2.8 Intake options by Harley95
Started on: 12-01-2014 06:34 PM
Replies: 16 (677 views)
Last post by: Harley95 on 12-03-2014 01:07 PM
Harley95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to hunt down some options for a replacement for the 2.8's stock plenum, I'd love to get a Trueleo but I'm not having any luck finding one. any advice would be great. I also tried westcostfiero but I can't get the website to work??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://westcoastfieros.com/ works for me....

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NW-Fiero:

http://westcoastfieros.com/ works for me....

there's two, westcoastfiero.com and westcoastfieros.com, I just got it to work. I'd like to stick with something that would use the stock throttle body like the Trueleo intake.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a mod I made to my intake with flow numbers. You can see how the under side was enlarged at the choke point. The throttle body and intake were milled out also for increased flow. The intake is installed on a 3.4pr.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/118417.html

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd rather ditch the stock intake rather then try to bore it
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Harley95:

I'm trying to hunt down some options for a replacement for the 2.8's stock plenum...

If I can get my buddy with a decent home shop interested in this idea, this is how I wanted to deal with the 2.8 intake issue...

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

Perhaps I'll eventually start my own thread on this if it's a viable idea, but this thread has some relevant info in it, so...

From what I understand, the Fiero's stock intake has quite a restriction in the neck. The engine therefore runs out of steam at high RPMs. I use my 5-spd '88 Formula to autocross, so I'd like a few extra ponies without having to entertain an engine swap.

Various methods have been employed to deal with this flow restriction issue, such as enlarging the neck of the intake. I'm not interested in going that route.

I've relocated my battery to the front, and the old battery location is all cleaned out. Something needs to go there.

I'm interested in a installing a secondary throttle body, but one that's only employed for wide open throttle (WOT).

I'm not interested in having same-sized dual throttle bodies that are synched together. I feel that this complicates proper tuning. With my idea, the secondary throttle body (smaller in size/CFM) would be mounted over on the passenger side of the intake and wouldn't start to open at all until perhaps 3/4 full throttle. There's probably a "best" time for it to begin to open, and that's hopefully what can be determined here.

A few questions then.

1) With a stock (and/or mildly tweaked) 2.8, what flow/CFM is required at WOT?

2) And what does the stock throttle body/intake supply?

This info would allow me to choose an appropriate sized secondary throttle body or valve of sort sort. (Suggestions of what to use are welcome.)

3) I've heard that at some point, the ECM just basically dumps gas at WOT. When exactly does that occur...

4) And perhaps more importantly, what determines when the ECM dumps gas at WOT?

This info would allow me to hopefully configure when the secondary throttle body/valve should best be opened.

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If I can get my buddy with a decent home shop interested in this idea, this is how I wanted to deal with the 2.8 intake issue...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

Perhaps I'll eventually start my own thread on this if it's a viable idea, but this thread has some relevant info in it, so...

From what I understand, the Fiero's stock intake has quite a restriction in the neck. The engine therefore runs out of steam at high RPMs. I use my 5-spd '88 Formula to autocross, so I'd like a few extra ponies without having to entertain an engine swap.

Various methods have been employed to deal with this flow restriction issue, such as enlarging the neck of the intake. I'm not interested in going that route.

I've relocated my battery to the front, and the old battery location is all cleaned out. Something needs to go there.

I'm interested in a installing a secondary throttle body, but one that's only employed for wide open throttle (WOT).

I'm not interested in having same-sized dual throttle bodies that are synched together. I feel that this complicates proper tuning. With my idea, the secondary throttle body (smaller in size/CFM) would be mounted over on the passenger side of the intake and wouldn't start to open at all until perhaps 3/4 full throttle. There's probably a "best" time for it to begin to open, and that's hopefully what can be determined here.

A few questions then.

1) With a stock (and/or mildly tweaked) 2.8, what flow/CFM is required at WOT?

2) And what does the stock throttle body/intake supply?

This info would allow me to choose an appropriate sized secondary throttle body or valve of sort sort. (Suggestions of what to use are welcome.)

3) I've heard that at some point, the ECM just basically dumps gas at WOT. When exactly does that occur...

4) And perhaps more importantly, what determines when the ECM dumps gas at WOT?

This info would allow me to hopefully configure when the secondary throttle body/valve should best be opened.

[/QUOTE]

that seems really familiar for some reason, maybe I've read it before. I was looking for something like a Trueleo for when I do a lot of my engine rebuilding. the 2.8 is getting a new Crane 272 cam, 1.52:1 roller rockers, stronger Push-rods, new valve springs, roller timing chain. so a good intake would be essential, and ideally I'd like to get a Trueleo, but its my understanding they're still halted on new orders.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Harley95:

that seems really familiar for some reason, maybe I've read it before.

It's possible you read it in the original thread that I posted it in.

As far as I can recollect, no one else at PFF has ever suggested mounting a smaller secondary throttle body on a 2.8 factory intake which would only open at WOT. Maybe that's because it's a lame idea , but I'd sure love to try it and find out for myself.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-01-2014).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's what I was thinking, I think I read your original thread.
WHEELIE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WHEELIEClick Here to visit WHEELIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHEELIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link to my post on a dual tb. I have been running it for 8 years and it works. I increased the fp regulator a few lbs with no other tuning. It runs good, has a good kick above 4000 rpm , gets 28+ mpg highway 20 around town. This is an auto and should be better with a stick. Sorry, no dyno or proof just a good seat of the pants feel.
Wheelie

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-070605.html

------------------
WHEELER'S PERFORMANCE MOTORCYCLE SHOP NEAR DEALS GAP
check out TAILOFTHEDRAGON.COM
318 curves in 11 miles
#1 RED 85 GT ... GONE still in the area and for sale, needs work
# 2 white 86 gt fastback project.
UPDATE 3/03 IT LIVES!!
UPDATE 12/03 3.4 dohc is here,this winter's project
12/04 still this winter's project
12/05 still this winters project
01/06 96 3.4 dohc engine is in! full length headers built,al flywheel, 5 speed,konis,coilovers, n* throttle body this thing kicks *SS whoo hoo!! OBD2 ,HP tuner. magnaflow 2.5, ,400lb springs,88 cradle,245/17 rear,
I AM NOT ADDICTED.... BUT
Now # 2 formula project.
runs but needs work(so what's new?)
# 3 86 gt BLACK it's an auto I want a 5 speed
used engine is in and runs, 2012. Been driving for 2 years, dual throttle bodies, roller rockers, 2 1/2 magnaflow... still auto. AND NOW for 2012/2013 a kitcar!! I found an 88 SCORPION.and it's red! I found a GREAT engine for this, 96 3800 sc NEW on the crate never been run, it now has a 4 speed, al flywheel,3.4 pully powerlog etc etc

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WHEELIE:

Here is a link to my post on a dual tb. I have been running it for 8 years and it works. I increased the fp regulator a few lbs with no other tuning. It runs good, has a good kick above 4000 rpm , gets 28+ mpg highway 20 around town. This is an auto and should be better with a stick. Sorry, no dyno or proof just a good seat of the pants feel.
Wheelie

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-070605.html

thanks Wheelie but I wasn't looking for a dual TB setup
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WHEELIE:

Here is a link to my post on a dual tb. I have been running it for 8 years and it works. I increased the fp regulator a few lbs with no other tuning. It runs good, has a good kick above 4000 rpm , gets 28+ mpg highway 20 around town.

OH! NO! I have a 49 mm hole in my plenum

Ah yes, I remember that thread. It helped to inspire my goal of mounting a second (smaller) TB elsewhere on the 2.8 intake manifold, although for some reason I didn't currently realize you had still used the original TB as well. I thought you were running just the TB on the top. Thanks for clarifying that.

Instead of a mechanical linkage between TBs, did you ever consider controlling the secondary TB using some sort of vacuum device, like the vacuum operated secondaries on some 4-bbl carbs?

I don't want to have the decklid clearance issues that you face with your top mounted TB, hence my desire to add a second "neck" on the passenger side of the manifold to attach the secondary TB. Right now it's just a pipe dream (pardon the pun), but maybe some day...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-02-2014).]

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dual TBs would be cool but I was just looking for something like a Trueleo intake that would produce better flow numbers over stock
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Francis Trueleo is prototyping a dual TB plenum intake that he hopes to sell as a kit that can be welded at home (or a local shop). I'm sure he will post a progress report as the work starts.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume you have already made the exhaust manifold & Y pipe mods to open up the flow at that end... 10-15 HP gain reported .

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
she's got aftermarket exhaust headers
Harley95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Harley95Send a Private Message to Harley95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock