Started on: 06-17-2005 06:31 PM
Replies: 385 (27859 views)
Last post by: richard in nc on 08-26-2023 09:41 PM
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Courtesy of the Foundry in Plant 8 of formerly Delco Remy in Anderson, Ind.

A reman. starter from Advanced Auto was $54. Installed it myself.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 08-25-2007).]

IP: Logged
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2007 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starts were getting rougher. Removed the Ignition Control Module and had it tested at Advanced Auto Parts. It failed the test. A Motorola replacement was just over $100 w/ tax.

Installed it, started the engine. Good start. Started the engine several hours later, good start. I think the problem is solved.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery was down enough that it failed to start on a cold morning last week. Put the charger on overnight to bring the battery up. Checked the battery & alternator at O'Riellys, both OK.

Guess we need to take some longer trips w/ this car once and a while.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2007 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Purchased a dash trim kit online today. English Burlwood should look good against a grey interior. I'll post pics once it is installed.

Meanwhile, looking forward to a road trip on Friday.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 12-24-2007).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2007 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While installing a SliverStar headlight on the left side, I noticed that the right headlight had a case of lazy eye. It wouldn't open all the way. Took the motor out, disassembled it, greased the gears & oiled the armature trust bearing & lower pivot and reassembled it. Adjusted shaft lash and reinstalled the assembly. Both sides work great now.

The lights: Left side=white Right side=yellowish by comparison.
Mr.Chipps

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.ChippsSend a Private Message to Mr.ChippsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

While installing a SliverStar headlight on the left side, I noticed that the right headlight had a case of lazy eye. It wouldn't open all the way. Took the motor out, disassembled it, greased the gears & oiled the armature trust bearing & lower pivot and reassembled it. Adjusted shaft lash and reinstalled the assembly. Both sides work great now.

The lights: Left side=white Right side=yellowish by comparison.

Sounds like your ground is not working very well on the Right Side.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2007 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Chipps:Sounds like your ground is not working very well on the Right Side.

The right side is still a regular halogen bulb. Maybe I'll buy & install another SilverStar later.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got an e-mail from the dash kit guy explaining how they were shut down for the holidays & the kit had to be custom made. But it WAS shipped today! Looking for good results soon. Pictures to follow.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by 30+mpg:The right side is still a regular halogen bulb. Maybe I'll buy & install another SilverStar later.

Silver Star isn't noticably brighter than regular halogen on the open road at night just white vs. yellow. Both throw about the same distance. Don't think I'll buy another.

My Lancia Beta coupe had quad 5.75's. I ran a pair of 100w H3's in the hi beams. Now THAT was some decent light!

I could buy a pair of conversion headlights that would let me use H4 bulbs.

"Brand new pair of Xenon Plasma halogen bulbs. These are H4 12 volt halogen bulbs that put out 140/100W. They are extremely bright. Gives off that bright white look seen on vehicles such as a BMW. New technology allows these bulbs to be filled with Xenon gas, allowing advanced visibility at night and in bad weather situations. The back is a standard three prong setup."

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 01-09-2008).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some lame before photos of the dash.

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you've got some warpage to repair. I bought the black projector housing H4 conversion H6054s off ebay from b_squared a few days ago, should get here tomorrow. I will post pics when I get them. I am filling mine with Luminic Pure Blue H4s, but they do come preloaded with faux HID bulbs.
PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody:Looks like you've got some warpage to repair. I bought the black projector housing H4 conversion H6054s off ebay from b_squared a few days ago, should get here tomorrow. I will post pics when I get them. I am filling mine with Luminic Pure Blue H4s, but they do come preloaded with faux HID bulbs.

Yeah, that's why the title of this thread has the word "project" in it.

I'm not interested in faux HID or colored lights, I just want lights that can throw the longest beam for the lowest cost.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats cool, my point was I could tell you the quality of the Ebay projectors that convert you to an H4, since its H4 you can put whatever bulb in you want.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some slightly better dash photos

Can you say grey overkill?

UPS tracking shows my dash kit scheduled delivery, Tuesday, Jan. 15.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 01-12-2008).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check my windshield affixed "gps". It tells me how my car is positioned relative to the globe.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This arrived via UPS today.

20 pieces total.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That should give the whole interior a more luxurious look, I am impressed it came with the glove box and everything.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the projectors in
http://s149.photobucket.com.../Fiero%20Projectors/

quality is decent for $33. Fiberglass bucket with a glass lense. Glass is glued on with white caulk though which from some angles looks bad. I haven't been able to install them yet. The projector is a functional fake... it magnifies and should direct more light, but it is suspended on two rods so light will escape out around the sides.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed the dash kit.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Mr.PBody:I got the projectors in
http://s149.photobucket.com.../Fiero%20Projectors/

"This album is private. Please login.
Logging into CincinnatiFiero/Fiero Projectors
Password:

Note: cookies must be enabled and not blocked"

Smooth.

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UGH you owe me dude

guest password is Fiero (<- wow! original)
PFF
System Bot
War Hammer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you have a great thread! I look forward to seeing more!

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd
Coilovers
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had this car for a little more than 3 years now. Most of the problems have been fixed. It runs & sounds great! Doesn't look too bad either.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need to recharge the A/C.

On the way back down from a picnic on at Sunset Point on Mt. Nebo (elev. 1,800 ft.)

the right rear brake pad's warning scraper was chirping on the rotor. Maybe it's time for a new set of Grand Am brake pads.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-09-2012).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed oil & filter, PF47.
ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude I may have to have you come up to Cabot to look at mine and help me out. Just picked mine up 87 GT V-6 5 speed. Yours looks great good job on the project
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked the brakes, plenty of pad left. Mt. Nebo decent is not a normal situation.

A/C worked but static pressure was on 95 psi. In 10 minutes I had it up to 120 psi.

Had an intermittent Check Engine light on the way to see the Indiana Jones movie this afternoon.

Scanner History codes showed a QDM fault.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

ARFiero:... help me out. Just picked mine up 87 GT V-6 5 speed...
Is it drivable? If so, come on over to Russellville.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Entered the car in the Valley Fest car show today. Parked with the back to the front of the viewers. Category: 1981 and later cars. 2005 Mustang won that cat.

Local doctor showed his Lamborghini Murcielago, Ford GT, Porsche GT2, Viper & C6 Corvette. Most of the other cars that won were owned by retired guys.

Did make a laminated 8.5 x 11 info sheet that I laid across a couple of wooden supports. The supports had one end on the latch bump and the other under the trunk rubber. Most everyone took the time to read it.

1987 Pontiac Fiero

This car has some of the most difficult modifications when compared to most other cars at a typical show. They are:

1. Stock 2.5L 4 cylinder engine replaced with an Electronically Controlled, SEQUENTIALLY FUEL INJECTED, Buick Park Avenue 3800 V-6!

2. Stock 3 speed automatic transmission replaced with a 4t60 4 speed Overdrive automatic transmission. Transmission has functioning Torque Converter Clutch Lockup.

3. Stock computer replaced with an Electronic Control Module and wiring harness from a Buick Park Avenue.

This allows for 30+mpg when driving on the highway!

Stock rear disc brakes replaced with larger vented disc brakes for better stopping power.

Air/Fuel Gauge integrated into the Instrument Panel.

Stock AM/FM radio replaced with a later model Pontiac AM/FM CD player.

Plus fully functional Air Conditioning for a really cool ride.

Driver's seat reupholstered with OEM cloth.

Pardon the dust on engine. Unlike some other cars when not at a car show, it has another use besides a garage filler & an object d' polish. This this car is used as a DAILY DRIVER!

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 06-03-2009).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2008 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced damaged hood release cable. Front hood now closes merely by dropping it. Release is smooth. Effort is low, due in part to my cable lube job prior to installation.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Voltmeter reads below 13, other times about 17.

Checked the voltage with the Scangauge.

Looks good for now. Need to do a few more checks.
PFF
System Bot
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2008 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Runs great, no problems for now.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Courtesy of the Foundry in Plant 8 of formerly Delco Remy in Anderson, Ind.

A reman. starter from Advanced Auto was $54. Installed it myself.

Often when starter break like this it is a sign of timing being off...

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

psychosurfer:Often when starter break like this it is a sign of timing being off...

It was a bad ignition control module which caused the timing to be off. The module has been replaced. Thank you.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Voltmeter reads below 13, other times about 17.

Checked the voltage with the Scangauge.

Looks good for now. Need to do a few more checks.

Charging system works just fine.

The problem is in the gage, sometimes the needle pivot sticks. I'll fix it when cooler weather arrives.

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
The A/C cycles between 22-48 psi several times on the low pressure side, then stays at 25-26 psi. Either a clog in the venturi tube or the compressor is starting to go. But it still blows cold, just not at cool as I'd like. Another cooler weather project.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 09-01-2008).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
I have time today

Removal

Nice to have spares

Works great now.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
While I had the front surround off I decided to try something like this:

22 gauge armature wire.

Not perfect, but better.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2008 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Meanwhile, I found this:

Wife need's to learn how to drive smoother and stop racing those ricers.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the pedal assembly.

Here's the problem:

Someone that wears a ring larger than a size 10 could not do the quick method I used. Further disassembly would be required.

Broken plastic.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock