LS2 + 6T75 Build by Dan86GT
Started on: 10-21-2011 10:55 PM
Replies: 230 (25151 views)
Last post by: tampalinc on 07-14-2017 10:45 AM
Dan86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you use the LS4 oil pan, you probably want to block off the oil bypass it has for DoD.

LS4 oil pan:

Can someone please elaborate on the oil bypass that I need to block off? I must have missed it when I swapped the pans.
IP: Logged
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dan86GT:

I hadn't really considered it until I received inquiries from this thread. I am sure we can work something out. The first step is to test a working prototype. I want to make sure the flow is decent, the thermostat works like I think it should, and overcome any unknowns that arise. Plus all those AN fittings are expensive (not to mention the solid brick of billet this is machined from). So for now, let's see if it works. I am sure the design will get refined as we go. I also appreciate any feedback other Fiero guys on this forum have for improvements. When we have something that is worth sharing we can talk and figure out how to move forward that works best for everyone.

Does that sound Ok?

Dan

you could always prototype the billet then have someone cast them for you.

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice progress!

I'd love to see a mockup of the LS4 and 6T75, since you said you have one (LS4) as a donor. I ask this because I'd be interested in any clearance issues with the starter's "snout" now that it has been relocated.

As for that controller: Any time frame for release? I know FastFieros mentioned that you guys were ~6 months out, but that was years ago...
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GXP25:

I'd love to see a mockup of the LS4 and 6T75, since you said you have one (LS4) as a donor. I ask this because I'd be interested in any clearance issues with the starter's "snout" now that it has been relocated.

As for that controller: Any time frame for release? I know FastFieros mentioned that you guys were ~6 months out, but that was years ago...

I was thinking about mocking up the motorplate/starter on the LS4 just so everyone could see if it would work or not. I still plan on doing that when I get a chance.

I don't have a timeline on the controller. The torque management issue makes this trans more difficult. We can control it, but that doesn't mean we can turn it loose to customers quite yet. When we feel it is ready for the aftermarket we will release it.

Dan
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can someone please elaborate on the oil bypass that I need to block off? I must have missed it when I swapped the pans.

Do you see the triangular shape opening right below the oil passage ports in the pan? I am pretty sure the bypass is in that opening and the oil flows out the opening when it bleeds off pressure. Not sure exactly how to remove it though. Here is a picture of the one in a L76 oil pan:

Here is a good thread that covers most of the details when eliminating DoD:
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659175
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hadn't really considered it until I received inquiries from this thread. I am sure we can work something out. The first step is to test a working prototype. I want to make sure the flow is decent, the thermostat works like I think it should, and overcome any unknowns that arise. Plus all those AN fittings are expensive (not to mention the solid brick of billet this is machined from). So for now, let's see if it works. I am sure the design will get refined as we go. I also appreciate any feedback other Fiero guys on this forum have for improvements. When we have something that is worth sharing we can talk and figure out how to move forward that works best for everyone.

Does that sound Ok?

Dan

Ya, sounds good. I know a billet CNC piece will cost a bit. I'm curious to see if the CAD model could be split into 2 or 3 layers in order lasar or water jet cut out of sheet. That would make them far less costly and welding them together would be an option for the home user like myself. If going that route, I could use aluminium pipe for inlet/ outlet instead of AN fittings. That's my thought at least.

Cheers,
Robert

GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was thinking about mocking up the motorplate/starter on the LS4 just so everyone could see if it would work or not. I still plan on doing that when I get a chance.

I don't have a timeline on the controller. The torque management issue makes this trans more difficult. We can control it, but that doesn't mean we can turn it loose to customers quite yet. When we feel it is ready for the aftermarket we will release it.

Dan

Thank you.

It's quite possible that the same adapter plate could be used by adding extra/different mount holes for the metric bolt pattern.
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

GXP25

34 posts
Member since Oct 2011
It also looks like you sliced away a section from the top of your adapter plate above the starter in the video. Any reason behind this?
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GXP25:

It also looks like you sliced away a section from the top of your adapter plate above the starter in the video. Any reason behind this?

Yeah, I tried to describe it in the post but it must have been confusing.

One of the starter threaded holes on the original motor plate did not line up so I could not bolt the starter on. So as a quick fix I made a two piece design out of some scrap aluminium just to test if the starter was going to work. The next (and hopefully final) motor plate will be one piece and look just like the CAD drawings.
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I tried to describe it in the post but it must have been confusing.

One of the starter threaded holes on the original motor plate did not line up so I could not bolt the starter on. So as a quick fix I made a two piece design out of some scrap aluminium just to test if the starter was going to work. The next (and hopefully final) motor plate will be one piece and look just like the CAD drawings.

Oh okay, yeah I read that but didn't really process it.

I sent you a PM.

[This message has been edited by GXP25 (edited 11-01-2011).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all

A quick question from the terriblly uninformed..... Is there anyone out there making parts for this auto to handle higher output engines, other then what you're working on?? Thinking about an LS3 with this trans....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

S.F??, hint, it's a car manufacturer....

Do not walk infront of me, I may not follow. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend forever.
-unknown- found here: http://crystal-cure.com/love-quote.html

PFF
System Bot
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

Hi all

A quick question from the terriblly uninformed..... Is there anyone out there making parts for this auto to handle higher output engines, other then what you're working on?? Thinking about an LS3 with this trans....

He's working with the LS2, that's pretty close... But no, nothing yet.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

It would be, since the 6t70/75 are available with the Metric pattern, as they come behind some 3.5/3.9 High Value V6 engines.

hmmm a 6t75 mated to a 4.9L!, now that would be interesting .. anybody know the stock gearing and different final drives available for this tranny?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:
hmmm a 6t75 mated to a 4.9L!, now that would be interesting .. anybody know the stock gearing and different final drives available for this tranny?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6T70_transmission

Not sure which cars have which FDs in them, but at least there's a list to start your research with.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure which cars have which FDs in them, but at least there's a list to start your research with.

Thank you sir, most kind
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Not sure which cars have which FDs in the5?m, but at least there's a list to start your research with.

ahhh, looks like that 2.77:1 FD would be perfect on that transmission, if it were not for the crappy 1st gear...anybody know of a tapshift controller for the 6t7x trannies?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2011 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ahhh, looks like that 2.77:1 FD would be perfect on that transmission, if it were not for the crappy 1st gear...anybody know of a tapshift controller for the 6t7x trannies?

Other than the factory one, I don't think there are any. Probably Dan and PCS will look into supporting TapShift with their controller, once they get one working that can do the torque management and all the basics.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the gear spacing. 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 is a ratio of ~1.5. 4-5 is a ratio of ~1.3. The gear spacing is very close.
I've driven the RWD version of this tranny in a CTS. The 1-2 gear spacing in not quite as close, but it's quite nice.

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Other than the factory one, I don't think there are any. Probably Dan and PCS will look into supporting TapShift with their controller, once they get one working that can do the torque management and all the basics.

here's to hoping!
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates Dan?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2012 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No news is bad news?
PFF
System Bot
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay.

We have made a lot of progress. We had a CNC machine go down and that set back the final motor plate and the water manifold. The motor and trans have been in and out of the car several times as we check final fit. The motor mounts have been designed, made, and installed. Axles are done too. Need to work on the accessory mounts.

The car originally had an issue with the coolant system - clean coolant turned brown instantly. So before I run dirty coolant through a nice motor, I decided to replace the entire cooling system. That includes coolant tubes, heater core, etc. For some reason the Fierostore can only get one side coolant tubes so I will have to fabricate something for that. So that slowed me down a little.

The good news is that the controls are progressing quite nicely! We are ready to roll - just need more time to work on the car.

I will post some pictures of the water manifold. It came out really nice!!

Dan
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am glad to see some one getting the 6t75 figured out it will make a nice transmission for every one who wants a 6 speed

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-07-2012).]

81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very interested in da pics....

Cheers & good job!
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where are you located . i would love to see this thing your creating. don't wan't get in your way. just want to see where magic comes from. what, did you guys work for nasa? pm me. i'm here fixing hvac in stafford va.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tomsablon:

where are you located . i would love to see this thing your creating. don't wan't get in your way. just want to see where magic comes from. what, did you guys work for nasa? pm me. i'm here fixing hvac in stafford va.

yea, and the Virginia Fiero Assn would love to check it out too. Maybe we make a club event out of the drive up/back. Where are you located, and do you think this spring you may be up for a visit?

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates ??
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

yea, and the Virginia Fiero Assn would love to check it out too. Maybe we make a club event out of the drive up/back. Where are you located, and do you think this spring you may be up for a visit?

Rob

I would love to host all of you. PCS recently moved our headquarters and engineering facility. (real recently - we officially opened the new building last week - and this also explains why I haven't been able to post as often as I would have liked). The good news is that the new building sits on a beautiful, park-like 20 acre piece of land that would be perfect to host a Fiero gathering. The bad news is that the dyno, "cool" toys, and my Fiero are still at the old location. I don't have a firm date as to when the dyno will move and it would probably make sense to combine a club visit with a dyno day. That being said, our door is always open to anyone who wants to stop by and get a tour - just give me a call to make sure I will be in the office, I do have to travel for work from time to time.

As for the project, it is progressing. I am working on a final wiring clean-out and trying to make the cooling plumbing logical with the electric pump up front. Hope to have some pictures soon.

Dan
81 4.9L X-11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 81 4.9L X-11Click Here to visit 81 4.9L X-11's HomePageSend a Private Message to 81 4.9L X-11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friendly pestering... any updates ??

Cheers
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately nothing too exciting to report. The car is a roller. Axles, suspension, everything seems to check out. I think the cradle is going to have to come out one more time - the trans is a little too close to the subframe, but I think the subframe can be convinced to move over.

I need to install the engine harness and finish up a little plumbing. I am actually not too far from firing it up, just need to make the time!!

Getting settled into the new building took more time than I would have hoped, but things are running smoothly now. I will keep everyone posted.

Dan
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm already committed to my built 4t65e hd, but I confess to an intense interest in your project. Are there aftermarket options to beef up this transmission like the 4t65?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates?????
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I notice the controller is listed on PCS site (TCM2600).
So this is ready to go?
I'm assuming it allows trans to be standalone?
Is it plug and play or ?
I've just started to notice this transmission. I have the capability to tune the T42 and T43 controllers but I will need it to run as a standalone requiring only sensor inputs.
I would also like to retain the tapshift feature,lotsa mountains round here
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay!!

We have made a lot of progress on the 6T/6L controller and have customers testing it in the field with very good success. We had some other projects come up and now we are back on the Fiero! Just need to finish up the exhaust and we should be ready to run.

I will have pictures soon. I also have some other PCS candy on this project that I think you guys will enjoy.... (no need for a shift lever...)

This controller is the TCM2600. It allows the transmission to run standalone.

Standby....

Dan
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance street and performance is testing one?
They are close enough for me to drop in and check it out.
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Street and Performance is a great PCS dealer but they haven't played with the TCM2600 yet....
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?

Do you have any of those pictures you mentioned earlier?
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So for the exhaust we cut the bottom of the trunk off and raised the floor to fit a muffler.

The headers are factory LS7. V-band clamps make removing the cradle easier...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock