Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  The Official VR6 Engine Swap (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Official VR6 Engine Swap by bmwguru
Started on: 12-16-2007 01:38 PM
Replies: 727 (108929 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-02-2015 04:21 AM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I wonder why your camera is "clipping" so much. Are both these cars really loud?

Maybe a cheapie Radio Shack external Mic might alleviate some of these problems. (a faster solution than trying to edit videos)
While you're there you could pick up a Db level meter and measure how loud these cars are inside, exhaust, driveby, etc. (those meters are pretty cheap. I had an electronic one a few years back when I installed my Borla on my Mazda)
IP: Logged
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cars both have race exhaust and are very loud. My V8 has Dynomax race bullets with no cats and the VR6 has about three feet of pipe with Magnaflow mufflers. I tried to convince Joey that the VR6 needs more backpressure, but she really loves the rumble-pop on deacceleration. The VR6 sounds similar to a Harley with race pipes.
For an experiment, I'll take a video in my gold GT with stock engine to see if it still pops.
As for the latest updates....
I did a thorough checkover of the VR6 yesterday and no issues at all. The only parts that don't function on the car is the speedometer and revese lights. I am still trying to figure out how to make the signal go to the gauge and the ECM and read accurately for both. It really is no big deal, but I need a good solid three hours to do what I need to do to fix it. In the meantime, we have been using the GPS for a speedo.
The other weird thing that I can't figure out is why the electric trunk popper only works when the parking brake is on. Even with the engine off. Before the swap, it would work with the engine off and brake off. Any ideas as to what happened? Also, I am trying to find the signal wire in the C500 for the reverse lights. the one wire that goes to the switch on the transmission and the one to the lights.
Any input would be really appreciated.
Dave
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
E1 goes to the lights, and C1 is 12v fused from the fuse panel.
Sixstrings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SixstringsSend a Private Message to SixstringsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have driven the VR6 and ridden in the V8. IMO the VR6 is a little better. Both are friggin amazing, don't get me wrong. Maybe it is my history with German cars, but that VR6 is something really special.

[This message has been edited by Sixstrings (edited 10-29-2008).]

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Youre "trunk popper" is currently functioing as designed, don't want to wave bye-bye to your car as you're about to set the groceries in.

Norm
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all of my other Fieros (current and past. all manual transmission) would pop the trunk with the engine on and parking brake on and with the engine off with the parking brake on or off. Since swapping the engine, it only works with the parking brake on. I can't find much info on the trunk release. This is driving me crazy because it worked prior to the swap.
Dave
85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if it helps you or not, but on my 5 speed car, if the key is off, the popper will work anytime, park brake or no park brake. If the key is on, the park brake has to be on.

And I mean key on, engine off or running, doesn't matter, just key on.

------------------
Adam
1984 Sport Coupe Auto., 130,~~~ miles, bad duke
1985 Sport Coupe 5 Speed, 55,000 original miles
1987 GT Auto., 154,000 miles, partial daily driver
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 5" lift, 35" tires, partial daily driver
1989 Yamaha V Max (oh yeah, it's fun!)
1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 25,000 original miles
1963 Buick Electra 225
1936 Dodge Two-door Touring Sedan

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my '86 SE MT 4spd the trunk popper only works when the engine is off. Makes sense to me, it's a nice security feature preventing people from accidentally opening the decklid while I'm blasting down the freeway. (It works regardless of the e-brake being engaged, or not)
It is a minor inconvenience though.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by 85pontiac:

Don't know if it helps you or not, but on my 5 speed car, if the key is off, the popper will work anytime, park brake or no park brake. If the key is on, the park brake has to be on.

And I mean key on, engine off or running, doesn't matter, just key on.

Now I'm curious. I need to try pulling the e-brake with the engine running, and see if the trunk-popper works.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by bmwguru:
[...] but she really loves the rumble-pop on deacceleration. The VR6 sounds similar to a Harley with race pipes.[...]
Dave

Kind of like the rumble and popping on a MINI Cooper S? Cause that would awesome.
I still can't believe MINI removed that feature from the later model years. - Stupid customers thought it was a defect. Didn't read the manual that MINI designed it that way on purpose in the spirit of the original John Cooper rally cars.

The good news is that the '08 MCS Works edition has the popping again. Unfortunately the regular Turbo S doesn't

The Dodge SRT-4 (Neon)'s have that as well. They burble and pop. Only factory car without mufflers, just a cat. (at least that's how it was advertised)
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the trunk popper only works when the ebrake is applied whether the engine is running or not. I think I'll take a close look at the wiring this weekend and see if I forgot to hook something up.
As for the MINI's, we see a bunch of them come in the shop. We added a JCW exhaust and 17% s/c pulley to Scrubby's car (I think he has the only automatic S). Have you driven the R56 twin scroll turbo S yet. It builds boost right off idle.
I should be either going to Bear Mountain for a day break on Saturday or going down to the shop to work on the VR6....if I don't spend the day in the ER. I was using the air chisel last night and it jammed and trapped my thumb under it and chiseled my thumb. Shawn wound up having to hammer the air chiesl and my thumb out of the car. If the swelling and pain don't go down, it may be time for some x-rays.
Dave
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea.. Go to the ER!

Don't want to loose your thumb.
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OUCH!!! Kinda makes it hard to fight for the keys, doesn't it? .. .. .. :^)

Norm
anonymity

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anonymityClick Here to visit anonymity's HomePageSend a Private Message to anonymityEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:

OUCH!!! Kinda makes it hard to fight for the keys, doesn't it? .. .. .. :^)

Norm

didn't stop him from sneaking out with the VR6 this afternoon.
Joey
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the trunk popper only works when the ebrake is applied whether the engine is running or not. I think I'll take a close look at the wiring this weekend and see if I forgot to hook something up.
....if I don't spend the day in the ER. I was using the air chisel last night and it jammed and trapped my thumb under it and chiseled my thumb. Shawn wound up having to hammer the air chiesl and my thumb out of the car. If the swelling and pain don't go down, it may be time for some x-rays.
Dave

Is your blue dingy thingy plugged in?
that is the only other source for ground for the relay other than the parking brake switch.

Hope the finger is ok.

Back to lurkin....
Oh, Nice job on the build. done the way it should be, carefully with attention to detail and the target results...
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

Is your blue dingy thingy plugged in?
that is the only other source for ground for the relay other than the parking brake switch.

Hope the finger is ok.

Back to lurkin....
Oh, Nice job on the build. done the way it should be, carefully with attention to detail and the target results...

I'll check it out this week. I'm pretty sure that the blue dingy thingy is removed from the car due to it's annoying properties. I never made it to Bear Mountain or the ER yesterday because my gold GT's fuel pump wouldn't shut off. I traced it back to the oil pressure switch. So, instead I went out driving the orange and black GT and then joey's VR6 and stopped at Applebees for some Killians. I think it was better that way.
Dave
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll post up a new video soon with the tach in the picture. It is pretty cool to watch it spin up to almost 8,000 rpms...and the sound is just plain sexy.
Dave

I didn't know Vr-6's rev that high. Is that stock specs, or is it because of modifications?

What is the redline anyways?
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to get too far afield...but I have a question. My MkII Jetta originally came with a 4 cylinder; I got the tach working by running the output signal from the first and third coilpack on my VR6, so the tach sees four impulses from the motor for each rpm. It reads accurately up to about 5 grand, and as it passes thru 5,000 rpm, the tach drops down to about 2,000 rpm indicated until the revs come back down. (93 Passat motor, if that makes any difference)
Any ideas on how to correct/compensate?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vonov,
I would get a VR6 tach or an aftermarket tach. The VDO one I use will work on just about any engine.
The redline is 7200...(or 7500if I remember correctly)....and it pulls the whole way there. It is about 200-300 higher than stock with the programming.
Joey and I got to take out the V8 and VR6 together over the weekend. The V8 is definitely faster and pulls harder, but the VR6 is still more fun IMO to drive because of the powerband. We were turning a lot of heads when we went out...probably because the cars are so loud.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 11-03-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2008 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started building a bigger brake kit for this car. I found a good balance using Audi TT 12.5" brake discs, VW Jetta calipers and my own adapters. No drilling of the bolt pattern is necesary. The Audi is a 5x100 just like the Fiero.
Other than that, I got the speedo working properly and just ordered a new set of lowering springs, so I will be selling the WCF front springs and the rear springs that are coming in the set I bought....so check the mall later this week.
I'm hoping to get "The Shawn" suede headliner and visors made later this month before it goes off to paint.
I'll post up some pics of the brake kit later this week when I find five minutes.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2008 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a teaser pic of what I am working on for the VR6. I still need to aquire a hubcentric ring and make the caliper bracket, but it all looks do-able and pretty easy to accomplish. The rotor was not redrilled. That is the stock pattern for the Audi.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 11-10-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave you just can't stop tinkering. When does the R32 start? You should do it while the VR6 is in paint.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next swap we are doing at the shop will make this look like a walk in the park. The VR6 was a good way to cut my teeth on German swaps. The R32 will be done when I find a great deal on a crashed R32.
I'm selling a bunch of stuff from my shop to raise some extra cash for my next crazy swap. I'm $3000 shy at this point, so expect to see a lot of stuff of mine show up on fleabay, craigslist and the mall here. (I'm not selling any of my Fieros, though). Only a small handful of people know what the next swap is.
Anyway, back to this VR6.....
Joey and I are shopping for rims and I found exactly what I want on the car, but I am not about to lay out the cash for a set of custom HREs. Not with all the potholes here in Jersey. Joey wants a 18x8 and 18x9 with a seven spoke type of pattern. She insists on a big brake kit. I think the car needs bigger tires first, but the brakes are a close second.
I just got the new lowering springs and I'll be selling the WCF springs within the next two weeks.
Dave
ps...I still have no feeling in my thumb. Probably nerve damage?

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 11-14-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry if this was already asked, but are you thinking about making a few kits to swap these engines in? Could help raise that $3000 you need
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I could do a kit. The shifter was a real nightmare of a fabrication that took hours to get working even after the parts were installed. The mounts were pretty easy to do, but I don't want to run into the negativity that has been casted towards Archie, FieroX, PR etc. I'm happy just repairing German cars for a living and making cool Fieros for a hobby.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2008 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 GT trunk popper will only work with the switch off, brake or no brake. Don't know if it's supposed to be that way, but it is.
Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did these scoops go in well? They look great. I'm thinking of getting some when I'm ready to paint.

-Michael

------------------
"A guy know's he's in love when he loses interest in his car for a few days." -Tim Allen

He who dies with the most toys... still dies.

Check out my restoration!

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had no issues putting on the scoops. The body shop will be taking them off to paint the car anyway, but I wanted to make the CAI functional for now.
Dave
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had no issues putting on the scoops. The body shop will be taking them off to paint the car anyway, but I wanted to make the CAI functional for now.
Dave

99.9% of the air coming into that area comes in from underneath.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you figure out why your camera is clipping yet?

I'm still thinking it's a camera mic thing. Here's the in-famous Twin Vr-6 VW Lupo swap (which is obviously waay louder than your cars. No soundproofing 2x the engine, fairly aggressive exhaust system, etc.)
http://s104.photobucket.com...rent=14112008068.flv

btw.: the 24v Vr-6 is still
That engine is a total beauty (visually at least)
Would that fit in a Fiero? How much is it different from your swap? (would it bolt in instead of the 12v?)
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The air filter has the scoop and underside fully open so it is getting colder air over a stock air box.
The camera clipping is most likely because it is a cheap camera. I spent all my money on the Fiero swap.
The 24v is the same size as the 12v, so I imagine it would bolt right in.
I found a couple of cool backwoods deserted roads that I can open it up on. I also know of a private airport that will let me play at certain times. I might have to wait for spring because it is going into the body shop in a week or two. Then when it comes back I'll be giving it a rim job and bigger brakes.
Dave
ps...I got pulled over last week for the tint and loud exhaust and the cop was a motor head and we talked about the swap for 15 minutes and I got off with no ticket for the tint, illegal license late cover and loud exhaust.
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The camera clipping is most likely because it is a cheap camera. I spent all my money on the Fiero swap.
The 24v is the same size as the 12v, so I imagine it would bolt right in.

Nothing wrong with that.
Cameras just take video. Without great engine swaps, there is nothing worthwhile to take videos of anyways.
So there wouldn't be any need for a great camera.

When you say "bold right in" do you mean, it physically fits, but you have to do different tranny mounts, engine mounts, different tranny, different hookups for various lines and electrical? Or is it "bolt right in" like swapping Honda engines between different Honda cars?
Fierology

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

99.9% of the air coming into that area comes in from underneath.

I would assume that ducting those quarters direct to the throttle body would create a positive ram-air effect. Correct?

(I know that's not what you did; I'm thinking ahead.)

-Michael

[This message has been edited by Fierology (edited 11-16-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2008 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

When you say "bold right in" do you mean, it physically fits, but you have to do different tranny mounts, engine mounts, different tranny, different hookups for various lines and electrical? Or is it "bolt right in" like swapping Honda engines between different Honda cars?

I imagine that it would bolt right in into my current mounts...The engines are almost identical in external size. I would probably run the six speed manual from a '04 Jetta. When I do the swap, I'd probably start from scratch again and see if I can make it better, but the mounts seem great. There is massive abuse going through he drivetrain now and nothing has shifted and I am not running a dog bone. Each mount has its own counter angle built into it for a little extra protection.
Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2008 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to post up that evn with Joey's "spirited" driving ie spinning the tires at every light...the swap is still holding together with no issues (except needing rear tires) and it is averaging 21mpg with a mixture of city/hwy/spinning tires driving. I'm taking a break from any more mods until it heads out to the body shop for paint. I'll post progress pics then.
Also, since my shop has become a GIAC dealer, I will be revamping the tune on the car a little bit more. The current tune is a 8 of 10 in my opinion. I want an 11.
After listening to Joey talk about the car, I think it will only be a matter of time before she insists on a turbo.
Dave
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I'm just now seeing this swap here. It's not all that different from the Nissan CA18DET swap I'm doing in my other '84. (Nissan 1.8L, 16 valve, DOHC, turbo)

I absolutely love the exhaust note. Would really like to hear a couple of drive-by recordings. Where did you do your conversion from VW to Pontiac? If you used the VW axles, I'm assuming you did your conversion at the struts and lower control arms?

I'd love to see a pic of your shift linkage in the back as well. I had to fabricate an entire manual shift linkage from scratch that adapted the Fiero cables to take the place of the Nissan shift rods. I haven't posted pictures of the shift linkage yet as I'm not real thrilled with it, but if you think you might be able to lend a bit of guidance or insight, I can snap a few pics. This is my build thread so far.

Again, I love the build, I love the fact that it's 100% completed, and I'm thrilled that you're both 110% satisfied.

[This message has been edited by Brocephus (edited 12-01-2008).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the entire drivetrain from the Jetta. I had the driveshaft shop make me up a set of custom axles this way I could position the engine exactly where I wanted it and didn't have to conform to and particular specs.
Dave
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brocephus Dave owns his own shop that works on german cars mainly. Dave again you are very talented. To think you started with a fiero and a wrecked jetta. Good job.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2008 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to update the fuel mileage....we have been averaging 27.6 mpg on the highway over the last week. I found a small vacuum leak from the intake manifold changeover tuning valve vacuum element. One that was replaced, we picked up some decent mpg.
I'll be taking the car to the Garden State Fiero meet tomorrow.
Dave
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2008 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
year end bump!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 19 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock