Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  low dollar 3800 turbo project (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
low dollar 3800 turbo project by darkhorizon
Started on: 09-17-2009 09:43 PM
Replies: 507 (38599 views)
Last post by: Will on 07-01-2019 08:40 AM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The manifold was put to a serious test with pressure and heat when he was dealing with a timing issue that he left unchecked for awhile as well. IT was not anything to be overly concerned about, and the latest edition works without issues, remember this is the bottom of the manifold, not the top where the stresses are.

Cool car Justin!!
1/4 mile heat stress on the manifold won't have a problem because the time spent on high heat is very little. But like every other metal that is subjected to fast high heat and fast cooling cycles, it will get brittle and will crack and eventually break. Also the force on the turbo is unilateral, because most of the time spent under high heat/stress is going forward. Once you start swerving like on a road course the manifold may just snap. It would be great if you could build a cage to hold the turbo and take the stress off the manifold.

Again, I take my hat off for you, nice job!!!!!
IP: Logged
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Current 1/4 mile list:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070670.html

The real question is who will be first to 9's, next year should be interesting.

Hehehe...I bought some more stuff...

Another real question that inquiring minds want to know is, who will be the next to get on the 10's list. Who will be next?
DH, FieroX,Fog are the only ones I know of who are trying to go 9's.

I'd laugh my azz off, If I did it first.... and you guys would have to bow down to the new speed KING ..LOL

However, I am gunning for the highest MPH not the best ET. I got 18" reasons why I will out trap everyone else.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you exceed my mph you should easily be in the 10's
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Hehehe...I bought some more stuff...

Another real question that inquiring minds want to know is, who will be the next to get on the 10's list. Who will be next?

I'd laugh my azz off, If I did it first.... and you guys would have to bow down to the new speed KING ..LOL

However, I am gunning for the highest MPH not the best ET. I got 18" reasons why I will out trap everyone else.

I want PBJ to get Akursedx's car to squeak out a 10...

Honestly fierox is probably the only 10 second car on that list of 10 second fieros... Anyone that takes a mid/high 10 spot consistantly will be fairly unique.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Honestly fierox is probably the only 10 second car on that list of 10 second fieros... Anyone that takes a mid/high 10 spot consistantly will be fairly unique.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

real question that inquiring minds want to know is, who will be the next to get on the 10's list. Who will be next?

, I am gunning for the highest MPH not the best ET.

This dude serious?

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

This dude serious?

Are U joking?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2011 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Why do you say that FieroX is the only 10 sec car? You have the trans and the HP to run consistent 10's too. The only thing holding you back IMHO is your suspension but you seem to have the balls to overcome that loosey goosey spinout into the wall @ high speed feeling.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question...Why did you mount the WG so high?

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I could easily change WG springs, easily get to my spark plugs and less heat on spark plug wires. It's far from ecm209i's theory of wastegate design but it WORKS.

If I did it over again I would probably put it in the cross over pipe like DH did in his second design. (even though it's even further from *ETOWD*)

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 12-30-2011).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My gen1 wastegate design put an issue on the plug wire right there, I had to run a 90 degree boot on it, and I believe justin did as well.

I like them in the crossover now, works great for boost control on my car, and in terms of "balance" I believe it offers a bit more breathing for the front cylinders that may see a bit extra pressure do to the long trip to the turbo.
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My gen1 wastegate design put an issue on the plug wire right there, I had to run a 90 degree boot on it, and I believe justin did as well.

I like them in the crossover now, works great for boost control on my car, and in terms of "balance" I believe it offers a bit more breathing for the front cylinders that may see a bit extra pressure do to the long trip to the turbo.

Thx, I was just thinking" what if I put my WG in the x-over" and you just confirmed that it is a pretty good spot for it. I assume you dump to the atmosphere from there? Maybe a small down pipe to the muffler??
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thx, I was just thinking" what if I put my WG in the x-over" and you just confirmed that it is a pretty good spot for it. I assume you dump to the atmosphere from there? Maybe a small down pipe to the muffler??

We put little atmo dumps that kicked out over by the driver side wheel well.

My xover dump is awesome. Perfect place out of the way and makes spring changes, plumbing, fab work super easy.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2012 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justin...

As soon as I saw the blue s/c and valve covers it took me back to a small car show several years back (according to picture info it was 9/28/08)... it was at a church on Elms Rd. I only got a couple pics but I remember thinking it was pretty cool seeing a s/c 3800 in a Fiero I was there with my G-Body Malibu.

http://s835.photobucket.com...%20church/?start=all
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got around to uploading the videos.

This is my 2nd and best run.

This is the 3rd run and attempted 4th run. Now you can see how bad the wheel hop was.

Another view of the 3rd run. Jump to 50 seconds in.

I know you guys are jealous of my headliner and windsheid.
------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 02-16-2012).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice video......Damn headliners are always the first to go and the last to get fixed....I worked on my rear manifold last night for my turbo setup with plans to finish it up today....

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
U B Rowin...LOL

Nice run but it was so fast, Maybe it's the camera but I thought it was a 1/8 mile.

BTW that 2nd gear 2/3 shift SUX. Do you shift into 2nd @ 30mph The auto gear ratio's rule.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The auto gear ratio's rule.

Except when you aren't on a 1/4 mile strip.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Except when you aren't on a 1/4 mile strip.

IMO, gear ratio is gear ratio. I can assume but please explain? The MOAR POWAH you have the lower the gear ratio you can get away with. Not to mention the MPG benefits.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO, gear ratio is gear ratio. I can assume but please explain? The MOAR POWAH you have the lower the gear ratio you can get away with. Not to mention the MPG benefits.

1. Sometimes you don't have a choice without spending $$ on a custom FD for a manual. With a manual, there is less weight and less drivetrain loss. Like a regular F23, you are stuck with 3.94, if you find a XFE transmission and swap bellhousings, then you get 3.63, but still.

2. I'm a victim of TOO low of a final drive in my automatic, 2.73. 3.33 would be great, but I don't want to drop the cradle to do it.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-12-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

2. I'm a victim of TOO low of a final drive in my automatic, 2.73. 3.33 would be great, but I don't want to drop the cradle to do it.

Just git MOAR POWAH... 2.73 with 500hp would B da sheet !
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got 300 torque and 215hp..woohoo.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

1. Sometimes you don't have a choice without spending $$ on a custom FD for a manual. With a manual, there is less weight and less drivetrain loss. Like a regular F23, you are stuck with 3.84, if you find a XFE transmission and swap bellhousings, then you get 3.63, but still.

Technically... your FDR is too high...
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

IMO, if I just wanted to mash a gas pedal and steer, I would buy a Buick. If I want to drive in a spirited fashion and actually feel like I have control of the machine, then I want to row some gears. It's called a man pedal for a reason.

I'll settle for a steeper first gear. I don't live life a quarter mile at a time.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Technically... your FDR is too high...

Yea, high. W/e. I can hit 50mph in 1st "gear" @5000RPM, that's too high.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-15-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO, if I just wanted to mash a gas pedal and steer, I would buy a Buick.

Nothing wrong with a Buick. I am kinda fond of the Grand National Myself

If I want to drive in a spirited fashion and actually feel like I have control of the machine, then I want to row some gears. It's called a man pedal for a reason.

If working a "stick" makes you feel more like a Man then.... more power to you.

I'll settle for a steeper first gear. I don't live life a quarter mile at a time.

Me to .. would also like a manual trans than can handle 700hp, hard 1st gear launches, and clutch dumps without exploding. Know of any?
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Me to .. would also like a manual trans than can handle 700hp, hard 1st gear launches, and clutch dumps without exploding. Know of any?

T56
xTrac
Hewland
G96,G97,G87,G50
LZeppelin513

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Finally got around to uploading the videos.

This is my 2nd and best run.

Sweet. Looks like fun.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

T56
xTrac
Hewland
G96,G97,G87,G50

Great please make me a kit (adapter plate, mounts, wiring, axles, etc) to bolt/wire up to the 3800 and PCM.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say cryo-treat an F23, install a LSD, and beef it up in any areas as needed, and use that.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW that 2nd gear 2/3 shift SUX. Do you shift into 2nd @ 30mph The auto gear ratio's rule.

I shift around 35-55-95-140.

I need some valve train mods so I can abuse it like a 2JZ. (more rpm)

------------------
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Then your trans wont shift, hah.

Going to need more than valve train to get passed 6500 rpms anyway.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That SUX... mine is like 53 96 140 ..that 1/2 shift is

Yeah and a Turbo cam.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added another video

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/103440-7.html#p254

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Added another video.

IHATEU
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You folks have some fast cars! All compliments, and very impressive.

Tony
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slowly coming together like everything else I work on...Big THANKS to Justin for answering the billion and one questions I have asked so far....

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oooooo purdy

------------------
11.54@132.7

mram10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mram10Send a Private Message to mram10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MB,
What turbo did you use? How much $$$ have you thrown at the turbo upgrade so far? Looks great.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

So your just running a turbo in there???? Oh wait....Yea, I see the engine behind there.

Steve
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock