Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Announcements
  Would you mind a sponsored banner? (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Would you mind a sponsored banner? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 04-11-2002 07:16 AM
Replies: 220 (5175 views)
Last post by: Archie on 06-22-2002 06:57 AM
Butter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring on the changes Cliff.

Given your past discretion on issues, I’m sure this will be done tastefully.

IP: Logged
Red Frog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red FrogSend a Private Message to Red FrogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, Although I'm new here to your forum, I have found your service to our Fiero community an valuable asset and will support any decision you make. Maybe we could donate our parts vehicles and parts to the PFF Auction? Thank You, and whatever you decide upon will be agreeable.
Randy
grinthock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grinthockClick Here to visit grinthock's HomePageSend a Private Message to grinthockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can see a small problem that may develop, we need to look at this from all perspectives so please don't think I am being overly negative.

Let's say (Sorry Arch, I am using you as an exmaple because the I am trying to avoid using another), V8 Archie has an ad.

Some guy had a problem with Archie, now Archie decides he's getting bad mouthed and pulls his banner ad.

As long as guys don't start yanking their ad or try to influence the forum by saying

"I paid for that banner ad Cliff so delete that thread saying bad stuff about me"

As long as the banner doesn't impede on our free speech ability here (which cliff gives us MORE than enough latitude) I am happy.

PayPal Donations would be easy, mailing address, PFF Wares would be GREAT!

I will contact my Laser Cutter guy today and see if I can get him to laser cut some PFF Keychains... Anyone interested? PM me so I can get a count... All proceeds to cliff. See my new thread in Gen about it if you want to comment.. Don't reply here.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grinthock:
As long as guys don't start yanking their ad or try to influence the forum by saying

"I paid for that banner ad Cliff so delete that thread saying bad stuff about me"

I see your concern, but that will not happen. If a vendor threatens to pull an ad because they are bad-mouthed on the forum, I'll actually pull the ad for them. Advertising on the forum doesn't give them more rights.

VERN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VERNSend a Private Message to VERNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DON'T CHANGE A THING. IF YOU NEED TO ADD BANNERS TO PAY THEN DO SO. I AM A NEW FIERO OWNER AND I RECENTLY HAD A BIG PROBLEM WITH THE CAR(YOU CAN READ MY POSTING) IF IT WSN'T FOT THIS OPEN FORUM THEN THE CAR WOULDN'T BE FIXED YET. BECAUSE THE MECHANIC HAD NEVER SEEN MY PROBLEM BEFORE ...THANKS I WILL BE BACK AS NEEDED ...AGAIN KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
ElectricFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectricFieroClick Here to visit ElectricFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectricFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bottom line is.. it's your bottom line. Go for it, but you might consider text only to cut down on the bandwidth. That would hurt those that have a need to post pictures and don't have a place to host them, but it would also cut out the large picture sig's that we've seen over and over again.

Jim

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a good game plan to me Cliff! Just keep it all simple enough for yourself so it doesn't turn into an administrative nightmare!

Have you gotten any feedback from any vendors on whether they are interested in putting up a banner? (You don't have to name names, but I know there are a number of Vendors here)

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure all the bandwidth is from the forum?
If I down load PIP and upload pictures what stops me from linking them from other web sites? http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jakedragon/test.htm
Right click on the picture and it is from your https://www.fiero.nl/uploads/ directory.
RoadRunner and other ISPs don't allow other domains to link from their sites. Tripod is another example.
Might be worth looking at.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for being so kind as to consider giving us visitors the priviledge of giving our input.
I say do what you have to do to keep the "machine" going.
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, do what you have to. This forum has been a gift to us all... one that has cost you dearly, and I don't won't to see it go away.

hoop

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it

PFF
System Bot
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2002 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Cliff u need another job.

2. You can do the advertisement thing, it looks decent, and its how juno use to do it when it was free.

3. Only people who have paid membership,(an affordable $10 a month), are allowed to post.

4. Cut off internet people from viewing the forum, and only limit to the people who come here now.

5. Sell your soul to the devil

Cliff, this happened to another guys forum http://www.turboford.com
that i go too, and he is telling everyone to really really limit posting and use the search function, and only specific things can be posted.

Cliff , good luck, and i dont want to lose U and all these people on here, and this forum. Theres a lot of info here.

------------------
74 Vw Beetle
83 Honda Nighthawk 550
84 Pontiac Fiero
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo

Selling a car is like giving your own kid for adoption.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
Are you sure all the bandwidth is from the forum?
If I down load PIP and upload pictures what stops me from linking them from other web sites?

That will only work for a few days. I wrote a program that periodically removes images that are not linked to from the forum.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2002 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool, we had a problem like that. Stopped them cold, nothing worse than a smart-ass that wants a free ride.
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not, but...

Instead of just doing ONE thing here to 'fix the problem', why not do several?

First thing is to identify the actual problem: usage of bandwidth.

Solution one: eliminate the uploading of pictures here - serve your own, or post them elsewhere.
Solution two: eliminate sig's that use graphics. Sure, they're not big, but when they get re-transmitted a zillion times a day that's GOTTA add up!
Solution three: Your ads. Post 'em up. Bring 'em on. We've been enjoying a free ride till now. You all know the bumper sticker from the 60's (so I won't repeat it here, ahem).

If you/we treat this board like a person and give it a 'budget' you/it should be able to come out OK. Little bit here, little bit there.. cut, trim... done. As am I.

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the banner ads, as I have said before...what are you waiting for?

------------------
- Flamberge

FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

What ever you decide is fine by me. You've done a great job with this forum and you'll continue to do so. I have no doubts in my mind this is one of the best forums on the net.

Good job and Thanks Cliff,

GT87

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff another question, why not just require a login to view the forum and pictures posted?
I would not be opposed to putting in a user ID and password every time I come here.
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring on the Banners !!! Do whatever it takes to keep this forum up and running. Thanks for the forum Cliff !
CharlieGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieGTClick Here to visit CharlieGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to CharlieGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been a member here for almost 2 years. I would be more than willing to make a donation, if you choose that route, not for the right to continue using it but as payment for the use and help I've gotten from it. I visit this forum on a daily basis. I do not care what type of banners you put up. If they are the type that pay you per click I will be more than happy to click on them every time I visit to help you get money.

-Charlie

3.8T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8TClick Here to visit 3.8T's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3.8TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do it up!

------------------

Sir, step outta da car please...SIR, STEP OUTTA DA CAR!

PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring on the banners cliff! They don't need to be Fiero related... only auto related as you stated sevral times
Cheers!
Alex
FieroRookie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2002 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRookieSend a Private Message to FieroRookieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just a rookie looking for a Fiero but the volume of info in this forum is so awesome, I'd pay for it. Or put up with Banners, pop ups, or whatever. Just my 2c

Kevin

mailedfist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mailedfistClick Here to visit mailedfist's HomePageSend a Private Message to mailedfistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you first said that you were gonna put banners on I thought that was cool, do what you have to do as long as there are no pop-ups, but then you said they would only be Fiero related, now that wouldn't bother me 1 bit. Go for it Just my 2 cents.

------------------

dewitt5150@hotmail.com AIM:MAILEDxFIST

PearlBlueSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PearlBlueSoulClick Here to visit PearlBlueSoul's HomePageSend a Private Message to PearlBlueSoulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey there Cliff. how're things here at the Fiero Forum? I see you're runnin into the same problems we are now. :-/ Bandwidth/storage 'n all. You might try collaborating with Bill Strong on our BBS for some ideas. I'm pretty sure he would be willing to share options with you. Maybe even know of some people who would want to advertise. I duno, figure it's worth a shot? ::shrug::

------------------
1962 Cadillac Deville | My back seat ownz joo!

fieroman84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman84Send a Private Message to fieroman84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that fiero related banners are fine and its totally reasonable to have them especially if your paying out of pocket, regardless do what you need to do I will always go to this forum.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, reading thru this all takes a long time. I know that everyone has had a lot to say and I guess I'll add my 2 cents to the din.

Originally posted by grinthock:

Let's say (Sorry Arch, I am using you as an exmaple because the I am trying to avoid using another),

I'm glad you used me for example.... because I'm gonna use me for an example too.

Cliff, I'm with you on whatever you decide to do. I think any banners is a bad idea (I'll explain why in a minute) but if you decide on banners, I'll be the 1st in line for a few.

Why am I against banners?.... Let me explain it like this.... Let's say I'm Joe Blow average Fiero owner & Let's say I'm a dedicated fan of 3.8 Fiero engine swaps. Let's say that one day I happen upon the Forum page and it happens that Archie's banner is being displayed. My immediate reaction would be that the site is owned by Archie or that Archie has influence to that site. We all know that wouldn't be try, BUT the PERCEPTION to the outsider is what counts. I've been to several other Forums and have considered joining a few of them but Advertizing banners etc. have kept me away from them. REMEMBER, the outsider, doesn't know that the banners don't signal influence until they have been here for a while.

Ok, so what do I think could be an answer to raising some funds or lowering costs?

Two things can be done to lower costs... immediately eliminate the O/T section and for the people that have more than one PFF screen name charge a $25/year membership fee for each additional screen name.

Since Cliff won't charge membership dues, (even though many would happily pay them) then I think that Banners are something that HAS to be done. However, to try to limit the potential negative impact that banners could have on the open style of this Forum, I advocate the following funding method.

We know that Cliff will not accept membership dues, I suggest that PFF'ers get together and make donations to a fund.... (We'll call it the "PFF Underground Members Fund" or "PFF u MF") this fund will inturn purchase as much banner space on Cliff's forum as it can. Simple as that..... I can see banners that say something like "This banner paid for by the members of this forum".

Another option for those who claim that they would be willing to pay yearly dues would be for a couple of members to get together and jointly buy a banner. It could say something like.... "the following 3 members of PFF, in an effort to keep this Forum free of advertizing bought this banner..."

Ok, that's my ideas.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 04-14-2002).]

Tonker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TonkerSend a Private Message to TonkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,

Just brain-storming here, but have you considered making a new section for commercial vendors? Maybe make a section so that only they(paying "advertisers", I suppose) could initiate threads in that section, but once the thread has been opened all PFF members could add comments. This would add a forum dedicated to what people out there are marketing. I'm not sure the idea has any merit, but maybe it's something you can build on.

85SE
From: Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada (yes, the town is named Paradise!)

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEClick Here to visit 85SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
We know that Cliff will not accept membership dues, I suggest that PFF'ers get together and make donations to a fund.... (We'll call it the "PFF Underground Members Fund" or "PFF u MF") this fund will inturn purchase as much banner space on Cliff's forum as it can. Simple as that..... I can see banners that say something like "This banner paid for by the members of this forum".

Archie,

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Billiant ideas, both of the ones you listed. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that Cliff won't go along with them - he said vendors afterall. But if he will go along, I want in to one or the other!

Hell, I offer to co-ordinate the fund. I would offer, however, that people would be more comfortable to send their money to a better known forum member. Whatever...perhaps someone else will step to the plate who is better known and trusted.

Andrew

------------------
Andrew - 85SE - AKA Fieroless in Newfoundland :(

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know how well I'm trusted, but I guess I'm pretty well known. I'll do it if anyone wants me to.
FieroHarry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it Cliff,
You shouldnt have to hold all the burden for the cost of this.
I see your point over donations and dues.

SO banner away, because fiero related stuff is always welcome to me!

------------------
"If you want to blend in, take the bus!"
85GT The "Mistress"

85GT awaiting bone yard

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2002 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, that's a great idea! I'm still shaking my head and laughing. Reminds me of public TV. And unlike public TV, I'd be more than happy to buy or pitch in on a banner.
87ECO5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87ECO5Send a Private Message to 87ECO5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
would you mind sponsored banners?

Not at all! Whatever it takes to keep this place alive!

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2002 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
personalized ads!?!

I owe Cliff for his services, and I would gladly buy a month to place a banner of me and my car, and I know the perfect place to take the picture.... Right in front of
the street sign that says
"Pennock Ave", in Kennett Sqaure, PA

I just need someone with good photoshop skills to make the banner.
we could all do this... a little $ to offset his costs.

------------------
84se Silver 2m4 - Daily Driver
86se Silver 2m6 - Current Project Restoration Almost done!
87GT Burgandy - Future Project!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2002 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff I agree that these banners may be beneficial to many users here and I think it is a good idea for you to do that.

Jennifer

Dumba$$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dumba$$Send a Private Message to Dumba$$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if your intrested, check out bimmerforums.com
they have a nice setup that includes un-annoying sponsors
i like the way this is setup
just a thought

------------------
Rich
Sioux Falls SD

86' 2m6 4.10
92' 325i
98' Acura CL 3.0

let me ask you this, can you kick, MY ass

cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2002 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not mind banner ads. I love the forum and would hate to see it go away. The forum is very important to all Fiero owners out there.

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2002 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:
personalized ads!?!

I owe Cliff for his services, and I would gladly buy a month to place a banner of me and my car...

Also sounds like a good idea. Then those people with the huge signatures would be satisfied when they can have their car at the top for all to see for a few weeks. I'd do the same thing; sounds like a pretty good idea too!

BTW: When are these banners starting?

cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2002 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I have an idea. This may not be for everybody, but wouldn't it be cool if you were cruising around in the Fiero and you saw another Fiero with a 1"x3" "Pennock's Fiero" sticker on the back windshield. It would be nice to notice other members while driving around town. I saw another Fiero this morning and wondered if they participate in the forum. Kinda like a car club. You could charge a minimal amount, and recoup some of those fees. Just an Idea.
chris

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

donny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnySend a Private Message to donnyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been a member for quite awhile and I think that anything that Cliff decides to do is fine with me. I wouldn't mind banners or a monthly fee at all. Cliff shouldn't have to pay for something we all enjoy.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock