3.4L Guru? by heypal
Started on: 01-22-2018 02:39 PM
Replies: 14 (414 views)
Last post by: FieroWannaBe on 01-25-2018 12:51 PM
heypal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is there a 3.4L swap guru on here?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you should perhaps narrow down what part of it you are looking for help with. all of it or parts. a google search will turn up quite a few threads on how to do it. not sure if I saved any articles or not. I did on a transmission swap.

I did one a few years ago along with a 4T60 swap (highly recommend the 4 speed auto). not a hard swap.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, FSIC, N*, 1.9 rollers
1985 Honda V65 Magna

heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point. So I currently have a '88 Formula with 204K on the OD. The car is in fantastic shape. I am looking to restore some reliability in the engine and the 3.4L swap sounds like a home run. Doing some web research I can purchase a 3.4L crate for roughly $1400. I have a friend who is a trained mechanic that will be helping me with the project. Below are a few key questions.

https://accurateengines.com...ors/34-chevy-engine/

1. I understand the intake will swap over, but there is a performance sacrifice do to restricted air flow?? I would like to retain the stock "FIERO" intake so it appears stock. Perhaps someone can chime in here.

2. What cam options are available?

3. My car features the 5 speed. Again, at 204K a rebuild would be in order. Are parts still available for these trannys?

4. Will the valve train be included in the kit above? It is a bit unclear.

Thanks,
Brandon
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, first off you've chosen a later model motor which is a good choice but more complicated. The easy swap is a 1993-1995 Camaro or firebird 3.4. that's the one I did, the later 3.4's are a different animal. I'm sure someone will chime in with information about that engine swap.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, the motor from the 93-95 is what I am aiming for as like you said is the most straight forward. I thought I was in the clear when it read 1999 and older.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
General Motors made 3 different 3.4 liter V6 engines. The web page in the link doesn't specify which one you're getting.

That said, the easiest one to swap is the Camaro / Firebird version. It's basically an oversized 2.8 V6. And as such, it's almost a drop-in swap. You can read about that here: http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org/

The other two engines are more involved to swap in, because they're very different from the 2.8 V6.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am no expert...I swapped in a 3.4 out of a F-body a decade ago....A bit more power but at a lower RPM (This confounds the "Tonda" contingent) which means it is a monster off the line, but it doesn't like to wind up past 5000 with the stock >>Fiero<< intake.....The pinch point is just down-stream of the TB..The neck of the intake is too small just before going into the plenum. I am modding a spare intake with a piece of aluminum tubing that I am about to have welded in.

I have never messed with the cam...In fact I used the stock Fiero Injectors because the ones that were "Recommended" to me would not work properly with my 85 computer- supposedly the 88 computer can run the different injectors.

Get the Ram heavy duty clutch- I ate the stock-size clutch in a few years- And I am easy on clutches!

My 2600 lb 85 SE Getrag 5 spd gets to 60 in 6.5 seconds and thru the 1/4 in around 14.8 seconds...In a parking lot Gymkana it is just about the perfect amount (And delivery) of power.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2018 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thank you!!
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the stock intake, do a search for DAWG's INTAKE. Basically he opens ups the choke point and adds a bigger TB. Looks completely stock and provides better airflow for the engine. I have it on mine and it works great.
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't keep the 3.4 with 4T60 tranny car long enough to really see how much difference there was since I was able to pick up a 3800SC already swapped car but it was a very nice improvement. sounded nice.

I used a 262 cam (272 requires some machining), Dawg intake modification, 19 lb injectors, bored out TB inlet to match a machined TB done by Steve Monroe. better flowing cat. actually had a truelo intake and exhaust that I had not put on, sold those after I picked up the 3800SC.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2018 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a vehicle with a 3.4 push rod engine and a 272 cam (no machining that I am aware of) and also used the 19 pound injectors (Ford type). It took a lot of custom tune work to get the engine from pig rich with black smoke and little power to a nicely running vehicle with decent acceleration (0-60 in around 5.4-5.5 seconds). This specific engine has been further modified with a Truelo intake, custom CAI, and large diameter exhaust tubing as well as a turbo. It is a fun car to drive, but I would do another 3800 SC swap before I went the 3,4 turbo ($/HP).

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
Ucycle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2018 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UcycleSend a Private Message to UcycleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished 3.4 swap too (only need to iron out an exhaust issue) and here is all the link i read up and its a pretty straight forward plug & play. I initially use my stock 2.8 injectors but i was getting lean code even after sealing all the exhaust manifold leaks. Mind you the 2.8 injectors are old so they might not have slight clog/ less flow rate, a rebuild 2.8 injector might work. I went with the BMW #17 injectors instead of the 3.4 injectors since i didn't want it to run rich (california smog). Since i install it, no more lean code. All the links below really help me first time do any swap or taking out the engine. hope this help
also from what i read before my swap, that you can't get crate 3.4(F marked engine) anymore but i could be wrong.

http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org/
Another 3.4 swap writeup
Another good 3.4 swap writeup
Good 3.4 swap online book
another good swap writeup
Another 3.4 swap writeup
Price list for part
Part list for 3.4 swap
Rodney Dickman 3.4 swap part (you might not need it, i didn't any)
Cheap HP gain mods
Waterpump install writeup
Waterpump torque diagram
3.4 engine identification mark
Timing chain sprocket align mark
How to set valve lash
Extra tips on setting valve lash
2.8 vs 3.4 dipstick "full" mark

[This message has been edited by Ucycle (edited 01-24-2018).]

heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2018 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ucycle. The links to all the listed threads will be very helpful! The big question, how does it run
Ucycle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2018 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UcycleSend a Private Message to UcycleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only got about 100mi on it, still need to take it to a muffler shop and have it fix an exhaust issue. Other than that it drive like 2.8 but a bit more torque. Also when buying a re-manufactured engine read the warranty fine print carefully. I spend more time dealing with the warranty on my reman engine (ATK?LKQ reman engine, won't buy from them again, BS warranty) than the swap itself. In the end they claim it was my fault even though the head gasket was leaking before I start the engine. I didn't get a single dime from replacing the leaky head gasket.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently have a low mileage 2.8 out of my fiero if you are interested in that. Approximately 75k on it. Its from an 88.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock