Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Get Your Steering Wheel Recovered by Irrationable
Started on: 05-21-2015 12:46 AM
Replies: 272 (12382 views)
Last post by: SebFGT on 08-24-2022 09:23 PM
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rugger:

If you reconsider doing Indy shifters and arm rests, let me know!

I do currently recover Indy shifters, both manual and automatic. The armrests wont likely be something I would want to tackle, at least not anytime in the near future.
IP: Logged
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by tshark:

Which style leather is closest to factory? The ”pebble” texture, or smooth leather?

Both the black pebble leather that I keep in stock and the "midnight" leather from Mr. Mikes are a perfect match color-wise. However, the midnight leather has a slightly smoother grain that is closer to the leather originally used on the steering wheel. The black pebble texture is more akin to the texture used on the dashboard and gauge cluster pods.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update for those of you who have messaged me recently, or those of you who are thinking of getting your steering wheel recovered soon. With the semester winding down, I will be taking the next two weeks of to focus on studying for my last round of exams and finals and won't be able to take on any new orders. I will still be checking my messages periodically if any of you have any questions or inquiries.

However, once I wrap up finals on December 14th I will be on my holiday break, and will be able to handle as many wheels as my customers can send my way. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday and I look forward to ensuring that my customers will be able to have a fresh steering wheel under their tree (or better yet, in their car) come Christmas!
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did an excellent job covering my manual knob! Won't hesitate to use your services again.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump to let everyone know I'm ready to get things rolling again. Starting this week, I'll be taking orders once again, as well as recovering some of the spare wheels that I have and selling them outright here in the mall. It feels good to be done with finals!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
So, despite the lack of updates over the past few months, I have still been recovering wheel (albeit at a reduced rate due to classes). I figured it was about time to show off some of the work that I've been doing lately.

Here is an original Indy wheel recovered in Indy grey leather with red stitching. As far as color combinations go, I think the red stitching on the Indy wheel looks pretty awesome. I imagine it also ties into the interior quite well.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Two more wheels and a manual shift knob recovered in Mr. Mike's midnight leather that was sent to me by the customer.

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by flimbob:

You did an excellent job covering my manual knob! Won't hesitate to use your services again.

Speaking of which, I just so happen to have a picture of it (although you can see that I hadn't yet rolled the leather over the base of the knob in this picture).
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
I debated for a while over whether or not to post pictures of this shift knob.

The knob came out fantastic, but stretching the leather to fit the shape of the automatic handles is a nightmare, and after recovering this one I lost all desire to do any more of them. If you have an automatic knob in desperate need of recovery, you MIGHT be able to persuade me to do another one, depending on the kind of leather. Pliable/stretchy leather like Mr. Mikes midnight or my Indy leather isn't too bad, but the thickness and resilience of my beechwood leather makes doing one of these damn near impossible.

I actually recovered this knob back in August along with the blue and tan wheel on page 3. It was done in Mr. Mikes navy leather.

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the holidays! Have a few unique wheels in the works that I will post pictures of once they're completed.
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black leather with gunmetal grey stitching. This would make an excellent match for a grey interior car (I'm actually thinking about doing a wheel like this for my own car).

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

PM sent

Reply sent
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
QUESTION........

I've seen some very low mileage cars (low enough to call the parts NOS) and some of the wheels appear to have had 2 different grains on the same wheel. Was I seeing things or is that how they came? If that's how they came, do you do yours the same way?
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

QUESTION........

I've seen some very low mileage cars (low enough to call the parts NOS) and some of the wheels appear to have had 2 different grains on the same wheel. Was I seeing things or is that how they came? If that's how they came, do you do yours the same way?

I can't say that I've ever come across any wheels like that myself. Of course, all the wheels I get are in pretty rough shape... As for my wheels, I could very easily do the sections in two different grains of leather, although I've never had a customer specify this, so I've never had any reason to do so. (I've done it with different colors in the past though). I have some dark grey/black perforated leather that I never used that could look interesting if used on the upper section of the wheel for a similar effect.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Bump.

I'm clearing out my inbox full of old messages from 2015. I'm 99.9% positive that everybody who has messaged me has gotten a reply. If anybody has contacted me about getting a wheel done and not received a reply, shoot me another message and we'll get you back on track.

-Alex
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

QUESTION........

I've owned several new/low mileage Fiero GT's and even bought an NOS beechwood GT steering wheel in the early 90's.....all of them had textured leather on the bottom half and smooth on the top. Over years/decades of use the textured part becomes smooth.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

I've owned several new/low mileage Fiero GT's and even bought an NOS beechwood GT steering wheel in the early 90's.....all of them had textured leather on the bottom half and smooth on the top. Over years/decades of use the textured part becomes smooth.

This is good to know.

I thought I was seeing things. Ha Ha!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the week. I've got some pictures of a beechwood wheel that will be going up for sale in the mall soon (complete wheel, minus the plastic trim pieces).
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Incredible work throughout this thread! I have a question, though. I pulled a wheel at the yard a few weeks ago with hopes of returning my 87 GT to stock from a ridiculous tiny Grant wheel, and the wheel I did pull needs recovered, but it feels mushy? I can manipulate the leather on it almost like firm play dough. Is there any concerns about what's under the leather when you recover these wheels? Might I have a part that's beyond repair?
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Incredible work throughout this thread! I have a question, though. I pulled a wheel at the yard a few weeks ago with hopes of returning my 87 GT to stock from a ridiculous tiny Grant wheel, and the wheel I did pull needs recovered, but it feels mushy? I can manipulate the leather on it almost like firm play dough. Is there any concerns about what's under the leather when you recover these wheels? Might I have a part that's beyond repair?

That's not a concern at all! In fact, I'd say at least half the wheels I get are in this kind of shape.

Underneath the original leather is a layer of foam padding and adhesive. Over time, the foam and adhesive break dow until the point that it becomes a mushy goop with the consistency of peanut butter. When I recover a wheel, I scrape away the old foam/gunk and replace it with a layer of felt padding and heavy-duty adhesive.
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Received my wheel from Alex today and it looks great! The quality of his work is first class and the transaction was swift and smooth. Thanks!

Jim
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Consider me sold, I'd like mine wrapped in black leather and stitched in red, how do we get started?
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recovered one of my spare cores in beechwood leather to put up for sale in the mall. I have enough for 2 (maybe 3) more wheels after this one. I'll have to try to find more of this stuff.

lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of leather did you use on the black w/gray stitching wheel on this page? Is it your leather or customer supply? Is it smooth or textured? Just looks fantastic
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

What type of leather did you use on the black w/gray stitching wheel on this page? Is it your leather or customer supply? Is it smooth or textured? Just looks fantastic

The black leather pictured here is one of the colors that I always keep in stock. The leather has a lightly pebbled texture that matches the black leather used by Mr. Mikes (I initially bought it to match my own seats) and has a light black color that closely matches the dark grey originally used in the 86-88 Fiero interiors. I always have this leather on hand, as I purchase it from a local vendor by the full or half hide, which gives me enough for roughly a dozen wheels.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2016 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Irrationable

405 posts
Member since Dec 2014
Also, for those of you who might be interested in a more custom-looking wheel, I can offer a variety of thread color choices to accent your wheel. The link below leads to the site that sells the appropriate weight thread needed to stitch a wheel. As I do not keep these colors in stock (beyond the standard black, red, grey, and brown), there is an additional $4 fee for colored thread.

C-Lon Nylon Cord Colors
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2016 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another unique wheel style. This one was done in my black textured leather with tan stitching.

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my black and red stitched wheel back today and installed it, too! Thank you so much for a quick, professional service and a flat out awesome job! Anyone considering getting their wheel recovered, bite the bullet and get it done here, you'll be so glad you did when you open the box up! Very well worth it!
Thanks, Alex!!
woodrow50

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2016 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodrow50Send a Private Message to woodrow50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex,, sent you a PM.
PFF
System Bot
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2016 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodrow50:

Alex,, sent you a PM.

Reply sent!
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Alex, I was doing a little research for my second wheel and thought about suede. Obviously not a good choice for a part that gets handled so much, but what about alcantara? Available in thickness over 1mm and supposedly rather durable. Let me know if your leather supply source might have it.
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Hey Alex, I was doing a little research for my second wheel and thought about suede. Obviously not a good choice for a part that gets handled so much, but what about alcantara? Available in thickness over 1mm and supposedly rather durable. Let me know if your leather supply source might have it.

I think you're definitely right when it comes to the suede; it wouldn't be suitable for a high wear location such as the steering wheel. While I haven't worked with it personally, I have seen steering wheels recovered in alcantara (there popular on the BMWs).

My leather supplier only sells leather, and it must be purchased in bulk by either a full or half hide. If a customer wanted their wheel done in alcantara, they would have to source the material themselves. The material would have to be at least 1.0 mm thick and preferably be automotive grade.
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pls check your PMs; thanks!
Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

Pls check your PMs; thanks!

Reply sent!
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the quality of the original steering wheel matter?
I've got one that has the usual 'squishy' feel to it because the stuff under the cover has gone soft.
If it got recovered would it still be squishy?

Thanks

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Irrationable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Does the quality of the original steering wheel matter?
I've got one that has the usual 'squishy' feel to it because the stuff under the cover has gone soft.
If it got recovered would it still be squishy?

Thanks

The original quality of the wheel sent in does not have an impact on the finished result. This "squishy" feeling of your wheel is caused by the old foam padding breaking down into a mushy gunk. Some wheels have padding that has completely broken down into a brown slime, while others I have received still have a foam-like consistency. When I recover a wheel, I cut off the old leather and scrape away this gunk, leaving behind the solid wheel core (which is a hard molded rubber around a steel core). I glue new padding into place before sewing on the new leather.

The finished wheel will be firm, but still have a slight give akin to a modern production steering wheel.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got two wheels from Alex, Fantastic work looks awesome!

Thanks
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2016 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To anybody thinking about having their wheel recovered. Do it ! You won't believe how much nicer your interior will look with a fresh wheel and manual shift knob. Alex does an awesome job and I'm a tough person to please because I like perfection. Well when it comes to wheels and manual shift knobs, you've found perfection. Thanks again Alex, I'm saving up to have you do my 87GT wheel in the near future.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock