Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Front turn signal light covers project (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Front turn signal light covers project by seajai
Started on: 01-09-2016 01:46 AM
Replies: 64 (3247 views)
Last post by: NightMare Cruiser on 09-10-2023 07:56 AM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2016 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for an update:

Both molds are done and ready for a production run:

I finally figured out what was causing my pock mark issue......dust! The kind of dust you can only see when the sun is shining in the window. Acrylic is really prone to static buildup, and the 18% humidity in my garage was only making it worse. No matter what I tried I couldn't stop the acrylic from acting like a giant dust magnet. I got the humidity up to 35% and even put a pan of water in the oven but nothing would stop the dust. After a dozen tries I finally found something that worked.......Plasti-Dip. There is a product out there specifically designed to protect acrylic throughout the thermoforming process, but it's not cheap, so I thought I'd try Plasti-Dip a substitute. It works quite well and eliminates 99% of the dust divots.

Blank coated and ready to form:

Formed:

Peeled:

Cut and ready to install:

Overall I'm happy with the final product, they aren't perfect, but pretty close. I will start a sale thread in the mall. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/073403.html Please check it out on contact me if you'd like to purchase a pair.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-24-2016).]

IP: Logged
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! I may be in for a Formula set when they come around
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A much faster and cheaper solution is to leave the outer sheet on the bottom. This will only work if you can heat from above and the sheet hasn't been scratched.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

A much faster and cheaper solution is to leave the outer sheet on the bottom. This will only work if you can heat from above and the sheet hasn't been scratched.

Will it work with the paper coated acrylic or just the plastic film? I thought about trying it but thought it would just melt the protective film.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just the plastic. Every pull of acrylic I leave half wrapped

If you don't have an ir heater and have to remove the sheets, just use acrylic cleaner. It removes the static. And Don't blow with air as this creates static.

BTW, why are you using such a large sheet? For something so shallow, you can get away with less than an inch of trim. Get some half inch square tubing and remake your clamping frame. You'll save a ton of product

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 01-25-2016).]

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. I am in line for the Formula front and rear bumper covers (non-tinted most likely)! Also, don't forget what I messaged you about on the headlight covers

Thanks,
Amir

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 01-25-2016).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for an update. Progress on the Formula lens covers has been a little slow but things are happening. Due to the long shallow area on the bumper I have decided to drape form the acrylic instead of vacuum forming it. This means the piece of acrylic will be cut prior to heating, after heating it is laid in the form and the other half is set on top to form it to shape.

To make the molds, I used a Formula bumper set flat on some saw horses. After filling the opening with ultracal30, I formed a plug to the compound curve of the bumper opening. Once that was set, I applied a release agent and covered the area with another layer of ultracal30 to pull a negative mold. I left that to dry for a few days and then applied 4 coats of wax as a release agent. Tonight I filled the negative mold full of ultracal30 to form the positive half. This will need to dry for a few days before I can run a sample lens to check fitment. If all goes well, I will repeat these steps 3 more times to make molds for the other lenses.

Here are a few pics, note the compound curves, these follow the bumper contours exactly. As a side benefit the curves should also add some rigidity to the long narrow lens. Stay tuned.......

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 02-18-2016).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!

If you ever need to do body work or fill holes on the ultracal30, joint compound is the absolute best hands down
Gwhite18

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where's the like button?
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 02-19-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suspect the challenge is going to be improvising a method of mounting these relatively long "Formula" lenses securely without needing to modify/damage the nose itself.
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect the challenge is going to be improvising a method of mounting these relatively long "Formula" lenses securely without needing to modify/damage the nose itself.

Yep..... been thinking about a mounting method for a while.....not sure what to do yet. I think once I make an actual lens it will come to me. If anybody has a suggestion let me hear 'em.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So here we go. I used the plug I made as a guide to make an MDF template for cutting the acrylic blanks.

With the acrylic cut to approximate size, I attach it to the MDF with tape and run it through a spiral flush trim router bit to trim it to the exact size needed. Next I used a round over bit to to radius the edges of the acrylic so it fits the rounded sides of the opening. I did a few test runs experimenting with oven temp and time to get the best results and this is the finished prototype.

It fits nicely in the opening and is recessed only slightly from the surface to the bumper. Here are a couple profile pics of the finished cover showing the compound curves.

The benefit of using an MDF template and a router to cut my acrylic is that I just need to flip the template over to cut the opposite side. So now with a successful prototype made I just need to cast the forming molds for the right front and both rears and make a router template for the rear covers and I'll have them ready to sell. (Oh yeah, and figure out how to mount them). Stay tuned
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

(Oh yeah, and figure out how to mount them). Stay tuned

Just a little something to inspire you...

Manitou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManitouSend a Private Message to ManitouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd buy a set of front and rear cover for my 84 if you make them.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

I'd buy a set of front and rear cover for my 84 if you make them.

Been saying that myself since his last post in February 86 GT in my case though.....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

...since his last post in February

Maybe you guys would be interested in the following thread in the Mall... Front turn signal light covers
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't be making covers for the bumper pad cars or the rear GT reflectors, I just don't have the R&D time right now. I already have enough projects stacked up to keep me going til next summer. I may at some point but not right now. If someone wanted to make a mold and send it to me, I will form up covers for you.

Follow my sale thread in the mall for info and updates.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 10-11-2016).]

NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2023 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone making these now?
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2023 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to attempt thermoforming headlight lenses.

Planning on blowing the acrylic into the mold with air pressure instead of vacuum molding.

added this thread to my favorites and will probably be getting in touch with a couple of you guys when I really get started.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2023 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like these and I have some old fashioned looking truck lights that pass registration as have to show yellow or a turn signal and white for parking but could build behind these.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2023 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! It's hard to believe it has been so many years since I made these. I still have the aluminum molds on the shelf. We moved a couple years ago and my vacuum table didn't make it. Been thinking about trying to make these again....maybe if I have time this winter...
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2023 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Wow! It's hard to believe it has been so many years since I made these. I still have the aluminum molds on the shelf. We moved a couple years ago and my vacuum table didn't make it. Been thinking about trying to make these again....maybe if I have time this winter...

Certainly interested in at least a set of GT and formula.
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2023 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need a set of smoke covers!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock