Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Project XTC - The Rehabilitation! (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Project XTC - The Rehabilitation! by katatak
Started on: 03-14-2009 05:57 PM
Replies: 466 (20912 views)
Last post by: Marine1981 on 10-14-2011 11:47 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New project for the XTC fell into my lap today.

I am going to install this into the XTC - will have to cut a "scoop" into the XTC deck lid but I think it will work out great and give the ol 4.9 all the cool fresh air it can suck in!

Moooowahaaaaaa! I Own Page Ten!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 06-05-2010).]

IP: Logged
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update!

Worked on installing the rebuilt door hinges today. 102* outside did not slow him down. He got both side done before dark.

On another note, I noticed a problem with the 4.9 today. Can't put my finger on it just yet but it has kind of a "bog". When rolling along say 5 to 10 mph - mash the gas and bog. Acts like it's not getting any fuel - as soon as it shifts down, bam - it comes alive? Almost like rolling at 10 in 4th and mashing the gas - shift to 2nd and it takes off! I'll have to do some troubleshooting. I'll see what the guru's say over in tech.

More later

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well after a few days of looking over the XTC this weekend, I have the problem solved or at least one of them. I spent about 15 hours yesterday tracing wires, checking voltage, bench testing fuel pumps, etc. etc. I have been in every possible location an old fat man can get into on the car - at least 3 times each! The car was really fighting me yesterday - add to that that I could not get it straight in my head how the wiring and the everything operates the fuel pump and it all equals a real hard time.

There is a 3 wire connector at the firewall that goes to the fuel tank. One Black, One Pink and One Brown w/ White stripe in that order. When I pulled the connector apart, the wires were a little brittle. I put my ohm meter on the black - o ohms and set off the continuity alarm. I put it on the pink - center wire and had 36.1 ohms but still tripped the continuity alarm? So I switched over to AC and found that this wire had 8.0 volts? Here's where I messed up. I had convinced myself right then and there that this was the reason for the poor fuel pressure - not enough voltage for the pump! Well after hours of reading, asking questions here on PFF and climbing in and out and under the car, I realized that this wire was for the gas gauge (this is a whole other issue).

I bench tested the pump that was in the car several times a few different ways and decided that it was OK. I put it back in the tank and just before I crawled under the car to put the tank back in, I decided to test it one more time. This time I could only get it to put out about 50 psi but it would not hold pressure - it dropped to 0 immediately! I ended up finding that it was leaking around the top of the pump. So I go buy another pump, install it, install the tank and get everything hooked up. This is where I discovered that I was looking at the wrong wire for pump voltage. Turns out that the brown w/ white stripe is the positive feed for the pump. I had the Wife cycle the key while I put the meter on the brown w/ white stripe wire and had 11.8 volts! All that head bashing against the wall because I did not complete my initial "checking of the wires". As soon as I had that 8.0 volts on the pink wire, I had the problem solved - not!.

So that leads to the gas gauge problem. Right now with the wire from the sending unit disconected and with the key off, the gas guage reads above the full mark. Turn the key on and it pegs. Someone said in the thread I posted in tech that I should have low voltage on this wire? So I'm thinking I have a bad gas gauge or something goofy in the cluster? That's another days project. I could barely walk this morning after my battle with it yesterday.

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like more brake problems on the XTC. Son noticed a rubbing/grinding noise on the way home from work last night. I took it for a spin this AM. It only does it costing at less than 5mph. Dissapears with application of the brake pedal or pulling the hand brake. The right rear rotor looks pretty bad and I am missing an anti rattle clip on the outside pad. When it cools doen this evening, I'll tear it down and see whats up!

More later!

Pat

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Pulled the back tires off the XTC this afternoon and found that both rear calipers were loose - again - even with locktite? What is going on here? So I dismantled both sides, cleaned the threads out of the mounts and the threads on the bolts. Applied fresh thread locker - Blue - and reassembled. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to mess with these caliper bolts. Next time, a tack weld will be incorporated!

Pat

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning, I scrounged up an old air dam off an 86 SE for the XTC. As I have posted earlier in this thread, I have a "cooling" problem at hi way speeds - even with Duke it was an issue. It is all related to the front nose of the XTC body - it's longer and there is nothing to direct the air to the rad. I took the stock SE air dam and went under the front end. I found that most of the mounting holes in the air dam lined up with existing holes in the XTC chassis just under the rad. I had to "trim" the air dam on both ends and then bolted it on. We took her out for a spin and low and behold, it did make a difference - about 20* on the gauge. Went from 230* on the Interstate to 210*. Now we need to add a few internal air defelctors inside the nose from the grill to the rad to help direct more air through the grill. In was definitely an improvement. Should have done it a long time ago.

More later!

Pat
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy to see you guys are still alive out there in El Paso. I was beginning ot worry aout you .

Joe
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Happy to see you guys are still alive out there in El Paso. I was beginning ot worry aout you .

Joe

Hey Joe,

Just got a lot of stuff happening these days. A 3800 SC swap, a 3.4 swap, maybe another 3.4 swap and a 2.8 upgrade. Just busy. How's that 4,9 coming? Have you been for a spin yet?

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

New project for the XTC fell into my lap today.

I am going to install this into the XTC - will have to cut a "scoop" into the XTC deck lid but I think it will work out great and give the ol 4.9 all the cool fresh air it can suck in!

Moooowahaaaaaa! I Own Page Ten!

This morning, we went to work on the deck lid of the XTC to install the "above air cleaner setup. I was a little nervous to begin with - It's just hard to start cutting on a perfectly good hood. But we bit our lips and dove in.

Underneath side - matched to the air cleaner gasket - need to do some "finish" work but this will do till we get going on the body and paint:

Flipped it over and cut the top side - a little more nerv racking: No going back now!

Trim and sand and fit and trim and sand and fit and repeat!

Getting closer:

Done for now:

I love this pic!

When we start the body work in a month or so, the plan is to flush mount these into the deck and smooth / blend it all together - it's functional for now and it does not look too bad as is. These are scoops off a T Bird Turbo Coupe.

A parting shot:
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

love the decklid mods ! Functional and looks great !

You mentioned body work, what other mods do you have planned ??

I like the car, but i just think the front and rear overhang are just too much. If both were shorter the XTC would be totally killer.

hehehe but that is waaaay easier said than done, At any rate good job on the modification,
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Scoops look great Pat! The XTC will be even faster now.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
love the decklid mods ! Functional and looks great !

You mentioned body work, what other mods do you have planned ??

I like the car, but i just think the front and rear overhang are just too much. If both were shorter the XTC would be totally killer.

hehehe but that is waaaay easier said than done, At any rate good job on the modification,

We are planning on shortening the back - about 4" to 5". Looks like it will be fairly straight forward for the rear. The front will be tougher to get right. It's hard to shorten a "wedge" without a lot of work. We may just cut rhe nose off and build a new - shorter nose? Another mod is to remove the "flair" at the rockers and all the way around the car - basically round the flair off. Also plan on filling in the "belt line", smoothing out the "louvers" ahead of the headlights and rehape the head light covers. Looking at the 1/4 window area for some changes - it just looks unfinished. Also need to spend a lot of time "adjusting" the body to get all the door seams right. I am tihnking about taking the body off and starting over on the body mounts. The original builder did not do a great job and there are some issues that need to be fixed before we spend a lot of time on body changes. It will be a big project but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for your reply.

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Scoops look great Pat! The XTC will be even faster now.

Ha - Rick! I think that added at least another 25 HP......lol It turned out pretty good but will be better once we blend it all together.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We are planning on shortening the back - about 4" to 5". Looks like it will be fairly straight forward for the rear. The front will be tougher to get right. It's hard to shorten a "wedge" without a lot of work. We may just cut rhe nose off and build a new - shorter nose? Another mod is to remove the "flair" at the rockers and all the way around the car - basically round the flair off. Also plan on filling in the "belt line", smoothing out the "louvers" ahead of the headlights and rehape the head light covers. Looking at the 1/4 window area for some changes - it just looks unfinished. Also need to spend a lot of time "adjusting" the body to get all the door seams right. I am tihnking about taking the body off and starting over on the body mounts. The original builder did not do a great job and there are some issues that need to be fixed before we spend a lot of time on body changes. It will be a big project but I am looking forward to it. Thanks for your reply.

Pat

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

That sounds like a job for a profeshunal! I'll be down there with my "tools"*

* "tools" = BF Hammer, Sawzall, another BF Hammer, and a prybar.

------------------
86 SE ChopTop 4 Speed 3.4 "The Short Bus"

SOLD!

88 GT "The Stray" 4.9 (in progress..)
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
08 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Dually.
05 Tahoe on 20's (Kid hauler)

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

That sounds like a job for a profeshunal! I'll be down there with my "tools"*

* "tools" = BF Hammer, Sawzall, another BF Hammer, and a prybar.

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to install the AC lines in the AM and see if we can get the AC to work! Should be fun!

Pat

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you received my PM?

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08
Work done 08-09
Work done 09-10
4.9 ongoing project

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

Did you received my PM?

Did not see your PM - have not checked in here in awhile - send it again.

Pat

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Update:

Installed a "short" shifter that we got from Carver1. Also fixed some "damage" sustained after a brief encounter with a curb - seems like a U rutn was taken a little fast and then a slight tap of the throttle spun the car out of control and left it sitting on top of the curb. Put a good wanger in the right front rim. Pushed the right front valance back into the tire. I was amazed that it did not explode the fiberglass. Just a rub spot where it hit the curb and bent 2 mount brackets. CJ spent the whole day sworking on the car and did all the work himself - I was proud to see him take on the repairs and the shifter project all on his own.

More later!

Pat
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2010 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P,

Just caught myself up on the thread - LOOKING GOOD! The vents look great! I'm glad you found a place for them. Many many years ago I had a replica Porsche 550 Spyder and remember having to cut into the finished painted body to make holes for jacking points and other misc items. That first cut into the body was so nerve racking!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sofa King:

P,

Just caught myself up on the thread - LOOKING GOOD! The vents look great! I'm glad you found a place for them. Many many years ago I had a replica Porsche 550 Spyder and remember having to cut into the finished painted body to make holes for jacking points and other misc items. That first cut into the body was so nerve racking!

I hear that! This winter when we start all the body mods, it's going to be nerve racking. At least I can butter it back together if I mess it up. I miaght just have to put all the original Coupe body panels back on it after I mess up the XTC body!

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1K

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I photoshopped this up a while ago, here's what it could look like...sort of. I madcurl'd the wheels, chopped it, gave it bigger wheel wells, lengthened the sail panel, and of course, shortened the overhangs.

[This message has been edited by Fiero1K (edited 09-19-2010).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If only it was that easy to do in real life.....looks great!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1K:

I photoshopped this up a while ago, here's what it could look like...sort of. I madcurl'd the wheels, chopped it, gave it bigger wheel wells, lengthened the sail panel, and of course, shortened the overhangs.

That is sick!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if it would be easier to donuts in with the shortened overhangs? (Back to my bridge I go...)
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK. So... is it done yet?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I wonder if it would be easier to donuts in with the shortened overhangs? (Back to my bridge I go...)

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

He already "spun" out and parked it on a curb!
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1K:

That resembles the new Camaro alot.

DavePatron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavePatronClick Here to visit DavePatron's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavePatronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow those wheels make it look really aggressive. good job man!

------------------
Just got a 88 Formula! Got parts? i need suspension parts! hit me up!

want a real upgrade?
Lamborghini Kit Cars ~~~JOBS HIRING

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update!

Now that the temps are cooling off here in far West Texas, I am planning on starting an interior rebuild for the XTC. I have a few "concepts" that my good friend "Sofa King" did for me last year and I am going to attempt to build an interior that will do justice to his design.

I have been gathering interior parts and have everything I need to get started. The last piece of the puzzle is a "parts" car. I really just want the Fiero "cab" - frame with the front cut off from the trunk wall forward and the rear from the firewall back. Plus cut the roof off to make for "easy" access. This way I can mount it on a roll around cart and get it inside my work shop out back. I can build all the interior parts in the cab and not have to worry about resin dripping in the car, etc. I can use the front part I cut off for a "Fiero Trailer" project I have planned and the back end will be used for an engine swap mock up fixture.

Don't worry, I will not chop up a potential "driver". I have located an 85 GT in the junk yard and if I can get just the chassis for 100.00 to 200.00, I'll chop it up for what I need. While I am building the interior out back, we will be performing major body surgery on the XTC in the garage out front. The plan is to have it completed by Spring. It's a lofty goal but I think we can get it done.

Pat
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:

Well my son came to me last night and told me that he did not want the XTC anymore! He has his eyes set on my Formula? So today, it's official. He now drives the Formula and I have posession of the XTC once again. This changes everything! Now I have to get the V8 Coupe up and running so I can tear into the XTC - it will need a lot of work before I will drive it much. Lot's planned and I am hoping to have it done for the Gunnison run in August next year.

I will be removing the interior this week. Once that is done, the body work on the outside will begin. Lot's of mods planned for the body and the interior. Fortunately, the car needs nothing mechanically. I'll update with pics as I go. Looks like I'll have 2 Fiero projects going at once.

More later!

Pat
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Pat...

Is this a good update? Are you glad to be taking over the XTC project?
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008
So Pat...

I hope this a good update? Are you glad to be taking over the XTC project?
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sofa King:

So Pat...

I hope this a good update? Are you glad to be taking over the XTC project?

Yep..... Good turn of events! I have been reluctant to "work" on the XTC - wanting my son to be the guy to do anything to the car. Now that his HS football is finished, he is focused on working to save money before he heads off to college next year. His priorities have changed - for the better I think. He is really focused on going to a technical school. It looks like either UTI, Wyo Tech or Redstone?

I'm lookiong forward to working the XTC over - kind of been my plan all along. I'll be needing your help Greg! I need to get the V8 Coupe running/driving first. Then I can concentrate on the XTC. The planned body mods will be a big challenge but one I am looking forward too! If I did not have the coupe torn apart right now, the XTC would be getting al the attention.

SOmething for you to think about. I'll try and dig up some pics but if you find some free time, look for some interior shots for a 1965 Buick Rivy! I am looking at that basic form for the XTC interior. I want the center console to be no wider than the actual tunnel and slightly taper to be narrower on top. I'll send you some pics as soon as I can find some.

Pat

Pat
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Hey Greg!

Here's some pics of what I am thinking. Of course I will "modernize" this some but this is the basic form I like. PLan is for a complete dash rebuild integrated into the console, arm rest, etc.

I really love this dash look:

Pat
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE IT! That's going to be a fun build!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sofa King

929 posts
Member since Aug 2008

I'll be needing your help Greg!... SOmething for you to think about. I'll try and dig up some pics but if you find some free time, look for some interior shots for a 1965 Buick Rivy! I am looking at that basic form for the XTC interior. I want the center console to be no wider than the actual tunnel and slightly taper to be narrower on top. I'll send you some pics as soon as I can find some.

I'm in! If you can, send me a pic of the interior without the dash. I'll start banging my head on the desk for ideas!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally got around to fooling around with the XTC today. I had a few things that needed attention and I wanted to install a shift cable braket that I fabbed up so I dove into it.

First issue is that the car seemed to be running rich? So I pulled the air cleaner off and noticed that the air filter was nearly plugged. We installed this setup from Jeff's 88 GT and I guess we never really looked at the filter. It's a K&N so I cleaned and rinsed it, reoiled it and reinstalled - what a difference! I'll have to keep a closer eye on that from now on.

Second issue was that when I built the exhaust, I intended on picking up some nice tips to extend out past the lower rear valance. I never got around to it and because the exhaust was dumping just behind the valance, it was starting to burn the fiberglass. I spent a week searching around town and on the net and just could not find a set of tips that I liked - mosty due to price - as these are only temporary until we start the body mods in January. What I ended up doing was getting some exhaust pipe and cut it to length, slipped them onto the mufflers and gave them a shot of VHT high heat paint. I had to do a little trimming on the valance but it turned out ok. It will work until I cut the back off the car.

Nice clean Air Filter made a big difference - I'm thinking I might even get a little better MPG.

Installed a new shift cable bracket - I have driven the car a few miles and this setup seems to work fine. I still can't get 1st but I think I can adjust it a little and get it.

Pre tips!

Left side!

Right side with paint:

Left side with paint:

And both!

Then I got a wild hair and decided to see what the tires and wheel I got for the V8 Coupe would look like on the XTC. I kind of like the look but the tires are too "tall" and actually rubbed in the fender well while turning. Plus, it still has the problem of not sitting "out" enough. I am searching now for some custom rims to get the right offset without having to use the spacers. I think these will look good on the V8 Coupe!

More later!

Pat
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFS: Fiero Mera Cromodora like wheels with nearly new BF Goodrich tires - $799

Pat, the wheels in this thread have a lot of negative offset. They might work on the XTC.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock