Started on: 06-08-2008 12:13 PM
Replies: 277 (39954 views)
Last post by: davylong86 on 02-11-2016 03:08 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Updates?

IP: Logged
Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally an update,it's been a busy Summer that cut into my time on the project, and bodywork isn't something I've done a lot of.Being I'm pretty fussy on everything I do its taking a lot more time than I planned,but its going for paint this week.Here is a couple of pictures of the car ready for paint and a couple on how I'm doing the exhaust.I'm leaning on using the Supertrap mufflers because of room restraints,but I'll know once I get the engine in again when it comes back from paint.

Let me know what you think, Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like your engine/trans/exhaust set-up. Question(s); Who did your wire harness for the LS7, who's adapter plate are you using and did you beef-up the tranny?

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that's insane. V8 Archie just did an LS7 big block swap (ref Perfect Union) but I'm not sure how it runs. From what I can tell this swap requires extensive cradle and engine compartment modifications. Now we can all wonder, will this swap prove to be faster than Ryan (FieroX) that recently ran a 10.9 sec. 1/4 mile.
In theory the LS7 is capable of making far more horsepower but it is heavier and traction problems will need to be addressed to beat Ryans record..

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Madcurl,the wiring is a stand alone Mast Motorsports system tied to a PCS transmisson controller.To run the engine all I have to do is get 12 volts to it,getting the trans controller tied into it is a little more involved.ZZP did the transaxle thats from an 07 Impala SS and the adapter for the engine is from Fast Fiero.The engine is not an LS7, but an all aluminum L92 stroked 1/2 inch to get it to 427 cubes and has CNC'd ported heads that flow like crazy.I'm also using the LS4 modified water manifold and oil pan with a LS1 timing gear cover.I am using the LS7 exhaust manifolds because of how good they flow and how I could make them fit.Just with the base program in the Mast computer it dynoed at 621 HP.Once its in the car and broke in I'll take it to the dyno and have it programed for max HP.I'm using the same coil over system in the rear that I had on my Aldino so I know how to make that hook up.If I have it figured out right the initial hole shot will have just a little more torque than my 3800 at that rpm, but then comes on like gangbusters when I compare the dyno sheets.This engine and trans setup is actually lighter than my all cast iron 3800.This car should be at least 200 lbs lighter than my Aldino at 3100 lbs.
Hope this sheds some more light on the project.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don, that's really impressive. You do nice work.

I have a very simple question (actually two), but I'm curious as it may apply to any transverse mounted engine with two banks of cylinders.

How critical is it to have both banks of cylinders flowing through equal length dual-exhaust systems? Is it worthwhile adding and snaking a couple extra feet of exhaust pipe from the rear bank to make it equal the front?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick,I worked on adding a couple extra feet of exhaust pipe but then decided it wasn't worth the extra heat it would put in the engine compartment.I'm sure equal length would add a few horsepower(less than 10)so I did X them to balance the flow somewhat.You just don't have a lot of options with the limited room available in the Fiero.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good--By far going to be one of the faster V-8 swaps out there. FieroX is going to have a run on his hands once the car is tuned and ready.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Don Kraus:

You just don't have a lot of options with the limited room available in the Fiero.

Yeah, I wondered if that was the actual reason for you not doing it. Thanks Don.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap!
That's amazing. I've always liked the IMSA notchie body style, too.
It's gonna be a beast.
I'm looking forward to seeing more.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....I'm leaning on using the Supertrap mufflers because of room restraints,....

Let me know what you think, Don

That thing is just awesome. But please don't screw it up with Supertraps. Not only do they look ugly and unconvetional with a covered hole but I haven't heard any car that sounds right with them. Better cut/bend a little more in the rear and put some real tips. Will sound 100 times better with that engine
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:
FieroX is going to have a run on his hands once the car is tuned and ready.

Oh yeah, Im looking forward to it. hahahahah

Don what are you doing for Axles? I havent broken one since my supercharged days until last night, about 40' down the track. Actually broke the tripot in half. I guess I will just keep running stockers as fusible links.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job Don (as usual). I really like the body and the engine is even more impressive than I had thought it would be!

I'm really looking forward to seeing it complete.

------------------
Paul

For a full history of my IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway bars for ALL MODELS: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Don! any new pic's?
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,no new pictures until I get it back from the painter.

Ryan,I'm using the 2007 Impala axles and cv joints.According to CV pro's,the G6 also uses the same setup and of course the Grd. Prix.They have 8 balls in the outside cv joint verses 6 and the inner has much bigger rollers and heavier trypod.The problem is the axles are different and there arn't many options on lenghts.The right axle on mine will fit on the left,but I'm having an axle made for the right because GM doesn't make one short enough to make it work in mine.I need 12 inches on the right and 14 3/8's on the left.The axle lenghts stock are 14 1/16th on the right and 16 7/8's on the left.The splines are different on the axles than the 3800.I hope these will hold up,but until I run it I really won't know.
Buy the way,nice run last week,I knew that old girl had more in it.

Don
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your going to be hard pressed to get the splines cut into that axle with any success... a grand prix guy running 8's tried to run a custom axle and blew it apart his very first try.

He now runs "fiero" style OEM axles with a relocated snap ring further down the spline area. If you could find a 13inch axle, then I dont think you would have any issues running it, as you could pick up more than an inch on the tripot snap rings.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
600HP in a Fiero!!!

and

I can't wait to see this how this one turns out.
fieroX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Buy the way,nice run last week,I knew that old girl had more in it.

Thanks Don, cant wait to see how yours does. Any chance you will have it out this season? Next season you might have a hard time keeping up
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don you have a PM . So is this sucker painted yet or what?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been following this post with great interest and find this to be a fascinating project. If you are aiming for the 9 second bracket, then its my opinion that you will have trouble getting an OEM GM CV axle to hold up. However, there are cars running 900- 1000 HP though the 4T65eHD and they use some type of axle that apparently can take the power. Zoomer at ZZ Performance runs a very fast 3800 Turbo and he would probably be a good info source on what type of axles to run as he is running 9's.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I have been following this post with great interest and find this to be a fascinating project. If you are aiming for the 9 second bracket, then its my opinion that you will have trouble getting an OEM GM CV axle to hold up. However, there are cars running 900- 1000 HP though the 4T65eHD and they use some type of axle that apparently can take the power. Zoomer at ZZ Performance runs a very fast 3800 Turbo and he would probably be a good info source on what type of axles to run as he is running 9's.

They are using porsche 930 cv joints with a special flanged adapter that plugs into the transaxle.

http://tunersource.gmblogs....acemodtrans.pdf/view

You can download the pdf file and basically look at the build book. You can ,from there, order the parts from GM racing after you contact them . I had a price list from them for some of the hard parts but seemed to have mis-placed it.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I am the "source" that suggested the axles that have put matt M in the 8's a few dozen times. They are like I said in many threads, a very very slightly modified 94 baretta axle. The snap ring mod can be done with a dremel in a few mins.....
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also the bigger ones are heavier and adds to unsprung weight,every pound of unsprung weight equals 7 pounds of real weight.So if I save two pounds per wheel that equals 14 lbs,times 4 equals 56lbs of real weight...

Not to be an ass, but you're thinking of rotational weight. Unsprung weight, or mass, is still equal in mass to its "sprung" counterpart. The difference is that the more unsprung mass that is present in a suspension system, the less said suspension will react to changes in the road surface. This, in turn, will transfer more vibration to the chassis, and ultimately decrease performance.

[This message has been edited by 1986 Fiero GT (edited 09-23-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We're in need of Pontiac excitement.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

600HP in a Fiero!!!

and

I can't wait to see this how this one turns out.

agreed!!!!

edit for dibs on the first ride!!!!

[This message has been edited by BabyVet (edited 10-12-2008).]

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the no news ,but my car is still at the paint shop.Same old story,they just got behind.Hopefully it will be done by the end of this week.
Good news is my wheels should also be here by the end of the week,wait till you see them.The back are 17X10 1/2 and the front are 16X8.
As soon as I get the car back I'll post some info on it,I can't wait to put the engine in for good when I get it back.I'm going to take the wire harness off and put it back on when the engine is in the car now.That way I can get both the engine and transmisson computers in the drivers compartment under the center console.That will keep my engine compartment cleaner and the computers in a cleaner place and be able to hook up the computer to both in the car as its running.

Stay tuned.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,just got my car back from paint,here's a little tidbit.Want more???
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys,just got my car back from paint,here's a little tidbit.Want more???
Don

Aww you suck, you know we want more! Lots more!
Ok you dont suck just post some more pictures
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hmm not exact but looks similar. Need moar pictures. And details on the wheels

[This message has been edited by Silentassassin185 (edited 10-28-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right,it does look familiar.But I wanted it to be my car, not a duplicate.I'm using the same colors,except the white paint is a white pearl instead of just white and the GM Goodwrench scheme is different and the car is a notchback.
Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More pics please Don?
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
c'mon Don don't hold back...pics! pics! pics!
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay,one more,I've still got a lot of work to do putting everything back on the car,ie:mirrors,door handles spoiler,tail lights,put the engine in.I've got a long to do list.I'll post pictures as I go along.

Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.491 sec
1/4 mi - 11.323 sec
mph - 116.40

[This message has been edited by Don Kraus (edited 10-28-2008).]

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, Don. I thought of doing something similar a few years ago and doing an Indy clone in pearl white with metallic red stripes and hand done letters with the current year. Never got it done though. Glad to see that some people can follow through.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice--Going to be a head turner from the street to the strip.
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a little more work done on it today,put on the spoiler,mirror,door handles,door panels.Also installed an electric shutoff and sail panel inserts.Here's how the back looks.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the badging....LSX427. Sweat!
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had this stupid look on my face since I read the whole Skitime thread. And this car is a whole different animal. Absolutely incredible...BRAVO!!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock