Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FINALLY!!, Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car has a new home in Iowa (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FINALLY!!, Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car has a new home in Iowa by RAREW66
Started on: 04-11-2005 12:23 AM
Replies: 193 (17648 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 08-27-2013 02:12 PM
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a little road worn after 1100 miles of truck and trailer driver's seat duty, but the excitement of having my newest addition to my Fiero collection home has given me enough energy to get this post started. I have 370 pictures from this week that I have to sort through and clean for the Forum. This will be a long post by the time I finish it. Not only do I have the car, but the history behind it is starting to come alive as I have been in contact with numerous people at GM who participated in the AutoStyle/PPG/GM joint program. My friends at GM tell me that I am one lucky guy to be able to legally own a car that was a former GM Prototype/Promotional vehicle. The car is one beautiful machine to see live and up close. I will start with some general pictures tonight before I go to bed.

Love at first sight:

I officially took posession of the car on April 07 at 8:32 am:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

YOU SUCK !!!!!!

j/k Just keep me in mind as the first to inherit it from you

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the story behind it? Previous owners, and how you aquired it. And how much did you pick it up for?

Looks like fun!

Greg

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At 9:30 on Friday morning, I had the opportunity to take these historically significant pictures. This is the first time that the two cars have been together since 1988.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I wish I had one just like it.

------------------

Bottle Fed 4.9 V8 5 Speed
87 4 cyl 5 speed coupe
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Much more later.........

Fred

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW

get them pannels off, and lets get some molds started

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Fred.

I love the look of this photo here:

I’m still working on some stuff that we talked about earlier, and I should have some time here in the next week or so to see a bit more about it. As of late, I have not been impressed with that to which I have seen to date, so the search goes on.

Congrats again, and HAHAHAHA.....I knew about it FIRST....I just had to keep my mouth shut, and that was not easy to do, as I LOVE THAT CAR!

Congrats again!
--Allen

------------------

eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy **** !! How'd you get your hands on one of those babies???!!!!
Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so what is the story behind this car? are the modifications skin deep? who made it? how many? i would love to know more about them, they look awesome.
Trekker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrekkerClick Here to visit Trekker's HomePageSend a Private Message to TrekkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will either of these make the trip to the Dells this year? Would LOVE to see them in person!
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am glad you got it home finally! Looks great in safe hands. Give me a call and let me know if you found the other thing you were looking for.

Now you need to help me talk them out of the red car.

Talk to you soon.

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred,

Congratulations!!!!! I am very happy that you were able to get this car. It is going to a very good home, in the hand of someone who will take care of it and let everyone in the Fiero community enjoy it.

Mark

------------------
www.cardomain.com/id/wingnutmd --- "Peg" --- 1985 GT - THE FORGOTTON GT!

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't think of anyone else that i would rather see have that car !! I'm looking forward to seeing it in person, Congrats Fred !!

------------------

still plays with cars..

red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like there is a few burn outs behind the old GM "Toy Store" bldg. in those pictures....

------------------
8T6 GT

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred,

You're probably still asleep after the trip.

Great snag.. Impressive find/buy

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
congrats Fred...!!! I'm glad you gotthe car after what you told me at the meeting in IL...It's in a good home now..

------------------

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW VERY NICE FIND. now if we can only get someone to reproduce the body parts for this car.

------------------

86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet !!!!

Can I drive it???
How many miles on her???

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp., fastest one in Austin,Texas and surrounding areas.........so far

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eatoninside:
Holy **** !! How'd you get your hands on one of those babies???!!!!

I think how'd he get his hands on "TWO" is more like it!!!

Very nice indeed. Splish *Splash*, give 'em a bath in fibreglass!

865spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 865spdClick Here to visit 865spd's HomePageSend a Private Message to 865spdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! thats all i can say. Congrats on being able to snag such a rare Fiero. We'd still love to hear how came came to get such a gem?
PFF
System Bot
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Fred!!!!!!

looks like it's time for a jaunt over to Davenport for a little sight seeing

Dan

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend says its not fair that you get to own both of the PPG cars.

------------------

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by p8ntman442:

My girlfriend says its not fair that you get to own both of the PPG cars.

AFAIK, the blue one belongs to GM, whom he works for. How he got them to bring it out is beyond me, connections I guess.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FANTASTIC!

Now you be sure to bring it along to the next big Fiero Show!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred - I have to say that your email awhile back about this very subject definitely made my day. I can hardly wait to see your restoration project.

You now own my favorite Fiero!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

CosVegFiero

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CosVegFieroSend a Private Message to CosVegFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If memory serves me right, I believe there were 5 PPG Fiero's all together.

Dick

FieroAddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAddictSend a Private Message to FieroAddictEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CosVegFiero:

If memory serves me right, I believe there were 5 PPG Fiero's all together.

Dick

I thought there were 6

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome.

What I would like to see is a version of the PPG nose made to be a bolt-on for the Fiero. Who ever could pull this off would sell a TON of them. Direct bolt-on, very little prep needed, use all your exsisting parts, turn signals and side moulding with marker light.

The PPG has wider fenders, so it would have to be slighty narrowed / modified on each end.

I like the PPG nose because it's shaped attractively like most cars and looks like it belongs. The stock GT nose is freaking ugly because it had that "sled" effect, shoe-horned upward, and missing half of the ground effects. It looks unfinished.

What would be REALLY nice would be to eliminate the split grill and give the PPG nose a centered grill for better cooling, it would also get rid of that 80's Sunbird / Firebird look, and would also allow for turn signals to be placed on both sides, like this...

Or like this.....

There were 6 cars BTW...

From the side profile of that first red car, look how much more attractive the front of the Fiero is with a "normal" nose that ends, goes straight down, and slightly tucks back under the car with ground effects that match the rest of the body. It's continous and flowing. The driving lights is the iceing on the cake. It's no wonder 99% of the cars on the road today look like that. Look at all the BMWs, sports cars, and other flashy cars on the market. They all have a nose that is generally shaped like the PPG nose.

I always thought the stock GT nose "sled effect" made the car look cheap. The Fiero GT has a beautiful body style that is timeless, but the nose has always been the most dissappointing part of the body.

It screams CHEAP!

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 04-11-2005).]

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Skybax, I actually think exactly opposite. I think its a shame that every car on the road has a "snub" nose style. NO ONE is different like the Fiero was with the bullet nose.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW: IF parts are ever pulled for reproduction panels - please don't change a thing... let the buyer modify them as desired. As for me - I'll be the first with the Green one
PFF
System Bot
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other then the two shown here do any other ones exist?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Find !!!!

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! That is a cool car!

------------------

88gt build up! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047402.html

http://www.iamanascarfan.com/

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! ! ....congrats Fred, you are a very lucky guy. Remeber that tread about a PPG car that was in posetion of a high school auto shop class? BTW you wouldt happen to have any pics of the egine and turbo...
-Roy
*edit for spelling*
------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

[This message has been edited by roys88fiero (edited 04-11-2005).]

Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...Lipspoilers....

You should see if you can get ahold of the original roof. The one with the light bar on top. That would be sweet.

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 04-11-2005).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

Other then the two shown here do any other ones exist?

Yes. I can't find the thread, but someone took a bunch of pictures of a PPG Fiero that was donated to a un-named highschool It was the red one. Anyone know that thread? It wasn't that long ago.

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! i just..Wow!

You have got one speacial car there! enjoy it. Few get to own such a rare and unique car that is part of the history of them.

outstanding!

FieroAddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAddictSend a Private Message to FieroAddictEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Yes. I can't find the thread, but someone took a bunch of pictures of a PPG Fiero that was donated to a un-named highschool It was the red one. Anyone know that thread? It wasn't that long ago.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050410-1-043815.html

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2005 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is gonna be one of those threads that ruins a lot keyboards as we drool all over them looking at the pics
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock