Started on: 11-21-2009 02:36 AM
Replies: 193 (13645 views)
Last post by: Danyel on 08-01-2012 09:16 AM
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Not sure if the limit switch actuator fingers were taken off the shaft or not. I have seen these upside down and will not make proper contact with the limit switch. Also I have seen the springs that seperate the two fingers collapsed and do not put enough tension on the fingers to actuate the switch. I have seen a few GM gen 1 headlight motors with inferior springs too. Also could be the contacts in the switches are dirty.

Note the difference in the springs:

Pat

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing this info. I have a set of motors to rebuild. this info will help out.

Stewart, kudos on your and Boysats work on the engine swap. I am intrested in the details of the swap and pictures of how you guys did things.
IP: Logged
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
took a few minutes to upload pictures this morning. SO i figured I would post a few and a link to the album. I took all the pictures with my blackberry, so there not the best but alright.

http://s23.photobucket.com/.../fiero%2034L%20swap/

You can see the center engine mount in the picture, the stock front mount brack was used off the 2.8 with a bit of cutting and a different rubber mount.

Stewart standing in the car making the fuel lines, He made all metal and plastic lines with quick disconnects. He had the fancy kit and tools to make those, they look cleaner and very simple to unhook.

In this picture you can see my custom dipstick.

Idler pulley replacing the water pump.

Intake Manifold painted to match the car.

------------------

Blue 1987 GT, Yellow T-top 1986 GT
www.FierosandMore.com This is a link to my personal web site, has pictures of all my projects and parts for sale.

[This message has been edited by boysatt (edited 12-11-2009).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great. It exceeds what I expected by a long shot. As stated, kudos.
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are close ups of the mounts. Steward has part numbers for them, but I believe they are off a old dodge truck.

This mount was used instead of a dog bone.

Front trans mount

Rear trans mount

First attempt at a custom rear valve cover, had too much angle the first time.

First test fit
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

boysatt

1232 posts
Member since May 2005
Working on the test fit

Custom true dual exhaust

Final attempt at a oil filler, work perfect this time.

boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

boysatt

1232 posts
Member since May 2005

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I see what you did for the front mount. I couldn't visualize why you weren't using a dog bone until now.

Those look very solid, and I see two front mounts. One just inside the exhaust hump on the front of the motor, and one down below the transmission/alternator on the cradle.

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can say I was wrong in doubting that it wouldn't turn out nice. Very nice job guy's on the swap.

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1987 Fiero Coupe
1986 Fiero Base Coupe..Steel Wheels Baby!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being built now!
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ centerline "Q" Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also see what you did with the true dual exhaust. That is going to sound wicked.

Again, please accept my apologies. You guys have blown me away.
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know most of you guys really don't know me but I am a mechanic and a collision repair Tech for a living. I can do it all from rebuild a engine to fixing a smashed up car. Engine swaps is something I love to do, I have done a few in fiero's from the 3.4 pushrod, now 3.4 DOHC, 3800SC, Chevy Small block, Cadillac 4.9L and a Honda H23. But I wore work with f-bodys and do LT and LS conversions in 67 to 92 bodys. Have been a few years since my last swap but I also to porsche and rx7 V8 conversions too.

I take pride in what I do and I am a perfectionist. I will build a car nicer for my customers than myself.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boysatt:

I know most of you guys really don't know me but I am a mechanic and a collision repair Tech for a living. I can do it all from rebuild a engine to fixing a smashed up car. Engine swaps is something I love to do, I have done a few in fiero's from the 3.4 pushrod, now 3.4 DOHC, 3800SC, Chevy Small block, Cadillac 4.9L and a Honda H23. But I wore work with f-bodys and do LT and LS conversions in 67 to 92 bodys. Have been a few years since my last swap but I also to porsche and rx7 V8 conversions too.

I take pride in what I do and I am a perfectionist. I will build a car nicer for my customers than myself.

The car looks great. I honestly have no doubts about your abilities now. I am very impressed with what you, Stuart and everyone else have pulled off. It looks fantastic, and I am genuinely ashamed for my original thoughts and opinions.

If I had the time and money to take my car off of the road to have a swap done, I'd ask you guys to duplicate what you have done with Tyler's car on mine. It looks fantastic!
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boysatt:

I believe it Looks great!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2009 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work! I showed the pics to my low mileage 87GT. She now has engine envy! I personally love the sound of that engine. It is it's own monster.

Tony

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job boysatt, and the rest of you there swappin'. I bet some of us who think about swaps in the future may give you some more business!
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boysatt
In this picture you can see my custom dipstick.

Save it for your girl man... No one here wants to see your dipstick... custom or not.
01GPGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 01GPGTSend a Private Message to 01GPGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that is vary nice.

have any vids of how the new engine sounds

[This message has been edited by 01GPGT (edited 12-11-2009).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic job guys!!!! I am so glad this is going well.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2009 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent work guys. Very nice looking swap. The motor mounts look great. Nice touch with the manifold. There should have never been any doubt in your guys ability and dedication. Thanks for all you have done for Tyler and his Toy. We need some video so we can hear that baby purr.

Pat

farmerstu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for farmerstuSend a Private Message to farmerstuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

*all questions or statements about the video or any questions regarding it may be sent to David Svare... VIA Facebook, Youtube comments, or hotmail ( redlined_racer@hotmail.com) Thank You!

[This message has been edited by farmerstu (edited 12-12-2009).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow fantastic job guys!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After watching that video... I'm really mad at myself for missing out on a crate LQ1 last week.

Great job... seriously. This is just amazing - brilliant work. (now, come down here and help me with something...? haha )
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job , looks like Tyler had some good times too!
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think that there would have been any doubts if anyone here could have known the size and expertise of the group doing the swap. A few updates would have shut every one up.

Great work guys!
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whats new?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2009 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh... Tyler has the car... I don't know what else would be new.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2009 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
freakin eh ...ah the power of the DOHC

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 12-22-2009).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

whats new?

I heard Tylers family was building a garage to store the Fieros, his and one for his sister, which they have as well. Not sure when that was taking place.
Dan Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RoSend a Private Message to Dan RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do we know how Tyler likes the 3.4 DOHC?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dan Ro:

Do we know how Tyler likes the 3.4 DOHC?

Here you go

The other thread has info
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/078180-69.html

There is a vid above a few posts here as well

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-21-2010).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping.
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump. why the engine swap exactly?
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McTamney:

bump. why the engine swap exactly?

An engine was donated by Stuart Restadt, of Pelican Rapids, MN. He had a brand new 3.4 DOHC crate engine sitting in the garage, and had no use for it. He had already performed a 3.4 DOHC swap in his wife's Fiero as well, so had the background on it.

The engine was originally donated with two options, one was to auction it off and use the funds for the car, and the other was that if Tyler wanted it, he could have it installed in the car.

Tyler opted for the engine, as he was a horsepower kind of guy.

Stuart hand-picked a crew that was very well rounded. Since Stuart had his own well equipped automotive shop on his farm, he then called in some contacts with exhaust and transmission shops, etc.
Those people came out and invested their time and money and expertise in the engine swap.

boysatt, who helped with the build itself also helped out with the engine swap.

The car is not unique in the engine choice, but there is no other car exactly like this one. There is only one "Tyler's Toy", and the engine is perfect for the car.
NeoNot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeoNotSend a Private Message to NeoNotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to give this thread a bump to remember all those that worked so hard to make sure Tyler's dream came true!

I havent been able to work on my Fiero's in quite some time but I still make it by the forums on occassion and always like looking through this thread and see how total strangers came together for one young man.

I know it is long over due but I would just like to say thank you to all those that worked on this project.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can see the build on www.tylerstoy.com ... ''Gallery'' section

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors