Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  SPY PICS!....first secrets of the GTR exposed! (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
SPY PICS!....first secrets of the GTR exposed! by Fie Ro
Started on: 07-21-2003 07:25 AM
Replies: 717 (103736 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-31-2016 03:07 AM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ik ook !

Most of the front suspension is finally done and installed..

There are still a few jobs to do to the front underbody... first this airdam bracket is toast

I just started to make a simple replacement piece in aluminium and will restore the other parts...then I can set up the intercooler hoses (I will have to add a little mod to the airdam for that) and then I want to fabricate a support bracket for the nose to feel save if I ever get to test the top speed ...when its done
IP: Logged
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started with some scrap aluminium with a good thickness

mapping and drilling new holes

testfitting

This cut is needed to clear the IC radiator tubing

I will use 4 L profiles for strength and pop rivet them

Now theres some extra space to try to setup the tubing for the IC radiator. I decided I want the pump mounted in the front trunk...for easy access I guess. This doesnt make the routing easier..hehe. After some trying and combining hoses and adapters:

This is a Fiero hose, it fits and curves just right!

Sorry about the bad picture quality.....iphone camera and low light dont go well together..
More to come
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Started with some scrap aluminium with a good thickness

mapping and drilling new holes

testfitting

This cut is needed to clear the IC radiator tubing

I will use 4 L profiles for strength and pop rivet them

Now theres some extra space to try to setup the tubing for the IC radiator. I decided I want the pump mounted in the front trunk...for easy access I guess. This doesnt make the routing easier..hehe. After some trying and combining hoses and adapters:

This is a Fiero hose, it fits and curves just right!

Sorry about the bad picture quality.....iphone camera and low light dont go well together..
More to come

well you adopt me please???
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BabyVet:
well you adopt me please???

Thats ok but you will get to do the dirty/boring jobs

Some finished, cleaned and painted parts..:

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats ok but you will get to do the dirty/boring jobs

Some finished, cleaned and painted parts..:

i'm game for it!!! so when you want my adoption papers??? lol
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, moving to the front trunk, I will pull everything out to route the IC plumbing first..

I got two bilge type pumps (1 new spare) with the kit, the used one has a cut or broken outlet so I am going to switch some parts..

Now it is set up, the threaded inlet and nut make it possible to mount it through/to the trunk wall, added teflon for sealing and made an adapter to mount the wider radiator hose

2 holes

fitting the pump inlet

I dont know about the reliabilty of these pumps (theyre made by Johnson), but they are easily replaced (click and turn cartridge type), cheap and now easy accessable (just lift the front hood )

Getting more stuff hooked up
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why haven't i seen this thread before! You really have some talent there pal. I literally read this entire thread today. Brilliant just brilliant!
FieroCustom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, it's been awhile since I tuned into this one. Why isn't this in the construction zone yet? Your car is one of the most built bodies out there. Your fiberglassing skills are very good and inspirational to me to try my body changes. Keep up your awesome build.
~John

------------------
John
1955 Chevrolet 210 Sedan (Sitting idle for the moment)
1988 SE seized duke... next engine?
1988 CJB T-Top (Project car)
2001 Saturn LW300 (Daily driver)
2001 Saturn SL1

Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCustom:

Wow, it's been awhile since I tuned into this one. Why isn't this in the construction zone yet? Your car is one of the most built bodies out there. Your fiberglassing skills are very good and inspirational to me to try my body changes. Keep up your awesome build.
~John

I am going to have to agree with this as well as all the other praise posts. Your car is beautiful and your workmanship top notch, you put the rest of us to shame.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fie RO, when you get a chance, could you update this thread with more pics of your Fiero interior and outside?
I would love to see more recent/current pictures (both wide angle, and details shots)
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words, guess I am pretty devoted to this little obsession.. ...but it also takes a lot of time in learning (from mistakes) and finally getting stuff sorted out and done..
got some stuff done this week though..!
changed my fancy replacement radiator overflow can bracket setup to a custom bend basic bracket to clear the hoodvent and headlights..
painted and installed bracket

PFF
System Bot
FieroCustom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yay, it's been pushed, no, promoted to The Construction Zone!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yo, thanks ! I was already thinking to pm Cliff to put it here..
I'll put up some more progress pics after this post
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the great work!!!

I love this thread!!

------------------
Order Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html
Other decal, poster, banner, floor graphic needs, go here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045657.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some tubing ...!
2m of 22mm ID heater hose
2m of 10mm ID fuelhose
4m of 8mm ID fuelhose
3m of 50mm2 battery wire (I have a front mount battery)...I didnt do a math on the needed thickness but it feels like a thick enough wire

Turned a plug for the egr port on the stock rear (L67) exhaust manifold

testfit

I was thinking on using JBweld to stick it there...good or bad idea?

IC tubing guides

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last friday I had the front hubs done, removing the studs was a 5 minute job with help of an hydraulic press. Then I dropped them off to have them turned down , they got it done the same afternoon. That was a 45min 65 euro job according to the bill, which I think is reasonable

cleaned, prepped, a basecoat of zinc primer and painted with hi-temp paint

testfit

Time to drop the fueltank for paint and a Walbro fuelpump

I will replace most of the old tubing, especially the metal lines after the filter that have rusted inside and caused injector problems in the past
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2009 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question: What year is your Fiero?

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-18-2009).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2009 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Max, it is an 1987..
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-19-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if I have ever chimed in here. Great build thread. I know that I enjoyed the read. I also try to keep up on your postings. I bet that a lot of others here are interested in you build. Good luck to you, and keep up the high quality of work that you are doing.

------------------

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I met Fie Ro and saw this car once about 3 years ago. I am really looking forward to seeing both again this year here at FE III.

------------------
Fiero1Fan

Fieros Europe

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

I met Fie Ro and saw this car once about 3 years ago. I am really looking forward to seeing both again this year here at FE III.

Take lots of pics when you do. I would love to see updated pics of the exterior and the interior.
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2009 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
Take lots of pics when you do. I would love to see updated pics of the exterior and the interior.

Hmm to bad these are down on the list Sooo many custom jobs everywhere, first goal is to get it back on the road and that alone needs a lot of work already...because I want to do it the right way..
I have a two-tone fueltank though
Spent some time and brakecleaner on the underside to clean it up..the rest was fine..then zinc primer, paint under and underbody coating on the top of the tank

needs more black

Scored some misc parts at the hardware store during my usual snooping around

Some fittings and reducers for the IC routing and a T to hook up the catchcan/filling...just soldered together before picture
Also found these clips which may be useful to route the battery cable

thegreep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thegreepSend a Private Message to thegreepEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

when I took off the front swaybar 2 bolts snapped and they caused a lot of trouble, I burned and snapped a few drillbits on those, then I drilled new holes next to them (the new swaybar mountholes are longer and allow relocation) and tapped them. I am using 10.9 grade bolts now (actually these are 2.8 exhaust manifold bolts I never used) . More stuff added

I just had the same thing happen to my sway bar bolts with a similar outcome. Only, I even broke an easyout in the hole. . .
FieroCustom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fie Ro,
Those clips for the cable look quite useful. What are those clips for? I haven't done my battery relocation yet, but those look almost perfect to keep my cable under control. Thanks for posting all the awesome detail in your build.
Sincerely,
John
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2009 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thegreep:
I just had the same thing happen to my sway bar bolts with a similar outcome. Only, I even broke an easyout in the hole. . .

..cool, I broke a drill bit that stuck in there, these jobs are sure a PITA !
One thing I finally learned after this is that spending some cash on some good HSS drill bits makes everything easier....!

Originally posted by FieroCustom:
Fie Ro,
Those clips for the cable look quite useful. What are those clips for? I haven't done my battery relocation yet, but those look almost perfect to keep my cable under control. Thanks for posting all the awesome detail in your build.
Sincerely,
John

Hi John, I am not sure what theyre for... I found these in the racks of my local hardware store, there are more sizes (most bigger), I think theyre clips for central heating tubing and domestic wiring...whatever..they looked usefull and happen to fit right..!

Ok more pictures
machined the radiator overflow tank cap to mount a ...eh..mini breather

On the left are the trunkside dogbonemounts

This is how I made them :
starting with 2 upper A-arm poly bushings, cut and machined heavy duty gas pipe

choice of bolts

a bit of V shape grinding and almost ready for the $50 arc welder abuse

halfway welding up and grinding down...and cutting slack

paint

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2009 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
brackets taking shape

I wonder what FreudFiero has to say to this

example of the setup, to finish it needs more work and an installed engine for the final setup, then welding and bolting up and paint..

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fie RO, are you still going to do the Porsche brakes, or are you going to do alternate, i.e.: WCF/Fieroaddiction/Corvette/etc. setups?

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nm
I was feeling naughty....

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 03-31-2009).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2009 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fie RO, are you still going to do the Porsche brakes, or are you going to do alternate, i.e.: WCF/Fieroaddiction/Corvette/etc. setups?

I am still going to use the porsche/brembo calipers.....still filtering out the rotor options...
I collected a lot of info and measurements about rotors over time, looking at bolt pattern, center hole, depth etc but there are also the variables depending the setup itself..:

The main issue is the calipers are pretty wide and I have low offset wheels so I will probably need spacers for clearance.
For the front there looks to be more room for "deeper" rotors, on the rear there is less room before hitting the knuckle...may go with vette rotors if no other solution. I will try to arrange an appointment with a rotor supplier to go through the final list of rotor options...or I will go with a custom 2 piece setup for the front..

Originally posted by revin:
nm
I was feeling naughty....

LOL, I did read your original post

Anyway, I had some ISP problems last weeks so I have some pictures/updates waiting :
This is the Walbro 255lph high pressure fuelpump kit

Everything bolts right up

I tested the fuelpump a few seconds to make sure it works

Fueltank ready to go back in...I call it The Sneaker

The usual struggle to hook up the hoses to the tank but its back in place..note the intercooler tubing is well away from the tank and doesnt interfere with the tank removal and install

Last drop of the IC tubes to solder the end fittings and finish, added a T for a reservoir/filling point in the enginebay

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2009 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What offset are your wheels?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What offset are your wheels?

I recall 37mm..
The brembo's are pretty wide on the outside...this is the smaller caliper

With a 10mm spacer both calipers clear fine...this is a mockup I did almost 2 years ago, with a subaru rotor. These are close to Fiero specs but have a 57mm centerhole (Fiero 56mm)...1mm too much so useless..

Back to the underbody...and getting closer to the enginebay

need to dust off here !

I dropped the cradle to add the engine

still needs a clutch etc but untill I have all these parts I can put it in and already fabricate the dogbones, coolant lines and wiring routing and lengths...

More done

PFF
System Bot
Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My god your work looks pretty.
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2009 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That motor looks awesome sitting on that cradle. *drool*
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NICE!!!!!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need updates!!!!
telefragg3d

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for telefragg3dSend a Private Message to telefragg3dEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
god i love this thread....can't wait to see how the brake job! take lots of pics! (duh)
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on some enginebay parts...
Got it figured out how to mount the dogbones/strutbar, I will bolt it directly to the driver side strut tower, setup done by welding a nut to the back of the 'endcap' and then welding the cap to the bar

Working on the side panels for the enginebay. I already made the basic shapes last summer but now is the time to make them fit, cut and mod

Passenger side base

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Last friday I had the front hubs done, removing the studs was a 5 minute job with help of an hydraulic press. Then I dropped them off to have them turned down , they got it done the same afternoon. That was a 45min 65 euro job according to the bill, which I think is reasonable

cleaned, prepped, a basecoat of zinc primer and painted with hi-temp paint

testfit

Time to drop the fueltank for paint and a Walbro fuelpump

I will replace most of the old tubing, especially the metal lines after the filter that have rusted inside and caused injector problems in the past

wow that sucks u should have asked me

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:
wow that sucks u should have asked me

Hey I will remember that ..I wasnt sure you still had that job..I may have a request sometime in the future

I found out my main parts supplier has an inhouse machine shop so I gave them a try on the hubs
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2009 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made a side pod for the engine fusebox and the 'sparkplugwirerouter'..
Decided to keep it easy, doing it 'yankee style'

Rough product, enough fiberglass to sand smooth. Setting up the layout for the cuts:

Cuts and holes done:

And after some sanding and primer (still needs a little detailing work)

I also got the engine in, this was the only thing that didnt fit but easy to remove..may have to make something custom again I guess :

The engine roughly in place, cradle not bolted down yet :

Check if the left dogbone mount will fit...looks ok

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock