Started on: 05-06-2012 11:04 PM
Replies: 345 (17004 views)
Last post by: bjc 350 on 05-10-2014 12:27 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

This topic is so lame and so beat to death that it should go straight to the trash every time it comes up.

It is sad that the Topic has been up a week and there are only 3 pages....The Forum just aint what it used to be,,,,,,
IP: Logged
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't even know why there's a debate whether the V8 guys are faster than the V6 guys or vice versa, when clearly an I5 would kill them all.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This topic is so lame and so beat to death that it should go straight to the trash every time it comes up.

Actually I thought that the arguments and points of view expressed here on the V8's and V6 engines were quite civil. The thread was free of rudeness, no one took pot shots and the discussion is interesting. Some guys said why they like the V6 while others stated why they like the V8.
BTW, just for reference there was a V8 SBC Fiero about 8 years back that ran in the 10's. It was Pat Ciarcias car. He was from Mt Pocono PA and one of Archies customers. Pat built a race only Fiero with wide slicks, a highly modified engine and something like a crazy 250HP shot of nitrous. Surprisingly the car ran with a modified TH125H and it held up. I believe that he was using Mark Williams race axles. Point is that a 10 second quarter was done with the SBC long ago. The info on the car may still be on Archies website.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

BTW, just for reference there was a V8 SBC Fiero about 8 years back that ran in the 10's. It was Pat Ciarcias car. He was from Mt Pocono PA and one of Archies customers. Pat built a race only Fiero with wide slicks, a highly modified engine and something like a crazy 250HP shot of nitrous. Surprisingly the car ran with a modified TH125H and it held up. I believe that he was using Mark Williams race axles. Point is that a 10 second quarter was done with the SBC long ago. The info on the car may still be on Archies website.

That account was on Archie's website in the late '90's when I first got into Fieros. Knowing what I now know about the TH125, I don't believe a word of it.

Well... Actually he *may* have been able to get one good pass per overhaul on the transmission, with the reason he needed 250 HP of nitrous to get into the 10's being that the transmission would never fully shift into 2nd gear and all that power went into cooking the intermediate band and drum instead of moving the car...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2012 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14216 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by troyboy:
Why ask Why? If you really want to know go stand out side a Porsche dealership and as new owners walk outside ask them if they plan to race it. When 95% of them tell you no in a not so nice way maybe you will start to understand (or not). Life is too short to worry about why people do things that don't effect you.

Dennis please dont take this the wrong way, lol only my wife gets to ask me why I do the crazy things I do.

PS. the car is driven more than it's showed, just not a 1/4 mile at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/resu...+at+drapstrip&page=1

Substitute "Ferrari" and repeat...

OBTW, there's a $600K Carrera GT making a pass in one of those clips...

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a search for will's Ferrari at dragstrip........ didn't get any hits that showed his Ferrari at the dragstrip

Then for Will's Porsche at dragstrip........ didn't get any hits that showed his Porsche at the dragstrip

Then Will's northstar at dragstrip......... Results indicated that after 9 years the video hasn't been posted yet

Still haven't found where Will does what he's telling you to do.

But, Troy, because Will tells you to do something, then you should do what he says, not what he does.

Archie
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please quote the post in which I tell Troy to take his car to the dragstrip.

While you're at it, post the video of your Ferrari at the strip.

I never claimed to have a video of my car at the strip. That might have something to do with the fact that you can't find one.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I did a search for will's Ferrari at dragstrip........ didn't get any hits that showed his Ferrari at the dragstrip

Then for Will's Porsche at dragstrip........ didn't get any hits that showed his Porsche at the dragstrip

Then Will's northstar at dragstrip......... Results indicated that after 9 years the video hasn't been posted yet

Still haven't found where Will does what he's telling you to do.

But, Troy, because Will tells you to do something, then you should do what he says, not what he does.

Archie

I have been searching for videos of a fast mid engine V-8 Fiero.....After 25 years of putting V-8s in Fieros you would think there would be at least one......But then again V-8s are for the WOW factor and not performance.......
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah? Well my GI Joe is stronger than your GI Joe.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

I have been searching for videos of a fast mid engine V-8 Fiero.....After 25 years of putting V-8s in Fieros you would think there would be at least one......But then again V-8s are for the WOW factor and not performance.......

I'd have to say, you'd be the expert on slow V-8 swaps. How long have you been working on that LS4 swap, 5 years? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/067337.html

You don't need a video for your swap, you need a calender.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are LS-3 Fieros out there. I believe that Archie has built a few of them. That V8 engine is aluminum, lighter than a 3800 and gives 430 HP in stock trim. The advertised mileage is 24 hwy MPG. The older LS-2 gives 400 HP stock. Both those engines give more power than a 3800 SC.
Since horsepower rules the 1/4 mile, I believe that a Fiero with an LS-2 or LS-3 engine would be very fast but I never heard of anyone running the 1/4 mile with this engine in a Fiero. .We do not see many of these swaps as they are very expensive to do. The few guys that have them may be older guys that have no intention of ever racing them and may even use the GETRAG. . In contrast, 3800 swaps are common as they are easier and cheaper to do.
As to what this engine is capable of; here is a guy racing an LS-3 Corvette that consistently runs 10 second 1/4 miles. His only mod is a cam and a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vh1xtBWDXo
Face it, most of us are underdogs here trying to make the most from the least. The 3800 engine offers exactly that.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-19-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it's because if anyone actually tried to race an LSx Fiero, they would fear it would grenade the transmission with that much torque, even the F40. With that much money for an LSx swap, I think you'd be better off with a Corvette, or F-body, that have transmissions which can take the torque.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Since horsepower rules the 1/4 mile, I believe that a Fiero with an LS-2 or LS-3 engine would be very fast but I never heard of anyone running the 1/4 mile with this engine in a Fiero.

Exactly. It's all talk until the timeslips show up.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your guys' negativity is breeding more negativity like an addiction. You're like a pack rat, a junk hoarder and your house is getting full. Sit back and ask yourselves why you really care if someone installs a v8 into their fiero? You might just find that you can't even answer it. And Will, your timeslip isn't highlighted on the quarter mile list anyway. So, proof or it didn't happen. The only verified northstar time is a full second slower than you with the same transmission. You guys talk trash about how your 14.2 second 3800sc is faster than some dudes car because he never ran it at the track. What a bunch of crap. Grow up, it's time. Nobody is hurting you with their engine swap. From now on try talking about how good a 3800sc is rather than how bad a V8 is. There is a difference if you don't know.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hehehe..... I find this all quite amusing for some reason. I LOVE the 3800 and cannot wait to build mine but I was just watching the power block on TV and they were showing the evolution of the small block chevy from the old 350 to the new LS3 and on and on and it was quite interesting. There was a lot of things I was not aware of on these motors. They are supposed to be like 430HP in stock trim and that is some serious stones. It sure looks like a nice motor and the improvements and ability to run on four cylinders is most impressive. I know our little fiero's have tranny concerns in finding something that can take all this horsepower and stay together but I am actually quite surprised that we have NOT seen an LS motored fiero run a nice fast quarter. I mean the power is there for the taking and if these 3800 cars can make it work for quick times I am not sure why it is not an easy step up for these LS motored cars. I mean 400 HP naturally aspirated should be able to put some nice numbers down I would think. I know some folks just do not like quarter miles but honestly as I said before if I ever get a build in my fiero I sure as hell would run it at least a couple times just to see what I have and how it really runs full stink!! Hell my buddy in florida bought a brand new vette this year and he ran it about four times at MOROSO just to see what he could get out of it. It is just kinda part of the fun of owning a fast car to me and it is also one of the only ways you can LEGALLY push your car to its limits without ending up in jail. Peace

Pete

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I'd have to say, you'd be the expert on slow V-8 swaps. How long have you been working on that LS4 swap, 5 years? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/067337.html

You don't need a video for your swap, you need a calender.

Yeah I agree I have been working on my V-8 swap for many years now. But I can say I have put out atleast 4 3800SC swaps that are faster than anything you have ever built and have 3 more in the making. Not bad for a shade tree backyard mechanic that uses junkyard motors. And when my LS4 is finally complete I can say forsure that it will be faster than any V-8 swap you have ever done. When I say you I mean your shop as I know you haven't turned a wrench in many many years.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 05-19-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just surprised this thread isn't in the Trash yet, and manged to make it to 4 pages.
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiacguy86:

Hey everyone I'm new here and I just picked up my first fiero about a month ago and what do you know I already have 2. I got super good deals on them both. I have an 86 SE 4 speed manual 83k miles and an 86 GT 4 speed manual 68k miles. I'm keeping the 2.8 in the SE. But the GT had a blown motor and it's apart now and I really wanna put something with more power in it and I don't know which one would be better a supercharged 3800 or a V8 of some sort. Any advice?

What ever engine you choose, the car can be made fast. Just because there are many more documented fast 3800's does not mean you can't build a faster v8 if you want. However, it is most likely cheaper and easier to build a fast Fiero with the 3800 than any other engine. If bang for your buck and ease of installation is all you care about, then for sure go with the 3800.

To me though, there is a lot more to it when picking an engine. An aluminum v8 is way "cooler" to me, and that is worth a lot. eg. I think a mid engine car is way "cooler" than front engine. I know there are some cheap front engine cars out there built to be better in every way than an old mid engine Fiero, but I will choose the Fiero every time because I think its COOLER.

A high revving v8 sounds WAY better than a 3800. That is also worth something. The v8 is also more challenging to throw in. Overcoming that greater challenge is also worth something.

In the end, your budget may be the biggest deciding factor. I can't afford installing any v8 I would want, so my choice was limited to the v6's. I went with a 3500 fully knowing that it would be a bit cheaper and easier to make a 3800 faster. Point is, there is more to the decision equation than bang for your buck, but those are all things you need to decide for your self.
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LZeppelin513

761 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by mattwa:

I have a 3800 myself, and it does not sound bad, I actually like the sound very much. This is an N/A 3800 though. Doesn't sound as good as my V8 of course, but that's not really a great comparsion. On my thread I made a very long report per say, on the differences between my 3800/F23 Fiero and my 4.9/4T60e Fiero. Long story short, My 4.9 Fiero is like a heavy, loud muscle car while the 3800 Fiero is like a light, quick true sports car. Big difference there.

I would bet that this difference you describe is due more to the transmission difference then engine difference.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 *engine* is actually heavier than the 4.9, but the transmissions are the opposite. The two powertrains were probably approximately equal in weight.
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

However, naturally aspirated power is a lot harder on the driveline than turbo power...

How do you figure? NA power is gained by increasing RPM, meaning less TQ down low breaking transmissions. Boosted HP is created by increasing tq at around the same RPM. This usually means more TQ at launching RPMs.
PFF
System Bot
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 3800 *engine* is actually heavier than the 4.9, but the transmissions are the opposite. The two powertrains were probably approximately equal in weight.

I wasn't saying it was the weight. You probably couldn't feel an 80 lb weight difference even if there was one. The gearing difference is what would cause the difference in "feel".
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I weighed my 4.9/4t60e 86 SE, it came out at 2800lbs. I have added larger rims and tires, along with a DGP spoiler, so I'm sure it's heavier then that now. I have no weighed the 3800/F23 yet, but the gearing absolutely gives a different feel. It "feels" so much faster because of the F23. And yea it may be the F23 that makes it sound different, which in this case is a good thing.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2012 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeppelin513:

How do you figure? NA power is gained by increasing RPM, meaning less TQ down low breaking transmissions. Boosted HP is created by increasing tq at around the same RPM. This usually means more TQ at launching RPMs.

Both of your statements are just nonsense.

If a turbo motor and an NA motor make the exact same power and torque curves, then they will exert exactly the same amount of force on the drivetrain. Power is power, and it doesn't matter how it's made.
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I agree I have been working on my V-8 swap for many years now. But I can say I have put out atleast 4 3800SC swaps that are faster than anything you have ever built and have 3 more in the making. Not bad for a shade tree backyard mechanic that uses junkyard motors. And when my LS4 is finally complete I can say forsure that it will be faster than any V-8 swap you have ever done. When I say you I mean your shop as I know you haven't turned a wrench in many many years.

That might be relevant if Archie advertised his business as a speed shop, which I've not seen him do.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If a turbo motor and an NA motor make the exact same power and torque curves, then they will exert exactly the same amount of force on the drivetrain. Power is power, and it doesn't matter how it's made.

When you snap the throttle open, a turbo engine builds its torque very gradually compared to a naturally aspirated engine. The fact that there may be much more of it is less damaging than the fact that it builds very rapidly.

Also, high RPM launches and shifts are much harder on the driveline than low RPM launches/shifts and tend to be necessary with highly tuned N/A powerplants.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2012 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you snap the throttle open, a turbo engine builds its torque very gradually compared to a naturally aspirated engine. The fact that there may be much more of it is less damaging than the fact that it builds very rapidly.

Also, high RPM launches and shifts are much harder on the driveline than low RPM launches/shifts and tend to be necessary with highly tuned N/A powerplants.

Again, if the power and torque curves are exactly the same, it doesn't matter. They are making the same torque and power at the same RPM. They are putting out the same amount of force at the same RPM. For all intents and purposes, they would be equal.

If the power and torque curves are different, then it just doesn't matter, because they are different engines and will obviously exert different amounts of force on the driveline. It doesn't matter if something is N/A or not. What matters is the area under the curve.

And nobody cares whose car is faster in the 1/4, or on some poorly light highway at 3 am going 80-130 MPH.
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the 80 to 130 area is what I like the most. If a car can move the needles quickly through those areas, then that's power.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very few real world challenges happen from a standing start, even with motorcycles. Guys don't like to abuse their nice stuff with launching. Other than a standing start, there is no handicap in having a V8 for acceleration. Having too much trouble hooking up does not make V8 weak. Very few 3800s, boosted any way you like, would be able to pull like Don's 427.

Huh? I don't know Don and his 427. And its all about the dig.. unless you are a lame SRT4 owner. As for what most of us 3800 guys are on about, its simple. The majority of v8 Fiero's out there have been stock or really mild sbc's meant to WOW people that its stuffed in a "little Fiero". For every fast sbc Fiero, there are 30 slow v8 Fieros. I have been doing this a long time. And The only v8 I would put in a Fiero would be an LSx. But that is me... and who cares what I think?

Perfect point. We are remodling our kitchen and needed the granite counter tops removed. I was in the garage working on my LQ1 Fiero and one of the granite guys walks up and starts telling me about the sbc him and his some installed in their 84 Fiero a few years ago. I mention I am working on a 12sec Fiero that is road raced..hard. You know what he said about is sbc Fiero?

/insert southern redneck "Hey mang, me and me boy got us a 350 4bolt main in our Fie-air-ah".
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, very good points.
PFF
System Bot
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LZeppelin513

761 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Not nonsense. I never said anything about exact same power curves. Try to keep up.

Starting with the same engine and add power NA or Boost. Generally a NA build will gain power by increasing TQ at increased RPMs (make it "breath better" and bigger cam). Generally, with a simple boost build you increase the TQ though roughly the same powerband which also means more power at a given RPM. Very different curves.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And nobody cares whose car is faster in the 1/4, or on some poorly light highway at 3 am going 80-130 MPH.

= my car

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again, if the power and torque curves are exactly the same, it doesn't matter.

If the power and torque curves are different, then it just doesn't matter, because they are different engines and will obviously exert different amounts of force on the driveline.

Lol... whatever. Read what I wrote and think about it.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First, what do you consider "fast"? Generally low 13 to high 12's is considered "fast" by the automotive industry.

Second, By "performance" do you mean 1/4 mile only? or all around (track, strip, slalom, etc.)?

There are over 757 "V8 Fiero" video's on youtube. About 5% are actual track runs. The biggest problem is that anyone with a V8 Fiero posts a video and suddenly the negative comments or hacked versions appear all over the place. (Granted they are mostly attacked by the same person and a few of his minions.) Its just not worth it to deal with it. I have a few vids of my car both at the strip and on the local road courses. They are online and posted on another forum but I won't link them here, its not worth it due to the hassles created by those folks.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-20-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
They are online and posted on another forum but I won't link them here, its not worth it due to the hassles created by those folks.

Never understood this point of view. I have fun driving a Chevy Aveo when I travel despite the fact that even *I* think it's a completely lame car. If I'm driving a car I think is cool, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant, and I'm going to have fun at the track or strip and want to share that.
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

" If I'm driving a car I think is cool, what anyone else thinks is irrelevant".

WOW Will I think you get it.
Now just say this to yourself every time before you post on RTF 3800 vs the world. sorry for the "typo"

This is truly a WOW factor moment

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 05-20-2012).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2012 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not nonsense. I never said anything about exact same power curves. Try to keep up.

Starting with the same engine and add power NA or Boost. Generally a NA build will gain power by increasing TQ at increased RPMs (make it "breath better" and bigger cam). Generally, with a simple boost build you increase the TQ though roughly the same powerband which also means more power at a given RPM. Very different curves.

Not necessarily. You're making assumptions about how to add power. You add power to an NA or boosted engine in basically the same ways. The only difference is at some point on the N/A, you will hit peak efficiency and the only way to add more power will be to add either N2O, or boost, until you hit a plateau again.

If you take a stock non-boosted engine, and just add boost, though, you're not making any useful comparison. You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

Whatever your argument is, though, all things being equal (aka, area under the curve), a boosted and NA engine will exert the same amount of force on the driveline. Making assumptions about where an arbitrary NA engine and an arbitrary boosted engine make their power, is not an argument. While a boosted 3800 will generally make less torque in the lower end than a stock LS376 might, it isn't necessarily a given truth. It depends on how the 3800 is built and tuned.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

WOW Will I think you get it.
Now just say this to yourself every time before you post on RTF 3800 vs the world. sorry for the "typo"

This is truly a WOW factor moment

Last I checked, I think will has a N* not a 3800...

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010
and, how about you 3800 guys start with a V6 instead of a hacked V8...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock