Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe by qwikgta
Started on: 10-20-2010 10:55 PM
Replies: 229 (14729 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 01-23-2019 09:05 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
** UPDATE - Starting on page 5, I discuss my "trans-plant" of the Getrag 282 for a new 0 mile F40 six speed trans. **

Well, as some may know, im heading up to the "Chicago" area soon for an engine upgrade. I am going to be installing a LS3/5spd in my 88 coupe.

The car.

I thought i'd start a thread so that I can update it with all the data that I gather over the next few weeks. With any luck, and some good timing, It should be done by this time next month.

So I'll start with a general picture of the LS3 (LS376). Its the "Hot Cam" 480/475 motor.

and I have purchased a 94 Getrag 282 that has been upgraded with a EP-LSD. I know its not the strongest trans out there, but if I take care of it, it should last.

and if it does not, I'll just build another one.

Now I know there are a lot of haters out there, and I know I can't stop you from posting, but i'd rather you leave your negitive comments out of here. I have wanted to do this for over 10 years, and I finally have the means. So i'm doing it. I don't care that you don't like Archie, and I don't care that you don't like V8's, or that the Getrag 282 will not hold up to the power. Yea, I get it.

So on a positive note, check back from time to time, and check the status. There will not be a lot of action this week, but starting next week, I should have some updates.

Cheers.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, 1996 3.4 DOHC and a GT clip

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-16-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yahoo......You will definitely like that V8 power! Congrats on the start of the project.

Pat

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing the end product
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This'll be fun to watch.
mera7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Send a Private Message to mera7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good for you Love V8's I have a 4.9 and have built a LS4 powered Fiero and am currently working on another LS4 into a Murcielogo (sp?) kit car based on a 87 Fiero.

Will follow your build with interest

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool for sure. I'm sure we'll talk plenty on Saturday too. Unfortunately I won't be able to bring my Fiero to the show, so I probably won't meet up with you guys to drive there and park. But I'll show up sometime to hang out with everyone.

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Cool for sure. I'm sure we'll talk plenty on Saturday too. Unfortunately I won't be able to bring my Fiero to the show, so I probably won't meet up with you guys to drive there and park. But I'll show up sometime to hang out with everyone.

Cool, Rodney, we'll see you there.

Rob
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tired of the 3.4DOHC? Or is this another 88?
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are you doing with the 3.4 dohc?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you really believe that any Getrag can survive for long behind the awesome power of a modded LS3? You will be pouring in double the torque that it was designed to take.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Do you really believe that any Getrag can survive for long behind the awesome power of a modded LS3? You will be pouring in double the torque that it was designed to take.

Dude, quit it. My getrag takes 2+ years of 500whp ABUSE. As he said, this thread is not the place. PM me if you want to dispute.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few 282's I have put in cars with LOTS more power than an archie LS3 would make has held up without many issues...

LS3's may put double the power through the trans, but turbo/supercharged L67's I have built have done triple without significant issue.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Tired of the 3.4DOHC? Or is this another 88?

No not at all, in fact it has been running great the last few months. I recently sold my 2005 GTO (modded) and have the extra $$. My GTO was pushing about 450 hp at the wheels and was able to move that 4000lb car to low 12's, maybe even high 11's with a real driver (im not). I just want to combine the LS power with the drive of the Fiero. I found that I was driving the Fiero a lot more than the Goat, and I stopped modding it, because spending money on both cars was going nowhere. In the end, I just like the Fiero more and have more fun attending Fiero events.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by GADJet:

what are you doing with the 3.4 dohc?

Already sold, I put it up in "the mall" and it sold in a day.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't know. Some folks get lucky. I don't plan to beat on it. I hope driving it hard will not break it. But if it does, i'll address the problems as they occur. Having spent about 5 years with a New Gen GTO, im familiar with breaking axles, stubs and hubs. I know a few places that specialize in custom axles and hubs for the GTO rear end. Since i don't know what may break, or what part of the trans is weak, i don't yet know what needs to be done. But i'll deal with it when/if it happens.

Rob
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
I don't know. Some folks get lucky. I don't plan to beat on it. I hope driving it hard will not break it. But if it does, i'll address the problems as they occur. Having spent about 5 years with a New Gen GTO, im familiar with breaking axles, stubs and hubs. I know a few places that specialize in custom axles and hubs for the GTO rear end. Since i don't know what may break, or what part of the trans is weak, i don't yet know what needs to be done. But i'll deal with it when/if it happens.

Rob

A local place for the GTO axles?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Excitement begins.....

Archie
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Archie

Score another one for Archie. You are the man, I can't wait to see this.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:
Score another one for Archie. You are the man, I can't wait to see this.

Me too. It'll make 2 LS3s and 1 LS4 in the local club.
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

It's dejavu all over again! Rob, you're going to love LS power See you at the show Saturday.

Jim
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ever find yourself in Atlanta, I've got to get a ride in it!
Best of luck with your swap.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know.. that old tranny is a time bomb

I really had no plans on how I would drive my LS4, BUT I know now that it ain't conservative I will take a lot of maturity and will power to be easy on the throttle.
I LOVE the V8 and would like to do an LS2, LS3 or LS6 in a manual configuration.

Be safe and have fun with it.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your going to love the feel of that LS, Good luck with it and have fun.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sweeeet !

i have always liked the looks of your car and now it will really, really have some horses to make it go !
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

YEA BABY..........

thanks Archie, you made my morning. Trans is in route. should be there by Tuesday. The 88 cradle gets picked up today, with a Wednesday arrival date. I send the 88 spindles and hubs yesterday, also sent you the HTOB for the trans and a Getrag Dipstick. Also Erik called me last night, the HELD MS 88 suspension will ship today directly to you. Should have it Saturday or Monday (not sure if your there on Saturday).

Only the small stuff is left. One note, Rodney Dickman emailed me and he is "out of stock" on the Getrag Shift Cable bracket, so I will have to attempt to find one on Pennocks. More on that later.

what a great Friday.

Rob
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

YEA BABY..........

thanks Archie, you made my morning. Trans is in route. should be there by Tuesday. The 88 cradle gets picked up today, with a Wednesday arrival date. I send the 88 spindles and hubs yesterday, also sent you the HTOB for the trans and a Getrag Dipstick. Also Erik called me last night, the HELD MS 88 suspension will ship today directly to you. Should have it Saturday or Monday (not sure if your there on Saturday).

Only the small stuff is left. One note, Rodney Dickman emailed me and he is "out of stock" on the Getrag Shift Cable bracket, so I will have to attempt to find one on Pennocks. More on that later.

what a great Friday.

Rob

Good, sounds like we're on the way.

One note however, I checked the part numbers on the engine & engine control system & the engine is actually the 480 HP version of the LS3. This is the same engine that Jim used. The proper designation of this engine is LS376/480hp. The LS3 is the current production C6 engine, this engine is the same as that except that it has the GM Hot Cam Kit in it. That makes it an LS376.

Thanks

Archie
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good, sounds like we're on the way.

One note however, I checked the part numbers on the engine & engine control system & the engine is actually the 480 HP version of the LS3. This is the same engine that Jim used. The proper designation of this engine is LS376/480hp. The LS3 is the current production C6 engine, this engine is the same as that except that it has the GM Hot Cam Kit in it. That makes it an LS376.

Thanks

Archie

The LS3 is rated at 430HP, and the LS376 is rated at 480HP. So is the cam the only difference? or is there ECM changes with it to make up 50hp?

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Our power-mad engineers started with the production LS3 6.2L (376 cubic-in) engine—including its rectangular-port L92-style heads—and swapped the stock camshaft for the racing-inspired LS Hot Cam (P/N 88958733) and the result was nothing short of astonishing. With no other modifications, horsepower jumped from 430 to 480 and torque rose from 424 lb-ft to 475—that’s about 12 percent more power and torque from a simple camshaft change!

Straight from the GMPP web site catalog listing for the LS376.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cradle just left the house. Next stop, Machesney Park, IL.

Rob
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to feud with dobey, but a bit more research shows that GMPP also offers an ECM already loaded with an LS376/480-specific tune. And a matching wiring harness.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 10-22-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, the GM parts site does say that you need to order the "Hot Cam Controler Package" vice the regular LS3 one. Same price, same parts, but I think its the tune.

Rob
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what a great Friday.

Rob

I have one if your interested I'm doing and LS4 so I will not need my getrag shift cable bracket shoot me a pm if you need it. Good luck
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

Saved as "favorites."

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JPH87:

I have one if your interested I'm doing and LS4 so I will not need my getrag shift cable bracket shoot me a pm if you need it. Good luck

I may have to do that. Rodney sold me a "Standard" getrag bracket, the one with the slave attachment. He said I can just "cut" off the slave part and use it like that. We will see. If it works, I'll use it until one is in stock, if it looks bad i'll swap it out.

thanks for theheads up and again, I may give you a shout.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Erik pass me this pic of the new suspension. He sent this straight to Archie

parts are starting to flow in.

Rob
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Erik pass me this pic of the new suspension. He sent this straight to Archie

parts are starting to flow in.

Rob

Would be curious how this setup would work compared to poly. If I was to guess, those heim's are going to wear out quite quickly when they get covered in dust and dirt.
tiretread

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is awesome! I can't wait to see the final product either. Good luck!
highspeeddirt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for highspeeddirtSend a Private Message to highspeeddirtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, sorry I missed you guys Saturday.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much does the engine package cost (just the engine and parts from GM)?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock