Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Official VR6 Engine Swap (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official VR6 Engine Swap by bmwguru
Started on: 12-16-2007 01:38 PM
Replies: 727 (108936 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-02-2015 04:21 AM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy shiznit! Look at that thing. Just incredible. Way to go you two.

And a little page ownage! Sweet!

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 06-23-2009).]

IP: Logged
anonymity

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Holy shiznit! Look at that thing. Just incredible. Way to go you two.

And a little page ownage! Sweet!

Thank you!!!

I am so glad to have my car back...

Now, Dave has to change the oil and finish the interior and then...

I get to travel in it...

Can't wait... only problem I have is......

Where do I go first?

Joey
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy cow! Somebody grab the fire extinguisher, it's another Fiero fire!!!

Only two more words...

Hell. Yes.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 06-23-2009).]

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MFF Summer Drive-In 2009 [Saturday June 27th ~ Minneapolis]

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/076456.html

[This message has been edited by GTGeff (edited 06-23-2009).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump the pics to page 16 (see page 15 for more pics)

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin GOOD!!! Absolutely worth the wait.

It's just like the owner...................one of a kind!

I think I need a ride in that.......................

HAGO!

[This message has been edited by Sage (edited 07-03-2009).]

Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since this car will be driven, you're wrapping it in a 3M clear bra, right?
(keep in mind, paint stays soft for 1 month after painting, attracts rock chips easier than later.)
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
The car looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anonymity,

Holy Carp! How tall are you? I can see at least a foot b/t the back of your seat and the firewall.. I don't think my seat's ever been anything bu all the way back against the wall, but then again, I'm 6'3" and 220lbs.. heh..
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh baby that is intense, bravo!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a fan of murals on cars for the most part but yours looks good!

Things that burn blue:
copper compounds + chlorine producer
copper acetoarsenite (Paris Green), Cu3As2O3Cu(C2H3O2)2 = blue
copper (I) chloride, CuCl = turquoise blue

Is the rest of the car just black?
PFF
System Bot
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a little over 5'2". Dave is 6'1" and doesn't have the seat all the way back.
The rest of the car is jet black.
Joey

------------------
1986 SE powered by a Volkswagen VR6

www.hausofguru.com

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paint came out nice. I like my murals to have a few more curves but it looks good for a chicks car
No really it looks great I bet you get a lot more attention.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rumor has it that the VR6 Fiero was driving through Pennsyl-tucky last evening. Since getting the car back, I haven't seen much of it or Joey
She is going to Delaware today for a drive to calculate the gas mileage. We are estimating around 28-30mpg. The car is very loud. I will be upgrading the exhaust, so that we won't get pulled over for it anymore. Still using a Magnaflow, but a little quieter this time.
Dave
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's cool.

Joe
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet. Cars are built to be driven, yes!

One question; Why weren't the flames extended down onto the lower sideskirts? It looks a bit uneven down there to me (but then, I do have OCD).

I really can't think of more appropriate looking wheels for that car, absolutely perfect in my eyes. What size tires did you go with, BTW?

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 06-27-2009).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Sweet. Cars are built to be driven, yes!

One question; Why weren't the flames extended down onto the lower sideskirts? It looks a bit uneven down there to me (but then, I do have OCD).

I really can't think of more appropriate looking wheels for that car, absolutely perfect in my eyes. What size tires did you go with, BTW?

The car will be going back to the body shop for a few touch ups. The lower side skirts were already painted and cleared before the airbrushing was done. If I had known, I would have told them to sand the clear and airbrush it. The front markers are painted black, instead of the blue, so that will be getting redone. They also didn't assemble the door locks properly, so I will be redoing that part myself.
Other than that, the car is perfect. No orange peel or any imperfections in the black.
The tire size is exactly the same as yours...205/50ZR17 in the front and 235/45ZR17 in the rear.
Dave

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:
...so that we won't get pulled over for it anymore...
Dave

Getting a little attention of the wrong kind?
anonymity

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Getting a little attention of the wrong kind?

Not yet... But cops are eyeing it up... I just don't wanna deal with it...

So, I drive it easy, for the most part... Ok, we'll just say I keep the needle on the numbers... I just won't say which numbers...

Joey

------------------
1986 SE powered by a Volkswagen VR6

www.hausofguru.com

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm the one who got pulled over for loud exhaust.
After the trip, we calculated gas mileage to be 30.9mpg and that is while having fun with the go pedal
Dave
nibotolu

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nibotoluSend a Private Message to nibotoluEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what size and brand are those rims??
i really like them
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nibotolu:

what size and brand are those rims??
i really like them

They are factory Volkswagen rims. 17x7
Dave
Dash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
guru that was some sick work with the motor swap man
one
TINY
thing though

that paint job...
no offense man, but i almost barfed...

back on thread though
SICK ASS WORK MAN!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dash:

guru that was some sick work with the motor swap man
one
TINY
thing though

that paint job...
no offense man, but i almost barfed...

back on thread though
SICK ASS WORK MAN!

No offense taken. I believe Joey had added the Pegasus's to the hood to ensure that it would forever be a "chick's car" and then she would be the only one to drive it.
On Sunday, I replaced the entire exhaust to a quieter, smoother, more exotic sounding exhaust. The VR6 has one sexy exhaust note if the exhaust is tuned for the car.
Dave
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No offense taken. I believe Joey had added the Pegasus's to the hood to ensure that it would forever be a "chick's car" and then she would be the only one to drive it.

Dave

Versus you driving the gay one!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Versus you driving the gay one!

LOL. I originally was going to name her car the "Flaming gay Fiero", but I figured I'd be nice. Joey is more like one of the guys than a typical chick. Personally, I do like the paint job. It is a one of a kind. We've had mixed opinions about the artwork, but Joey's opinion is all that matters in my book.
Dave
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL. I originally was going to name her car the "Flaming gay Fiero", but I figured I'd be nice. Joey is more like one of the guys than a typical chick. Personally, I do like the paint job. It is a one of a kind. We've had mixed opinions about the artwork, but Joey's opinion is all that matters in my book.
Dave

Wait she may not like that lets try again

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 06-30-2009).]

sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's just funny.
TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2009 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw Joey out and about last Friday night at the Lukoil on Rt 9 and Sunnyside Dr. I don't think she recognized me as I've shaved my goatee and lost 50 lbs. Anywho, the car looks great guys, and sounds even better. Great job.

Tommy

[This message has been edited by TommyT913 (edited 07-01-2009).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2009 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyT913:

I saw Joey out and about last Friday night at the Lukoil on Rt 9 and Sunnyside Dr. I don't think she recognized me as I've shaved my goatee and lost 50 lbs. Anywho, the car looks great guys, and sounds even better. Great job.

Tommy

That may have been me, but I'm not certain. Since then, I have completely rodone the exhaust system from the manifolds back. It was too loud and obnoxious. Now it is smooth and exotic sounding. Tommy, you should come by the shop. My L67 has been done for some time and I've logged many thousand trouble-free miles on it.

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

That is very funny!

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 07-01-2009).]

TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was definitely Joey. Maybe I'll come by the shop today. I have to run down to Shore Motorsports in Toms River to pick up some clamps. You're on the way back. Maybe I'll come in my german car.... It's a german Ford but german none the less. I'm eager to get a ride in a 3800 S/C Fiero.

See you later.

Tommy
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(sniff, sob) 's beautiful, you guys! Absolutely stellar work...and Joey, I REALLY like the artwork design. The car looks radical without being cheesy. Way to go, both of you.
sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2009 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The VR6 brought Joey for a visit today, and please let me tell you - you WANT a VR6 fiero. My initial impressions were that the car was quiet and refined. The swap is certainly cleanly done, but we knew that.

What I hope you get to hear one day is the exhaust note of this car under acceleration. At one point I actually just closed my eyes and listened to it. This, in my opinion, is EXACTLY what this car should sound like.

Nice job Dave & Joey!

Some pics (sorry Joey - I know it's got some road dust on it!) :

sabooo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2009 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for saboooSend a Private Message to saboooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sabooo

859 posts
Member since Aug 2006
Grabbed a few quick vids too.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sabooo, thanks for the pics & vids!

That engine sounds awesome. Even better than before! Very throaty, and sports car like!!

BMWguru, could you take more pics of the car (if Joey lets it stand still long enough)?
Could you also take pictures of the engine with the plastic cover removed? The engine looks too great to cover it with plastic. (or you could have the shop airbrush it really cool)
Also, take pics of the new exhaust.

(artsy shots courtesy of www.motivemag.com)
Vr6-12v engine without cover:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Vr6-12v engine with cover:
Painted:

Unpainted:

The Vr-6 24v looks even better (without cover), but that's a different animal altogether.

(with custom plate)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The interesting thing about the VR 6 is that it is uses a unique cylinder spacing. The cylinders are angled ( spaced) only 10.5 to 15* apart. American engines are 60* and 90* but this one is 1/4 of the closest V6 engine cylinder spacing manufactured stateside. The other remarkable thing about this "V6" is that it uses only one cylinder head like a straight six. As such it has a straight six firing order.
All in all this is a very unusual swap that is bound to generate much controvery at every show that it appears at. It looks like it really goes well and it has looks to match. I'd like to know what its capable of in the 1/4 mile as that would be very interesting to see.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
also im pretty sure there an aluminum block,,,, 3.8 iron... the vr6 is a super light motor compared to how much power there capable of putting out.
ever think of doing a 1.8 t swap?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are a aluminum head and iron block. It is a pretty light engine. I would definitely concider swapping a 1.8t in the future, if a customer of the Haus desires.
On page one of this thread I have a pic of the VR6 with the head off to show the cylinder spacing. The engine's setup it what gives it the unique sound.
Dave
TrackMagicWS6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackMagicWS6Send a Private Message to TrackMagicWS6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell me what you think about the Mercedes OM642 engine. Would it be possible to bolt up to a VW tdi Trans?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TrackMagicWS6:

Tell me what you think about the Mercedes OM642 engine. Would it be possible to bolt up to a VW tdi Trans?

If the engine fits the Fiero engine compartment space; I'm sure that Dave can swap it in but knowing the amount of work that went into his car (oops her car) , you'd need a big bankroll to achieve that objective. This VR6 swap probably has 100's of hours of labor in it. IMO its not a practical swap but a custom one off creation that's a labor of love for someone who wanted something very different. Dave and Joeys VR6 Fiero is certainly a technological achievement and I doubt that we will ever see another one built like it. Now that this beautiful Fiero is finished, its time to show it off folks.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock