Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone seen this before? V6 Intake cover (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone seen this before? V6 Intake cover by lurtz
Started on: 10-25-2015 09:56 AM
Replies: 90 (3315 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 11-09-2016 08:40 AM
lurtz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was browsing eBay and found this vehicle for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...8f&item=121788866519

If you scroll through the pictures you will see an upper intake manifold cover with Pontiac written in the same script as "fiero". Does anybody have any info on this build? I find it to be really unique.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to be an intake spacer between the upper and lower plenum. Never seen one before, wonder if it actually improves performance.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW. This car is beautiful....

I wonder what the spacer does (besides increase access to the vacuum lines)?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-25-2015).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are asking $12,000. My initial was... But, after a viewing, I was like... Very pretty car.

Cool intake spacers. Just when you think that you have seen it all...
lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems that the prices for fieros is on the rise. Im not saying that you cant find good clean examples at a decent price, but the deals are few and far between. I dont think I would pay over 10k for a fiero at this time, but as time and mileage make more and more of these clean cars rare I may eat my words!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
WOW. This car is beautiful....

I wonder what the spacer does (besides increase access to the vacuum lines)?

Primarily, there are two "benefits" to a spacer like this. It increases the total plenum volume, and it increases the individual runner length. The additional plenum volume should allow a little more peak RPM, and the runner length should allow a slight increase in torque.

I've not seen such spacers made for a 2.8 intake before. There used to be a few items on the market though, for the TPI intakes, with different runners, since the TPI runners were just bolt-on pieces between the long rectangular plenum, and the lower intake manifold. Interesting to see such a thing on a Fiero, but mostly these spacers are a waste of money.
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting..........time to put the tools to work.

[This message has been edited by bkw88 (edited 10-25-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Primarily, there are two "benefits" to a spacer like this. It increases the total plenum volume, and it increases the individual runner length. The additional plenum volume should allow a little more peak RPM, and the runner length should allow a slight increase in torque.

I've not seen such spacers made for a 2.8 intake before. There used to be a few items on the market though, for the TPI intakes, with different runners, since the TPI runners were just bolt-on pieces between the long rectangular plenum, and the lower intake manifold. Interesting to see such a thing on a Fiero, but mostly these spacers are a waste of money.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I PM'd Matt from the mall. He is the one selling custom billet dogbones to see if he would be interested in making these spacers. Even if it is aesthetic only, they look great. This is what Matt makes:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/072108.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-25-2015).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 99% sure this car was for sale on the Western Illinois Craigslist for months (I check it every day) priced at $6500 and the seller warned it was going to an auction soon. The car had about 94,000 miles per the ad and I specifically remember the silver Pontiac emblem on the upper plenum.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess the obvious limitation to the height/volume of the spacers would be clearance with the decklid.

If someone could produce sets of spacers at a reasonable cost, I'd be very interested.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious, did the speedometer in the 85 GT only read up to 85 mph?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-25-2015).]

lurtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I am pretty sure all 85 v6 had 85 speedos. Due to the national speed limit law of 1974 vehicles could only go up to 85 in all American vehicles. This included vettes, trans ams, etc. I think around 1981 NHTSA talked about lightening the rules regarding the speedos as they did little to curb speeding. In 86 the speedos went up and up and now we have 4 cylinder KIAS having 140 speedos. HAHA.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Yes. There was no 120 MPH speedo until 1986.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Patrick:
I guess the obvious limitation to the height/volume of the spacers would be clearance with the decklid.

If someone could produce sets of spacers at a reasonable cost, I'd be very interested.

For someone with a small CNC mill, it should be very cheap to produce such spacers (without any GM logos/names on them), in either aluminum or delrin, depending on thickness.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by fierosound:
http://2-photos2.ebizautos....2549/14272549_50.jpg

Not sure why you replied quoting my post, with only this picture of the same car in question. It still remains the only Fiero I've seen with any such spacers.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For someone with a small CNC mill, it should be very cheap to produce such spacers (without any GM logos/names on them), in either aluminum or delrin, depending on thickness.

Out of curiosity, I googled and read a few sites where Delrin versus Aluminum was discussed, such as HERE.

My five minutes of education on the subject would suggest that aluminum would be the preferred choice for these spacers.

It wouldn't be totally out of the question for an individual to make their own spacers using nothing but a hack saw, power drill and a file... but yeah, the proper tool for the job would certainly make the process a whole lot easier.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurtz:

I am pretty sure all 85 v6 had 85 speedos. Due to the national speed limit law of 1974 vehicles could only go up to 85 in all American vehicles. This included vettes, trans ams, etc. I think around 1981 NHTSA talked about lightening the rules regarding the speedos as they did little to curb speeding. In 86 the speedos went up and up and now we have 4 cylinder KIAS having 140 speedos. HAHA.

I was thinking that but wasn't positive so wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly. I swear I had asked that before but couldn't remember for sure.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-25-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Out of curiosity, I googled and read a few sites where Delrin versus Aluminum was discussed, such as HERE.

My five minutes of education on the subject would suggest that aluminum would be the preferred choice for these spacers.

It wouldn't be totally out of the question for an individual to make their own spacers using nothing but a hack saw, power drill and a file... but yeah, the proper tool for the job would certainly make the process a whole lot easier.

I mentioned delrin because some phenolic spacers for carbs are made from it. Maybe I'll design and make some to sell, if I can get enough money to get the ball rolling smoothly on that project of mine too.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I mentioned delrin because some phenolic spacers for carbs are made from it.

I hope you haven't misinterpreted my post... delrin was most definitely a worthwhile suggestion. It simply appears that aluminum for this application would probably be superior and/or cheaper.

Maybe I'll design and make some to sell...

It would be interesting to get a ballpark figure from someone with a CNC mill (and the time/desire) on the possible cost of such spacers. We've got to be realistic and acknowledge that any power increase from their use would probably be minimal, so that's ultimately going to limit how much anyone would be willing to pay for them.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2015).]

Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was the fiero store or west coast fieros in business in the late 80s? I had a fiero performance parts catalog in 88 that had some unique pieces like this. Wish I had kept that catalog. It definitely would give you more torque on the 2.8 .

[This message has been edited by Silvertown (edited 10-25-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From what I gather in the discussion here, the power gains made with longer intake runners apply to an intake system which is "dry" (injectors near the intake valve) the same way as they do with a "wet" (TBI or carburetted) system? Is that correct?
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to remember the guys name who did these. Larry Johnson ring a bell? I think he was in the Iowa area. I'm reaching back for this one. I remember him attending several STL shows back in the 2001, 2002, 2003 time period. First class stuff. He did a lot of other CNC things too. I have a few buddies that would know for sure. I probably have a picture of his works of art around here somewhere.

Found it!

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking spacers, I would be a buyer if the price was close to a hundred or less.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I'm trying to remember the guys name who did these. Larry Johnson ring a bell?

I ran a search of his name and came up with a few things, including the following thread. No surprise, it appears this spacer idea has been discussed before...

Performance intake upgrade $35.00

Anyone disagree with the following...

Originally posted by Oreif:

Making the radii rounder can make the air flow easier, But lengthening the runner length reduces flow a little at the high rpm range.

What it will do is to increase low end torque and cut back on high rpm power.

I enlarged and cropped the image with all the custom manifolds. It's interesting to note that the manifold with the attached spacers has also had the plenum floor dropped.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2015).]

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I'm trying to remember the guys name who did these. Larry Johnson ring a bell? I think he was in the Iowa area. I'm reaching back for this one. I remember him attending several STL shows back in the 2001, 2002, 2003 time period. First class stuff. He did a lot of other CNC things too. I have a few buddies that would know for sure. I probably have a picture of his works of art around here somewhere.

Paul, you're right, it was Larry Johnson. I'm willing to bet that Fred could tell you more about these pieces, and if they're still available or not.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like I said above, I PM'd Matt who makes these:

I'm sure he may be able to whip something up if there is enough interest.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-25-2015).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10260 posts
Member since Aug 2007

I enlarged and cropped the image with all the custom manifolds. It's interesting to note that the manifold with the attached spacers has also had the plenum floor dropped.

The one before it has the polished raised box on top. If you couple that with a Dawg intake mod, you can have some great airflow.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The one before it has the polished raised box on top. If you couple that with a Dawg intake mod, you can have some great airflow.

Rather than the Dawg intake mod, I'd rather run a secondary throttle body as mentioned HERE.

Using spacers as discussed in this current thread would allow me to run a tube from the secondary throttle body to the underside of the plenum... which is an option that wasn't available with the upper plenum mounted in it's usual stock location. Hmmm... more stuff to now day-dream about.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A price of $12,000 for an 85 V6 Fiero with 93K miles is IMO unrealistic. Examine the prices of Corvettes for sale in the same era and you can get a far better, luxury sports car, with superior handling for far less money. If you wish to spend $12 K on a collectible car there are many great choices on the market right now .
People will ASK all kinds of crazy prices for a Pontiac Fiero. In reality it is a economy car built on a cheap Chevette suspension and with many parts from the GM parts bins of the time. Its certainly the ideal low cost hot rod/custom car platform or a car for the budget collectors that we have here. You can give it a great paint job but its still a Fiero, an inexpensive economy car by its very design.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

A price of $12,000 for an 85 V6 Fiero with 93K miles is IMO unrealistic. Examine the prices of Corvettes for sale in the same era and you can get a far better......

No. Cars are worth what people are willing to pay and there is no C4 corvette I'd pay more for than the right Fiero it's great shape. It's not unreasonable to believe our oddball car with styling ahead of its time will surpass the value of the ugly gutless c4.

Ps, if anyone wants to try these spacers made out of abs, I'll make a set.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 10-26-2015).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had Larry powder coat my intake and valve covers for my 87 GT many years ago and they look like new. He did great work.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damnnnn Dennis. There goes the thoughts of my gm parts pile being special lol.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

No. Cars are worth what people are willing to pay and there is no C4 corvette I'd pay more for than the right Fiero it's great shape. It's not unreasonable to believe our oddball car with styling ahead of its time will surpass the value of the ugly gutless c4.

Ps, if anyone wants to try these spacers made out of abs, I'll make a set.

I'm with you on the c4. My 88 gt will be sitting next to a 2016 camaro ss or a c7 by spring.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep returning to this thread. I find myself daydreaming of all the really beautiful pictures of what folks can accomplish with a little heart put into it.

The artwork called a dogbone being offered is on my fantasy list. Soonish...

I would love a Dawg modified intake with those spacers. Aesthetics more than anything.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if the car come with that cool ultra-modern cell phone?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I wonder if the car come with that cool ultra-modern cell phone?

That's an excellent observation! Makes you wonder how ancient those pictures are... and what the car actually looks like now.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-26-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's an excellent observation! Makes you wonder how ancient those pictures are... and what the car actually looks like now.

Probably looks the same. My del Sol had an old Motorola carphone module still installed in it (but the handset was missing), when I bought it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably looks the same.

So you believe those to be current pictures and the ancient carphone is still hanging there... along with the aftermarket cassette deck and this equally old radar detector?

And I realize some Fieros never had it done, but looking at the air filter snorkel and the decklid weatherstripping, I'd say this Fiero was pre-recall.

I'm really curious now how old all those images are.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-26-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock