Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Where did all the ads go? (Or: be careful what you post) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where did all the ads go? (Or: be careful what you post) by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 04-21-2016 02:57 PM
Replies: 176 (3690 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 05-08-2016 01:28 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have noticed no ads are being displayed anymore. There's usually one at the top of a thread page and one at the bottom. But, Google has disabled all ad serving to Fiero.nl. Why? Because a while back, somebody started a thread with subject "Pedoph****" and in that thread a few images were posted of girls over 18, but with the clear intention of looking much younger. Google's bots found that thread (even though by now it was already archived) and it caused ad serving to be disabled site wide because it's a violation that Google considers very severe.

Google's FAQ says that after such a violation, their decision to disable ad serving on a site is usually final. But I've already deleted the thread and appealed their decision. Hopefully they will enable ad serving since without it, I will not be able to keep the site up because it would be too big a burden for me financially.

So the moral of the story? You might think it's fun to post stuff like that. But the consequences for Fiero.nl can be severe. So please be careful what you post.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to help where I can. I set up a recurring donation to PFF. It's not a lot, but it's what I can do right now.

Brad

[This message has been edited by Fats (edited 04-21-2016).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Hopefully they will enable ad serving since without it, I will not be able to keep the site up because it would be too big a burden for me financially.

Woa Nellie!

Can we sign a petition for them or something?

Maybe some of the vendors can do ads directly? Don't know how it works.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-21-2016).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No way, The critics have arrived and they are GOD !

was the word spelled correctly? in the thread ? The Bots are taking over, its all over for OT now.

it wasn't any of my threads was it, I can't imagine all the words we use are going to come back and bite us right in the ass.

Sorry about that chief !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-21-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This info should be spread all thru PFF and even facebook, maybe someone knows another way, if Google says no.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought we have always taken steps in our conversations to avoid this very thing...but I guess you can't tell a Bot that.

The sad part is, this penalty has been in the World for quite a while, now.
Say something your sponsor doesn't like, and he pulls the plug on his (cash) support.
The difference is, now it's a machine, instituted by a middleman.

I hope we can resolve this.
Good luck.

tolerant leftist

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2016 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tolerant leftistSend a Private Message to tolerant leftistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[Edited by Cliff Pennock: Post removed]
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2016 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tolerant leftist:

Ped****** was the word? or Ped********** ?

Yikes.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-21-2016).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Petrol***** is more like it.

Would this have anything to do with the bogging down that was occurring today on the forum, until I disabled scripting here? Was fine until today, though.

Edited...pfft.

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 04-22-2016).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, so much for the repeal by Cliff after that post.
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ads are back, at least on the main OT screen.

Oops, still gone.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 04-21-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tolerant leftist:

Well, you're obviously a troll. I gave you a negative just to try to get you out of here quicker. (FYI, this might be the first time I've done this.) It's obvious you're TRYING to get PFF kicked off line.

If you have some sort of beef with someone here or with Cliff personally, leave it personal. There's no reason to act like a 10 year old and try to punish the entire forum. Take your temper tantrum elsewhere.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My appeal has been denied... Not sure what to do next. I can't keep this forum running without the ads.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much is needed to run the forum each month?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd delete the entire O/T and appeal again.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

How much is needed to run the forum each month?

Yup, or at least the Google ad equivalent.

Otherwise, as mentioned, delete O/T.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this can't be resolved I'd hate to see PFF disappear. I'd recommend adding a paypal subscription link or a patreon. For those of us that would like to see the ads gone for good, this might be a better, more profitable solution for the forum.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 04-22-2016).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Cliff,

If Google's bots can find this material, is it possible that someone offers a bot-powered "site cleanup" service that you could engage to help clean up Pennock's..? Not Google itself, I guess, because they would probably have told you about it (?)

I guess this is something you would already know about, but--no stone left unturned.

(also posted this in General Fiero Chat)

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-22-2016).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it comes down to shutting her down, perhaps you can start it up again on some free forum site (zetaboards?), and maybe find somewhere online to archive Fiero.NL, or else just sell people copies on CD or some such. Yeah, you'll lose some/much of your control, but you'll also be freed up of any financial burden or maintenance headaches.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

%^&*()_ is more like it.

Would this have anything to do with the bogging down that was occurring today on the forum, until I disabled scripting here? Was fine until today, though.

CAN YOU GO EDIT YOUR POST.. Not very smart... remove that word

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 04-22-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

You may have noticed no ads are being displayed anymore. There's usually one at the top of a thread page and one at the bottom. But, Google has disabled all ad serving to Fiero.nl. Why? Because a while back, somebody started a thread with subject "Pedoph****" and in that thread a few images were posted of girls over 18, but with the clear intention of looking much younger. Google's bots found that thread (even though by now it was already archived) and it caused ad serving to be disabled site wide because it's a violation that Google considers very severe.

Google's FAQ says that after such a violation, their decision to disable ad serving on a site is usually final. But I've already deleted the thread and appealed their decision. Hopefully they will enable ad serving since without it, I will not be able to keep the site up because it would be too big a burden for me financially.

So the moral of the story? You might think it's fun to post stuff like that. But the consequences for Fiero.nl can be severe. So please be careful what you post.

I'd prune the whole O/T and let it start fresh.. as it has nothing of value as far as Fiero's go..
and hopefully,, going forward people can p.m. you anything that might cause a red flag..
as searching through the o/t threads looking for anything google might have issue with would take weeks.. just prune the whole o/t and start with a clean slate..

PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
I'd prune the whole O/T and let it start fresh.. as it has nothing of value as far as Fiero's go..
and hopefully,, going forward people can p.m. you anything that might cause a red flag..
as searching through the o/t threads looking for anything google might have issue with would take weeks.. just prune the whole o/t and start with a clean slate..

Honestly as much as I'd hate to lose T/OT I actually think this would be th best way to go. Sacrifice T/OT to get ads back so you don't lose PFF as a whole. - And this is coming from someone who doesn't even own a Fiero and only participates in T/OT but I can see the greater value in the forum as a whole and in Cliff's livelihood.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CAN YOU GO EDIT YOUR POST.. Not very smart... remove that word

the word petrol? as in gasoline?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe offer up a survey... pay access, delete O/T, or?

Frankly, if O/T is the issue then dump it. There is little to no value as it relates to the Fiero.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make the TRASH CAN and O/T only readable to members that are logged in.. this way the search engine bots can not crawl those areas..

It's not hard to do,,, On my PHP forum.. it's in the permissions settings..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 04-22-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by Stubby79:

the word petrol? as in gasoline?

that's not what was there... thanks for changing it
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's probably fair to say that the "problems" are most likely in the TRASH CAN and TOTALLY O/T sections.
That's is where the most infighting, questionable terms and name calling happens.

(perhaps we should leave the "G word" out in case they search for threads calling them names)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2016).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

It's probably fair to say that the "problems" are most likely in the TRASH CAN and TOTALLY O/T sections.
That's is where the most infighting, questionable terms and name calling happens.

Cliff,
Please "NUKE" TOT, the Trash Can and all of those topics in the archives. I don't know that this will eliminate all of the potential threats but, it should help and we can all survive with out the topics in those sections.

I'd also like to suggest that you develop a special vote that carries more weight for banning anyone who posts Pron. material. If that doesn't take care of the problem, then I guess we'll have to figure out how to get through our days without the forum. I'd really hate to see that happen......... NUKE it Cliff!!!!!

------------------
Ron

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff - DELETE all threads with NSFW in title. I searched using NSFW and there's 201 of them.
Then I searched IN the threads for NSFW and came up with a bunch more threads of "adult" content and links.
Google may also be unhappy with some of the threads on Muslims that are here.

I've also sent you a PM.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-22-2016).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
godlikeproductions has Google ads and the world's most horrid content. They have a membership agreement now, but went years without
it. Might be something to look into.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

that's not what was there... thanks for changing it

It started with petrol. You'll note that Cliff kicked out the guy who used the wrong word, and he didn't touch my post....
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know PFF filters swear words with **** . Is it possible to include or add other words like Phed?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Cliff - DELETE all threads with NSFW in title. I searched using NSFW and there's 201 of them.
Then I searched IN the threads for NSFW and came up with a bunch more threads of "adult" content and links.
Google may also be unhappy with some of the threads on Muslims that are here.

I've also sent you a PM.

You got a point there....I run an EXTREMELY anti-islam website (poking fun at them) and google wont go NEAR me for the ads--but then the whole site (wont post it here but a few guys have seen it) is dedicated to that topic, not just a random post.

I am with the rest cliff--nuke T/OT and Trash Can and start gain, with stronger filters. I haven't owned a Fiero in 7 years, or a Pontiac for that matter in 5, and after some things that have happened I honestly don't think I will ever get back "into" custom or sports cars, I am perfectly happy doing my own minor repairs and maintainance and just cant be bothered with the headaches and life-problems (work, family, neighbors ect) that go hand-in-hand with the time, money and effort required to do more than that with a vehicle. I really am tired of fighting the whole world for my own time over it. I hit the same point with homebuilt aircraft too, so its not new to me. This is strictly a "social club" for me.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 04-22-2016).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a handy link for anyone....
https://www.change.org/
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nobody has to agree with me but if OT is gone or censored to the point of not being able to talk about reality, I'm done. I'll still be happy the Fiero resources are saved but my use of PFF doesn't revolve around the Fiero anymore. I'd rather scroll through PFF to read a mix off political and personal posts than to get it from Facebook. Many of us would have been gone long ago had it not been for OT. I don't think PFF could survive off ads without OT and would have gone the way of other forums.

Again, this is just my opinion and one of the reasons I think we should do minimal clean up and if that fails go subscription.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Nobody has to agree with me but if OT is gone or censored to the point of not being able to talk about reality, I'm done. I'll still be happy the Fiero resources are saved but my use of PFF doesn't revolve around the Fiero anymore. I'd rather scroll through PFF to read a mix off political and personal posts than to get it from Facebook. Many of us would have been gone long ago had it not been for OT. I don't think PFF could survive off ads without OT and would have gone the way of other forums.

Again, this is just my opinion and one of the reasons I think we should do minimal clean up and if that fails go subscription.

Well, close enough anyway.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Christ Cliff how would we know what the sensor bots consider out of line, we have many picture threads that have pictures of younger women in them, think Girls without Fiero's thread. Some of those girls looked a lot younger than they were. Does the thread have to talk about the pedo**** thing? or just have picture of young girls in it?
Really am trying to get a handle on this PC BS google is doing. it is pure and simple censorship on a very wide scale with a lot of leeway to them and little for us to go by as to what would put us in their sights.

Steve
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Christ Cliff how would we know what the sensor bots consider out of line, we have many picture threads that have pictures of younger women in them, think Girls without Fiero's thread. Some of those girls looked a lot younger than they were. Does the thread have to talk about the pedo**** thing? or just have picture of young girls in it?
Really am trying to get a handle on this PC BS google is doing. it is pure and simple censorship on a very wide scale with a lot of leeway to them and little for us to go by as to what would put us in their sights.

Steve

Its more than likely keying off words not links or pictures.
Not saying that a thread isn't flagged then someone reviews the links.
But the bot is looking for key words then flags the site.

Perhaps they are just not generating any revenue from the ads and this is how they cut it.
When was the last time anyone clicked one of the ads?
I never saw them because my ad blocker was always turned on.

I don't normally click on ads because I don't buy things on line.
Besides the ads that do populate the correct content are not something I would buy.
Most of the time they are generated after I purchased something.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Perhaps they are just not generating any revenue from the ads and this is how they cut it.

Besides the ads that do populate the correct content are not something I would buy.

You may be on to something, but I have to wonder if a banned member or maybe multiple ones went to Google out of spite. This forum, at its worse is disney land compared to some of the others Google allows advertising on.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Thing is Cliff already has a word blocker and that word is not in there, I don't think anyway. it blocks words like Biatch, it is one of those words with several definitions and meaning. To a dog person it is what they might call their female dog. To another it would have a derogatory meaning but not the first.

There are many words with 2 meaning out there I am just wondering if there is some sort of list for these words we should stay away from?

Steve
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock