Started on: 05-08-2011 12:57 PM
Replies: 90 (4557 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 06-20-2022 03:14 PM
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,

Try specialty insurance companies like Grundy (recommended) or American Collectors. You can get a stated value policy for around $300-400 per year for a $15k agreed upon value. BTW, your car will be much improved when you get the new letters and nose badge installed.

Nelson

Originally posted by batousai666:

a Mera that looks this NEW deserves a page two!!!!

try Collector Insurance. some of the other Mera Guys have some special insur. and they are getting pretty good coin back should a misfortune arise.....its a thought.

Daniel-
Mera X

IP: Logged
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah baby...new letters coming (TY Nelson) and hopefully new nose badge. I also had the Fiero Factory send me a beechwood aux instrument case, a black pin that holds the e brake leather together near the handle, a single screw from inside the center console directly under the ashtrays (was short one) and one set of left and right ashtray doors (just in case I break any when I take them out to recondition them.

Also, I picked up an 86GT in red to keep up here in DC so I can scoot around on the weekends and visit some east coast members for hanging out and Fiero talk!!!! $1500.00 for a 86k mile car in very reasonable shape. Some small stuff to do like drivers side front and rear round marker lights (both are cracked) and a little glueing plus working through a headlight issue. Both work but won't go up and down unless you unplug relays and switch them.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to consider getting a "dealers" license.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not wrong there...I seem to have a serious problem!
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a similar problem.....just all the cars are different.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He has to sell some to have a dealers license doesn't he??

Edit, and if he were to sell one her would get two more to replace it lol.

[This message has been edited by Marine1981 (edited 05-12-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL...
reholmes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

John,

Try specialty insurance companies like Grundy (recommended) or American Collectors. You can get a stated value policy for around $300-400 per year for a $15k agreed upon value. BTW, your car will be much improved when you get the new letters and nose badge installed.

Nelson

I've had both--Grundy is far cheaper, but AC has some liberal options--of course they cost more--and is recommended by USAA.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not really like the mileage limitations from AC and that is one of the reasons that I switched to Grundy. You can extend the AC mileage limitations but it will cost additional cash. Grundy was also a bit less expensive than AC.

Nelson

Originally posted by reholmes:

I've had both--Grundy is far cheaper, but AC has some liberal options--of course they cost more--and is recommended by USAA.

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I got the chance to tear the center console apart and start the reconditioning. I recieved a few parts from the Fiero Factory and installed them. I put in the little plug that holds the leather cover on the emergency brake as the first quick item. Then we (the son and I) took the center console down and started the recondition. Here are a few piccys!

First the teardown:

Clean and and refresh the brackets:

Remove and Replace the aux guage case to fix the broken mounts and put brackets back on:

Reassembly:

And the finished product:

While I was at it I also installed a left ashtray door to replace the duel rights that were in there so they were correct. I also cleaned up and painted the ashtrays so that they were fresh. I hate rust! The ashtray doors were reconditioned as well. Lastly, I cleaned and repainted the shift indicator with a bright new flourescant so you can clearly see which gear you have selected. I found that at some point the center console had been apart (two right hand doors and the indicator not on the stalk) This is the thread I did before on how to:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084600.html

Next weekend I will be removing the rear section of the center console so I can reglue everything that has seperated. Also, if time permits, the rear carpet for some Resolve and CLR cleaning using this thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079713.html

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 04-02-2013).]

reholmes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is your trunk release switch mounted?
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the end of my hand...where I hold the key!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 05-16-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Contacted a professional model builder to cut the "GRAND AM AM S/E" and make it a perfect "MERA". Yes I wrote AM twice purposely. You need to have two of these to make the lettering perfect as taking the R and M off ruins the A's...hence two sets of AM required. I just don't trust myself to do it perfectly.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2011 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Per request, the tires are 21560R15s...another thing I will have to sort out. Maybe these can go on another Fiero.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 05-11-2012).]

reholmes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reholmesSend a Private Message to reholmesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Some small stuff to do like drivers side front and rear round marker lights (both are cracked) and a little glueing plus working through a headlight issue. Both work but won't go up and down unless you unplug relays and switch them.

This is what I have. If any of it will help, send me an address.

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Per request, the tires are 21560R15s,,,another thing I will have to sort out. maybe these can go on another Fiero.

These tires 215/60/15 are the same diameter at the original 245/50/15's on the front. You should keep these on the front as they will steer much easier. Just look for some 265/50/15's for the rear and you will be fine and look good too. You can get 265/50/15's in a Hankook Ventus H101 which will allow you to rotate them side to side, as they are not directional. Check out tires-easy.com

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 05-19-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally found time to clean the trunk carpet. I use the previously mentioned thread. I didn't have perfect results but they are immensely better than I started with. I may give it one more scrub before I put it back in.

First, the trunk is completely rust free!!! There is something that was placed in the center bottom, an adhesive of sorts, to hold the carpet down.

Pulled out the carpet. You can see where there was greasy grimy stuff on the floor and a tool or something had been placed in there to rust. In fact, there was little pieces still adhered to the carpet.

Armed to the teeth with the proper weaponry

The first Resolve run

After the first CLR run

And the "big green helper" holding the carpet for final rinse and overnight drying

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 05-11-2012).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
Snapped this shot with my cell phone...

Thought it looked Fiero-licious!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nelson supplied me with a set of these GRAND AM S/E emblems in the correct font:

I have also managed to track down three full sets along with two extra S/E's...I don't trust myself to do them so I am going to have them sent to a professional model builder to do correctly the first time. If anyone needs a set I will cost share with you. All I will ask is exactly what they cost including the model builders fee for doing one set. Proper MERA badging here we come! Speaking of, Tom how are the nose badges coming along?
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i may be interested, but how would you feel if i put them on the back instead of on top of the rear decklid??

maybe both?? thats too much MERA, no?? still i am down if it is not tooo much, $$$$!!
actually i have no prob with them "as is" i will cut them my self and may only need one S/E.....

hit me back in a PM or what have you

d

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-25-2011).]

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are original to the car. Would you be selling the reproduction emblems you are having made? Send me a quote when you know how many are going to purchase.
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Snapped this shot with my cell phone...

Thought it looked Fiero-licious!

No room for the RottinChop! Guess you'll just have to be driving it 24/7 when its finished. Neat pic, any chance of a high-res version to add to my collection of Fiero wallpapers?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The letters are the Grand Am ones. As I understand it, that is where the MERA letters were derived from. Try to take me some close up pics of all sides of the original letters on your car....then I can pass them to the modeler. This way he can get them as exact as possible!!!! Also, I can easily take a high res piccy of the garage as soon as the weekend comes. That way I can give them all a bath and get the camera out! I can post it in 640x480 and email you a full size one. How would that be?
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

No room for the RottinChop! Guess you'll just have to be driving it 24/7 when its finished. Neat pic, any chance of a high-res version to add to my collection of Fiero wallpapers?

Don't worry, I'm sure he has plans to squeeze all of them in there. lol
87_special

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn dude. You probably have the most Fieros of any one person in the entire gulf-coast. Good looking Mera!

You know, I wouldnt mind drivin out to GB if you wanna meet up. I'd love to take a look at your collection in person. I leave for bootcamp in 2 weeks tho, so it would have to be soon.

Let me know,
JoeCooley

------------------
1987 SE / Fastback - 3500 Turdbowd / Alcoholic / '92 5-speed swap

No bandwagon here...

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plan it for Saturday...pm sent with my address.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i should be in town in GB Jun 4th thru the 8th for my movers. Feel free to come on over!
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John, I hope your new place has room for all of your toys!! if you need me to Foster some of them here In Texas I can do that for you. It will be hard but I could do it for you...
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The RottinMera got a new radio. I wanted the factory look so one of these went in:

I will send it off to one of our Fiero brethren, Fiero Tom, soon to get the backlit AUX plug!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067918.html

What's on the fire for the RottinMera next?
Hint: http://companies.findthebes...n-West-Bloomfield-MI

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-14-2014).]

virtuetovice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy damn that's gorgeous.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car, John. All the work really paid off.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! Been a long time since I saw those pics. Do you still have Tom's/Ronnie's yellow GT?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Virtue - Thanks!

Tshark - Thanks. It sure did! And the perseverance to try and find really good one.

Raydar - Sadly I had to sell it to make room for Hulki's 88GT. I really regret selling that yellow T-Top. I think that was my al time favorite Fiero that I have owned.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-14-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which one is Hulki's '88? You MET him?

I somehow thought the yellow one was a 4.9, and had the impression you were done with 4.9s.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tshark - the yellow one was a 4.9. I should have changed it to a 3800SC and kept it. The car itself was amazing I just did not like the 4.9. I didn't have the wood grain in there. I replaced it with proper dot matrix bezels. The front compartment was dressed up as well as the top of the 4.9 air cleaner but these will give you an idea of what it looked like.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030204-1-022121.html

The yellow T-Top is my favorite Fiero color especially with all that black accenting it. Just lovely! Hulki's car is a white 88 GT with 5900 miles...in storage in Florida.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-15-2014).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is Hulki ?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Home I imagine.
steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I've tried to contact him on multiple occasions and he has been absent from the forum ---- If you should happen to see him, please pass on my best to him.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you may be confusing Hulki from the forum and the actual Fiero engineer. inventor of the Fiero, Hulki Aldikacti? I am referring to the inventor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQS79tiQ_iQ

here is the post from when Hulki's GT was for sale.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086091.html

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-15-2014).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You sir are correct. Thanks.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock