Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  My Fiero came back from paint!! PICS!! (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My Fiero came back from paint!! PICS!! by DeLorean00
Started on: 08-29-2008 09:31 PM
Replies: 320 (26450 views)
Last post by: rlndhill on 03-12-2021 04:31 PM
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well we are about to do something no one has done before. And that is to install REAL Ferrari brakes on a replica.

These are REAL 355 calipers, not covers. This is going to be very interesting. HT motorsports did all the leg work and engineering on these, so it should be a fairly straight forward install.
IP: Logged
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! How many pistons on those calipers? I'm starting to hate the look of my tiny & little puny rotors behind my 18s...I need to upgrade too.
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice ! Looks like 4-piston calipers..considering these calipers are made by Brembo, is there a possibility HT motorsports is going to offer brackets for other Brembo brakes ? I have a set of 996 carrera (brembo) calipers laying for 3 years now and still havent got into figureing out brackets for these
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, we installed the driver side brakes. We replaced the spindle with the one provided by HT motorsports, then installed the hub. After that was done we assembled a rotor and installed it along with a 355 caliper. Finally we installed a braided steel brake line. We had one small problem with the brake line but we will have that resolved next weekend.

Going smoothly so far, and I think it made a big difference in how the car looks. What do you think?

(note, the suspension is not settled that is why its sitting high.)

Before,

After,
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by Amida:

Cool! How many pistons on those calipers? I'm starting to hate the look of my tiny & little puny rotors behind my 18s...I need to upgrade too.

4. I think the brakes make a big difference in how the wheels look.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DeLorean00

4251 posts
Member since Aug 2005

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Nice ! Looks like 4-piston calipers..considering these calipers are made by Brembo, is there a possibility HT motorsports is going to offer brackets for other Brembo brakes ? I have a set of 996 carrera (brembo) calipers laying for 3 years now and still havent got into figureing out brackets for these

You could contact Erik and see if would be able to help you. This kit is very nice!!
FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is lookin real good! cant wait to see it all finished!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. What is HT's web address?
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Nice work. What is HT's web address?

Thanks!!

http://www.westshorefabricators.com/
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today, we installed the new master cylinder, proportioning valve, and lines.

Old master removed.

Booster repainted (was new at start of build.)

New master, proportioning valve and lines.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right On! How about a pair of gas struts for the bonnet?
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!! They make the wheels.

I'll bet you can't wait to see how well it stops.

Joe
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Nice!!! They make the wheels.

I'll bet you can't wait to see how well it stops.

Joe

Thanks!! Yep can't wait.

Today we finished the rear breaks.

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been waitin' to see if a set of big brakes were gonna make it behind those big purdy wheels. It outa be able to stop on a dime.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I need new brakes on the Formula as well.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-29-2010).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Thanks!! Yep can't wait.

Today we finished the rear breaks.

Am I looking at that wrong, or are the rotors turning the wrong way?
JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Am I looking at that wrong, or are the rotors turning the wrong way?

I don't think that it matters which way the spirals go. regardless of the direction of the spiral, the hot gasses will be released from between the pad and rotor when the groove passes by.

which way the spirals go is likely just aesthetics. I totally know where you're coming from though.

I would put them so that it rotated Clockwise as opposed to CCW. Subconsciously I want them rotating the other way regardless of any real advantage. kind of like these GA wheels:

[This message has been edited by JCUOIT (edited 04-02-2010).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my other thread we went over this same thing.

I thought the same thing. However the arrows on the rotor say that is correct mounting. Because originally I was going to mount them the other way around.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm hopine Erik at HTmotorsports can come up with something economical for my '88 soon.

You have a PM.

JCUOIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2010 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCUOITSend a Private Message to JCUOITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, i got curious and found out that it has nothing to do with the slots, a little to do with the drilled holes, and Just about EVERYTHING to do with the internal vanes of the rotor itself.

i got the following info from this page: http://www.zeckhausen.com/h...y_install_rotors.htm

The following is by Dave Zeckhausen.

Directional vs. Straight Vane Rotors (smooth surface)

Most "normal" cars come with straight vane rotors, with internal cooling vanes that extend straight from the center of the rotor outward, like spokes on a wagon wheel. (See drawing on lower right) These rotors are not as efficient at cooling, but they are less expensive to manufacture and car dealers only have to stock a single part for both sides of the car.

Some higher performance cars come with "directional rotors", which have curved or tilted internal cooling vanes. These curved vanes pump more air through the rotors, resulting in improved cooling efficiency. Thus, there is a left and a right rotor. When the directional rotors are properly installed, these internal vanes should lean toward the back of the car - as shown in the diagram on the lower left.

Main Factor of Proper Rotation: VAIN DIRECTION.

Slotted Rotors

As with the plain rotors discussed above, the internal vanes should lean toward the back of the car. The direction of the slots on the outside of the rotor do not dictate whether the rotor is a left or a right. For rotors with slots machined in the same direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the back of the car. For rotors with slots machined in the opposite direction as the internal cooling vanes, the slots should lean toward the front of the car. Bottom line - don't use the slots to decide which side to mount the rotor. Pay attention to the internal cooling vanes.
For slotted rotors with straight internal cooling vanes, the direction of the slots is totally up to you and what you think looks best. In this case, there is no wrong answer.

Main Factor of Proper Rotation: VAIN DIRECTION, regardless of direction the slots are cut.

Drilled Rotors

It is not possible to tell if a drilled rotor is installed properly, simply by observing the drill pattern. Different manufacturers use different patterns with spiral "arms" that appear to lean in either direction, regardless of the internal cooling fin orientation. For example, StopTech AeroRotors, used on their big brake kits, have a drill pattern that appears to lean to the front of the car. Porsche OEM rotors have a drill pattern that appears to lean to the back of the car. In both cases, the internal cooling fins are properly oriented, leaning backwards. But the drill pattern is opposite. This is why Porsche mechanics often install StopTech big brake kit rotors backwards, despite the big "L" and "R" stickers on the rotors! They're relying on the drill pattern, rather than the direction of the internal cooling vanes.

As with slotted rotors, one must check the direction of the internal cooling vanes in order to determine the proper orientation of drilled rotors.

Main Factor of Proper Rotation: VAIN DIRECTION, regardless of direction the spiral "arms".

Hope that helps

Copyright © 2008 Zeckhausen Racing, LLC
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2010 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakes are done and working!! Its raining today so I haven't been able to go out and drive it.
PFF
System Bot
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome about the vanes.. Learn something every day!

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

Well we are about to do something no one has done before. And that is to install REAL Ferrari brakes on a replica.

These are REAL 355 calipers, not covers. This is going to be very interesting. HT motorsports did all the leg work and engineering on these, so it should be a fairly straight forward install.

They look awesome. At first I thought you found a great way to repaint Wilwood calipers. (like the Fieroaddiction kit //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/092567.html) I have to say, that real Ferrari brakes look so much better.
Are those still Corvette rotors?

Below: Fieroaddiction 13" Wilwood brakes. (unfortunately he stopped selling them. - for now )

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 04-12-2010).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys for not being around much. My home life has been a bit difficult.

However we are getting there. I have been putting some test miles on it. Man this thing gets a lot of attention. Ferrari brakes stop a Fiero like you would not believe.

VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been following this build over on the kitcar forums. Best 355 replica I've seen
328 mera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 328 meraSend a Private Message to 328 meraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel:

I've been following this build over on the kitcar forums. Best 355 replica I've seen

for me too; very nice read.

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Super nice build
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!! A lot of blood sweat and tears have gone into this build.

Here are a few updated photos of some interior work I have been doing. Hopefully more progress here soon on this build.

Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SHARP!!!!!
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the grand am wheels on mine
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2011 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We fabricated a glove box for the Amida interior. We made it out of a sheet of flat plastic. Its nice to a real glove box in the dash of a Fiero.

PFF
System Bot
ALL_CAMMED_UP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALL_CAMMED_UPSend a Private Message to ALL_CAMMED_UPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks sweet dude, im about to paint my fiero too
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantasic looking kit!

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd Getrag
Lowering Springs
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a kit. There is no such thing as a 355 kit. He bought the very best body from John Watson and assembled it in his own way with his own parts. There are a few actual body kits out there like cobras. Just don't want anyone thinking they can buy a kit with all the parts and a complete assembly manual. This is a testament to the skills of Chris.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Not a kit. There is no such thing as a 355 kit. He bought the very best body from John Watson and assembled it in his own way with his own parts. There are a few actual body kits out there like cobras. Just don't want anyone thinking they can buy a kit with all the parts and a complete assembly manual. This is a testament to the skills of Chris.

Please if you are going to call me out have YOUR facts straight. It is most definantly a kit.

The owner, Chris, said this on page 2 of this thread.
"Thank You!

The kit is from

www.ad355.com"

Also here is a quote from the AD355.com homepage.
"(This car WAS built from the ACTUAL John Watson kit; it is NOT the ORIGINAL!)"

I feel it is in bad taste that you 1. Did not check your facts before you called me a liar on the forum and 2. Did not contact me via pm to discuss this before making a post for all to see.

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000099.html

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I am so sorry. I did not mean to call you a liar. I don't care whether chis called it a john watson kit or not. I have a john watson ad355 body too. No way is it a "kit". My definition of a kit is a package with everything you need to put it together. John sold only the body. I have a cartuning kit for my car. it is a "kit". If I just bought the turbo it would not be a "kit". When I said it is not a "kit" I was not implying that it is a real Ferrari. When you buy a John Watson body (now Bartman), You do not get anything but the body. Please accept my apology for what I believe is a missunderstanding. both of my replicas are not "kits". I always resist people asking me if it is a kit car as I believe when they say this they think they can send for a "kit" and assemble it. There is a ton of work and material to buy after you get the "body" I hope this clears it up. Were you implying that Chris bought a complete "kit" or only that it is not a Ferrari? Again not calling you a liar. I was at John Watson place in Tennga Georgia with Chris and Shane (brastic) when we all bought our bodys, so I am not uninformed. I believe we are misscommunicating here and it is a matter of semantics. I'm very very sorry that you took my statement the way you did.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 03-06-2011).]

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok lets clear things up. Dratts is right. We all bought our bodies together.

However I may have fueled the confusion by calling it a kit. It simply is not a kit, its only a body. A very nicely shaped body, but only a body. There are no brackets, lights, glass, instructions, hinges, bolts, etc. Its just fiberglass that you have to fit yourself. Every detail you see added to this car was added by me through countless hours of research and fabrication.

I hope that clears things up.
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Point taken however most Kits do not come with everything either. You usually have to buy all the brackets bolt and stuff extra. All I was trying to say it is an excellent car!

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed. excellent car is probably an understatement. I'm not aware of a 355 of this caliber and I've seen some very nice 355s. Someone can chime in if they know different, but I think there are kits for cobras that are all inclusive like Archies master 350 kit which eliminate a lot of time sourcing parts and figuring out solutions. I finally looked in on your build. Gonna look real nice!
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine has a longgggg way to go! Getting there though. I figure it will take another 6 months of work for me to be happy. Then I can take it apart and clean it up again. So it might be done for next Daytona.

Thanks for the complement though.

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
Lowering Springs
Konis
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie