Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  I know it's a Mustang.. but it's new.. and quick! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I know it's a Mustang.. but it's new.. and quick! by 1FST2M6
Started on: 05-07-2002 02:50 PM
Replies: 162 (947 views)
Last post by: JazzMan on 08-30-2004 10:19 PM
1FST2M6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12.43@113mph, DOHC S/C, they are claiming 390hp... (heh.. type-o)

but they stole the Fiero owners hood venting idea!

[This message has been edited by 1FST2M6 (edited 05-07-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
want a fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for want a fieroSend a Private Message to want a fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thougth the old corbra's hade 320hp, I think you ment 390hp.

------------------
1987 gt, 5-speed, 1.5''drop polybushings, sway bars 17'' o.z wheels, speedway brake kit, sony explode, true duel exhaust , turbo scoopes, koni shocks blk/blk paint

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can you make it to American Pie saturday at 1-1:30ish? the Ga. Fieros Club
will be meeting there.. i'll be there along with Raydar(Steve),
1SLO2M6(Myles), Fiero Child(Chuck), MrPbody(uum don't rememer his name) and
RodrV6(Rodney) hope to see ya there.

Travis
1FST2M6

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id rather ride a bike than drive a mustang.......I wouldnt mind a '70 Boss 429, but other than that, Im walkin! The newer mustangs suck!
1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...The newer mustangs suck!

heheh... and how does that make you feel?

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hp is tempting, 1/4 aint bad....but its still a stang!
Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My uncle has a SVT dealership , they went down to the test track In Arizona to try the new cobra.

They beat on it for 3 days dragging it against all sorts of other cars , it would hold it's own against a Z06 and beat a stock c5 like a rented mule.

Time to swap some real power into the Fiero.

JM

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry but Ford engines rule.. The 5.0 with a fantastic engine, with more aftermarket than you can shake a stick at (what the hell does that mean, anyways)
btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't mind a new GT. They're confortable, pretty quick, and sound darn good with Flowmasters on.
TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what the Camaro and Firebird are going to be when they come back, but this pony is going to be playing with the Z06 and M3 by the time they return.

------------------

85 GT 3.4 DOHC WideTrack
...Under Construction...

want a fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for want a fieroSend a Private Message to want a fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1fst2m6,i am pretty sure i can be there saturday, but i will not be able to bring the fiero.

------------------
1987 gt, 5-speed, 1.5''drop polybushings, sway bars 17'' o.z wheels, speedway brake kit, sony explode, true duel exhaust , turbo scoopes, koni shocks blk/blk paint

PFF
System Bot
Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I went to Ford.com and check it out, and I must say, Im am impressed with the Mustang.......SVT that is.

I think its time for Corvette to kick it up a notch, a ZO6 only having 15hp more? COME ON!!! This is getting ridiculous!!!

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna go see if I can test drive a new stang at the local ford dealership.. way out of my budget, but it'd be fun.. plus I've never been in a V8 stang before.. a friend in high school had a 4cyl mustang LX.. that was just funny.

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca
http://www.fieroproject.com

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Performance1:
Well, I went to Ford.com and check it out, and I must say, Im am impressed with the Mustang.......SVT that is.

I think its time for Corvette to kick it up a notch, a ZO6 only having 15hp more? COME ON!!! This is getting ridiculous!!!

At least they don't have to put a speed limiter on 'vettes due to aerodynamic instibility at high speeds.

Where's the benefit of overhead cams? All I see is the benefit of a supercharger. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent car and all, but why do they take the easy way out when it comes to making power?

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiaddict:
...Where's the benefit of overhead cams? All I see is the benefit of a supercharger. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent car and all, but why do they take the easy way out when it comes to making power?

There's a big difference in displacement, and I would venture to guess the low-end grunt of the SC'd SVT would appeal well to their clientele. Mated to the high-end DOHC, you appeal to both the tech crowd as well as the torque crowd. -> and that's hard to do.

Mattyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattymanSend a Private Message to MattymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be fast and all but it still looks like a sedan not a sports car. When you sit in a stang it feels like you are sitting in a Taurus. The interior is so plain. I think ford uses the same headlights on every car they make. To me they just dont look good and especially dont look like a sports car. Sports cars are supposed to look sleek and slim with some curves, the stang doesnt fit that.
Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it's a decent car and all, but why do they take the easy way out when it comes to making power?

Because, its Ford, simple as that.

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Performance1

201 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Mattyman:
It may be fast and all but it still looks like a sedan not a sports car. When you sit in a stang it feels like you are sitting in a Taurus. The interior is so plain. I think ford uses the same headlights on every car they make. To me they just dont look good and especially dont look like a sports car. Sports cars are supposed to look sleek and slim with some curves, the stang doesnt fit that.

PLEASE....do NOT classify this vehicle as a "sports car". Sports cars are supposed to be fast as well as HANDLE, something that the Mustangs lack sufficiently.

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Performance1

201 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Mattyman:

PLEASE....do NOT classify this vehicle as a "sports car". Sports cars are supposed to be fast as well as HANDLE, something that the Mustangs lack sufficiently.

btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At least they don't have to put a speed limiter on 'vettes due to aerodynamic instibility at high speeds.

Where's the benefit of overhead cams? All I see is the benefit of a supercharger. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent car and all, but why do they take the easy way out when it comes to making power?

Last I heard... GM was working with Toyota to develope a DHOC engine for the next gen. of Corvettes.

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol....I never thought a that!

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by btoth:
Last I heard... GM was working with Toyota to develope a DHOC engine for the next gen. of Corvettes.

i doubt that. The vette has had before a DOHC engine.

------------------
Adam J. B.
1970 Chevelle SS, 496 stroker BBC, 750 N/A hp
likes single digit runs
IM AOL: GTFiero & Rumpdetective (dont ask)

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GTFiero1

6508 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Performance1:

actually, the new Z06 has 405hp and the standard C5 has 350. Also the Z06 weighs a few hundred pounds less

btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the price on the new Cobra?

OK. It was just something I read about in a mag. or somewhere.

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Performance1: Yeah, lets not classify Mustangs as sports cars... They handle better than most cars on the road... Lets call the Fiero a sports car, because it's suspension is made up with 80's econoboxes (Chevette comes to mind.. now that was a real handler...)
Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:

Actually the Hydroformed frame of the c5 was designed to accomodate a 4 cam motor.

The reason the Zr1 wasn't more successful was a very expensive powertrian. When you start to outsource to Mercury Marine to build motors , and lotus to design them , costs go way way up.

JM

Mattyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MattymanSend a Private Message to MattymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Performance1, hey I said that stangs were not sports cars. Maybe you just read over my post to fast or something. Just wanted to make sure so you didnt think I was a mustang lover or something like that.
Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:
Performance1: Yeah, lets not classify Mustangs as sports cars... They handle better than most cars on the road... Lets call the Fiero a sports car, because it's suspension is made up with 80's econoboxes (Chevette comes to mind.. now that was a real handler...)

See, here we go again! JohnnK, just because YOU have a mustang, doesnt mean that they are the best cars. And your always disrespecting the Fieros as if they are POSs.

1) Mustangs handle better than most cars on the road? HA..thats a joke! My moms Plymouth Breeze probably hadnles better that thing. Admit it dude, the handeling SUCKS, even my boss who HAS a new mustang says "Yea, they are a bit squirrly". Come on man...

2) Call Fieros sports cars....NO SH!T...they are! Are you saying that its NOT a sports car because of its age? Correct me if Im wrong, but my 14yr old Formula is still competing with the newer generation MR2s. A sports car, I think so.

Just relax, calm down, and admit that Mustangs handle like complete SH!T! Get over it, quit defending it..... it is NOT a sports car and they dont handle the road. PERIOD. (.)-PERIOD

Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha mustangs handle better than most cars!!

My caprice with hotChkis bars and Eibach springs will run circles around our 95 5.0ltr

the New independant suspension makes the mustang a real performer , but the stock live axle setup doesn't exactly instill confidence on a track

JM

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2002 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:
actually, the new Z06 has 405hp and the standard C5 has 350. Also the Z06 weighs a few hundred pounds less

Yes, I know....that is why I stated that the ZO6 only has 15hp MORE than the Mustang. 390 + 15 = 405. But I didnt know that the ZO6 weighed a few hundred pounds less, I didnt look into that. I was probably to suprised and didnt even think of the weight factor

btoth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2002 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally think the GTs handle pretty well. And I would suspect that the SVT would be much better. They don't have the low center of gravity that a Corvette or similar has, but it definatly doesn't ride like your average sedan. I never cared for Mustangs all that much till I took it out for a test drive. My only complaint about the car itself was the lack of a console of anykind (seems you could put one in seeing as how it is RWD) and I would miss the feeling of sitting on the floor.
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a Fiero lover too (And I didn't have a mustang before when I was defending them. I only got it a few days ago!).. Have you guys ever DRIVEN a stock fiero? They are not exactly great handlers.. No, they are NOT sports cars.. Just because you love them doesn't make them $100000 cars.. They have 92 and 140 hp.. hardly a ball of fire.. What were they advertised as.. Hmmm.. Econo commuter cars..
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw the new Mustang up close and personal on Saturday. It was at the Custom Compact Power Jam in Carlisle Pa. It was sweet looking. Has different front and rear facias, with brake ducts in the front by the fog lights. They also had the Focus SVT, but even better was the Euro spec Focus with the Duratech V6. Hope to see everybody at the MAFOA Fiero's at Carlisle show on May 18th.

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula T-Top # 1008 of 1252 (5 Spd White/ Grey)

AIM = SpiffyFiero

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm a Fiero lover too (And I didn't have a mustang before when I was defending them. I only got it a few days ago!).. Have you guys ever DRIVEN a stock fiero? They are not exactly great handlers.. No, they are NOT sports cars.. Just because you love them doesn't make them $100000 cars.. They have 92 and 140 hp.. hardly a ball of fire.. What were they advertised as.. Hmmm.. Econo commuter cars..

So, by your definition, a Mustang isn't a sports car either.

[This message has been edited by Pontiaddict (edited 05-08-2002).]

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uhh.. where in that thread did I define what a sports car is? Because I have no clue. I'd say it's much more a sports car than Fiero's, yes..
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Live Axle 'stangs? don't even joke, it's so not funny :P)

The indipendant stangs (read; Cobra, Cobra R) are still kind of jokes. I had no trouble turning around one on Sears Point's 2.52mile road course. Me with 140hp, him with 320. Passed him hard, like a rented mule.

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

NOCONES

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NOCONESSend a Private Message to NOCONESEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed Fiero:
Actually the Hydroformed frame of the c5 was designed to accomodate a 4 cam motor.

The reason the Zr1 wasn't more successful was a very expensive powertrian. When you start to outsource to Mercury Marine to build motors , and lotus to design them , costs go way way up.

JM

ALL true but you also get a TON of HP.. not sure what factory claimed on it, but a guy i autox with has one that dynoed @ 375hp.. . At the REAR WHEELS. 7K RPM redline... me likes.. now that engine would be fun in a fiero.. screw the northstar

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-08-2002 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieros arent exactly great handlers? ARE YOU ON CRACK?

1) Seriously, ARE you on crack?
2) Have I driven a stock Fiero? Yeeeees, I have 2...both 88s......what kinda question is that???
3)When did I say they were $10000000000000 cars? Hardly...
3)Hp...doesnt really matter too much in classification of sports cars, MR2s have 200, NOT a sports car? Hell, the Fiero beats an older Ferrari(cant remember, lost the paper), but is a Ferrari NOT a sports car then because its hp? Nooooo.
4) Commuter car....TRUE....yet

So please, just be quiet, while your not to far behind.

Performance1

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-08-2002 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Performance1Send a Private Message to Performance1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Performance1

201 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Uhh.. where in that thread did I define what a sports car is? Because I have no clue. I'd say it's much more a sports car than Fiero's, yes..

Are you on crack?

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2002 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Performance: What? Who are you anyways.. Go home..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock