Did anyone ever make this dash pod? by 1Packrat
Started on: 06-12-2015 08:18 AM
Replies: 18 (1356 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 09-19-2015 07:49 PM
1Packrat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone ever go into production with this. If this were made I would like to buy one. Go to the bottom of the thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-078939.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 car was found with the cluster in it and sold to a member here so there is a unit in a persons hands weather they want to take it apart and ask someone to 3d scan it and print it is another story.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be to big to 3d print no?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This custom made instrument cluster is a beautiful addition to the Fiero dash. I believe that it uses the Firebird gauge panel.

I am surprised that no one has offered this product in fiberglass. The effect really upgrades and modernizes the interior.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-12-2015).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1990 Cluster is similar to, (but came before and is not identical to), the Firebird.

My answer is the same as in 2009. I had starting thinking about how to build a rounded plug-and-play bolt-on pod but I had got too busy with other things to pursue it.

Still making the plug and play harnesses for folks that want to tackle the mechanical stuff themselves. PM me for details if interested.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the advent of 3-D printers the reproduction of this pod should be doable?

All we need now is for someone to do just that, reproduce the instrument pod.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

With the advent of 3-D printers the reproduction of this pod should be doable?

All we need now is for someone to do just that, reproduce the instrument pod.

Yes all we need is someone with the time and money to invest in a product that many will profess an interest in, but few will actually buy. 3D printers are not free and by the time you create a working prototype you have invested tens of thousands of dollars with hopes of getting a return on your investment. The only way to pull this off would be a dedicated enthusiast with the skills, or one of the large big named vendors with deep pockets. So far neither has stepped up to produce this.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

That would be to big to 3d print no?

I wouldn't assume it's too big. They made a whole car with 3d printing.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1Packrat:

Did anyone ever go into production with this. If this were made I would like to buy one. Go to the bottom of the thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-078939.html

This past December I posted in the thread below asking if the prototype instrument pod and HVAC/radio surround would be made available for reproduction. See the response I was given.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/094715-2.html#p74
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

This past December I posted in the thread below asking if the prototype instrument pod and HVAC/radio surround would be made available for reproduction. See the response I was given.

Don't take the "No" part too hard; the parts might be handmade or possibly brittle and I can understand why the owner might not want to dismantle them so that molds could be made. Particularly if he doesn't have the time or know-how to make the molds, and has to send them out. What if the dash pod gets damaged in shipment?
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the cost of a Firebird cluster & harness conversion?
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

What is the cost of a Firebird cluster & harness conversion?

I've built about a dozen of these and each one is custom depending on what the customer wants, but average price including the cluster and all the Firebird switches tested and shipped is about $500. I've also modified clusters with the Sunbird turbo tach for install into the G1 Dash. Now if only someone wanted to build the 1990 Pod I could easily wire it to be plug and play.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought at some point in time (way back) someone had actually produced a couple of these - don't recall who or where they are today (I seem to recall that they were installed into a car(s)).

IIRC it was made more as a 1 off, not sure if there was a plan at making a bunch of them or not.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sofa King was working on one a few years back - he kind of disappeared. look in this thread on page 18

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000107-18.html

Pat
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one Sofaking has looks interesting, but it really needs more of a sunshade and the clear plastic needs to be angled backwards or there is going to be horrific glare on it.

Still I think it was a one off. I have offered to partner with anyone good with fiberglass that wants to do the shell. I don't have the skills to do that.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jscott, not to hijack too much but how did you go about building your adapter harness as far as the sockets for the stock wiring go? Got a Cavalier cluster I want to install, but don't want to hack my wiring to do it and do have a couple of old clusters I can cut up if required. I'm assuming you used the socket sections from an old cluster?
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2015 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This custom made instrument cluster is a beautiful addition to the Fiero dash. I believe that it uses the Firebird gauge panel.

I am surprised that no one has offered this product in fiberglass. The effect really upgrades and modernizes the interior.

Screw fiberglass. I could make that with aluminum a English wheel and a dollly. Cover it in foam and leather or vinyl.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should this console ever go into production the best way would be to have it vacuum formed. Look at the add-on accessory tray that the Fiero store sells. Its just thin light vacuum formed plastic but it does the job. A cheap way to modernize the look of the console at an economical production price, would be to develop a hump back rounded top piece for the existing speedometer console. Such a product could be designed as a fit over piece that could be glued down or even held in place with Velcro tape.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2015 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

jscott, not to hijack too much but how did you go about building your adapter harness as far as the sockets for the stock wiring go? Got a Cavalier cluster I want to install, but don't want to hack my wiring to do it and do have a couple of old clusters I can cut up if required. I'm assuming you used the socket sections from an old cluster?

Yes, I use the socket sections from an old cluster to create the connections. You could do that an wire in your Cavalier cluster without cutting a single wire.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock