Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  low dollar 3800 turbo project (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
low dollar 3800 turbo project by darkhorizon
Started on: 09-17-2009 09:43 PM
Replies: 507 (38632 views)
Last post by: Will on 07-01-2019 08:40 AM
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys, I am kinda toying with the idea of going turbo rather than s/c. It would mean changing my exhaust setup though back to 2 into 1. What can you expect to run hp/turbo wise without an intercooler? I would pretty much need to find a decent deal on a turbo and manifold setup if i am gonna go ahead with it at this point...I should prob get the car finshed s/c'd and then save up for turbo and collect some parts over the following year or so.
IP: Logged
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone want to sponsor a pt 6466 and see how it works on a 3800?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Anyone want to sponsor a pt 6466 and see how it works on a 3800?

pt6776 is ready to roll. if you can handle a bit of smoke no reason not to try it out.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd take a 6466 over an old school 6776 any day. Price is the only downfall to the 64. Outperforms even the billet 6766, unless your running big big boost.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up a set of Firestone winterforce (205/75R14) snow tires with studs and went ice racing last weekend. Snow was very deep and dense. It was over 12" in many places. Luckily I put a tow hook on the front and back last week. I had to get pulled out about 5 times. 3 of those times was while we were making the course. It actually made a good plow to clear the way as long as I didn't get in the snow banks. I would end up ontop of the snow with no weight on my wheels. I love these tires on the snowy roads. I have more confidence than my 4wd blazer....as long as I have the clearance.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 02-12-2014).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put in some heavier valve springs. PAC-1219x It feels like it pulls harder in the upper RPM especially above ~6200.

I shot a little video last night of a run and then made a split screen against my best run at the track last fall. I think you can see a difference if you look at the tach. Very scientific I know.

You might have to do full screen HD to see anything.

I was at 25psi at the tack and only 22 psi last night but the air was colder.

Also went to a car show on Saturday at Michigan State University. There was 650+ cars registered and 1500 people. It was a good time with a variety of cars. I won "Best Go Car" and 1st in 80-92 car. I didn't expect anything, lol. I must have had a lot of friends there.

------------------
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-22-2014).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any plans to make it back to the track? I think I may make the 2+ hour drive this weekend to run at "import wars" at Rockingham.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like fun. Thinking of going the turbo 3800 route with my Indy Fiero project.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Any plans to make it back to the track? I think I may make the 2+ hour drive this weekend to run at "import wars" at Rockingham.

No plans on a drag strip day yet. I'm excited to see you run.

------------------
10.91@133.1

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
F23 problems here- https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/121743-5.html#p160

------------------
10.91@133.1

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My clutch hasn't been acting right for a few weeks. It was 'tricky' to engage smoothly and it would make an awful noise sometimes. It slipped a few times at low rpm and full boost which it never had before. When I took the trans out I expected to see it cracked and have to buy a new clutch again. Clutch disk and pressure plate looked great. The insert on the flywheel warped on one side of the flywheel about 100* around while the other side looked fine.

The counterweight on the flywheel is slightly making contacted with the rear cover on the block. I'm not concerned about it though it looks very light.

Took the insert off from the flywheel and you can see hot spots on the back side.

Ordered an insert from Fidanza 229501 on a hunch and it was a perfect fit. $52 shipped from amazon. Has anyone ordered a replacement from spec? How much was it?

I lightly sanded off the ridges from the bolt heads and reinstalled everything.

So I started thinking about if some kind of heatsink compound that you use on computers would be a good idea. I would hate for it to leak out onto the clutch and contaminate it though. Looking back on the picture it looks like something came out from behind the insert I can't remember what it felt like. It could just be clutch media dust I suppose.

------------------
10.91@133.1

PFF
System Bot
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry you are having tranny problems

it seams like you have taken the cradle down a few times,
How long does it take you to drop the cradle ?

Are you going to keep the same type of trans ?

What flywheel is that ?
it does not look like the Camaro flywheel, since I don't remember it having an insert like yours.

I really admire your skills n knowledge
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It take 1.5-2 hours to have the trans out and on the table. About 3-4 hours to get it back moving on it's own. Flywheel was from Spec. It's their aluminum flywheel made for the 3800 fiero swap. I'll continue on with this same trans. Its cheap and I feel like I get more than I deserve out of it

------------------
10.91@133.1

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess i'll update this. Twin disk is in and doing great.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/133235.html

------------------
10.91@133.1

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally made it back to the track. New personal best. This was at 26 psi.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 twin disk
10.91@133.1

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:
Finally made it back to the track. New personal best. This was at 26 psi.

When the headlight doors open spontaneously at speed you're flying, somewhere in the area of 120 plus when it happened to me. You've got a lot of confidence, or lack of concern continuing with the same flywheel arrangement after the insert distortion. I would have ditched it unless I knew what caused it and could be sure it would never happen again. Good job.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

When the headlight doors open spontaneously at speed you're flying, somewhere in the area of 120 plus when it happened to me. You've got a lot of confidence, or lack of concern continuing with the same flywheel arrangement after the insert distortion. I would have ditched it unless I knew what caused it and could be sure it would never happen again. Good job.

I have the bottom area covered up so not much air is supposed to get in the radiator area. They didn't pop up on the first run and it trapped 135.3. I was surprised to seem them pop up this time. The flywheel is quite a bit different with a 3/8 thick steel insert. Check out my twin disk thread in my sig. Clutch has been great so far.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 twin disk

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet a couple strips of duct tape would keep those doors down...might pic up a lil more with them down...
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you still running the 351VE?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes
jhobbins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2017 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhobbinsSend a Private Message to jhobbinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead with such a stupid question, how exactly is the front side of the exhaust routed? I just thumbed through the pictures and I can't figure it out to save my life. Do you possibly have a better picture?

Edit: scratch that I was being an idiot. I'd like to pick your brain in this build though, I'm planning something similiar

[This message has been edited by jhobbins (edited 05-09-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
Initial.F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2019 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Initial.FSend a Private Message to Initial.FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m totally doing this.....I have a short stack intercooler, and a ported intake.....can I use that with a external water cooled, intercooler?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2019 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Initial.F:

I’m totally doing this.....I have a short stack intercooler, and a ported intake.....can I use that with a external water cooled, intercooler?

You probably mean external heat exchanger. The short stack is a water cooled intercooler. I run my with a Flojet pump and a frozen boost heat exchanger thats below the radiator/

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2019 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use an air/air intercooler mounted horizontally where the catalytic converter use to sit.
An air dam just afterwards forces the air up through the intercooler.
This idea was copied off DarthFiero, and it works well.

Just to say that I havn't seen this thread Darkhorizon/Justinbart in a long time. It was one of the threads that inspired me to do the same thing.
I don't regret it!!

Rafe

------------------
'87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!

Initial.F

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2019 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Initial.FSend a Private Message to Initial.FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frenchrafe:

I use an air/air intercooler mounted horizontally where the catalytic converter use to sit.
An air dam just afterwards forces the air up through the intercooler.
This idea was copied off DarthFiero, and it works well.

Just to say that I havn't seen this thread Darkhorizon/Justinbart in a long time. It was one of the threads that inspired me to do the same thing.
I don't regret it!!

Rafe

Yeah I have a crazy idea for a intercooler heat exchanger location....I’m waiting on material” Abs plastic aluminum lines and 3/8 aluminum sheets and stock.

I’m thinking about running 2 intercooler heat exchangers built into a spoiler... the lines will run through the body of the spoiler” for a clean look” it will have a remote line that seals when you open the trunk. The intercooler pump will also shut off, if the trunk is opened while the car is running. It’s hard to explain....I will make a build thread for it.

The construction will be Abs plastic molded and formed and a aluminum frame it’s gonna run 4 stands two mounted near the back and two mounted where the old wing stands use to sit.

[This message has been edited by Initial.F (edited 06-28-2019).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2019 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's funny. Last night I was thinking of posting the question on who was it that put an IC in the rear spoiler. But then thought it might be a different car format.
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2019 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I’m thinking about running 2 intercooler heat exchangers built into a spoiler... the lines will run through the body of the spoiler” for a clean look” it will have a remote line that seals when you open the trunk. The intercooler pump will also shut off, if the trunk is opened while the car is running.

That's going to be complicated "Binky Boys style"!
Hope you make it work - good on you.

Rafe

------------------
'87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2019 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I have a crazy idea for a intercooler heat exchanger location....I’m waiting on material” Abs plastic aluminum lines and 3/8 aluminum sheets and stock.

I’m thinking about running 2 intercooler heat exchangers built into a spoiler... the lines will run through the body of the spoiler” for a clean look” it will have a remote line that seals when you open the trunk. The intercooler pump will also shut off, if the trunk is opened while the car is running. It’s hard to explain....I will make a build thread for it.

The construction will be Abs plastic molded and formed and a aluminum frame it’s gonna run 4 stands two mounted near the back and two mounted where the old wing stands use to sit.

Originally posted by sourmash:

That's funny. Last night I was thinking of posting the question on who was it that put an IC in the rear spoiler. But then thought it might be a different car format.

GM actually did that on one of their prototypes
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock