Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe by qwikgta
Started on: 10-20-2010 10:55 PM
Replies: 229 (14732 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 01-23-2019 09:05 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Do you custom make those mount brackets or are they off the shelf parts that you just weld on? Do you use any "standard" engine mounts? Looks great, I love the clean and shiny parts.

Also on the engine management what do you use to mate the Fiero electronics to the engine? Custom wire harness, etc. I am trying to determine how much is cutom vs I could buy from GM or from even one of your KITS?

We custom make the engine mounting brackets & include them in our LS engine swap kits.

I this case (& most other LS swaps) we use the GM wire harness/ECM system that can be ordered from GMPP with the engine. The Video instructions that come with my LS kit gives all the details of how to integrate the GM (or other aftermarket harness) with the stock Fiero harness to make a plug & play harness for the Fiero. Those instructions are complete detailed item by item, wire by wire, part by part instructions so you can put your parts together correctly the 1st time.

Virtually all of the items & kits I sell come with detailed instructions on how to make the items fit a Fiero properly.

Archie
IP: Logged
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Yea, can't wait. Only 8 days until I head up to Archies. This is going to be the longest week of my life.

Rob

Good luck. I envy you right now. Just FYI. I wish I could do this with my Fiero. Archie does amazing work.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the engine/transmission mounted on the cradle.....

And we started building the exhaust as far as we can without having the car here.

Archie
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my 3800SC but I would also love that monster in my Fiero, too. Looks sooo good and will sound oh soo sweet.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

The LS3 is rated at 430HP, and the LS376 is rated at 480HP. So is the cam the only difference? or is there ECM changes with it to make up 50hp?

What's the diff? You can only sh*t your pants so full when you step on it.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:
What's the diff? You can only sh*t your pants so full when you step on it.

I guess i'll have to stock up on "depends".

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Damn Arch, that looks so sweet. Thanks for the pics. Are you guys going to mount up the suspension too. Do you have access to the bolts needed to put it together. If not, I can send them. I have a set of 88 suspension bolts. I have to clean them up, no way im putting rusty old bolts on that cradle. Let me know, I can ship them ASAP.

Rob
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea, can't wait. Only 8 days until I head up to Archies. This is going to be the longest week of my life.

Rob

It's even worse than waiting for Christmas morning as a kid was! Hope the weather cooperates for your tow up and back - can't wait to see the permanent ear to rear grin LSX power causes - welcome to the sickness

Jim
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Rob! I'm excited for you also. Good thing it got pushed back a week because one of my guys broke the coupler on the trailer today. Don't worry, i will have it ready by next week!
asa
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlaws:

Looks good Rob! I'm excited for you also. Good thing it got pushed back a week because one of my guys broke the coupler on the trailer today. Don't worry, i will have it ready by next week!
asa

WOW, sure glad that I am not leaving tomorrow. I'll get with you next week about it.

rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-05-2010).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn Arch, that looks so sweet. Thanks for the pics. Are you guys going to mount up the suspension too. Do you have access to the bolts needed to put it together. If not, I can send them. I have a set of 88 suspension bolts. I have to clean them up, no way im putting rusty old bolts on that cradle. Let me know, I can ship them ASAP.

Rob

We don't have the bolts.

Send them over or at least bring them along.

It will only save about 20 minutes if we have the bolts here before you get here. That little time saving might not be worth the chance that they could get lost in shipping.

We have 2 other cars coming in next week. (actually one got here tonight) for LS3 swaps, so we've got stuff we can do to them next week anyway.

Then starting the 15th it's all hands on getting your car done.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 11-05-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie good to see your shop nice and busy !
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if only i was rich...or had a sugar moma...great work!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

We don't have the bolts.

Send them over or at least bring them along.

It will only save about 20 minutes if we have the bolts here before you get here. That little time saving might not be worth the chance that they could get lost in shipping.

We have 2 other cars coming in next week. (actually one got here tonight) for LS3 swaps, so we've got stuff we can do to them next week anyway.

Then starting the 15th it's all hands on getting your car done.

Archie

OK,, i'll bring them. I'll give them a good cleaning, and maybe some paint too.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry all this is just a bump for me.

5 days until we start the swap. This week is going so slooooooooowwwwww

Archie, I have the 88 suspension bolts all cleaned up and looking good. They are coming with me.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-10-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob,

I take it you'll be driving your car with the LS3 for the poker run?

Hopefully I'll have mine back on the road tomorrow. Clutch is good now, but rear exhaust manifold started glowing after a couple minutes. 900+ degree temps at the center port aren't good.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is that LARGE "pickle" growing in my pants? Keep sending pic's

Cordially,
Kevin
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Hey Rob,

I take it you'll be driving your car with the LS3 for the poker run?

Hopefully I'll have mine back on the road tomorrow. Clutch is good now, but rear exhaust manifold started glowing after a couple minutes. 900+ degree temps at the center port aren't good.

Maybe. It all depends on the drive home. If I leave Friday, then I may make it. If not, then i'll be driving home Sat/Sun. Either way, you'll see it in January at the anniversary meeting.

Rob
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe. It all depends on the drive home. If I leave Friday, then I may make it. If not, then i'll be driving home Sat/Sun. Either way, you'll see it in January at the anniversary meeting.

Rob

Even if it snows?

Jim
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Even if it snows?

Jim

No, I don't do snow.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if it snows?

Jim

Don't jynx us! No more freak snow please.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I made it. 18 hours of driving, up hill the whole way :-)

It took me 5 years to get this motor in and running. Chris and Rob had it out in two hours.

After about 7 hours of mods, and hand-made parts, including creating several parts on the fly, Chris and Rob bolt the motor in. Not the test fit, we did that at about 2:00pm, this was the final. Its bolted in. They did it in the first day. Lots of little things to go, but the biggy is done.

more pics, and text later, I am bushed, I need a shower, and some sleep.

Cheers.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-15-2010).]

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see a picture of the alternator and rear head clearances, if you have one.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob got here this AM.

He may be posting a few pics he took yet tonight.

We got his car inside & started removing the engine.

Had it out in less than 3 hours & sat off to the side.

The new engine/trans/cradle assembly was ready to trial fit into the car.

We did a quick trial fit to make sure everything was good. Then pulled it back out & preped the engine compartment. Installed the waterpump, fuel pump, some water pipes that he had brought with him, put insullation on the bulkhead & a few other things. Also installed some of the suspension parts that he had bought.

Then we installed the engine into the car for the last time.

It's going pretty well, we got more stuff done today than we had originally thought we would.

Work continues tomorrow morning.

We'll tryo to post a few picks tomorrow during the day.

Archie

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I got to the hotel, before you got home. But I like your pictures better.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-15-2010).]

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what are you doing with your old setup?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe he said he already sold it in the mall section, at the beginning of this thread.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sold it about 4 weeks ago.

Rob
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you made it safe and sound - any travel stories on the way up?

Jim
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
another busy day. Rob and Chris worked thier butts off again. Today was a lot of little things, wire harness, plumbing for the coolant system, suspension etc.... Not a lot of pics but there was a lot of progress on the swap.

About 5 hours in and Rob has the harness about 90% done.

nothing new here, but I just love this shot. Chris spent a lot of time having to measure, cut, clamp, not only here but under the car. I have to get a shot from the bottom up tomorrow.

HT motorsports fully adjustable rear endlinks. This is going to be a nightmare to adjust. But boy does it look great.

Lots more tomorrow. Maybe even the video of the motor start. Chris/Rob figure about noon for the first start up.

Yee haa

Cheers from Machesney Park

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-16-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good - things are coming together nicely!

What kind of MPG did the tow beast get on the way up?

Jim
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lookin good - things are coming together nicely!

What kind of MPG did the tow beast get on the way up?

Jim

In the mtns, maybe 11, on the flats about 13. When I got to Triangle, they told me the same thing they told you. My F150 was not in, but they have a Dodge 2500 and a 3500. I went with the 2500. Its a 4x4 and it has the worst suspension I have ever felt. It drives like a 40' U-haul truck. bounce all over the place. My coke was flat because it shook so much.

Rob
highspeeddirt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for highspeeddirtSend a Private Message to highspeeddirtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Rob.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to the start up video.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. Its alive. yep it started. rob had it running about 2:00pm and he must of had it running for about an hour. Spent the afternoon tracking a fuel issue, and it may have a bad oil preasure sensor, but other than that it is running great. Hope to get it on the road by about 9:00 in the am, and spend the rest of the day working out the bugs. Have to get it alligned, and Chris has some work to do on the Fuel Rail Covers. Some small things also. I have a bad radiator over flow tank, and we have to get a new one on the car. Here are some pics.

one cover done, one to go.

This is what Archie runs to get parts in. And lunch too. This thing is awsome. Wicked fast. I have to get one just like this.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-17-2010).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Looking forward to the start up video.

I did shoot some initial start up video but I forgot to being it home tonight to upload.

I'll do it & some more video tomorrow.

Archie
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DONE!!!!

Few issues to work out. plan on putting some miles on it in the AM, then load it up, and head back to Va Beach. 18 hours of driving. NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT !!!!! But I have too. Anyway, Rob and Chris worked their butts off to get this done so fast. Other than a small problem with the idle at startup, and a small leak on the trans, its all done. The idle should be taken care of with a new "flash" on the ECM. The leak on the trans is another issue. I may have to drop the cradle and get the trans off to fix the leak. Im not happy with that. Anyone who is thinking of this swap, please do yourself a favor and go with the 6 speed. I wish I did, but now its to late.

I do have a video, but I forgot the cable from my camera so it will have to wait.

Cheers

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 11-18-2010).]

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a safe tow back home - you know we'll all pitch in to help with the tranny R&R!

Jim
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock