Started on: 02-22-2011 10:00 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: GBglide on 02-25-2011 12:18 AM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
After I started the thread having such a time with getting my doors off I figured I would show what I did to recondition the center console ashtray doors and the auto shift selector indicator. First, the original thead was here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/084569.html

After the doors were removed I took a picture of a really nasty door which had been previously scrathed and painted and gotten generally nasty.

Then I scrubbed it with dish soap and a brush. be sure to let it dry thouroughly (I am accelerating the process by not letting it dry all the way...I am using a paper towel.

Then I took a 3M sanding pad I found at Walmart in the autobody section. It is a light to medium pad...3 bucks (You may not need to sand if they are in good physical condition)

Then I washed, scrubbed, and dried it again. Smooth but you can still see the belmishes.

Then I took it outside for two quick coats of BBQ grill paint which I also found at Walmart. And viola!

Next: Auto Shift Indicator.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 02-23-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Now for that shift indicator...

First you need to remove the shift indicator from your bezel from teh bottom side. You will see that the holder has 45 degree ends so that it can twist off. I took some pics prior to doing anything so you can see the faded orange and burned in P and D.

Next you tape up and sand the orange off using your trusty 3M pad mentioned above.

This is the paint I am using.

Two or three coats...i did three with about 30 secs drying time in between (speed in trying to prove the concept).

Remove the tape

Reinstall and Voila!!! Nice and clear!

Give your's a shot!
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
You did what I am about to start doing. LOL! They look great though. I decided not to sand down the doors, I just scrubbed them until they came clean. Mine were not as bad as yours though.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 02-22-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
This one was one that I broke the tab off and it was the worst condition one I had so I figured if I could make it look good the rest wouldn't need sanding. The ones that are in my car I didn't sand at all. Interestingly, the light sanding I did took no texture off but a little paint. Guess you could really go to town on a pair and take the texture off if you wished.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 02-23-2011).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

That is a great idea. I bet you can do at least 1000 Fieros with that can
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Huge Cans!!!!!! More than happy to do them if they are sent to me! I can bring the can to Daytona for a mass reconditioning! I couldn't find another can either...get the extra large or go without. I will be doing all the clubs autos as well down here since we are experiencing 70 degree days right now. We are going to do a few this Saturday.
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
I did almost the exact same thing here (scroll down to end of page):

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/077195-8.html

I found, however that on my Mera, the ash tray doors would hit the bezel when you opened them, and thus ruin the paint job. So I glued small pieces of foam underneath the bezel (you'll see what I mean when you look under the bezel with the ash trays attached). That way, when you open the ash tray doors, it won't hit the bezel.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Those little things make a difference.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I put red reflector tape on my auto shift indicator. An easy and fast fix.
GBglide

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Now for that shift indicator...
Reinstall and Voila!!! Nice and clear!

Give your's a shot!

Thanks, I think I'll make mine green!

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Green ashtray doors or green shift indicator?
PFF
System Bot
GBglide

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, green shift indicator.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock