88 Prototype Car For Sale? by IMSA GT
Started on: 10-05-2014 10:32 PM
Replies: 77 (4380 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 12-31-2014 10:29 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Indeed.
IP: Logged
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would totally put the plates off my other fiero on this and drive it illegally if i owned this....whoops
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(not my photos...)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(not my photos...)

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(not my photos...)

Looks like its going for a ride in the Official Fiero Prototype trailer.

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Looks like its going for a ride in the Official Fiero Prototype trailer.

If Kev does not own the official prototype trailer BUT Fred does....than I guess that means Fred will get to drive it :-)
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kev,

Let me know if the PS pieces looks like these:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Kev,

Here are some shots under this earlier concept car

It looks pretty similar...

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-09-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If there's one part of the Fiero that has not stood the test of time, and looks clunky as hell, it's the boxy instrument pod. It just jumps out as something archaic. The rounded pod of the prototype Fiero looks a hundred times better.

That glove box is kind of ugly though. It might've looked a lot better if its lines somewhat followed the rounded shape of the re-vamped instrument pod. Would've given the dash some balance.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If there's one part of the Fiero that has not stood the test of time, and looks clunky as hell, it's the boxy instrument pod. It just jumps out as something archaic. The rounded pod of the prototype Fiero looks a hundred times better.

That glove box is kind of ugly though. It might've looked a lot better if its lines somewhat followed the rounded shape of the re-vamped instrument pod. Would've given the dash some balance.

I always thought the rounded one didnt look right when there were still squared off vent corners and stright lines on the dash too.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked the squared off pod especially when couple with the matching glovebox or the TXGOOD one.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I just don't like the gauge faces. I like the tint better. That having been said, I like the radio surround. If someone makes these, I'd go for that.

Mrfred, details on the car? Does it have a VIN? Was it a mule? Is it authentic?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure if the 1990 went into production they would have integrated a more rounded dash across the board. I'm shocked that there is another gauge pod besides the one we saw in the 1990 owned by GM. I wonder if there are any more. Maybe a whole warehouse of them somewhere??

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I always liked the squared off pod especially when couple with the matching glovebox or the TXGOOD one.

I agree. I love the boxy instrument cluster. You couldn't pay me to swap it out.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Box is old looking. Look at the firebird dash. Looks better and the dash that yellowstone installed looks great.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I agree. I just don't like the gauge faces. I like the tint better. That having been said, I like the radio surround. If someone makes these, I'd go for that.

Mrfred, details on the car? Does it have a VIN? Was it a mule? Is it authentic?

ummmm.... not sure why I am getting asked, but...... RAREW66 posted the following on Facebook

"In summary, this car is #25 of the 31 Pilot Build MY1988 built in the second week of March 1987. It has the factory EHPS. The 16,128 miles were accumualted at Milford Proving Grounds. The car is also a test car for the proposed dash and instrument cluster for the MY1990. Verbal claim is the car remained at Milford for further development of the instrument cluster for use in the production 93 Firebird. In 1991, the engineer responsible for the car drove the car home regularly and suddenly passed away. His parents are who currently sold the car after storage all these years. The deceased engineers brother confirmed the story about the cars time at Milford as he still works there and is part of the team that is building some of GM's wicked high performance stuff. There are engineering stickers all over the car including the all important "non-compliance" DOT emmisions and safety waiver stuck on the back of the decklid."

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RAREW66 (Fred)

Knows his stuff, its legit.

Very cool!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mrfred, I thought you'd seen it. Sorry.

I don't do Facebook, so thanks for sharing. This is awesome for the Fiero community. What a find!
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm another who would love to have this style instrument pod and HVAC/radio surround in my Fiero. If there are any plans to use these parts to reproduce, count me in.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred,
Can you post some pics here on Pennocks? I would love to see it! Especially the prototype details of it.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ummmm.... not sure why I am getting asked, but...... RAREW66 posted the following on Facebook

"In summary, this car is #25 of the 31 Pilot Build MY1988 built in the second week of March 1987. It has the factory EHPS. The 16,128 miles were accumualted at Milford Proving Grounds. The car is also a test car for the proposed dash and instrument cluster for the MY1990. Verbal claim is the car remained at Milford for further development of the instrument cluster for use in the production 93 Firebird. In 1991, the engineer responsible for the car drove the car home regularly and suddenly passed away. His parents are who currently sold the car after storage all these years. The deceased engineers brother confirmed the story about the cars time at Milford as he still works there and is part of the team that is building some of GM's wicked high performance stuff. There are engineering stickers all over the car including the all important "non-compliance" DOT emmisions and safety waiver stuck on the back of the decklid."

I knew it was real and suspected a history like this. Thanks Fred for confirming it.

There a lot of oddity cars like this made but seldom do they get out.

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Must say that I totally agree. The squarish instrument cluster in the Fiero looks, well........really square!! The proposed 1990 design looks much smoother and fits the styling better. Apparently forum member sofa king duplicated the 1990 cluster but nothing became of it. If there is one item that really changes the appearance of the interior it would have to be that new cluster design.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So....what became of sofa king?
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

So....what became of sofa king?

He switched to recliners?

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aaaarg i need some pics of how that consule goes together or some 3d scans of it love to get some reproduction pieces of it. also the wiring schematic on how it hooks up.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find and purchase!
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aaaarg i need some pics of how that consule goes together or some 3d scans of it love to get some reproduction pieces of it. also the wiring schematic on how it hooks up.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No offence, but why aren't we getting an update from the new owner of this fiero??
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He gave a very nice presentation about the car at the recent NIFE meeting. It was broadcast live to anyone that wanted to watch. A video of the meeting will be posted soon on http://fierofocus.com

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 11-13-2014).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Kev,

These photos look very similar to the EHPS unit that I have.

I also have a set of hoses that were reproduced by Rodney Dickman for the EHPS.

Nelson
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He gave a very nice presentation about the car at the recent NIFE meeting. It was broadcast live to anyone that wanted to watch. A video of the meeting will be posted soon on http://fierofocus.com

Waiting to see it
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I talked with Mark a retired GM engineer ( living in Rockford, MI) that was an engineer for the Fiero project from the beginning. He didn't remember that car but remembers the new dash and said it was great. He remembers the 3 1989 prototypes of the base, SE & Formulas that were crushed in the late 2000's. Said they were sharp looking. He let me look through a book that he had about the plant and employes. Interesting. Also told me about the Fiero energy plant next to the Fiero plant. It was/is state of the art energy plant. Ooops getting off track. He said the new dash was great looking and then new cars were fantastic.
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the video of the November Meeting where Fred (Rarew66) presented more information about this prototype car and other Fiero prototypes. The prototype discussion starts about 31 minutes in.

http://fierofocus.com/Club%...er_2014_meeting.html
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow great presentation
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any word as to whether the instrument pod and HVAC/radio surround will be made available for reproduction?
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

Any word as to whether the instrument pod and HVAC/radio surround will be made available for reproduction?

I would guess No. If you had a rare one of a kind item that you paid a fair amount of money for, would you want everyone to have a copy of it?

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes please

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Fred,
Can you post some pics here on Pennocks? I would love to see it! Especially the prototype details of it.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Fred talks about driving lights. Where are they located?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock