OH! NO! I have a 49 mm hole in my plenum by WHEELIE
Started on: 02-08-2006 11:01 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Pyrthian on 02-09-2006 01:39 PM
WHEELIE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WHEELIEClick Here to visit WHEELIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHEELIEDirect Link to This Post

What do I do now?
I could cover it with one of these I suppose

Which started as one of these

I found these all over the pick a part lot. They come on some sort of chrysler v-6./ Only one side has idle valve and other stuff, this side has nothing but a throttle plate.Bore is 45 mm.
This was supposed to be a simple fast swap with a stock engine. So far I have ported stock exhaust, morse bored 57 mm TB,1.6 roller rockers, ,poly mounts,morse cradle bushings and plans for a 2.5 exhaust,cat delete.Too bad it's an auto....but I have a shift kit too!

------------------
WHEELER'S PERFORMANCE MOTORCYCLE SHOP NEAR DEALS GAP
check out TAILOFTHEDRAGON.COM
318 curves in 11 miles
#1 RED 85 GT MY DEAL'S GAP DRAGON SLAYER
# 2 white 86 gt fastback project.
UPDATE 3/03 IT LIVES!! 6 months,many broken bolts and only two engine fires later!! ... needs 3.4 anybody got one for sale?
UPDATE 12/03 3.4 dohc is here,this winter's project
12/04 still this winter's project
#3-84 parts car.. for sale $50
#4-84 se parts? project? for sale $100
I AM NOT ADDICTED.... BUT
Now # 5 formula project.
runs but needs work(so what's new?)
# 6 2/05 update FIERO # 6 86 GT BLACK It runs but needs work like a new engine!! damn !! It's an auto I want a 5 speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
or couldnt you just make a plate out of stainless steel and seal it with RTV sealent or something. (unless you want 2 TB's)

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30,Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.9@99mph as it is on the street

355/380hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras, lol.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well, thats a new approach to the dual throttle body. I am assuming you are going dual, because the stock is 52, so 49 is a step backwards - tho not having to squeeze thru the plenum neck is a good thing. any plans on how its going to actuate? air filter?
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Actually, if you can avoid the neck, it is a net gain, even at 49 mm.

What I don't understand is, if you have gone this far, why not use both of them? There appears to be room. Now that would be awesome.

You might want a scoop though.

Arn

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking the same thing: dual TB's stickin' out the decklid with a cowling for the air filter.
WHEELIE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2006 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WHEELIEClick Here to visit WHEELIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHEELIEDirect Link to This Post
I planned on dual, naturally. I would hate to cut a hole in my decklid because this is a really clean 86 gt. If this works I could see a small scoop. Now I plan to have a thin round foam air filter from a motorcycle. This will seal against the decklid when closed. I only have about 1 inch clearance above the TB.
Throttle actuation will be adjustable for travel and point of operation. I am going to start it opening about 3/4 throttle and will also vary the total amount of opening. The car should run normal up to this point and kick in like a 4 barrel after 3/4 throttle.At first I will have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for tuning but I think I will have to have tuning capability for the stock ecm to make this work. Any recommendations for this?
This really was too easy. I welded the grooves on top of the plenum then machined flat and bored a hole. This was the easiest way I could see to get more air past the stock plenum neck.
Plus these TB's were all over the place in the junk yard. I only paid $20 each.
wheelie
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2006 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
you will of course need a custom chip made. especially if you plan the "secondaries" type setup. the fuel delivery is based on a straight curve for the throttle, and it takes into account the restrictions of the stock system by really cutting down on the fuel in the upper R's

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock