Goldenfoot05s LSJ ecotec swap by Goldenfoot05
Started on: 12-09-2011 04:31 PM
Replies: 97 (17309 views)
Last post by: pHoOl on 08-14-2015 10:40 AM
Goldenfoot05

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ccfiero350:

I think once you get your sub-frame and engine in the mock up stages, aligning up the axles to the hubs and drive train is going to show some tightness on the passengers side like it did on mine.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000094-2.html

looking at your thread is the exact reason I got rid of the old strut mount and battery tray. It is quite a chunky setup for what it is. If I can figure out the plan I have in mind, and maybe my plan wont work, im going to do the engine mount on the passenger side on the actual frame rail. Similar to how it is on the cobalt. The trans also had a mount on the frame rail of the cobalt, im going to see if that is an option too. I could almost have it so I could remove the cradle without the engine. I do still plan to have mounts on both sides of the trans bolted to the cradle. We will see. Ill post my triumphs and failures!
Oh I just re-read in your thread that the tsudo headers didnt fit... Ill have to figure something out. No trunkectomy tho! This will be my DD. Need trunk! I would probably do longer axles to set everything forward before I lose my trunk.
IP: Logged
Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally back at it after the holidays! Got me some metal to work with and did some work!
I started with welding braces to the cradle. I had a piece of angle iron laying around, used that for the braces. Then went to cutting.
Here is the carnage and the tools used.

Next I will be doing some measuring and decide where to put the new piece. I got me a 9 foot piece of 2X3 box tube to use in place of the old.

[This message has been edited by Goldenfoot05 (edited 01-02-2013).]

Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a short day at work today. Put the cradle in and dropped the engine and trans in from the top. Had to take the alternator and supercharger off to clear the deck-lid hinge. It looks pretty good in there! To bad its not the last time its going in.

Ive figured out where the new crossbeam on the cradle will be and found out that the supercharger snout and pulley wont clear the deck-lid hinge on the passenger side. But other than that I couldn't see any clearance issues. I should be able to run the tsudo headers but the brake line on the rear firewall is going to need to be rerouted. It would fit as is but it would likely boil the fluid if left there.
Heres to progress!

Fiero_gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_gtpClick Here to visit Fiero_gtp's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero_gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hopefully you will get some seriously thick heat shielding for your firewall there or you will have to worry about melting your trunk. but looks amazing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fiero_gtp (edited 01-03-2013).]

Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_gtp:

hopefully you will get some seriously thick heat shielding for your firewall there or you will have to worry about melting your trunk. but looks amazing.

Yes there will be. It does look closer than it really is. But regardless I'll have some heat-shield and insulation on the outside and possibly the inside of the trunk. Thanks for the comment and compliment!
Yours is a beauty! I like the paint.
Fiero_gtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_gtpClick Here to visit Fiero_gtp's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero_gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you its a Nissan Pearl white from the 90's can't wait to see some track times of this
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed.... this is gonna be a sweet build, I also agree that the white nothchie Fiero GTP has looks real nice. Is there a build thread somewhere or some better pics of the whole car... peace

Pete

Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Agreed.... this is gonna be a sweet build, I also agree that the white nothchie Fiero GTP has looks real nice. Is there a build thread somewhere or some better pics of the whole car... peace

Pete

Thanks Pete!

White pearl is what ill eventually be painting mine. Hope that day comes soon!
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump?
CBF125Phoenix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CBF125PhoenixSend a Private Message to CBF125PhoenixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello guys

I have the same problem, I was looking for this effect for several weeks.

I phoned to Ferrari's workshop asking for this product.

They told me that the original paint is RILOPLAST from GASUP company, produced in Italy.

I don't have a Ferrari, i was looking dor this paint for my motorcycle.

Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Its been a while since ive been on PFF. Sorry for the hiatus! Work and life has had me pretty busy though, compared to some I really dont have an excuse. So, just call me lazy.
Project IS still on but, I don't have any real progress to post, unfortunately.
Check back soon though!
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
soon has come and gone, whatup?
Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright already! Im back on the project!

I did end up needing to remove the decklid hinge boxes. The right side interfered with the supercharger. Drilled out the weld spots and freed up the space! I plan on doing the decklid hinge the lowpro way. I think it is a Fieroguru mod..?

Im working on the motor and trans mounts right now. I have the engine and trans in the car right now sitting the the engine cradle with spacers to hold the engine and trans where I want it while I make the mounts and brackets. Ive built a upper right hand mount. Im not real proud of it and I actually think I can get away with using the stock cobalt mount with little fab work involved.
I have the upper left side trans mount that im deciding on. I think I may be able to get away with using the stock cobalt mount again. I need to get that mount as the original wasnt salvageable. If I decide I cant use the stock mounts from the cobalt then I have several places to use if needed. (Both the right and left mounts will attach to the frame rails of the car not the cradle.) After I decide that I will pull it all out again and work on the front and back mounts. They will be easier to work on outside the engine bay!

Thats the jist of whats been done. Its only about 6 hours of work, but its more than ive done in.... a year...

Having a baby end of January so im motivated to get this done before I have to focus my attention on my first little one!

Thanks for checking in!
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link to hinge box mod: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085829.html

A side effect of this mod is excess flex in the sheetmetal where they attach when lift struts are used. A fix for this is in this post and a couple more after it: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000142-8.html#p296
Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Link to hinge box mod: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085829.html

A side effect of this mod is excess flex in the sheetmetal where they attach when lift struts are used. A fix for this is in this post and a couple more after it: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000142-8.html#p296

Many Thanks!
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any progress?
Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, no new progress.
Lots going on in my life though.
I'm a proud new father of a beautiful baby boy! I landed my dream career and we are looking at moving. Part of the move will require more space to work on the Fiero and future projects. Hopefully withing this year! But don't hold your breath...
Sorry to say it looks like all the LSJ ecotec swaps, that I know of, have stalled.

[This message has been edited by Goldenfoot05 (edited 08-13-2015).]

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool that the blower is going to basically be hidden. I can't imagine how tough it's going to be to get the oil filter out. It was bad enough on my redline. hopefully you found a remote oil filter kit.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock