Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Anybody Making Something of a Clone of the Prototype 1990 Fiero's Rounded Dash Pod?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anybody Making Something of a Clone of the Prototype 1990 Fiero's Rounded Dash Pod? by project34
Started on: 12-29-2009 05:17 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fieroguru on 09-19-2010 07:30 AM
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
IIRC, jscott1, and separately, maybe one or two other gentlemen, at one time were thinking about making something of a clone of the prototype 1990 Fiero's rounded dash pod (three pictures shown below), but in fiberglass. Did anything ever come of those musings, or does anyone currently have an interest in tackling that dash pod project?

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Get ahold of jscott1. He was building a Camaro/Firebird dash kit that looked very close to that.
IP: Logged
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Get ahold of jscott1. He was building a Camaro/Firebird dash kit that looked very close to that.

Yeah I was going to say to look into the firebird dash swaps. They use a similar gauge pod. I would think you could mock up and build a surround to hold the gauges while maintaining the rest of the dash.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-29-2009).]

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I just grabbed a dash out of Buick (I think) at pul-n-Sav that looks just like this dash. Except the one I have the tach goes to 8K instead of 7K to match the 3.4 DOHC I have in my 85 SE. I plan on trying to make it look like the Prototype's.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

I just grabbed a dash out of Buick (I think) at pul-n-Sav that looks just like this dash. Except the one I have the tach goes to 8K instead of 7K to match the 3.4 DOHC I have in my 85 SE. I plan on trying to make it look like the Prototype's.

Joe Sokol

If you can try to remember what the particular details on that Buick are, that would be helpful, as I'd like to also replicate the prototype dash. And since I'm putting the 3.4 DOHC in, the higher redline would be a plus...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

IIRC, jscott1, and separately, maybe one or two other gentlemen, at one time were thinking about making something of a clone of the prototype 1990 Fiero's rounded dash pod (three pictures shown below), but in fiberglass. Did anything ever come of those musings, or does anyone currently have an interest in tackling that dash pod project?

Yeah the Firebird cluster is very similar, (but not identical) to the Fiero 90 Prototype cluster. I had starting thinking about how to build a rounded plug and play bolt-on pod but I had got too busy with other things to pursue it.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
bump as interested in the rounder look.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Sofa King is working on this in his interior upgrade thread. He picked up the one off case from Fierofreak00 and it was a one off creation:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000107-18.html

Originally posted by Sofa King:

MASSIVE MAJOR HUGE AWESOME UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of this moment the radio stack design has changed! Why? Well... A few changes are about to take place. I mentioned that I received a package in the mail... Check it out!

The Package - if you notice... the delivery man left the package in the friggin rain. UGH... Luckily there was enough packing material to protect the contents. What contents?

Unloading all the goodies... what could it be?

Wait? HUH?

This dash cluster won't fit in a Fiero! Or will it?

BINGO

Backside

Up close

Side View

I am really PUMPED about this project and can't wait to get started on creating the new center stack.

I'm hoping I can drop the cluster off with Jeremy at the Fiero Factory. He likes to tinker with electronics so this is going to be a MASSIVE challenge for him - I hope he's up for the task. If there is anybody in the Huntsville, AL area who is electronics whiz... drop me a line! I know it's not an exact replica of the concept cluster but I think it's cool either way. 89 Concept Dash... Here I come! LOL

STAY TUNED!!!!!

Originally posted by Sofa King:

Minor Update

Despite the horrible heat I went ahead and painted the new cluster housing to get an idea of what it might look like. I also painted the texture coated piece of fiberglass - I'm still unsure of the final product

After some light sanding and awaiting paint

Same for the backside

Another

Painting begins

Backside has the dark grey paint

Side by side

After drying I test fitted the pieces and then joined with the cluster - I LOVE IT!

I recently had the Fiero Factory install the trunk release switch but I don't have a defroster so I'll need to fill one of the holes - bottom right side will be the likely candidate. I would like to keep the layout the same as the stock dash.

I'm also thinking about creating a replacement bolt on cluster cover that mimics the 89 concept pod - curves and what not. Not sure how I'll tackle this but the concept would be interesting. What do you guys think?

More to come!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock