Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26731 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that frozenboost advertisement on a billet valve cover?? :O
IP: Logged
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Why didnt you have your wideband hooked up during this? Why didnt you have the narrowband disabled? I am becoming a bit worried already, you could have severely damaged something like that.

I didn't think max of 6lbs of boost and 2 sec of WOT in boost was going to do anything tragic as I was monitoring knock. I was testing if switching the PCM fixed the 0 power issue and if I could get into boost.

The car is still at the shop and is NOT done yet. I will properly tune it when it gets Home. I plan on running both a Narrowband and Wideband simultaneously.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Is that frozenboost advertisement on a billet valve cover?? :O

LOL.... I didn't do that.... It will be removed
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

antilag is easy. Just toss a switch inline with the air temp sensor so that it unplugs when you press a switch (the safer way is to have it "plug in" when you hit the switch, but you cant watch IATs). When it plugs or unplugs, command -49 degrees of timing in the air temp spark table... Just dont press the button without your foot on the pedal at least 30%. The switch has to be manhandled at all times so I mounted mine on my shifter.. press to lag, release to go, so I could use it in any gear, any speed... You could wire it to your brake switch as well if you wanted to make launching it a bit less reliant on your skill to pop your finger off the button when you lift the brakes.

Why didnt you have your wideband hooked up during this? Why didnt you have the narrowband disabled? I am becoming a bit worried already, you could have severely damaged something like that.

Cool, make sense but where in the Air temp spark table do I put the retarded timing? (High End 80*C or Low end -40*C)

Also, Since I currently don't have an Air Temp Sensor I assume the PCM used the High End 80*c witch retards timing and that would explain the low power output on my test drive!

I'm really amped now....I think you just helped me run a 10

I said it before and I will say it again, I don't care what no one says about you... you are all right with me....
as you helped me out tremendously with my build issues as well as I copied your basic design, I just tried to make it mo' prettier

But you could use some internet sensitivity training....O wait, I almost forgot you have a Troll Avatar....LOL

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 07-13-2012).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Cool, make sense but where in the Air temp spark table do I put the retarded timing? (High End 80*C or Low end -40*C)

Also, Since I currently don't have an Air Temp Sensor I assume the PCM used the High End 80*c with retards timing and that would explain the low power output on my test drive!

I'm really amped now....I think you just helped me run a 10

I said it before and I will say it again, I don't care what no one says about you... you are all right with me....
as you helped me out tremendously with my build issues as well as I copied your basic design, I just tried to make it mo' prettier

But you could use some internet sensitivity training....O wait, I almost forgot you have a Troll Avatar....LOL

Agreed...... you guys crack me up. Just sitting here grinning and anticipating that high nine hehehe peace

Pete

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No air temp is -40c

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

No air temp is -40c

There is Table for it in DHP and ZZP race pellet is -40 I think...

I guess you don't have any Dry ICE around as that is -78*C......
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Temp unplugged is -40 not Max.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my IAT adapter so the car should be ready early next week.

Big thanks to DH and LFiero67 for some tuning Tips and help.

I had the wrong MAF table loaded for the LT1 so I'm pretty sure my AFR's and spool time will be 100% better now.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for not keeping your build Top Secret.

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for not keeping your build Top Secret.

NP, thanks you, If you guys didn't share first I wouldn't have a 3800 Turbo to COPY...LOL

Info sharing is what makes PFF great. Plus, I need to ask 100 questions so keeping it in the closet wouldn't do me or future DIY Turbo installers any good.
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NP, thanks you, If you guys didn't share first I wouldn't have a 3800 Turbo to COPY...LOL

Info sharing is what makes PFF great. Plus, I need to ask 100 questions so keeping it in the closet wouldn't do me or future DIY Turbo installers any good.

EXACTLY!!!

Pete
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got my IAT adapter so the car should be ready early next week.

Uh, I hope thats not holding anything up... Its a cosmetic fix at best.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uh, I hope thats not holding anything up... Its a cosmetic fix at best.

How will your anti lag solution work without it?

Also, I like the ZZP race pellet idea much better than flashing a new tune on the track.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How will your anti lag solution work without it?

Also, I like the ZZP race pellet idea much better than flashing a new tune on the track.

I would just put a random resistor in that registers like 30c, then "unplug" it for antilag. You can use a iat sensor just sitting in the engine bay instead of finding the right resistor. (google the ohms for the resistor if you want to do that)
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would just put a random resistor in that registers like 30c, then "unplug" it for antilag. You can use a iat sensor just sitting in the engine bay instead of finding the right resistor. (google the ohms for the resistor if you want to do that)

I have the 3800 IAT, and Adapter and planned on using a Normally closed switch that I would mount by the Cig lighter. Press tje switch to anti lag and spool her like a red headed stepchild.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Random Dumb Question to those who know...

Are the LS1 and LT1 MAF the same thing? I keep seeing that some people refer them as being different.

I have the MAF for a 94 Camao Z28 and want to verify I have the correct MAF table loaded.

I'm going for the for the cleanest and Fastest trapping turbo 3800 Fiero..
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm going for the for the cleanest and Fastest trapping turbo 3800 Fiero..

I'm pretty sure i'll be in the 136-138 area next time I go.

------------------
11.54@132.7

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have the 3800 IAT, and Adapter and planned on using a Normally closed switch that I would mount by the Cig lighter. Press tje switch to anti lag and spool her like a red headed stepchild.

You will need to be able to activate it and deactivate it all 100% manually. I would highly suggest the shifter, or steering wheel, or something with easy access... its not like a "mode" you will enable its very organic.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Random Dumb Question to those who know...

Are the LS1 and LT1 MAF the same thing? I keep seeing that some people refer them as being different.

I have the MAF for a 94 Camao Z28 and want to verify I have the correct MAF table loaded.

[QUOTE] I'm going for the for the cleanest and Fastest trapping turbo 3800 Fiero..
[/QUOTE]

93-97 Camaro (f-bodies) would be an LT1 MAF. F-bodies didn't have an LS1 until 1998-2002 model years.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:

93-97 Camaro (f-bodies) would be an LT1 MAF. F-bodies didn't have an LS1 until 1998-2002 model years.

But did they use the same MAF sensors?
PFF
System Bot
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think not cuz they look different. Also 98 was a changer over year, remember GM PCM in 96 n 97 were also different in the 98 year.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure they were the same.

There seem to be 2 maf tables out there... the one that appears to flow alot more is the one I use.
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LT1 and LS1 aluminum ended MAF sensors are the same up till 2002. Same part number is used on camaro from 1993 until 2002, and corvette until 2000. Also used in a variety of trucks, and vans. The corvette got the 85mm plastic MAF in 2000-2001, and camaro followed after.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.
10.263 @ 134.44MPH

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IT's HOME but far from finished....

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Atleast you got it home! Good for you. What is next?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a 2.5" pipe?

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that a 2.5" pipe?

NOPE! 3" baby..
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Atleast you got it home! Good for you. What is next?

I NEED an alignment and the Trunk brace Welded back.

I also need to and move the IC back and lower it like on Justin build as I want it low enough to build a trunk.

Then I will fix the little cosmetic stuff that broke during the install and get that emergency brake piece that was lost.

And ultimately Paint and Finish off the interior.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That ST3 always made for a good chop on a little cam.

Why are we making videos of a turbo car idling in a garage again?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That ST3 always made for a good chop on a little cam.

Why are we making videos of a turbo car idling in a garage again?

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I'd like to "hear"a comparison test.. Or what it actually sounds like. -Jason

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

So does this mean it is running right now? Oh and HOW DARE YOU not post a running video....hhehehe peace

Pete

Simple, someone asked and I obliged..

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 07-17-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds great, very nice idle. Now for some "action" videos.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

That sounds great, very nice idle. Now for some "action" videos.

+1 LOL

Pete
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NOPE! 3" baby..

Looks small from here.

------------------
11.54@132.7

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks small from here.

Not going there...

Does that funny little venturi muffler actually make a difference in the real world?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked on the tune some and turned up the boost from 6psi to 9psi. I am still trying to get used to the turbo as it is a very different animal.

I keep expecting to hear some whine or whistle or something but only thing I hear is the mellow exhaust note.

Spool is much better but I can't burn any rubber...yet. Maybe I need to start out in a lower gear?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Worked on the tune some and turned up the boost from 6psi to 9psi. I am still trying to get used to the turbo as it is a very different animal.

I keep expecting to hear some whine or whistle or something but only thing I hear is the mellow exhaust note.

Spool is much better but I can't burn any rubber...yet. Maybe I need to start out in a lower gear?

How does the antilag work? That turbo probably wont make decent power untill your pressure ratio gets up around 14psi anyway... power per PSI is EXTREMELY exponetial in turbo setups as compressor efficency goes up the more pressure ratio you make (to a point anyway).

Its was not that easy to for me to spin tires in first gear on 15psi with my old T3 setup... even my all seasons... antilag and 15+psi really increased my tire melting ability.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The magic starts over 20 psi.

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How does the antilag work? That turbo probably wont make decent power untill your pressure ratio gets up around 14psi anyway... power per PSI is EXTREMELY exponetial in turbo setups as compressor efficency goes up the more pressure ratio you make (to a point anyway).

Its was not that easy to for me to spin tires in first gear on 15psi with my old T3 setup... even my all seasons... antilag and 15+psi really increased my tire melting ability.

I haven't hooked up antilag yet and might not need it. I turned up the boost a little more and I increased the low RPM timing and changed some PE settings as suggested by LFiero67.

Now I only read -2.5 vacuum instead of -8.5 and can get into a little boost from foot brake. Now I have some real power when I stomp on it and the acceleration is worlds better than before.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 07-19-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock