Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Tony Kania's 4" x 6" Low Profile HID Headlight Project (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tony Kania's 4" x 6" Low Profile HID Headlight Project by Tony Kania
Started on: 04-25-2011 11:09 AM
Replies: 72 (8003 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 06-02-2017 09:59 AM
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually that is the beauty of this modification.
The motor/arm/bucket geometry remains the same.
What you are doing is cutting the bucket shorter and installing a smaller reflector housing.
Behold ! ! Low Profile ! !
IP: Logged
ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To clarify that point, think of it this way: the motor is still only moving the bucket the same distance, the bucket is just not as tall. Since the bucket is what pushes open the door, the net result is everything is "lower" in the upright position.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 08-30-2016).]

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, sometimes I do come up with some cool things.

Infinitewill, and weloveour86se will have some packages delivered soon.

------------------

Fieroking Customs

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

You making these now for sale?
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have enough for three sets total, if that is what you are asking. Two are accounted for, with one for...?
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do have enough for three sets total, if that is what you are asking. Two are accounted for, with one for...?

Ummm... MOI! PM me your Paypal and cost.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony - PM Sent!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As will you have a package soon!

This is the best valentines day ever!

Now off to find a tip-top quality box...

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-13-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

As will you have a package soon!

This is the best valentines day ever!

Now off to find a tip-top quality box...

Just let me finish before we exchange info. I am a stickler for that. Gotta give before you can recieve.
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damnit! I wish I still had my Fiero cause this was one of my favorite appearance mods
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'll go to my happy place and calm down. Ty, I got giddy. Im better now.

Its just that every time I see my factory airbrake headlights up I hate it! Your solution is great looking!

I will be patiently waiting, here, near the mailbox, or within eye sight. Patiently...

All kidding aside, take your time. No worries at all. Im in no super hurry as I have plenty of other things to mess with before I can install your beauties.

"But I want it now daddy" said Veruka.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofury:

Looks good! I wish someone would sell a kit...

I second that!
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2013 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking headlight mod for those who favor the slimmer stock look.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 02-14-2013).]

gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very creative!
I like
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess that I should add, all sets are accounted for. I really do not plan on making these for the public. Legallities that I just cannot afford. But, I am more than willing to help in any way to help any member achieve this. It is a fairly involved process to get the angles and the look just right. I just would not make enough to cover costs. That is why I will easily offer my advice if anyone wants to tackle this on their own.

Thank you very much for all of the compliments.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

How did I miss this????

Tony, you have another PM.

Dr. W.

PM sent...

Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe I missed this too!

I have been wanting to do this to my headlights for years and this is the first one I have seen that I really like, I did not want round lights the lights you used are exactly what I was wanting to use. I tried the links in your first post and they no longer go to anything, do you know where to get these now?

Are you going to the 30th? I am going and I would love to see these headlights if your car will be there.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 05-12-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

I can't believe I missed this too!

I have been wanting to do this to my headlights for years and this is the first one I have seen that I really like, I did not want round lights the lights you used are exactly what I was wanting to use. I tried the links in your first post and they no longer go to anything, do you know where to get these now?

Are you going to the 30th? I am going and I would love to see these headlights if your car will be there.

Sorry Christine, lemme explain....Tony is AWOL. I think he went and got himself some fancy job or career or some un Fiero related thing . I been trying to reach TK with no luck. We were working on a trade deal and I haven't heard back in quite some time. So I PM'd Infinitewill to see if he has heard anything from TK.

Now before someone starts getting all crazy I understand how life is. Hectic! I was just hoping for an update is all

hobbywrench

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Tony, You have really done it with this. The only threads that seem to generate as much emotion are the intake and exhaust scenarios. Pretty and ingenious. Is there really a country called "Spokanistan?"
PFF
System Bot
j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried using projector housings with this mod. If so, I'm curious to here the results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI...em5d3f356546&vxp=mtr

------------------
~John

'88 GT 5spd White/Beechwood
'00 Corvette vert. 6spd Yellow/Black
'05 Colorado Xtreme Black/Graphite

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hobbywrench:

Well Tony, You have really done it with this. The only threads that seem to generate as much emotion are the intake and exhaust scenarios. Pretty and ingenious. Is there really a country called "Spokanistan?"

Have you seen our city lately?

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j bf1:
Has anyone tried using projector housings with this mod. If so, I'm curious to here the results.

Yep thats what I have on my Widow .... you can see this mod in my build thread last pages ....here is a pic

::edited to insert pics:
------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 05-20-2013).]

j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice Does your projectors leave a cut off line?

------------------
~John

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by j bf1:

Looks nice Does your projectors leave a cut off line?

yep but very very minimal..... dont have pics right now though...
j bf1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for j bf1Send a Private Message to j bf1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In this pic, you can see how I fabbed up aluminum plates about 3 1/2" tall by 1 1/2" wide. I put a concave on the inside to match the headlight housing. I JB welded one side, then flipped the light over, and did the other side the next day.

You can see headlight hardware nuts that I had mounted into the Fiero housing. The JB Weld was put on heavily, and for an application like this, it is bullet proof. The 4 adjustment screws hold the headlight in place in the Fiero mechanics. There are no springs in how I did this. I thought about how new cars do their lighting, and it is all with adjustment and pivot points. I really don't see rusted out springs anymore, and I just went with that notion of how I was going to do this project. To finish it off, I shot semi flat and calle dit a day.

What gauge aluminum did you use?

------------------
~John

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2017 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little tony likes to piss in other threads, so here's returning the favor.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2017 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, Tony.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2017 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Little tony likes to piss in other threads, so here's returning the favor.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2017 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been running these now for the past 6 years with no issues. I sealed the lenses again even though they came sealed. It was a cheap headlight assembly to begin with, and I did not want failure down the road.

A problem with my design is that you need a whole new assembly if the lens breaks. I guess my first step would be to just replace the lens?

The light output is really good. NOT like new car lighting though. Not as much cut off, and more light run out. I have been flashed, but less than 5 times in the years since creating. There are a ton of mountain roads here, and at night I see everything.
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2017 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Tony
Hope all is fine .... your awsome work on these lights helped me alot on my design ....thanks to you your design idea was brilliant !!

greatest regards my friend
Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just went through your Automoda thread.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock