Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered by Irrationable
Started on: 05-21-2015 12:46 AM
Replies: 272 (12360 views)
Last post by: SebFGT on 08-24-2022 09:23 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2016 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:

I take great pride in my work, and am happy to be able to offer my services to support my fellow Fiero owners.

I can say I certainly appreciate your efforts.

Please let me know when you can do my Indy armrests.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-08-2016).]

IP: Logged
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of updates today! First up is a 4 spoke and manual shift knob recovered in my new dark beechwood leather. This leather is darker than the old beechwood leather that I had been using, and is a much better match to the leather originally used on the steering wheel and upper dash/gauge pods.

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 10-20-2016).]

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
This unique design required a bit of extra planning. In order to add the additional seams, two grooves had to be cut into the wheel core so that the leather would lie flat. The wheel was recovered in Mr. Mikes light tan and Dallas Customs red leather. In addition to the custom wheel design, an automatic shift knob from a Grand Prix was done to match.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
This wheel is headed off to a fellow Fiero owner in Ontario. Black GT wheel with white stitching and extra padding.

GOT2B GM

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOT2B GMSend a Private Message to GOT2B GMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2016 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just as a preemptive measure, I want to make this post as an update to any members who might be considering getting their wheel recovered.

Starting the second week of August, I will be starting grad school as well as a teaching assistantship position. Coupled with my personal training job, this will result in me having much less free time to devote to other projects. I have not yet decided if I will continue recovering wheels and shift knobs once these responsibilities begin. This decision will likely have to be made once classes start and I am able to evaluate my new schedule.

However, even if I do continue to recover wheels once I begin classes and my assistantship, I will be working on a drastically different timetable. This means that I will be taking on fewer orders and will likely have a longer turn around time for those that I do. For anybody who needs multiple wheels done or requires a rapid turn around time for their wheel, I would recommend placing and order within the next month before my schedule changes.

-Alex

[This message has been edited by Irrationable (edited 06-24-2016).]

predmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pm'd you
Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
fieroVAN

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroVANSend a Private Message to fieroVANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM send
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All messages have been replied to!
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
PFF
System Bot
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larafan:

pm sent.

I received your message and replied Saturday evening. If you've sent another one since then, I haven't received it.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GT wheel done in dark beechwood leather with extra padding. If you look at the hub, you can see how the acid treatment etches the metal and gives it a blue-tinted hue.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
NEW COLOR AVAILABLE! I now carry the dark brown leather used on the lower portion of this wheel and it's accompanying shift knob. This brown is a match for the brown used on the 86-87 cars.

This wheel was done up custom using my dark brown and Mr. Mikes purple leather, with extra padding and purple stitching. A matching automatic shift knob was also recovered to match.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
I really like how this wheel came out. I used the last of my red leather (which was ordered by a customer from Dallas Customs) for the upper section of the wheel and did the lower section in black, with red stitching all around.

larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent you a PM. Need Address.
larafan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larafanSend a Private Message to larafanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

larafan

235 posts
Member since Nov 2013
Shipped Fed Ex with tracking in PM.
Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2016 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the red/black one yesterday. Looks even better in real life! Great job!
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Supracoupe:

Got the red/black one yesterday. Looks even better in real life! Great job!

Could you post a picture of it installed? I'm debating going with the same combo and would love to see how it looks in the car

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 07-04-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've been at this for a while, and your work is, obviously, exemplary. Thought I'd throw this out there, again...

Might you be interested, yet, in recovering the vinyl 3 spoke wheel?
It looks to be similar to the 84-85 three spoke - the one without the thumb notches. Obviously, the vinyl doesn't come as far up the spokes as the leather. I'd be fine with whatever you could make work.
(I can get any measurements you may need, before you commit, if that will help.)
My vinyl is starting to crack, and I would love to have it converted to leather. Are the "cores" different enough to make this unworkable?

PFF
System Bot
kriswinner

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's safe to say that he can do it...

Irrationable's work:

Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

Could you post a picture of it installed? I'm debating going with the same combo and would love to see how it looks in the car

Sure

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

You've been at this for a while, and your work is, obviously, exemplary. Thought I'd throw this out there, again...

Might you be interested, yet, in recovering the vinyl 3 spoke wheel?
It looks to be similar to the 84-85 three spoke - the one without the thumb notches. Obviously, the vinyl doesn't come as far up the spokes as the leather. I'd be fine with whatever you could make work.
(I can get any measurements you may need, before you commit, if that will help.)
My vinyl is starting to crack, and I would love to have it converted to leather. Are the "cores" different enough to make this unworkable?

I hadn't given this style of wheel any thought recently, but I believe that I would be able to recover this style wheel in leather. The only thing to consider would be the fact that I would need to add two seams to the wheel in order to wrap it in leather. The seams could be on the spokes, or just above them like the GT and Indy style wheels. I'd have to cut two small grooves into the vinyl to ensure that the seams sit nice and flat.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Supracoupe:

Sure

Thanks for posting. Looks awesome!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Irrationable:
I hadn't given this style of wheel any thought recently, but I believe that I would be able to recover this style wheel in leather. The only thing to consider would be the fact that I would need to add two seams to the wheel in order to wrap it in leather. The seams could be on the spokes, or just above them like the GT and Indy style wheels. I'd have to cut two small grooves into the vinyl to ensure that the seams sit nice and flat.

I'm game if you are. Just say the word. (I know you're getting ready to go back to school, and such.)
Would the existing vinyl provide the backing instead of the felt? Not sure I understand the "grooves" comment. Either way...
Any idea on price, since this is uncharted territory? How soon do you need it, in order to meet your schedule?
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2016 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm game if you are. Just say the word. (I know you're getting ready to go back to school, and such.)
Would the existing vinyl provide the backing instead of the felt? Not sure I understand the "grooves" comment. Either way...
Any idea on price, since this is uncharted territory? How soon do you need it, in order to meet your schedule?

Sounds like a plan to me. I'll pm you shortly with details.

Regarding the "grooves" I mentioned in my last post: When you strip down a GT wheel, there are two grooves carved into the rubber core. These grooves are roughly 1/8 in deep and wide, and allow the leather to lie flat once stretched around the wheel. If you look at a GT wheel, you can see that it consists of an upper and lower section of leather with a seem located just above the spokes. Where these two pieces of leather are stitched together, there is a seam that runs along the back of the leather. This seam fits inside the groove, allowing it to sit flat rather than causing a bump in the leather.

Since I'll have to add a seam to the wheel in order to make a circle of leather to go around the wheel, I will also have to cut a groove for each seam to lie in. This is the same process that I have to use when I receive a 4 spoke wheel that was not previously leather wrapped.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

PM sent

Reply sent! Sorry for the delay
BowtieBob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BowtieBobSend a Private Message to BowtieBobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Irrationable, I hope you aren't getting swamped! I sent you a PM about an 88 tan GT wheel. Still have room in your schedule (I hope)?
predmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just got my stuff back. WOW great workmanship
PFF
System Bot
Havoc04

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Havoc04Send a Private Message to Havoc04Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump as we get closer to August and my return to classes.

All PMs have been replied to. I also have some new pictures of some interesting wheels to upload soon.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2016 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's it going?
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2016 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How's it going?

It's going well! I got my template reworked for your vinyl wheel, and the leather fits it perfectly. The wheel is padded and the leather is ready to stitch, I'm just waiting on amazon to deliver your thread (its supposed to arrive tomorrow). My current timeline it to finish it and ship it out Monday or Tuesday.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2016 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool. I'm anxious, but I'm really not in a hurry. (Does that make sense?) Already have a spare wheel in the car.
Just do what ya' need to do. I'm good with... whenever.

Looking forward...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-29-2016).]

iksnilop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2016 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iksnilopSend a Private Message to iksnilopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
fieroVAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroVANSend a Private Message to fieroVANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got PM and PayPal send
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Received and installed mine Its great, amazing work! Thank you

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 08-26-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay