Ecotec le5 Turbo 2.4 Build by 4thfiero
Started on: 07-10-2014 06:08 PM
Replies: 272 (12238 views)
Last post by: 4thfiero on 04-28-2023 03:26 PM
cyrus88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4thfiero:

Rendition of my Fiero with the wide body kit and aero from the rear....front to come.

I've been thinking about doing the Liberty Walk inspired wide fenders for a while but I hadn't actually had a clear picture in my head, until now. That rendering looks awesome.
IP: Logged
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love it more as a chop-top

jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to know what the dyno numbers are. Don't even care for the chart. HP at given RPM and TQ at given RPM...
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im so sorry Jedi, my tuner is REALLY bad at sending me emails...i just texted him again. He has my sheets at his home, and he always forgets to bring them into the shop...its getting annoying. Ill have them by Friday for sure. Ill drive to his house if i have too..

Yeah this wide body is that of a rocket bunny style, mixed with Bensopra, similar to liberty walk. Im having either JC fiber glass or Bensopra motorsports make the wide body kit. Right now im leaning towards Bensopra motors...but they are in California, and im in Winnipeg, lol....so id either have to ship my car to them, or find a REALLY nice Fiero owner in California, willing to let Bensopra take measurements for fender fitments.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

4thfiero

815 posts
Member since Oct 2012
The Fiero is already such a small car, that i think chop tops look disproportional...(my opinion) and im 6'2'' chop tops are not for me..

Originally posted by Neils88:

I'd love it more as a chop-top

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im so sorry Jedi, my tuner is REALLY bad at sending me emails...i just texted him again. He has my sheets at his home, and he always forgets to bring them into the shop...its getting annoying. Ill have them by Friday for sure. Ill drive to his house if i have too..

Surely, you must at least know what the peak hp/tq numbers were and can post those for us before you get the chart?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kay im looking back in texts i have with him...he sent me this mms with a bunch of numbers on it...ill give you an example...

Speed (mph) : 77.8
RPM: 5590
CWhlPrCHp: 315.0
CWhlTq cbl-ft: 292.1
STPpwr CHp: 380.9
STPTrq Clb-ft: 348.7
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kay im looking back in texts i have with him...he sent me this mms with a bunch of numbers on it...ill give you an example...

Speed (mph) : 77.8
RPM: 5590
CWhlPrCHp: 315.0
CWhlTq cbl-ft: 292.1
STPpwr CHp: 380.9
STPTrq Clb-ft: 348.7

Those are some impressive numbers in a car that weighs less than 3000 lbs.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do u know how to read that? lol...i still wanna know the dyno graph...i think this was an old sheet so my numbers might even be better...ill still bug him for the graph. And see what my top numbers are
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do u know how to read that? lol...i still wanna know the dyno graph...i think this was an old sheet so my numbers might even be better...ill still bug him for the graph. And see what my top numbers are

I'm pretty sure the 315/292 are your at the wheels HP/TQ numbers. I believe the other numbers are corrected flywheel HP/TQ most likely based on 15% drive train losses combined with atmospheric conditions.

These numbers are inline with what I expected you to get based off my talks with the folks at zzp who specialize in forced induction ecotecs...

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 08-06-2015).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KK that makes sense. Yeah, my tuner said i was getting around 400hp to the crank in the winter time due to the super cold air lol....i wanted to test that and see. She is lightning fast though, specially when that turbo kicks in, you just get launched....

In the future after all the body mods, i might go stage 4 and get 650 hp to the crank...hunt me some lambo's....lol

[This message has been edited by 4thfiero (edited 08-06-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eventually I want to do one of these in an 88 formula with a manual, but I will use the LSJ with upgraded TVS blower. It will be a much lighter, cleaner and easier install b/c the S/C inlet will face the proper direction in the proper spot for the intake. It will have no extra weight due to piping, intercoolers, etc... The exhaust weight will be lighter than stock and just about any other swap you could do as well. I'll give up potential power to what could be had with the turbo, but it won't matter to me b/c I can make more power than I want too with the S/C as is. We'll see though... I'm glad some people are finally starting to do these swaps. I think you will enjoy yours for years to come.
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jediperk

588 posts
Member since May 2013

In the future after all the body mods, i might go stage 4 and get 650 hp to the crank...hunt me some lambo's....lol

I'd be careful with that. There comes a point where you can't put the power down and it just becomes dangerous or you do manage to get the power down and grenade part of the drive-train. That's part of the reason I'm going with the S/C. I know I can hit the "safe" limit with it and probably go past it if I wanted to. I think you are probably at the "safe" limit right now...
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stage 4 kit requires pistons, rods and stuff like that....you have to build the block up, but alpha fab tests these engines over 650plus hp with those settings and parts to achieve that new safe limit. i would never put that much power down without upgrading the drive train.

I was considering LSJ and supercharger stuff, i never went down that route bcc i like the VVT on the LE5 engine, and the S/C is always on since its belt driven...so my MPG might suffer a little more than a turbo (when not boosting) right now i have the car tuned so that i can daily drive with the 200ish hp N/A just fine, sips gas...then if i put more throttle down, the turbo kicks in when i want it to (maybe half a second or so of lag) and i get full power...a good balance between daily driver and track monster. I actually cant believe how good this engine is on gas (when driving normal)...im really happy with it.
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought about the fuel economy issue myself, but the reality is that with the new TVS S/C (the one darn near as efficient as a turbo) now available for the ecotec engines that makes the turbo/s/c fuel economy argument a mute point (especially with .4 liters less displacement to have to feed). Remember, the blower is always turning, but the exhaust restriction of the turbo is always in play too. My car won't be for D/D duties anyways. I have that Fiero already. My concern for fuel economy is more the small fuel tank we have to work with. As far as safely achieving big power numbers with the ecotec, zzp has taken them to a 1000 HP. That's not the safety issue I was talking about though. Drive train and traction are the Achilles heal of big power Fiero's due to lack of traction control and robust transverse drive-train options. I think that's 50% of the reason Darkhorizon is stuck at 10.08 in the 1/4 (the other probably being the have to put in a role cage to go into the 9's at most tracks...). I think you have yours at the perfect power level right where it is. It's the brakes and suspension that I would advise you to work on followed by the wide body stuff you want to do.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what MPG are you getting now with the current tune? And what's the actual displacement of the engine? Is it a stock bore/stroke LE5?
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

So what MPG are you getting now with the current tune? And what's the actual displacement of the engine? Is it a stock bore/stroke LE5?

That's a good question b/c the LE5 in our HHR does not get anywhere near the real world fuel economy the LNF got in my Cobalt. Yeah, it's toting around a couple hundred pounds more weight and not as aerodynamic, but still it doesn't even come close on the highway (I'm talking more than 5 mpg difference) and the highways I was traversing in the Cobalt SS were in Germany...
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:
That's a good question b/c the LE5 in our HHR does not get anywhere near the real world fuel economy the LNF got in my Cobalt. Yeah, it's toting around a couple hundred pounds more weight and not as aerodynamic, but still it doesn't even come close on the highway (I'm talking more than 5 mpg difference) and the highways I was traversing in the Cobalt SS were in Germany...

Gearing/tire size probably also had a play in the difference. Probably also a difference in percentage of highway versus city miles? What sort of economy did you get with those (or how many L/100 km)?
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My combined average over roughly 10k miles was a little over 28 mpg. I normally drove on the unrestricted parts of the autobahn at around 160 km/h (100 mph). Yeah, I had my fun and took it up to 145 a couple times, but mostly I stayed right around 100 mph unless there was a speed limit and then I would usually stay about 5 over. It's annoying driving over 100 mph b/c you can't maintain the speed and are always having to hit the brakes hard and speed back up all the time due to traffic. Most of the areas that have speed limits are 130/120 km/h which is between 72-78 mph. I drove a lot of the back roads when we traveled however b/c they had so many good driving roads that reminded me of where I grew up in southern ohio with lots of turns and elevation changes going through really scenic country side. Over all, I would say probably 40% bahn, 30% city, 30% rural two lane. I still can't believe that GM only rated that car at 30 mph highway. Its way better than that...
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was considering LSJ and supercharger stuff, i never went down that route bcc i like the VVT on the LE5 engine, and the S/C is always on since its belt driven...so my MPG might suffer a little more than a turbo (when not boosting) right now i have the car tuned so that i can daily drive with the 200ish hp N/A just fine, sips gas...then if i put more throttle down, the turbo kicks in when i want it to (maybe half a second or so of lag) and i get full power...a good balance between daily driver and track monster. I actually cant believe how good this engine is on gas (when driving normal)...im really happy with it.

Two questions: First, what kind of fuel economy are you getting? Second, is it turbo lag or did they just design the turbo to spool higher in the rev range so as to maintain boost all the way through redline while giving you decent fuel economy during normal driving?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not sure how to answer your questions accurately about the fuel consumption, but ill try...

My wife drives an 08 honda civic lx, and i feel like the Fiero gets better MPG than the civic now. My commute tow work is like 20 min one way in normal traffic...i do that run back and forth everyday, as well as driving to the opposite end of my city (maybe 30 min there) and i drive there every thursday and friday...i dont have to fill up with gas for about 2 weeks of driving like that or so depending. I just notice that the gas needle moves WAY slower with this engine than my old 2.8 v6. And im visiting the gas station a lot less.

And yeah, its not really lag, its that the turbo doesnt kick in until a higher rpm to maintain boost throughout the power band and helps with my fuel consumption. I finally got the dyno graph from my tuner.

PFF
System Bot
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And yes...brakes and suspension are on the list...Steven Snyder and i already figured out optimal tire sizes...getting brembo brakes directly from brembo, and custom jrz suspension. Also getting custom hubs made from coleman racing...tapered roller bearings that will never need to be replaced, even if tracked hard...im super pumped about that!

Jedi are u getting your SC from zzp? which one is it?
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://zzperformance.com/ec...id/1313/category/17/

Here is the link to the TVS supercharger for ecotec

Man, they have your tune running very rich at WOT. Normally on a Forced Induction setup you want to be around 12-12.5 or so. They definitely are not taking any chances with your tune. Sounds like you are getting exceptionally good fuel economy during normal driving though

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 08-09-2015).]

4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2015 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool!!!!
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I have to pick up an L62 soon... I need to join the ecotec turbo club
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates ? Was wondering how the suspension stuff is working out .
akademikjeanius

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Any updates ? Was wondering how the suspension stuff is working out .

+1
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lots of good input!

As promised, more pics! It's warm out today.

Love that nose! Looks like the Ferrari 512 PB
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2023 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on your car? Got any driving vids?
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2023 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is currently sitting in a garage safe from winter, almost time to bring her out again.

I have been updating the dash lights with red LED ones, and getting her prepped for a full body work/paint job to make her look pristine. Ill post some pics once that job is done. I got some big plans for her this summer.

OH! I did end up changing the front bumper cover...I took a cover for a 91 Mazda RX7 fc3s, I then had a body guy modify and merge it with a stock Fiero bumper cover to keep the mounting points the same. Looks MUCH better than the OG nose.

[This message has been edited by 4thfiero (edited 04-26-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, gonna get it painted? Any vids in general of the car? Haven’t found many ecotec turbo Fiero vids out there besides the couple from wftb. I know there’s an lsj Fiero on youtube as well, Lightspeed Fieros I think. You have to have one of the fastest though with 315whp.
4thfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4thfieroSend a Private Message to 4thfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

Looks good, gonna get it painted? Any vids in general of the car? Haven’t found many ecotec turbo Fiero vids out there besides the couple from wftb. I know there’s an lsj Fiero on youtube as well, Lightspeed Fieros I think. You have to have one of the fastest though with 315whp.

Yes, If all goes according to plan im getting it painted this summer after some body work. Thinking "Lightning Red" with some satin black trim stuff.

Yeah, she is pretty fast. I need to dyno her again to see what she's at now. I was told by my tuner (who street tunes the car) That after we swapped out the fuel injectors and re-tuned it...she's probably around 400 whp now on 94 Octane. But I need to get that confirmed via a dyno. Def feels faster though. I dont have any videos yet no. I will upload something once the work is complete.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock