3.4 identification by hoddy
Started on: 04-28-2017 07:47 PM
Replies: 9 (382 views)
Last post by: hoddy on 04-29-2017 06:22 PM
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gentlemen I understand the 3.4 was used in many different vehicles. If you had just a motor is there a way to identify which model of car it was originally for. Am I correct in assuming they had different setups for various models ie horsepower ratings etc. Reason I ask is I have found one for sale but the owner has no idea what model of vehicle it came from, as he acquired it as part of a package deal or something. I asked for the engine no ( A95092BAS ) but can find nothing relating to this. Would hate to purchase this and then find out it could be from a something other than the Camaro/Firebird and be less horsepower/slower ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2017 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 Camaro/Firebird was 93-95 only. It had iron heads. Same heads as the Fiero. It should have an "F" casting on the side of the block.
hoddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will ask them to check, which side is it stamped on ?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know which side, but it's reasonably large and is a raised casting. The seller may be calling a 3400 a 3.4. If it has aluminum heads it isn't a Camaro/Bird 3.4.

Edit: I found a picture but can't post from my phone. The F is cast into the block just above where the Fiero started is located. Below the #6 exhaust port if the heads are on the engine.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-29-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the engine still have the intake on it? If it's a F-Body 3.4, the intake manifold should look like a big letter Y. If the intake looks like a spider, then it's a 3400. See photos below.

CAMARO 3.4:

FWD 3400:

Also, I forgot to mention that the F-Body 3.4 actually has less horsepower than the 3400 V6. And as far as I know, there was no "less horsepower" version of the iron-head 3.4 V6. So if you accidentally got a 3400 V6, you're actually getting "bonus" horsepower. You'll also be getting a roller cam, reinforced engine block (stronger than the F-Body 3.4 block), and a reinforced bottom end. You also won't need to drill holes for the starter mounting bolts, because they're on the correct side. The downside is that if you want to use the Fiero heads and intake, you'll need to swap in 3.4 V6 pistons, because the iron heads on the 3400 engine would have really high compression with the stock 3400 pistons.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-29-2017).]

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The 3.4 Camaro/Firebird was 93-95 only. It had iron heads. Same heads as the Fiero. It should have an "F" casting on the side of the block.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't know it was on both sides. The picture I found only showed the other side of the engine. It would be difficult to see that side on an automatjc equipped car.
hoddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely your first pic Blacktree, but what I wondered was if that engine was used for anything other than the Camaro/Firebird and if so was it altered/detuned ?
hoddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2017 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hoddy

136 posts
Member since Jan 2015
Oops didn't read enough first time round, thanks for the replies gents.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock