Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone seen this before? V6 Intake cover (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone seen this before? V6 Intake cover by lurtz
Started on: 10-25-2015 09:56 AM
Replies: 90 (3325 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 11-09-2016 08:40 AM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
So you believe those to be current pictures and the ancient carphone is still hanging there... along with the aftermarket cassette deck and this equally old radar detector?

And I realize some Fieros never had it done, but looking at the air filter snorkel and the decklid weatherstripping, I'd say this Fiero was pre-recall.

I'm really curious now how old all those images are.

Well, just because the things are there, doesn't mean they're used. The 93K miles could have been put on in the first 15 years. Radar detectors are illegal here anyway, so it wouldn't matter how old it was, unless you had it turned on so you could get a ticket for it.

The air intake tube is obviously aftermarket, and it looks like a braided hose was used to connect the PCV to the tube instead of at the air filter housing. Perhaps the recall was done on the car, and then later the owner re-installed a piece of weatherstrip? Certainly a possibility, given there are obvious aftermarket things on the car, and it's something that's been done many times on here before.

I grabbed one of the pictures and the metadata in it claims it was taken Oct 13 2015, on a Nikon D3000, at r/3.5, with an 18mm lens, no flash, 200 ISO, and 1/30th second exposure time. The Nikon D3000 was released in 2009, so even if the date inside the image is a lie, it's unlikely the pictures are older than 2009 at least.
IP: Logged
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I grabbed one of the pictures and the metadata in it claims it was taken Oct 13 2015, on a Nikon D3000, at r/3.5, with an 18mm lens, no flash, 200 ISO, and 1/30th second exposure time. The Nikon D3000 was released in 2009, so even if the date inside the image is a lie, it's unlikely the pictures are older than 2009 at least.

I'm surprised the metadata is still available on these images (after they've been re-sized etc), but that was a good idea to check for it.

Call me suspicious, but I wonder if the metadata can be altered/faked.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2015 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm surprised the metadata is still available on these images (after they've been re-sized etc), but that was a good idea to check for it.

Call me suspicious, but I wonder if the metadata can be altered/faked.

The metadata can be faked, for sure. But if it's fake, someone went through a whole lot of work to specify all the details, so I doubt it is.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it more likely that this is an estate sale, and the car has been sitting in a showroom for the last 20 years? I'm thinking that the owner liked his car phone....(I liked mine back in the day)....and now that he is gone, the widow is just going to get rid of the '....... thing'.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The metadata can be faked, for sure. But if it's fake, someone went through a whole lot of work to specify all the details, so I doubt it is.

I checked the three images that I had downloaded... just to make sure the same metadata hadn't been given to all of them. It was different for each image, so I guess they're legit.

The car appears to be a rolling time capsule.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have similar to these but they are only 1/2" thick. I was worried about hitting the deck lid as mentioned. They are made of aluminum and are CNC'd... I drafted up the drawing and gave it to a friend of mine to cut them out. They are gasket matched also.. I love'em. My thought was not only increase the volume in the plenum for torque due to the longer runner length, I felt that the added height would help the air flow in that tight bend area where they insert.. Smoother transitioning down the tubes, the better the flow.

------------------

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 10-28-2015).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006

See if this works

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 10-27-2015).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

See if this works

Nice....and how much?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have similar to these but they are only 1/2" thick. I was worried about hitting the deck lid as mentioned. They are made of aluminum and are CNC'd... I drafted up the drawing and gave it to a friend of mine to cut them out.

Sweet. Might your friend be interested in making more? If so, could he make them thicker than 1/2"?

The thicker the spacers can be made (without clearance problems), the better. What we need to do is figure out an effective way of actually measuring clearance between the top of the entire upper intake plenum and the underside of our decklids. It's quite possible I imagine for this clearance to be somewhat different from Fiero to Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-27-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need to get terms correct here, that does not increase plenum size, it increases runner length, I would go the opposite route like the 3.4 did, like the Fiero needs more bottom end at the sacrifice of top end. I do like the idea of phenolic spacers/gaskets as I hate the heat my intake puts off. That alone would be worth more than any spacer.

Edit to add: Draw out a design, WTF, you hand them a gasket, done deal, simple.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-28-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I would go the opposite route like the 3.4 did...

What "route" is that? I'm unfamiliar with the intake on the 3.4 engine and how it differs from the Fiero's 2.8 intake.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-28-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think he'll be interested.. He did it at work and was all secret about it.. I wish he could do other things for us too... But... Anyway.

I thought that if I did it in a CAD program, he could just transfer the file to what he needed.. And upload it to the CNC. No extra work for him really... Discreet at the work place... Besides.. I wanted some fun in making them too!

I actually have a 3.4L swap...with some work.... Is that what you meant to offset sacrifice?

I always thought that the plenum is the total of the three parts? Not just the top... Cubic volume of air is more with the spacers.. Like a throttle body spacer?

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
double post sorry.... But I'd did edit my explanation in my first post above.. :|

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What "route" is that? I'm unfamiliar with the intake on the 3.4 engine and how it differs from the Fiero's 2.8 intake.

The 3.4 intake did away with the top intake and went with dual plenums, thus making the runners 2/3rds as long.
PIP won't work right now for me, google 3.4 intake
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I actually have a 3.4L swap...with some work.... Is that what you meant to offset sacrifice?

I always thought that the plenum is the total of the three parts? Not just the top... Cubic volume of air is more with the spacers.. Like a throttle body spacer?

He meant the top plenum on the F-body 3.4 is a Y shape, rathere than a big rectangle type piece.

Yes, the plenum volume is total volume of the intake manifold, from heads to throttle plate.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

The 3.4 intake did away with the top intake and went with dual plenums, thus making the runners 2/3rds as long.

Oh, that intake. Yeah, I've seen it plenty of times here.

Do you believe the 3.4 intake has less plenum volume?

Originally posted by DefEddie in This thread:

And the upper from the Camaro next to the mid/upper from the Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-28-2015).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those risers look sweet.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In talking the top intake portion of the plenum, I'd like to take Chris's concept from West Coast Fiero .... http://www.westcoastfiero.c...ake_manifold_60.html .... And make the center portion a rectangle instead of a round tube body.. A little higher than stock for more volume and with the larger throttle body they use.. But then CNC the cut graphics (Fiero name logo and the grooves for the top ) to make it look back to somewhat stock.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
I think I'll actually talk to Chris about it and see if he'd like the challenge
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

make the center portion a rectangle instead of a round tube body.. A little higher than stock for more volume...

I suspect if you wanted to do that along with using the spacers, that you'd probably have clearance problems with your decklid for sure (depending on the thickness of the spacers of course).

Using the spacers gives you added room under the plenum. Why not drop the plenum floor instead (as was done with the custom plenum pictured earlier)?
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured since the engrave risers are about an inch thick from the start of the thread, I could take the difference on the top portion of the plenum and my already 1/2" risers.... Going for more room at the bottom takes away from my hand reaching in for fine tune adjustments on my adjustable fuel regulator... But I could be wrong

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1098194
I didn't check to make sure the file was scaled corectly but if anyone wants to have one machined, here's a file that could be used.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 10-28-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So... just a bump in case someone might've been machining a few of these in their shop over the winter. Autocross season is coming up.

We had quite a bit of discussion on these a few months ago. Anyone taken it to the next level?

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many of us have retrofitted the decklid recall strip. Maybe he did, too. With aftermarket intake snorkels, other mods may need be done, ie, the rebreather tube. I see a braided rebreather tube coming in just in front of the throttlebody. The pics could have been taken last decade or last week.

Edited to explain that I'm on a little cell phone and can't see the whole page and have it legible. I didn't see page 2. My comment was in responce to Patrick's October post about age of the photos.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-31-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Edited to explain that I'm on a little cell phone and can't see the whole page and have it legible. I didn't see page 2. My comment was in responce to Patrick's October post about age of the photos.

Charlie, this thread is five months old and that car on eBay is long gone. I bumped this thread just to talk about those intake spacers.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I posted and there was something different above than what I posted about, I expanded the screen to see the date of your post. That's when I discovered page 2 and the dates. My phone is small enough to fit between the base of my thumb and the tip of my finger, thus a very small screen.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

My phone is small enough to fit between the base of my thumb and the tip of my finger, thus a very small screen.

You need one of these.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nvm

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 03-31-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm still hoping that someone has secretly been working on these and might now wish to post their experience.

We had quite a bit of discussion on these a few months ago. Anyone taken it to the next level?

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You would be correct. Notice the reflection in the mirror. It's a digital camera:
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Notice the reflection in the mirror. It's a digital camera...

Not that it matters a great deal... but how can you tell that this is a "digital" camera from the reflection in the mirror. Looks to me much like any 35mm SLR camera from the 1980's.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-01-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not that it matters a great deal... but how can you tell that this is a "digital" camera from the reflection in the mirror. Looks to me much like any 35mm SLR camera from the 1980's.

Modern SLRs and old SLRs look pretty much the same from the front. The Nikon D3000 is a digital SLR. Given the quality of the photo, and the metadata in it, along with fact that scanning photographs tends to result in obvious flaws in the digital image, it's pretty clear.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the spacer the result is purely aesthetic and the result is a restrictive plenum with a slightly higher look.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

metadata

This is all very interesting... but I resurrected this thread to discuss the intake spacers!

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

With the spacer the result is purely aesthetic and the result is a restrictive plenum with a slightly higher look.

A "higher" upper intake is exactly what I'm after...

I'd rather run a secondary throttle body as mentioned HERE.

Using spacers as discussed in this current thread would allow me to run a tube from the secondary throttle body to the underside of the plenum... which is an option that wasn't available with the upper plenum mounted in it's usual stock location.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-02-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2016 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No. It increases plenum volume and makes the transition from the upper plenum smoother by adding a short "straight" after the curve, which splits the very tight ~120 degree transition into a 90 degree transition and then a 30 degree transition. While it won't give any huge power increases, it is not "purely aesthetic" either.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2016 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No. It increases plenum volume and makes the transition from the upper plenum smoother by adding a short "straight" after the curve, which splits the very tight ~120 degree transition into a 90 degree transition and then a 30 degree transition. While it won't give any huge power increases, it is not "purely aesthetic" either.

My point was that spacer or not you still have the same size intake passages to deal with. I can understand that the air flow from top to middle will be smoother but will the flow increase? Will adding the spacer really translate into any power increase or just shift the power curve a bit? I don't have the answer but do agree that the difference should be small.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My point was that spacer or not you still have the same size intake passages to deal with. I can understand that the air flow from top to middle will be smoother but will the flow increase? Will adding the spacer really translate into any power increase or just shift the power curve a bit? I don't have the answer but do agree that the difference should be small.

Yes, the flow will increase, but only maybe 1-2 CFM at most, and perhaps not necessarily in the lift range of the camshaft. At the very least, having the larger plenum volume will slightly improve throttle response. But yes, beyond that, the difference is unlikely to be enough that one would "feel" it in the driver seat, without additional changes.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2016 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

, but mostly these spacers are a waste of money.

or a great way to hide a fogger system..
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2016 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Modern SLRs and old SLRs look pretty much the same from the front. The Nikon D3000 is a digital SLR. Given the quality of the photo, and the metadata in it, along with fact that scanning photographs tends to result in obvious flaws in the digital image, it's pretty clear.

Most stopped scanning photo's years ago. and use a made for this jig that holds the DSLR and you snap a photo of a photo.. no idea if it was,, but just throwing it out there..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock