Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  So I'm considering joining the armed forces need some insight from the pros (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
So I'm considering joining the armed forces need some insight from the pros by pontiackid86
Started on: 06-18-2013 11:44 PM
Replies: 165 (3154 views)
Last post by: avengador1 on 08-04-2015 04:50 PM
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Thats why I want to go out for it, I hear it teaches you a lot and it makes employment in the civilian world much better and with no college background it would really help me

It teaches you discipline and you get great on the job training. You can also do college courses part time that are paid for (I highly suggest it if you decide to join) Its a benefit just for being Active Duty Military and only on Active Duty. Here is some information about it.

https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/ta_info.aspx
IP: Logged
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No It is a she in fact and she has been making my life hell since I moved down here.

Having spent 4 yrs Marine and 5 years USN, I can say you don't know what hell is--yet. Can't handle a beechy woman at a truck service center? Wait till a female ensign chews you out from stem to stern just because she doesn't like the cut of your jib.

I served 4 yrs USMC Aviation and then 5 yrs in USN surface fleet.
You'd be a better fit for the AF flyboys or maybe surface USN if you lose that "I" attitude.

I just dont see myself as an Army or Marine kind of guy

I think you are right.
Feel free to prove me wrong tho.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did this turn out?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talked to the recruiter And I have some weight to lose plus study for the asveb But other than that I'm all for it
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

It's OK, I'd be butt hurt too staying locked up for 90 days with a bunch of men.

Submarine gay jokes? Didn't see that one coming did ya

The only problem is, there are NO guys on the sub who are that purty. My God, I would sit in the mess decks during mid-rats looking at some of the guys who just rolled out of their racks for early watch and wonder how their wives would wake up to them every morning. Ugly mother****ers with greasy hair all sticking up in all directions, hadn't showered in a couple of days, eyes all puffy and half asleep. You gotta have a strong stomach to eat sliders while sitting across a table from some of those guys. Yeesh!

Originally posted by xquaid:

<snip>
Just think how much it sucks to be eating runny scrambled eggs, in the rain, which is getting in your eggs, which are cold, as you eat them under a tree in the woods. Fun stuff!

Sounds like the last backpacking trip I took! And that was supposedly a vacation!
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Talked to the recruiter And I have some weight to lose plus study for the asveb But other than that I'm all for it

Awesome. I have a friend that had to lose 100 lbs to join. He was a huge guy before he joined the Army, now he is still huge but with alot more muscle.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick, I don't know you too well, so I won't pretend to know how you would do.... .. but it is NOT for everyone, and it requires discipline, the ability to do whatever you are told without question and the ability to keep your mouth shut.

It is an 8 year commitment, at the very least, 4 of which are inactive reserve when you can be called back at any time. I was in the Navy in the surface fleet .. this is not a job for people who like to think for themselves. Not saying you are not capable of following orders, but as Ron said, some of them will make little to no sense and that separated the good soldiers from the loose cannons. If you for a second think you might say "why?" instead of "yes sir" or "aye aye" to any order, you need to get this notion out of your head- pronto. For four years (at least) your time is not your own, only what they choose to let you have.

On the other hand, bootcamp will get you into very nice shape and teach you how to fold your TShirts very efficiently. So many people had problems with bootcamp... I loved it. I appreciated the structure and discipline of training compared to looseness when I actually got into the fleet. I was really disappointed the first time my mid-watch relief never showed up to because I would have never done that to him or anyone. (6th general order) Some people, once they have been in, do not take it very seriously anymore and it actually hurt for me to be around people like that while I was in. I was one of a few squared away sailors surrounded by dirtbags and reservists/weekend warriors.

Lastly, if you must enlist, whatever you are told GET IT IN WRITING. We had a bunch of recruiters promise the moon and then delivered more like a moon pie. I was supposed to be able to "switch jobs" once I got to Great Lakes so I could be an IS. Instead, I was an SK for the entirety of my enlistment, and my bootcamp RDC told me the first thing I ought to do when I went back home was go see the recruiter and knock his teeth out. So, lesson for ya, get the contract, review it and make sure it is to your liking before you sign it. Once you do that, and swear in, your ass is theirs.

Good luck to you if you do join, it is honorable and admirable. Get ready for them to ride your tubby ass and whip it into shape. Its nothing personal, fatbodies do not make good soldiers and they have to get you within regs before you ship out!
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll say... It's umm... asvab...

Seriously though, good luck Rick. It's a option I wish I could have had when I was your age.

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I don't think you'll make it, if you do it will give you a taste of what married life could be like if you ever do get lucky enough to find a woman who will put up with you.

that said prove me wrong and I would be happier than hell and give you credit for it. good luck no Mater what you decide.

oh and I spelt that wrong on purpose.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still shooting for it... just need to lose a little more weight
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, People really think you're a loser on here. WTF?

If you are as fuxked up as bad as people here say then I say do it. Do it hard.

Even it you fail it probably do you good.

So you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not 100% true Pokey--he has weight to lose...
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taijiguy:

Baaahahahahahahahaaaa. Noooooo, I'm sure you're right. Military guys just don't know ANYTHING about f***ing with your head.

Oh man, are you in for a rude awakening.

Like the time we sent some green horn jarhead over to the female CPO's office at bravo co. to ask for 4 feet of 4 inch fallopian tubing? Or the infamous Seabee knockout kit?

Edit to add...I'd say go for it PK, do it up! Like posted above get a good MOS. Your ASVAB scores will dictate the available options. Rock the crap out of the ASVAB test and the world is your oyster. Fail it miserably and you could end up peeling potatoes.

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 07-25-2013).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
7 days to lose 5 lbs... (i know its an are you committed task) but if i do it they said they'll process me
sorefeet

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sorefeetSend a Private Message to sorefeetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell yea, do it man. Even with your ASVAB scores they will find a job for you. It doesnt matter what branch you pick. They all need tater peelers, and shitter cleaners during basic and boot camp. After that if you want to go for a technical mos, try being a street sign. If you go infantry you can be an 0311HS (human shield). You just get out front and stand as wide as you can for as long as you can. Good luck.
sorefeet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sorefeetSend a Private Message to sorefeetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sorefeet

132 posts
Member since Jan 2007
Also, as soon as you get to basic or boot camp, volunteer as the scribe, its an easy job that will get you some points with the drill sergeants. Do good at that and you could put yourself in line to be an officers assistant, taking dictation, typing up letters and announcements, another easy job. One more you might want to look into would be a reporter for the military papers, your always good at bringing a story to life. Once again, good luck.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We'll considering my best friend got me setup today to get fired, Military bound I go
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We'll considering my best friend got me setup today to get fired, Military bound I go

Not much of a friend there.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Not much of a friend there.

He's gona get his.. I know everything hes done from shady business transactions all the way up to cheating on his wife.. (he was the assistant manager at where I work), I just have a decision to make if i dont get in the navy tomorrow, work here for a couple more months and enlist or cut my losses get my old job back and work back home until im good to go in.. it was a blessing in disguise,
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Once you get the weight off, don't do anything to put that weight back on. Fail a Weight-In and they might Chapter you out, granted its a Honorable Discharge, but you won't receive the GI Bill or any other benefits. Have you decided on what you want to do yet? Don't let the recruiter sell you on something, because chances are you won't like the job and it will make your career unpleasant. Become familiar with this stuff as well. Don't bother getting a hair cut for boot camp either, they will give you their hair cut the first day there.

http://www.public.navy.mil/...sonalAppearance.aspx

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=257

The Sailors Creed is pretty short, alot shorter than the Soldiers Creed. While I was in Basic, I got smoked so many times because I couldn't remember it or messed it up.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sailor's Creed.
"I'll keep the water on the outside of the boat--always"
PFF
System Bot
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He's gona get his.. I know everything hes done from shady business transactions all the way up to cheating on his wife.. (he was the assistant manager at where I work), I just have a decision to make if i dont get in the navy tomorrow, work here for a couple more months and enlist or cut my losses get my old job back and work back home until im good to go in.. it was a blessing in disguise,

magnesium citrate will help lose a few pounds if youre worried about making weight at MEPS. just give it enough time to work, at least a day.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll believe that when I see it.

Steve

------------------

Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
I'll believe that when I see it.
Steve

Have you ever said anything positive to any member under 40 here?

I have faith in you PK. If you wan't it bad enough you'll find away.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

Have you ever said anything positive to any member under 40 here?

I have faith in you PK. If you wan't it bad enough you'll find away.

Sure, lots, I have also said lots of not positive things to lots of members over 40 as well, I'm an equal opportunity ass hole,it is just PKs track record, he can't keep a car or girlfriend or anything for more than 6 months.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-07-2013).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Sailor's Creed.
"I'll keep the water on the outside of the boat--always"

LOL! Good one.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Once you get the weight off, don't do anything to put that weight back on. Fail a Weight-In and they might Chapter you out, granted its a Honorable Discharge, but you won't receive the GI Bill or any other benefits. Have you decided on what you want to do yet? Don't let the recruiter sell you on something, because chances are you won't like the job and it will make your career unpleasant. Become familiar with this stuff as well. Don't bother getting a hair cut for boot camp either, they will give you their hair cut the first day there.

http://www.public.navy.mil/...sonalAppearance.aspx

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=257

The Sailors Creed is pretty short, alot shorter than the Soldiers Creed. While I was in Basic, I got smoked so many times because I couldn't remember it or messed it up.

I'm going to go all out for it, I would like to get a job in something technical maybe computers or navigation Something like that. Something that i can either take out when my service is up or continue on with if i decide to go career
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He's gona get his.. I know everything hes done from shady business transactions all the way up to cheating on his wife.. (he was the assistant manager at where I work)...

Why would he set you up to be fired ? If you don't like sucking his crock, how will you ever make it in the Navy, or life ?
I will tell you how.
Let him get his. Carry yourself tall and proud and let his chickens find home and come roost. You will be a bigger man than I am.
Me ? I would have quit a long time ago. I would have made an issue out of it (his practices, ... job politics). I would have burnt that bridge with incendiary devices (human interaction). You missed the opportune time.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You are in Houston, ... Texas. I can find a job in your hometown. Don't wanna' try but I could. Here, the trucking industry is rampant. Armored guards are in demand. You will never have anything (even if you have money) if you don't set roots. I learned that being a kid of a career military man.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couple hours, wish me luck
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Couple hours, wish me luck

Let us know how it goes.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to take a massive dump before the weigh in! Best of luck!
PFF
System Bot
sorefeet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sorefeetSend a Private Message to sorefeetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how did it go? Have you taken tye ASVAB yet?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, its been over 2 hours.. wth happened?
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess is he went to Burger King before and forgot to take a huge dump
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went there today and im just teetering on the 25% body fat, Going another week. now that I have the means to work my ass off all day on my body i should be good.. did 4 1/2 miles on the treadmill tonight and jumped on the scale and for the 1st time in about 8 years I'm at 199 lbs with cloths and shoes on. I really feel proud of myself.. The one thing im very proud of is I did drop the 5 lbs that was needed but my waist line needs to go down a little more.... Honestley I've never worked my body for something this hard in my life and I'm really feeling the results.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool!

That dreaded body fat %. What's it around the neck, chest and waist measurements? All about a inch or two here or there?

Personally I would double my treadmill routine. Shoot for double what your doing now. Take a few months and rip it off and up. Tell the Recru you wanna rip it up. He will support you. Live in poverty for a couple of months if that is what it takes. Were not talking about band camp here. Forget all about the, "Bobby said to Cindy" then, "Cindy told Billy" drama bull shizz. Were talking about the soldier next to you depending on you...There will be no time outs or lemme just catch my breath's. They will try to break you, physically and mentally.

8 count body builders, forever, begin....

Whats your mile and a half time? Push ups? Sit ups? Passing the weigh in is one thing passing the PT is another. And passing the PT every day or so for the first few months is even another, nevermind the rest of your career.

You can do it!
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Went there today and im just teetering on the 25% body fat, Going another week. now that I have the means to work my ass off all day on my body i should be good.. did 4 1/2 miles on the treadmill tonight and jumped on the scale and for the 1st time in about 8 years I'm at 199 lbs with cloths and shoes on. I really feel proud of myself.. The one thing im very proud of is I did drop the 5 lbs that was needed but my waist line needs to go down a little more.... Honestley I've never worked my body for something this hard in my life and I'm really feeling the results.

Start doing some crunches in between running. So run like 2 miles, then do like 100 crunches, then run 2 more miles. Stay away from starches (Potatoes, Fries, chips). Eat fruit and vegetables without butter in them. I used to help the bigger guys on my Wrestling team lose weight before meets. Drink enough water to hydrate, don't drink too much because your body will store it, causing you to gain weight. Be more active doing your work day as well, if there is an elevator, take the stairs instead.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weight is startin to cut down a little bit slower now but its due to the fact I burned off all the water weight i had, I feel really good right now. I'm able to job 4 miles on a 5% incline without slowing down for a break. My body feels tighter, I can do things now without feeling winded, I really feel good for the 1st time in a long time. Body fat percentage I might already be there but ideal weight for the navy is 186 lbs and i got about 10 lbs to go for that

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 08-14-2013).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
186? Damn, I'd have been told to pack on some weight if I was able to join, LOL! When I graduated high school I was 6'ish and 135-140. Now I'm up to about 165-170.

Keep at it Rick!
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ooooooh! I can hardly wait for the thread "I got booted from the Navy because of someone else's doing" or " I had to get out because of some jerk did this and I got blamed for it" or the "They lied to me and I just walked away because I felt like I was being screwed" thread.

I'm all goosebumps in anticipation!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock