who told it. One could hope that the days of pandering around as an ignorant speaking "Colored" person for a laugh from White people would be over. Then again, one could hope that fat people could get past making fat jokes and understand that what may be funny to them is probably not funny to many other fat people. I doubt many Hispanics think much of a wetback joke, just because it was told by someone who claimed his Dad swam across the river to get to his field job. Hey, how many of you Germans get a good chuckle out of a funny Nazi joke when told by a German?

As far as it being written by a Black person, either that person was some ignorant Southern field hand given his dielect or he was a Black that was pandering. On the other hand, we just have someone's word that it was written by a "Black" and that makes it all right. How about a simple test? What if the joke was written by a White person who took on stereotypical mannerisms like the "Rochester" character? Is it still funny? How about if I tell one of those "wetback" jokes that goes over so well when the Hispanic guy lets it ripped at some non-Hispanic audience?

This has nothing to do with PC either, it is beyond that. What it does show though is that many in this country still don't have a clue and would profit from tired stereotyping.

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had a big long thing typed out but had hit edit instead of quote, so I'll summerize what I said. You say we dont understand what offensive is? How can you know what offensive is to us? Do you run around in our heads? What offensive is varies from person to person. So don't get ya panties in a 'wud', it was a thing called a joke.

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those who were offended, was it the use of the work "colored" or the stereotypically bad grammer? Would this be funny?

When I was born, I was black,
when I grow up, I will be black,
when I go in thr sun, I am black,
when I am cold, I am black,
when I am scared, I am black,
when I am sick, I am black,
and when I die, I am still black.

You white folks....
when you were born, you were pink,
when you grow up, you will be white,
when you go in the sun, you are red,
when you are cold, you are blue,
when you are scared, you are yellow,
when you are sick, you are green,
when you are bruised, you are purple,
and when you die, you will be gray.
So who are you calling colored?

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what do you find offensive? The bad grammar ascribed to a black person, or the content, or both?

Edited-Steve, I posted the exact thought just after you did, and hadn't seen yours.

To Wudman, if it is the use of the word "colored" that is offensive, that is a difficult one for me. I am 48 years old. Over that span, I have tried to be non-offensive by using terminology that is non-offensive. However, that has been a moving target. Over my lifetime, I was supposed to say negro. Then negro was offensive and it was supposed to be colored. Then colored was offensive and it was supposed to be black. Then black was offensive and it was supposed to be african-american.

So if you know what the acceptable terminology is supposed to be as of Nov. 19, 2003, could you please post it?

P.S. You can't see facial expression or hear tone of voice in print, so I am writing it out. I'm not upset, accusatory, argumentative, angry, etc. I seriously want to know because I continue to want to not offend people if possible. thanks.

[This message has been edited by frontal lobe (edited 11-19-2003).]

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ditch:

location of the less than 10 people who responded on here says something?????

I know one thing that can be said, you are a complete moron

Well, in time I am sure many geograhical locations will eventually be represented. To further that, I will be glad to bump this up to the top while I sit here working on the computer. Since I forgot to mention Indiana, let me give you, "ditch" special notice. Since you are up close to Chicago, take a short drive to the Cabrini Greens area, just west of downtown, tell me how that joke goes over, please! Surely if it is okay for a Black man to allegedly poke fun at himself, you can poke fun at him as well in front of a group of his grammatically challenged peers?

By the way, I noticed that it is okay for a Black to act a fool in front of certain groups, but when I express my opinion on how it isn't funny, I am a moron, etc, etc. Clearly if the double standard hit you upside your head, many still don't get it. I will have to try one of those selp depricating jokes about Caucasions at the next Klan rally held in my area, (they have them regularly up the road) and see if they
think it is funny. I can do a pretty good hillbilly!

Just in case I haven't been clear, from my point of view, the joke is stupid and even offensive.

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wudman

1593 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

So what do you find offensive? The bad grammar ascribed to a black person, or the content, or both?

Primarily the stereotyped grammer is patently offensive. Then again, I thought the morons that tried to teach Ebonics as a language in the Oakland Public School systems, were morons and offensive as well.( http://www.cal.org/ebonics/)

The other part of this joke that is of dubious comedic value is that IF it was written by a Black, to illuminate a word that in my opinion is just a few steps above the "N" for a laugh, it represents a step backwards. It plays on tired stereotypes on several levels, obviously to the delight of many, at least on this board.

It is clear that in this country, many just don't get it and as the majority of those fade into old age, a few still profit to keep the ignorance on the horizon.

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am sure you were not offended. I will remember that the next time one of my aging Southern Illinois neighbors uses the word "Colored". I am sure he or she will get a kick out of it. I am also sure that those of you who find it funny have a Black, (or is that "Colored") friend that will just love it to death.

This is understandably an emotional issue for you, so if my comments offended you, my apologies.

I grew up here in Northern California, surrounded by people of every conceivable color, race, religion and philosophy. I guess we have a different view of race out here. Not perfect, but very tolerant and open minded. FYI, I was born in Chicago, as were my parents. I have relatives there, and they have displayed moments of racial intolerance, so maybe it's a regional thing.

Again, my comments were not intended to insult or inflame. My apologies if they came across that way.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can do a pretty good hillbilly!

Great. Let's hear it! As a displaced Southerner I wouldn't mind it a bit.

You seem to be uncomfortable in your own skin Wudman. Didn't Martin Luther King jr. dream of a day when a man would be judged by the content of his character instead of his skin? Well? Don't you think that strong character involves being able to laugh at yourself a little. I'm Southern and I love a good redneck joke. I'm half Italian and love a good one of those too. I feel secure because I know people judge me by my character and think nothing of my heritage.

Speaking of Italian Jokes here is one:

What is the shortest book ever written. The great big book of Italian War Heros.

Bada Boom!

frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt Cabrini Green would be a good test. I hope you would realize: that group of people is hardly representative of black people in the U.S. Unless things have changed, I would suspect there is a HIGH degree of racism as a whole in that group.

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

What is the shortest book ever written. The great big book of Italian War Heros.

I thought the shortest book ever written was the history of the Swiss navy.

BTW, do you know about Italian tires and getting a "Hello Statue" installed?

PFF
System Bot
DotTC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve Normington:

BTW, do you know about Italian tires and getting a "Hello Statue" installed?

I figured it was a French War Hero book

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I grew up here in Northern California, surrounded by people of every conceivable color, race, religion and philosophy.

I spent 20 years in Northern California, in particular, Sacramento. Spent a lot of time in the Bay Area as well, enjoy Mendocino and hope someday to retire somewhere on a road between Santa Rose and the coast.

Having said that, there is a different attitude in general in California, though it seems to have tightened up a bit since the early 80's. I have worked in the Central and San Joaquin valley, bilingual, (Hablo y escribo bastante Espanol) and have often interfaced within the State's diverse cultural and ethnic communities.
I will agree that for the most part "tensions" in the Golden State, are just as much an issue when compared to any other place I have lived or worked. The difference in my experience, is that at least in California, the ethnic tensions seem to pop off in extremes, whereas in the south, there is little expectation of change many. It seems out west that folks are actually more uptight because of societal expectations? Here, there seem to be no such limits and a "live and let live" attitude prevails (as long as you don't want to date my daughter). Those with issues seem more inclined to share them. I DJ a lot of events and invariably I get asked if I feel comfortable, especially the further south the event is.

In regards to the comment on MLK, the day when we are judged soley by our character and not our actions is the day when stupid ethnic references are only found in history books.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually it's The Gallery of Japanese BasketBall Players.

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought white people were the butt of the joke and the author, whatever their race, seems to be poking fun at ignorance, not necessarily race. The format was immaterial to me.
It's not surprising this joke is eliciting confusion. When we live in a world, where we see one a group refer to themselves using derogatory terms, and then turn around and chastised a different group for using the exact same term, it's no wonder people are confused.
How can you criticize one group, when (insert your own group here) is engaging in the same type of behavior, or is that OK?
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In regards to the comment on MLK, the day when we are judged soley by our character and not our actions is the day when stupid ethnic references are only found in history books.

Now hold on. I did not say people should NOT be judged by there actions. People should not be judged by who they are; race, color, faith, size, sex, etc.

We should definitely judge people by their actions. After all, your behavior is directly related to your character.

Just clarifying

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by frontal lobe:

I doubt Cabrini Green would be a good test. I hope you would realize: that group of people is hardly representative of black people in the U.S. Unless things have changed, I would suspect there is a HIGH degree of racism as a whole in that group.

I would gather that whoever wrote that joke is not representative of the majority of Blacks either. My point about telling the joke anywhere near that area of Chicago was to offer at test of what is really funny. Would the one who took exception and reacted in some other stereotypical way just not be getting it?
There have been so many really funny people that didn't have to cut on themselves or others. This was supposedly a reflection of a Black guy in Texas with a "great sense of humor and creativity". Now that was funny...

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Debating this issue is probably not a good idea. Wudman is black, and was offended. That is his perception, and he's entitled to it, whether we agree with him or not.
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

It's not surprising this joke is eliciting confusion. When we live in a world, where we see one a group refer to themselves using derogatory terms, and then turn around and chastised a different group for using the exact same term, it's no wonder people are confused.

Like when the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People holds an African-American festival during Black History month to raise money for the United Negro College Fund?

ditch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

By the way, I noticed that it is okay for a Black to act a fool in front of certain groups, but when I express my opinion on how it isn't funny, I am a moron, etc, etc.

Just in case I haven't been clear, from my point of view, the joke is stupid and even offensive.

cry me a river

[This message has been edited by ditch (edited 11-19-2003).]

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok well i sent it to my friend dre, (he is black) he found it pretty hilerious. and had no problems with it. ive seen black comedians do jokes alot like or similer to this.
i dont see whats so offinsive about it. its not serious its a joke. I don't see blondes being offended by blonde jokes. but if it really honestly for some reson offends you ask him to erase it im sure he is kind and will. I just can't figure out why it would be so bad? its a joke! and it seems to be poking fun of the white people not black. I'm not offended its funny!
PFF
System Bot
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's tacky.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, some people are just DYING to be offended.

OK -

Everyone here is a freakin' FEEDLIEDORF!

Do you feel offended? Shouldn't you? Don't you know what the word feedliedorf MEANS?!?!?

Sheesh. I bet you that someone on here would get all flustered if I told you when I was five, I stepped on an ant. That's right. I did that. I killed an innocent ant.

Stepped right on it. Squish.

And it was a BLACK ant! *gasp*

It WAS an accident (I didn't see him)

But I guess I'm going to hell.

It wasn't like he said "I'm not trying to be racist, but all (put race here) are feedliedorfs!!!!"

There are times That I cannot help but do THIS:

We are all silly mammals.

Oh well, I guess those people who offend people better keep doing it...if they stopped, then what will those other people have to complain about?

STOP TAKING LIFE SO SERIOUSLY.

*Thunder crackle*

THUS SPOKE FIERORUMOR

------------------

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can black people be racist? Ask them what they think of Clarence Thomas, or the sharp black woman up now for Federal Judge...they will tell you that these people are not black....The Estrada guy up now for Federal judge was called a Neanderthal by Ted Kennedy last week on C-span...but he can not be a racist...can he? You can not reason with Liberals...The people who want to stop nuclear power generation so we can burn coal and breathe all the precipate pollution which is killing us ever day....No a black person can not be racist...even if they hate all foreigners...call all groups names...hate Christians and demonize them on a regular basis...all of this is ok and they are not racist because they just can't be racist. If a black person does not think like the rest of the black people....he is just not black and is a demon also.
Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One has to love the anonymity of the net which is a world away from having this discussion in a group. I would ask who of you that enjoyed this so much would tell this in an ethnically mixed group?

Toddster..

My reference was not an assualt on your MLK comment, no clarification needed. Now as far as a good "redneck" joke, I live to close to Southern Indiana to add one to any future stand-up act. I have a feeling that a even if I told a "redneck" joke, allegedly written by a "redneck" to a "redneck" crowd, I might want to watch my back as I exited the theater, if not when I walked off the stage.

What is interesting is that for the most part, the reaction to my opinion on this "joke" is that others have defended it's funniness and in principle the clown that supposed wrote it. I can understand those points of view. People used to think Al Jolston was the funniest thing on the stage. Given the time he was popular, I can understand, though like this weak "joke", I have found that act rather repulsive.

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Wudman..I am offended!!!!I am from the real south...Am I a redneck? I have a PHD in medicinal chemestry...Why can you call jokes redneck? is that not racist?
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not defend the joke; I gave my opinion of my reaction to it. A joke by its very nature is going to offend, someone, somewhere, somehow.
The positive aspects this joke has brought forth outweighs the negative. It has providing a lively debate and brought forth many points of view. It has allowed us to learn about our differences, and hopefully teaches us to help respect those differences.
How do you reconcile your feelings regarding your own race using derogatory terms to define itself, or is that OK?

[This message has been edited by ChopTop (edited 11-19-2003).]

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GARY TUCKER:

Hey Wudman..I am offended!!!!I am from the real south...Am I a redneck? I have a PHD in medicinal chemestry...Why can you call jokes redneck? is that not racist?

More illustrations of what is or isn't offensive, even if not part of a joke. Ff Mr. Tucker is serious about his being offended by my using the word, (encased in quotations), he maks the poinit far better than I have been able too. Mr. Tucker, if you are offended, please accept my apology. I don't recall anyone though, equating being from the south, real or imagined, as being a "R------". (you know what word we won't use now. Not that the now offended individual was referred to as "R------" or anything at all for that matter. By the way, congratulations on having a Phd though I would have expected something more doctoral like to be reflected in your contribution Dr. Tucker. I would have to guess that if I told a joke as described, you would be far more bent out of shape as compared to just talking about it as part of a relatively sane discussion?

DotTC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like when the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People holds an African-American festival during Black History month to raise money for the United Negro College Fund?

Shouldn't we start a association called the "National Associate for the Advancement of White Boys" .. or White people(dont wanna make the feminist mad ) .. no we couldnt' do that cuz thats racist. Racism exists only in the minds of those who see it.

Wudman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

I did not defend the joke; I gave my opinion of my reaction to it. A joke by its very nature is going to offend, someone, somewhere, somehow.
The positive aspects this joke has brought forth outweighs the negative. It has providing a lively debate and brought forth many points of view. It has allowed us to learn about our differences, and hopefully teaches us to help respect those differences.
How do you reconcile your feelings regarding your own race using derogatory terms to define itself, or is that OK?

[This message has been edited by ChopTop (edited 11-19-2003).]

ChopTop, there is a thread floating around called "White Trash", should be back a page, in it, as I will do here again, I will state that those Blacks who refer to themselves using the "N" word as some sign of respect have lost their mind. I find it perpetrates the issues that many use to make excuses for their situation, regardless if they are Black, White or whatever. It rates as ignorant as any behavior that groups or individuals who use the word to disparge engage in. Moreover, those that use the word freely in music or hate actions are equally part of a minority group of losers.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock