Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Front turn signal light covers project (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Front turn signal light covers project by seajai
Started on: 01-09-2016 01:46 AM
Replies: 64 (3254 views)
Last post by: NightMare Cruiser on 09-10-2023 07:56 AM
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a project I'm working on which is going to involve thermoforming some acrylic sheets so I built myself a high-vacuum setup using an old Robinair pump and a 10 gallon reservoir tank.

This is my first venture into this realm so I thought I would start out with a little smaller part to learn the process and work out any bugs, so I decided to make some front turn signal covers for my GT.

First off I made a left and right side mold from 3/4" MDF and sanded it all the way up to 12,000 grit. I couldn't get a mirror finish but they are very close.

I picked up a free oven off of Craigslist to heat the acrylic. I am using 3mm (.118") material which takes about 5 minutes at 315deg to get to forming temp. With the reservoir tank pulled down to 28"hg, I lay the hot acrylic over the form and open the valve. The high vacuum pulls the acrylic tightly over the mold forming a tight radius around the edge. Here is a pic fresh off the form before trimming:

Left and right sides trimmed and ready for installation:

The problem I ran into on my car is, with the fiberglass chin spoiler mounted, I can't reach up to install retaining clips. My solution was to modify a couple of extruded "U" nuts and attach them to the opening with stainless flathead screws.

The covers pop into place from the outside and the clips seem to hold well.

The turn signal can be easily seen through the transparent smoke grey acrylic

All in all I've learned a lot so far and I'm looking forward to my main project. Pay no attention to the peeling Plasti-Dip in the pics , I damaged the hood and bumper at the end of the season and I need to peel and respray them.

I don't believe anybody is currently selling these so I was thinking about making more of them to sell if anyone is interested in a pair. I can do them in clear and smoke for sure, could do other colors provided I can find small pieces without having to buy a 4'x8' sheet. I could also provide the modified screw and mounting clips. Let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-09-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those are nice... but on a Formula they'd look even sweeter.

I'd love to see smoked ones made for the '87-'88 coupe/Formula that would fill in the entire "sunken" space as indicated below.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice project and idea.

Can't see many wouldn't like this.

Having these made clear is a good option.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't be too tough to do, my table is 24x36 so it would fit. I'll see if I can get my mitts on a bumper cover and whip up some molds.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool! This is EXACTLY why I always wondered what the big deal is for the clear portion of the tail lights, or quarter windows. Like you said you never did anything like this before. You took an old air pump, an air can, a Craig's list consumer FREE oven and wala! a perfect product the very first try.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Wouldn't be too tough to do, my table is 24x36 so it would fit. I'll see if I can get my mitts on a bumper cover and whip up some molds.

Great.

Being longer than the GT style cover, the challenge might be how to best attach and/or support the inner (towards the middle of the bumper) end of the cover.
spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are nice. Keith Munson made them years ago and I have a set. Sorry that Keith died from cancer serveral years ago. Keep up the good work.
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look great! good job. When will you have a set to sell and what price you looking to get. I'm in for a set of smoked ones
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! I have been looking for something like this for awhile. Was think about trying to fabricate something, but I lack the time, skills, patience, work space and funds.

These look GREAT! Let me know when your ready to get them for sale, put me down for a set (GT).

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be in for a Formula type (Front & back )... PFF member Fiero2m8 did some for his fiero.. see Here his construction link

Chris Munson used a retainer to hold his light covers on... they are still available GM # 15999788

regards
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 01-09-2016).]

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

They look great! good job. When will you have a set to sell and what price you looking to get. I'm in for a set of smoked ones

I'll work on making a few more this weekend. For a price I'm thinking $45 a pair shipped with the modified mounting clips and screws and $40 a pair without the clips/screws. (Shipping to Canada would be higher). If you don't want to drill your bumper and can reach up from underneath, you can just go to the hardware store and get an extruded "U" nut and use it as an attachment clip. They can be had for around 50 cents each.

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bit of a small concern for making smoked ones for the rear bumper:

The front turn signal covers look amazing, and I would love to get a pair if I did not have a custom bumper

On the back of the car however, those are not lights, as we all know, but reflectors, basically a safety device. Covering the reflectors, would not let enough light in and back out I wouldn't think for them to work as intended. In a worse case scenario of being on the side of the road at night, it would make the car harder to see for oncoming traffic. NO, I am NOT pulling the DOT card here, as I could care less about that when I do tasteful upgrades to my car, and will take my chances. Although I am certain someone will come out of their cave to chime in here and start quoting state or federal DOT regulations on why people should not cover up their turn signals, and how you will spend 20 years in jail for doing it I was just bringing up a small safety concern is all, nothing more.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I would see just how much the cover affects the light. Here are a couple of pics showing the rear reflector lit up with my camera flash to compare uncovered and covered. The smoked acrylic is listed as transparent and does let a lot of light through when backlit, but as you can see by the pics, it does block some reflected light. Looks like I need to make some rear ones too

No cover:

Cover:

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Chris! I'd be interested in the rear covers if your make extras. Your fronts looks great I just already have some
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hardpact makes/made them here.

Your mounting method may be better.
MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for a front GT clear set without hardware.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get my hands on a front and rear formula bumper today. I will work on getting some molds made and try and figure out how to attach them to the bumper without screws.

Also, I have run into a bit of an issue with my MDF molds that I can't seem to remedy so I am going to remake them in aluminum. If all goes according to plan I will have some ready to go in a few days.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

If all goes according to plan I will have some ready to go in a few days.

Damn, you don't mess around.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would definatley like a set!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw a set of these at the MN Holiday party that seajai made for the GT nose, very very nice!
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work seajai! Those look awesome!! I bought a set from a forum member here a few years back, I think it was hardpact was his name, and yours look WAY smoother! I don't know if his vacuum setup wasn't up to par or if his plug wasn't smooth enough but they were wavy.
PFF
System Bot
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. I redneck engineered some for my first fiero, but that looks great. Id probably be interested in a set
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

I'd be in for a Formula type (Front & back )... PFF member Fiero2m8 did some for his fiero.. see Here his construction link

Chris Munson used a retainer to hold his light covers on... they are still available GM # 15999788

GM # 15999788 look like this...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2016 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update: Work is progressing on the aluminum molds, it's definitely been a lot more work to shape the aluminum than I thought it would be. I ended up making an MDF pattern and using my router with a spiral flush trim cutter to machine the shape.

I still need to make another jig so I can machine the curve on the face of the mold to match the curve on the bumper but this is what they look like so far. It's hard to see it in the pics but there is about a 3deg draft angle on the sides.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 01-12-2016).]

Supracoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. I'm up for a clear set with hardware as well.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2016 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really nice bro. I would be interested in a smoked set. To bad you didn't have these available a few weeks ago because you could of sent them to me with the other stuff you sold me. Seajai is a great guy to deal with. I knew I'd be buying something from him again sooner or later.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2016 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One mold done and one to go.

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want a set! need them shipped to Canada. PM me when you have them ready!!!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, very nice. Any plans to do this for the f355/Amida bumpers?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping to order a smoked pair from the GT rear bumper. It will give a much cleaner appearance for sure!

I hope Rodney doesn't come in this thread asking for proof that these lenses are real

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Wow, very nice. Any plans to do this for the f355/Amida bumpers?

I don't, but if you wanted to make a mold and send it to me, I could make a couple covers for you.

PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I am hoping to order a smoked pair from the GT rear bumper. It will give a much cleaner appearance for sure!

I hope Rodney doesn't come in this thread asking for proof that these lenses are real

hahahahaha ........... is SEAJAI a girl or guy .............. anyways I am sure they will be produced because THE MOLDS AREN'T FOR SALE !!!!!!!

I'd be in for a pair ... but I have a Formula !!!
regards to all
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in for a smoked set front and rear for my 88 coupe!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what can't one make an overlay like this to cover the GT lenses?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2016 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I have a 10 lie minimum before I might state my opinion(s). I see no lies here. I see someone doing an excellent job.

Rodney
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One maybe two sets. Based on price!!

------------------
It's a CAR, now drive it!!
http://s1277.beta.photobuck...50016365924013387734

After all the work, It's time to drive it!!

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running into an issue with the lenses. The originals I made for my car had some small pock marks on the inside of the lens after they came off of the mold. I figured it was from the MDF molds having bits of wood fibers sticking up, so that's why I remade them in aluminum. The problem is, the pock marks persist, even with the aluminum molds. I don't think it's dust because I've cleaned the living daylights out of everything. The marks are not really noticeable on the smoked ones but they show up more on the clear ones. The outer surface of the lens is smooth as glass, it's the inside that's giving me fits. I really don't want to sell them like they are so I'm going to take a little more time to get them perfect before I make them available.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Preheat your molds and dry your acrylic. Acrylic is hygroscopic. If it is fresh, you may not need to do this, but if it has been sitting for a long time the sheets can absorb moisture and will need to be dried. Also, If your molds are cold, they will create moisture pockets when the hot acrylic hits the aluminum.

You can also do a thin sheet of styrene first, and pull over that.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 01-17-2016).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try adjusting your heat setting .You might be a little too hot .I would like a set of smoke ones myself so the pock marks would not matter to me .
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

I would like a set of smoke ones myself so the pock marks would not matter to me .

Ditto - I'm still in for a set of smoked, these look great!

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: