Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered by Irrationable
Started on: 05-21-2015 12:46 AM
Replies: 272 (12360 views)
Last post by: SebFGT on 08-24-2022 09:23 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received mine, too. Installed it last week. It's quite impressive!
If Alex doesn't post pics of it soon, I will. (I suspect he's busy getting life sorted at school.)

Good show!
IP: Logged
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE

Unfortunately due to time constraints and the demands of my graduate school schedule, I will not be recovering steering wheels or shift knobs for the foreseeable future. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone. With any luck, I hope to be back at it come 2017.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I received mine, too. Installed it last week. It's quite impressive!
If Alex doesn't post pics of it soon, I will. (I suspect he's busy getting life sorted at school.)

Good show!

Pics Please!!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we go...

It's a bit hard to see, but the stitching is blue gray, to match the paint on the car.

Here's a before pic...

I'm quite pleased. Nice work, Alex!
predmeister

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i spy with my eye some after market goodies in the above pic
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2016 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although I am currently on hiatus from recovering wheels, I do want to make one last post to show off a couple of the unique wheels I did in late July and early August for the last of my 2016 customers. Below is a GT wheel done in Mr. Mike's dark grey and smooth black leather with gunmetal grey stitching.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2016 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Next up is a really unique wheel. This wheel started off as a molded vinyl three-spoke commonly referred to as the "NP5" style wheel. These wheels were commonly used on formula cars in place of the horn paddle three-spoke wheels. With the old vinyl starting to crack, I decide to take a stab at recovering the wheel in leather. This wheel was recovered in my black pebble leather with extra padding and a metallic light blue stitching to match the color of the customer's car. I'm really happy with the end results, and would definitely be open to recovering more of these wheels following my hiatus.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2016 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Last but not least, I have some pictures of what is currently my favorite 4 spoke wheel color combo. This wheel was done in Mr. Mike's dark grey leather with red stitching to match the customers seats and interior.

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2016 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are gorgeous.

Very fine work, to say the least.

My understanding is you plan to provide the recovering service again at some point in the future?

If that's so, would you be willing to do a different wheel.....say from an 81' Corvette?

If yes, could you venture a ballpark estimate on cost? I understand it would require making a new pattern. Yea, I can get a new wheel, and yea, I can get an already refurbished wheel with new leather. I'm just really impressed with your work, and am curious if you would do this, and what it would cost if done.

Obviously, not a "right now" project, in fact I would probably buy a used wheel in need of recovering but with good enough leather on it to be used as a pattern. We're talking maybe a year down the road.

May not happen at all, like I said, just curious if you'd be interested.

Really like the "baseball" stitching, and man, you are GOOD at it!

Thanks & HAGO!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Those are gorgeous.

Very fine work, to say the least.

My understanding is you plan to provide the recovering service again at some point in the future?

If that's so, would you be willing to do a different wheel.....say from an 81' Corvette?

If yes, could you venture a ballpark estimate on cost? I understand it would require making a new pattern. Yea, I can get a new wheel, and yea, I can get an already refurbished wheel with new leather. I'm just really impressed with your work, and am curious if you would do this, and what it would cost if done.

Obviously, not a "right now" project, in fact I would probably buy a used wheel in need of recovering but with good enough leather on it to be used as a pattern. We're talking maybe a year down the road.

May not happen at all, like I said, just curious if you'd be interested.

Really like the "baseball" stitching, and man, you are GOOD at it!

Thanks & HAGO!

I most definitely plan on offering my recovery service again in the near future. I just need to take this semester off while I get acclimated to grad school (I bit off a bit more than I could chew with my extra-curricular activities).

I looked up the design of the 81 corvette wheel you inquired about. If the one I found is the same as what you have, it is a three spoke wheel with a single seam on the bottom that looks very similar to a fiero wheel. Given this similarity, I feel comfortable saying that I would be able to recover this type of wheel for you. While I can really only give you a ballpark estimate, I would likely charge about 20% more than my normal fee due to the extra work that would be involved in creating a new template.

Thank you for the complements. The baseball stitching isn't too bad as long as I mark out my spacing and punch the holes prior to stitching. The fact that I have now done over 50 wheels has also given me plenty of practice
Sage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response.

Yes, you are correct, the wheel is a 3 spoke...here's a pic of one exactly like the one in the car:

The cover on that one looks like it would be ok to make a pattern from but is it possible to use one like this:

Obviously, the second one would be cheaper to buy, but is there enough there to use to make a pattern?

Again, this would be down the road, whenever it was convenient for you, but if I know you can/will do it, I could have the wheel available when you were ready.

Thanks & HAGO!
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2016 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

Thanks for the response.

Yes, you are correct, the wheel is a 3 spoke...here's a pic of one exactly like the one in the car:

The cover on that one looks like it would be ok to make a pattern from but is it possible to use one like this:

Obviously, the second one would be cheaper to buy, but is there enough there to use to make a pattern?

Again, this would be down the road, whenever it was convenient for you, but if I know you can/will do it, I could have the wheel available when you were ready.

Thanks & HAGO!

I'd be a little wary of using the second wheel for a template, as the leather along the top looks completely shredded. The white one looks like a good candidate however.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been a little while since I've posted here, as I've been very busy with my grad school schedule and teaching obligations. Starting the first week of December I will be on a month-long break from classes, during which I will be back to taking orders for wheels and shift knobs again. I will also be recovering some of the spare wheels that I have accumulated over the last year and selling them outright (great news for anybody looking to change from a 4 spoke to a GT wheel!).

If you've been panning on hoping to have your wheel recovered, this would definitely be the time to get it done, as I don't know what next semester will hold for me in terms of availability. I will be sure to update this thread as we approach December.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC

'88 T-Top coupe DOHC swap in progress

A_Pegasi

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'M IN!!!!

Just sent you a pm.

Originally posted by Irrationable:

Its been a little while since I've posted here, as I've been very busy with my grad school schedule and teaching obligations. Starting the first week of December I will be on a month-long break from classes, during which I will be back to taking orders for wheels and shift knobs again. I will also be recovering some of the spare wheels that I have accumulated over the last year and selling them outright (great news for anybody looking to change from a 4 spoke to a GT wheel!).

If you've been panning on hoping to have your wheel recovered, this would definitely be the time to get it done, as I don't know what next semester will hold for me in terms of availability. I will be sure to update this thread as we approach December.

teaboo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for teabooSend a Private Message to teabooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count me in too, I need a GT Wheel and Auto shift knob.
Sowardcustoms

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2016 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SowardcustomsSend a Private Message to SowardcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in on one maybe two wheels and an auto shift knob...
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All private messages replied to! So far the responses I've gotten have been very enthusiastic, I'm glad to hear there's still a demand for my services. As I mentioned in my previous post, I will be updating this sale thread near the end of the month when I am ready to start accepting customer orders. I will also be sending out notices/PMs to all members who have contacted me thus far. I'm really looking forward to getting back to work on these
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

Jim
migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my 4 spoke wheel back refinished in beechwood with black stiching... its SOOOO worth the cost and is probably the nicest part of my car now...
Red88fm

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2017 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88fmSend a Private Message to Red88fmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GOT MY STEERING WHEEL AND AUTO SHIFT KNOB BACK TODAY AWESOME JOB ANY ONE WHO IS THINKING OF HAVING ALEX DO THEIR WHEEL DO IT YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
Red88fm

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2017 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88fmSend a Private Message to Red88fmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

here is a picture of my wheel and knob
PFF
System Bot
bobtnj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2018 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobtnjSend a Private Message to bobtnjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my wheel and shift knob back. I'm super impressed with the workmanship and results. Alex did a phenomenal job, I highly recommend his work.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2018 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex, did i see a pic somewhere that you were also doing C4 Corvette wheels too? I picked up one off an 84 the other day, looks like our GT wheel except it only has two spokes.

let me know if you want to give it a try.

Rob
Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2018 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my wheel back last week and WOW! The materials and craftsmanship are top-notch!

Worth every penny.
Mike Morris

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MorrisSend a Private Message to Mike MorrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great
Pondski

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PondskiSend a Private Message to PondskiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like a gt wheel and manual shift knob in beechwood.

LMK if this is possible. Don't have any cores at this time but, can certainly pay any charges.

------------------
Thanks, Chris

C.Pond@rocketmail.com

PKFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKFieroGTSend a Private Message to PKFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*Bump* send a PM !!!!!

------------------
PK
I should join a club and beat you over the head with it!

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for I as well !
wilberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2022 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had Alex recover my 85 wheel and shift knob, BEAUTIFUL, you won't be dissapointed!!!!
SebFGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2022 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SebFGTSend a Private Message to SebFGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Private message send. Interested. Sébastien
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2022 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, would you be able to make an 88 beechwood shift knob for me?

Let me know,

Thanks,
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2022 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the lack of responses on this thread everyone. It looks like my old sale thread go dredged up from the depths. I'm in the process of replying to messages now.

Here is my updated sale thread with current pricing and photos of my 2020-2022 work

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver *SOLD*
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC

'88 T-Top coupe DOHC swap in progress

SebFGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2022 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SebFGTSend a Private Message to SebFGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another PM sent. Interested. How to contact you for steering and shifter service please. Seb
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock