'88 Water Pump: Torx sizes, Torque specs, Torque sequence by imacflier
Started on: 08-08-2010 08:14 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: css9450 on 08-08-2010 12:00 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
G'mornin, guys,

I changed my water pump yesterday ('88GT manual). It took about 3 hours, but then I am an old fat disabled slow mechanic (giving myself the benefit of the doubt!).

This link //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-055283.html is the best w/p r&r thread on the form (Thanks Jazzman!) I did it from the top, no need to pull the wheel or wheel well. I kept track of which bolts were which sizes and show them on the drawing below:

Notes: None of the T-30 penetrate the water jacket, but they all need anti-sieze. I used thread sealant on all the rest, but I am only certain that #4 HAS to have it. #3 and #7 are studs and hold brackets which are in turn retained with 13mm nuts. #4 is unique in that it is BOTH T-50 torx AND 18mm hex.

I suggest using a plastic putty knife to clean the gasket surface since you cannot damage the aluminum with a plastic putty knife.

And in an OH NO! moment I discovered what you all probably already know: BRAKE cleaner leaves no residue, but CARB cleaner DOES!

This is a $600 flat rate manual job (on Long Island, NY) and well worth your time to do yourself!

regards and good luck,

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2010 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Great information, if not a nod towards Jazzman.

Want to add, that when I did mine, I used this picture to reference where the bolts went. I printed it out, then just poked the bolts through the appropriate holes. No misplaced bolts, or wondering where any go.

------------------

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Lots of people use this opportunity to switch everything over to standard Hex bolts; if I ever have to do this project again I think I'll make the switch.

I'd forgotten I posted on that old thread linked above but am happy to report all has been well these past six years. No leaks and no water pump issues at all.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock