Don Kraus's 427 LSX Update by Don Kraus
Started on: 06-08-2008 12:13 PM
Replies: 277 (39965 views)
Last post by: davylong86 on 02-11-2016 03:08 PM
Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2009 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little update, here's some pictures of the finished engine compartment and the interior.I've been going to some car shows and the car always seems to be the hit of the show.Most people didn't think you could put that big of an engine in a Fiero without cutting it up.

I'm planning on taking it to the dragstrip in Sept or Oct to see what kind of times it will turn.I'm thinking it might be faster than my old Too Far.The proof will be in the pudding.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2009 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Don Kraus:

A little update, here's some pictures of the finished engine compartment and the interior.I've been going to some car shows and the car always seems to be the hit of the show.Most people didn't think you could put that big of an engine in a Fiero without cutting it up.

That's sweet!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat and clean install. You'll be making more power than the 3800SC but low 11's high 10's is going to be hard to beat. You should be making more power but IMO getting it to the pavement will be the challenge.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-17-2009).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2009 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm looking at getting it on the track in Sept or Oct.I want to get a few thousand miles on it first.Besides I need to let Fiero X keep the fastest title a little longer or he might get dispondent and want to build something else other than a Fiero like the last time. Just kidding Ryan.

Don

Is she almost ready for the track yet Don? I keep checking in here for some new news, but it's been kinda quiet here for a while..

jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don do you have a video of the car to with the supertrapps ? Nice work.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't posted anything because there is nothing new.I've just been breaking it in and sorting out little glitches as I find them.I did just get my 10 inch M&H sticky drag tires and I should be getting my wheels this week or next.They were one off the glitches,the Wilwood brake calipers hang over the outside of rotor 1 3/8's and you can't get a wheel from any manufactorer that will clear it,I called them all.So I had to spend the money and order custom wheels like I have on the car.I'll be poorer but will look great going down the track.I should make it to the track the first part of Oct.
I don't have a video of the supertrapps,but I can tell you they sound and work great.The tone is throuty but not loud and don't restrict the exhaust.I'm glad I used them now and I'll do it again,people know there's somethig in there without the raspy sound.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Don,

You ready for one of those billet paddle shifters since you have that PCS controller on that transmission? That would look sweet in there with that custom dash...

http;//www.fastfieros.com/catalog.htm One paddle shifter in stock
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2009 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't posted anything because there is nothing new.I've just been breaking it in and sorting out little glitches as I find them.I did just get my 10 inch M&H sticky drag tires and I should be getting my wheels this week or next.They were one off the glitches,the Wilwood brake calipers hang over the outside of rotor 1 3/8's and you can't get a wheel from any manufactorer that will clear it,I called them all.So I had to spend the money and order custom wheels like I have on the car.I'll be poorer but will look great going down the track.I should make it to the track the first part of Oct.
I don't have a video of the supertrapps,but I can tell you they sound and work great.The tone is throuty but not loud and don't restrict the exhaust.I'm glad I used them now and I'll do it again,people know there's somethig in there without the raspy sound.

Don

What a coincidence....I was looking for wheels for my car

Your existing ones wouldn't happen to be going up for sale?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-07-2009).]

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2009 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Loyd,that paddle shifter looks pretty nice.How much is it?That could be a quick winter project.I'm hoping to get to the track on Sat the !7th if my wheels get back in time.I had to send them back because they didn't fit AGAIN,the 15 inch wheel don't go up high enough with a 6 1/2 inch backset, the rim hits the strut at the top bolt.

Adam,for your information,you can use a 10 1/2 inch rim with a 6 1/2 inch backset on a 17 inch rim or bigger.6 inches would be better but 6 1/2 will work but the tire will be close to the strut.The outside of the tire will just miss the fender as it goes up by about a little less than a half an inch.If you try anything else it won't work,believe me I've tryed it.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hope you can get the rims in time and everything keeps together and you have a good day at the track Don.. I can't wait to hear how she does..
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2009 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Mr. Ferrari. I hope you get this down the track before the season ends. I'm really curious to see what kinds of times this beast will run. It'll be interesting to see what kind of 60fts you will be able to cut.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.654 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

Hey Don,

You ready for one of those billet paddle shifters since you have that PCS controller on that transmission? That would look sweet in there with that custom dash...

http;//www.fastfieros.com/catalog.htm One paddle shifter in stock

Hey those are sharp!
Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2009 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm hoping to get to the track on Sat the 17th if my wheels get back in time.I had to send them back because they didn't fit AGAIN,the 15 inch wheel don't go up high enough with a 6 1/2 inch backset, the rim hits the strut at the top bolt.

Don

Any luck with the wheels Don?
Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Loyd,that paddle shifter looks pretty nice.How much is it?That could be a quick winter project.I'm hoping to get to the track on Sat the !7th if my wheels get back in time.I had to send them back because they didn't fit AGAIN,the 15 inch wheel don't go up high enough with a 6 1/2 inch backset, the rim hits the strut at the top bolt.

Adam,for your information,you can use a 10 1/2 inch rim with a 6 1/2 inch backset on a 17 inch rim or bigger.6 inches would be better but 6 1/2 will work but the tire will be close to the strut.The outside of the tire will just miss the fender as it goes up by about a little less than a half an inch.If you try anything else it won't work,believe me I've tryed it.

Don

I just want to be sure I am understanding what you are saying here. You are saying a 17" x 10.5" wheel w/ 6.5" of backspace works. Correct? What year is the car?

Thank you.

Edit: Is the tire below your spring perch?

[This message has been edited by Primaris (edited 11-25-2009).]

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Primaris:

I just want to be sure I am understanding what you are saying here. You are saying a 17" x 10.5" wheel w/ 6.5" of backspace works. Correct? What year is the car?

Thank you.

Edit: Is the tire below your spring perch?

I am using an 18" x 10.5" with a 6 1/8" backspace and that is about perfect.

------------------
87 GT Tilt Clip-Widebody-RamAir-Fastback-GlassHatch Powered by SBC 383 6-speed w/ NOS
Build Thread

Goals in Life:
1. Get Married..........Check!
2. Build Dream Car..........Check!
3. Get Wife to Come Back...

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Primaris,the car is an 88,but you have to understand you must have some modifications to make this work.You will need coil over struts and a wider body like my IMSA or Claytontos build.I think a 9 inch rim on a stock body with coil overs will work with a 17 inch wheel or bigger with a 6 to 6 1/2 setback.Stay 6 1/8 like Clay and you should be good.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don whats the word on you trans?have you found out what went wrong?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeh,I broke the 4340 input shaft and that broke the carrier and that tore up the front of the case and torque converter.So I need to build a new transaxle with heavier parts and go to a 245mm converter.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

GTCONVERSION

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTCONVERSIONSend a Private Message to GTCONVERSIONEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im sorry to hear that.I was hoping it was somthing simple like the converter that sucks it tore everything up.I hope the next one holds up better
ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeh,I broke the 4340 input shaft and that broke the carrier and that tore up the front of the case and torque converter.So I need to build a new transaxle with heavier parts and go to a 245mm converter.

Don

Ouch! You must be making some massive torque. Keep us posted in the new unit.
PFF
System Bot
Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTCONVERSION:

Im sorry to hear that.I was hoping it was somthing simple like the converter that sucks it tore everything up.I hope the next one holds up better

Yeah.. Sorry to hear it was more than the converter.. I was hoping you would have a cheap and easy fix Don..
------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr Ferrari (edited 12-01-2009).]

Daniel H

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel HSend a Private Message to Daniel HEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful work! Drooling over that LS7 engine!!! How much it costs there in US? Maybe when I will be rich, I get some other one for my project
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don,

You did such a great job on building the IMSA..Hands done it's one of my top 5 fieros that i would love to own. One day I'll have the money to do at lease the IMSA body on my 85GT.

I hope the new trans does better then the first one.

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1987 Fiero Coupe
1986 Fiero Base Coupe..Steel Wheels Baby!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being built now!
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ centerline "Q" Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any updates Don?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm waiting for the Meziere custom made flexplate that I should have in a couple of weeks.Anyone can then get it from Meziere for an LS engine mated to a 4T65E transaxle from a V8 front wheel drive Impala.Then I need to put together the transaxle with the one inch chain and 3:29 gears.
I will be selling the 7/8's chain and 3:69 gear set with a V8 input shaft I used in my other transaxle thats good for over 400 HP.The input shaft comes from the new transaxle that I will be using.I bought a 300m input shaft for mine.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm waiting for the Meziere custom made flexplate that I should have in a couple of weeks.Anyone can then get it from Meziere for an LS engine mated to a 4T65E transaxle from a V8 front wheel drive Impala.Then I need to put together the transaxle with the one inch chain and 3:29 gears.
I will be selling the 7/8's chain and 3:69 gear set with a V8 input shaft I used in my other transaxle thats good for over 400 HP.The input shaft comes from the new transaxle that I will be using.I bought a 300m input shaft for mine.

Don

Where you using the LS4 flex plate before?

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes,I was using the LS4 flexplate and it still looks good but with the carrier braking and the flexpate holding the converter alone with all the trama going on there I don't want to risk it.And this way I have a drag race approved flexplate for more safety.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

dn69141

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dn69141Send a Private Message to dn69141Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey great cars! I was thinking though just to do you a favor and since you can only drive 1 at a time, that I would be more than willing to drive which ever car you weren't currently driving.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don sold the red one and built the IMSA.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are not the first one to break that 4340 input shaft.
PFF
System Bot
Mr Ferrari

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr FerrariSend a Private Message to Mr FerrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any updates Don??
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got it back on the road again.Running 3:29 gears now and needed a little help from PCS and Dan was great as always in programing the transaxle.Its just in time for the summer shows.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don, did you get the 1" GMR chain?

[This message has been edited by ClayTonto (edited 05-05-2010).]

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes,I was using the LS4 flexplate and it still looks good but with the carrier braking and the flexpate holding the converter alone with all the trama going on there I don't want to risk it.And this way I have a drag race approved flexplate for more safety.

Don

Hey Don,

Why did your original setup fail?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have the 1" chain in it now,I had the 7/8's before and I also have the 300m input shaft.
The alainment of the transaxle and engine was off 40 thousands,so that broke the input shaft and then it tore up the converter and transaxle shaft.
Thats the only thing I didn't check because when the transaxles you don't have a good way to measure it.I had to learn the hard way.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The alainment of the transaxle and engine was off 40 thousands,so that broke the input shaft and then it tore up the converter and transaxle shaft.

Don

So was it an issue with the adapter plate, or just something odd with the LSx block or tranny?
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The alainment of the transaxle and engine was off 40 thousands,.

Don

Ouch!!!! , That's a lot.

Archie
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru,I think I was the victom of all three.Castings and hole borings are always a little different from one to another and then throw an adapter plate in there and if they all are a little off the same way you can get this.Thats why Lakewood makes offset guide pins to correct that.I'm within one thousands now just using their offset guide pins.I would warn anybody doing a swap like this that has a lot of horsepower and runs higher RPM's to be sure to take the time and check it.I didn't and it cost me.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad to hear it's back on the road. I'll be looking forward to some new 1/4 mile times!

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
gmtuners.com -Build info

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave