Started on: 10-21-2011 10:55 PM
Replies: 230 (25121 views)
Last post by: tampalinc on 07-14-2017 10:45 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock weight distribution is ~45/55... Maybe deviating a couple percent for the usual transverse engine swaps.
IP: Logged
GXP25

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going on 3 years now...

Are there any updates with respect to the module and/or other components related to this build?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's just too bad. I've been waiting to hear some news too.

If there was a controller for this transmission & a proven way to beef up the transmission, I'd have put one in Lady Lisa's car.

Archie
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We do have controllers!

We have several small volume vehicle manufacturers using them with great success. The aftermarket is harder to bring a one-size-fits-all product to and that just takes time and a wide range of customers.

If anyone would like to try one out just send me a PM.

As for the beefed up parts, I don't know of anyone focusing on this right now, but I also have 5,000 hard miles on my car with no transmission issues....

Dan
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just re-read this whole thread. What a great project. I'l love an LS3/6T75 for a daily driver.

Any plans to offer all your parts into one "kit" kind of like a "V8 Archie" build kit?

Adapter, controller, axles/half shaft w/ custom mount and the water neck, mod to trans case w/ starter.

If not a true kit, then do you have a price for everything if purchased from you?

Looking for a ball park idea on what this would cost, and if it makes for a fairly inexpensive daily driver.

Thanks

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 01-02-2015).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

2tone86gt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in the water manifold if you are still thinking of producing some of these custom parts. Haven't heard anything lately on those. What for brand (part number) is the water pump you are using? I believe that is quite a clever way of making the appropriate room for an LS swap considering the amount of room we all have in the back of these cars. I'm saving up for an LS4 for mine and I'd rather go with the manifold and pump set up you are using instead of the bulky factory one... Also even though I am not an automatic fan I do commend you on the 6 speed auto you have adapted and the electronic push button shift is friggin awesome way to go man.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was paging through your thread Dan and I haven't seen any references as to what accessories you are running off the crank pulley.. there obviously is at least an alternator some where in there lol. Did you run any power steering or AC with your setup? How is your belt routing with a tensioner and idler pulley(s) and how did you get it rigged around the remote water manifold with all the coolant hoses coming off of it? And one more question if I may.. are you using the stock fiero coolant overflow tank or an updated surge tank? Any insight would greatly be appreciated...and lots of pics if you have any
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

I was paging through your thread Dan and I haven't seen any references as to what accessories you are running off the crank pulley.. there obviously is at least an alternator some where in there lol. Did you run any power steering or AC with your setup? How is your belt routing with a tensioner and idler pulley(s) and how did you get it rigged around the remote water manifold with all the coolant hoses coming off of it? And one more question if I may.. are you using the stock fiero coolant overflow tank or an updated surge tank? Any insight would greatly be appreciated...and lots of pics if you have any

It's hard to tell from the low resolution and not great lighting in the picture of the new water manifold a few pages back, but it didn't look like there was an A/C on the bottom right. Definitely didn't see a P/S pump either (which would need to be near the top for easy access to fill/check the fluid), so I"m pretty sure he's not running power steering. Don't know which side he mounted the alternator on either. The LS2 balancer has two pulleys, one for the serpentine drive, and a separate one for the A/C compressor. The location/routing of the hoses in the manifold doesn't look like it would interfere with either an alternator or A/C compressor. Without P/S or a mechanical water pump, there's not really any need to run belts up to the top half of the engine, as the A/C and alternator can both be mounted low.
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would be interested in the water manifold if you are still thinking of producing some of these custom parts. Haven't heard anything lately on those. What for brand (part number) is the water pump you are using? I believe that is quite a clever way of making the appropriate room for an LS swap considering the amount of room we all have in the back of these cars. I'm saving up for an LS4 for mine and I'd rather go with the manifold and pump set up you are using instead of the bulky factory one... Also even though I am not an automatic fan I do commend you on the 6 speed auto you have adapted and the electronic push button shift is friggin awesome way to go man.

I did want to offer a kit that basically converted the LS to a "shorty" front. It would include the front cover, water manifold, pulley, etc. I forget exactly how short it made the front but it was drastic compared to the stock LS2. Seems like a no-brainer way to go for Fiero swaps... Not sure how to make it fit without it - the trans is 1/16" from the frame on the other side.

For a water pump, I used a Stewart electric pump like the one here.

The housing has optional -AN fittings which I changed it to.

How many people would be interested in this kit?

Dan

Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dan86GT

73 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Right now it is just an alternator. I really regret not putting AC on it from the beginning so it will get added next time the cradle is out. No power steering - doesn't do much good when the front tires aren't on the ground....

I will try to take a better picture of the tensioner arrangement. I am using the stock fiero coolant overflow tank.

Dan
PFF
System Bot
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2015 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dan86GT

73 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Just re-read this whole thread. What a great project. I'l love an LS3/6T75 for a daily driver.

Any plans to offer all your parts into one "kit" kind of like a "V8 Archie" build kit?

Adapter, controller, axles/half shaft w/ custom mount and the water neck, mod to trans case w/ starter.

If not a true kit, then do you have a price for everything if purchased from you?

Looking for a ball park idea on what this would cost, and if it makes for a fairly inexpensive daily driver.

Thanks

Rob

I agree this is a great daily driver. The six speed really makes it tame enough for getting from A to B, but can also embarrass Mustangs and Corvettes if you get bored.

I did this project to learn everything I could about the 6 speed and to hopefully share my experiences so other people could do this as well. I am not sure there is any demand to make this into an Archie style kit, but I will try to help answer questions and provide insight into any custom parts I made.

Are you in Virginia?

Dan
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for responding to my curiosities about your set up Dan. Will be looking forward to the pics after you add the AC when you have her out again. When I get around to my swap I will be going the fiero guru route with the Ls4/F40 but I'm definitely interested in your water manifold by itself. If or when you have them available for sale shoot me a PM I have a paypal account. Thanks.

-Dave

GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed some updates on PCS' site.

What's the difference between the TCM-2600, TCM-2650 Mecatronic, and TCM-2800?

It seems like the TCM-2650 Mecatronic is what the TCM-2600 used to be with a few extras. The TCM-2800 seems to go that extra step, almost integrating BCM features like displaying extra gears on vehicles that never displayed the extra gears.

https://www.powertraincontr...smission_Controller/

[This message has been edited by GXP25 (edited 06-10-2015).]

Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct.

You would want the TCM2650 for any of the GM 6L or 6T transmissions. The controller acts as a bridge between the vehicle and the mechatronic unit inside the transmission. In my earlier posts I referred to it as a TCM2600... The part name evolved over time...

Dan
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. So am I correct with my assumption about the TCM-2800?

Also, how is the 6T75 holding up to the LS2 and do you have any plans on offering adapter plates and a bellhousing modification service for the starter?
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct about the TCM2800.

I would offer the adapter plates if enough people wanted them. Let me figure out exactly what you would need and how much it all costs. You can probably do the starter pocket cutting yourself. I can provide a template.

Dan
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dan86GT:

You are correct about the TCM2800.

I would offer the adapter plates if enough people wanted them. Let me figure out exactly what you would need and how much it all costs. You can probably do the starter pocket cutting yourself. I can provide a template.

Dan

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure I'll be able to get enough people together for adapter plates and bellhousing modifications.

This transmission opens up new possibilities for the W-body crowd. And with GM putting this transaxle (albeit the 6T70) in a W-body Impala with the 3.6, we do have some factory made parts (mounts, shifter cable, axles, etc.) available.

The controller that you guys at PCS created, along with your LS2 swap with the starter provision, is what really spearheaded this possibility for the LS4 if anything.

The 4T65E-HD has let a great deal of us down in the LS4 community and GM doesn't seem to care. A few options include getting rid of the vehicle. Rebuilding the transaxle to stock specifications with stock parts which will eventually granade again. Or rebuilding the transaxle with upgraded parts, but at the end of the day, you're still stuck with a 4-speed automatic and are out a couple thousand dollars.

EDIT: I'd most definitely appreciate that template.

[This message has been edited by GXP25 (edited 06-16-2015).]

2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2015 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.. we need you to get this thread rolling again Dan, anything new?
GreyElf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreyElfSend a Private Message to GreyElfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how different would the adapter plates need to be for an LS4?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2015 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GreyElf:

how different would the adapter plates need to be for an LS4?

LS4 has the metric bell pattern already, so wouldn't need an adapter to use with a trans with that pattern. The issue with the LS4 is the starter, as it's mounted on the transmission.
PFF
System Bot
GXP25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GXP25Send a Private Message to GXP25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

LS4 has the metric bell pattern already, so wouldn't need an adapter to use with a trans with that pattern. The issue with the LS4 is the starter, as it's mounted on the transmission.

Actually, the LS4 would need an adapter plate for the 6T75. Remember, the 6T75 has a bolt pattern for the GM High Feature engines. The 6T70 has the GM Metric pattern.

Dan I sent you a PM.
GreyElf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreyElfSend a Private Message to GreyElfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I guess the question is this...

The ls4 is 300ish HP and the LY7 that mates natively to the 6t70 comes in at almost that although with much lower torque.

Wouldn't the LY7 be the better candidate? Or am I missing something that makes the ls4 better(other than that wonderful small-block sound!!)?

I realize this is mostly personal preference. Just checking.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GXP25:

Actually, the LS4 would need an adapter plate for the 6T75. Remember, the 6T75 has a bolt pattern for the GM High Feature engines. The 6T70 has the GM Metric pattern.

Dan I sent you a PM.

Yes, if you use a version of the trans from an Ecotec or HF engine, then you will need an adapter plate for any engines not from those families.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by GreyElf:
So I guess the question is this...

The ls4 is 300ish HP and the LY7 that mates natively to the 6t70 comes in at almost that although with much lower torque.

Wouldn't the LY7 be the better candidate? Or am I missing something that makes the ls4 better(other than that wonderful small-block sound!!)?

I realize this is mostly personal preference. Just checking.

The LY7 is a DOHC V6, so it's a pretty big engine. The LS4 is more compact, being a pushrod engine. The LS4 also has almost 2L more displacement than the LY7, so more torque. There plenty other engines you could go with too, though. 3800 + 6t70 might be fun.
Dan86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86GTSend a Private Message to Dan86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything is going well with the car. I installed new front suspension in the summer and haven't driven much since then.

I have received a few requests for drawings or cad for the adapter plate. I haven't look at the cad for it in years. Let me dig it up and see what I have.

Dan
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2015 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever produce any of those unique water manifolds that you designed to run with a remote mount water pump yet? If so when do you think they will be made available for sale? I know I'm not the only one on here that would like a kit like that.
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2016 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more thought about selling the adapters or releasing the CAD drawing for it?
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Been awhile and want to keep this thread alive.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan, you have a message.

Joe
tampalinc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2017 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have contact information for Dan or are in contact with him to find out if he is going to release the CAD drawings?
I am trying to find some place that can make me the adapter plate so I can move forward with this swap.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay