Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FINALLY!!, Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car has a new home in Iowa (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FINALLY!!, Yellow PPG GTP Pace Car has a new home in Iowa by RAREW66
Started on: 04-11-2005 12:23 AM
Replies: 193 (17648 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 08-27-2013 02:12 PM
ED77KATR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED77KATRSend a Private Message to ED77KATREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, what a unique car. I also own a 1987 fiero with 000079 actual miles on it that was a donated vocational school car. Mine was sold as a abandoned car from the school. Does anyone have the paperwork from GM that explains the donation rules? i would reimberse ya 4 a copy of it. thanks Ed
IP: Logged
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interior shots????
ED77KATR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ED77KATRSend a Private Message to ED77KATREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HYPER6 has been a great help explaining to me the in&outs of GMs Donated cars and the rules. i have learned they have no legal strings to the cars after they donate them, as long as they are never registered or driven. Even then some wind up titled & are legal. GM lost a famous battle over the CERV corvettes after the donated cars showed up at a auction. Old story posession is 9/10s of the law! Sorry i cant post pics here of mine but they are on a Archived thread in pennocks called STORED&LOST FIEROS i believe the last post was in May 2005? Can someone pop it up here? Thanks Ed
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ED77KATR:

Sorry i cant post pics here of mine but they are on a Archived thread in pennocks called STORED&LOST FIEROS i believe the last post was in May 2005? Can someone pop it up here? Thanks Ed

This one? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050818-1-047789.html

RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2006 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a ton of interior and intake pictures of my car. I just need to sit a resize them for PIP. Maybe I will find time this weekend to do the pics.

One of the Forum Members who actually E-Mailed me received this response on the intake set-up on my car. I am still waiting for any type of information or spec sheets on the mechanicals from the six cars from Rousch. The couple of contacts that I have talked to at Rousch are my source for some of the following information from their recollections, the rest is my data from when I had the intake off:

"The intake had the bottom cut off and a plate welded straight across the bottom. Lots of filler rod was used on the sides to build up material to close the sides. The upper, middle and lower intake are machine ported and the runners are .190 larger than stock. The heads are ported on the intakes, but only polished on the exhausts. The cam is not stock either. I measured .125 more lift on intake and .155 more lift of exhaust than a stock cam. I do not know if the valves are any larger either. But the car does have stock cast iron heads on it. I did not go any deeper in to the engine yet to determine the duration. The TB is bored to 58mm. The six engines were built by Rousch. They are searching to see if they can find any records on specs or dyno sheets. Supposedly the engine was bored to 3.0L and the crank was changed to a shorter stroke. This engine runs like a 3 cylinder V-6 until about 2800 rpm, then it takes off. I have revved it to 6k and it was still pulling at 130mph. One of the original drivers told me that these cars normally ran at 140-145 mph during there on track exhibition. The turbo car was reported as being capable of 165 mph on 14 lbs of boost."

I will see what I can do about the pictures this weekend.

Fred

ED77KATR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2006 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED77KATRSend a Private Message to ED77KATREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes thats the thread that got pics of my 79 mile Fiero [page2] Thanks Ed
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2006 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks rarew66 i would love to see more pic of the intake
a big thanks in advance
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

metoady

214 posts
Member since Oct 2005
bump to the top
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bumped and waiting paciently for pictures ( hint hint)

---------------------------------------------------------------
the voices in my head may not be real....
but they have some good ideas. !!!!!.

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2006 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hummm
metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

I have a ton of interior and intake pictures of my car. I just need to sit a resize them for PIP. Maybe I will find time this weekend to do the pics.

still waiting
or email me them please
thanks james

PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Davenport? Awesome, I might have to check them out sometime. Soooo..... where exactly do you live? And uh.... when are you not home, and which windows/doors are least visible from the street?
DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2006 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FieroGT42:

In Davenport? Awesome, I might have to check them out sometime. Soooo..... where exactly do you live? And uh.... when are you not home, and which windows/doors are least visible from the street?

You could always come to the Heartland Fieros Xmas party on Jan. 28th in Cedar Rapids and meet the man (I'm almost positive he'll be bringing pictures).

P.M. if you need directions,

Dan

metoady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2006 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for metoadyClick Here to visit metoady's HomePageSend a Private Message to metoadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well i tryed
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interior shots???
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is incredibly interesting! Id love to see the interior shots, also.

Very unique piece of Fiero history. Excellent job (RAREW66) with all the work you have done to dig up this information!

LetTheGoodTimesRoll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LetTheGoodTimesRollSend a Private Message to LetTheGoodTimesRollEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW

Hats off on all the hard work of saving such an interesting car! I can't wait to see more pictures of it.

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2006 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for pics
Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

Bump for pics

Yeah, what he said...
ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2006 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple from Auburn this last July

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodog:

hmmm anyone else see what I'm seeing? looks like a fastback clip with notchie tailights creating the lip effect.

Its close, but if you look at the sides, the sail panels are set in a bit and arent flush with the sides of the car.. a much better look i think..

PFF
System Bot
Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2006 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that you mention it... I agree, I like that look a little better. Is it just me, or do the butresses not extend as far back along the decklid either?
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow i think i found a new favorite nose i hope some one could make a new fiberglass nose for regular fieros. very nice car whats the latest on it
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred,

You ought to get with Sage and Doug and have these noses repro'ed. Just my $.02.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Raydar. These have to be one of the best noses for these cars. Too bad these weren't stock. What else I'd like is the rear most part of the upper clip. Don't care for the fastback part, but I like the GT shape it has around the lights.

------------------
I gots the baddest Fiero on BRICKS!

whereatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2007 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2007 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ARKaiser:

A couple from Auburn this last July

The nose especially the lower part blends in with the rest of the ground FX much better than a stock GT. Also It doesn't have the stock ones tapered bottom which looks much better.You should duplicate it and sell it

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More........more...................please
86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow ive never herd of these fieros befor

bump for interior shots
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 86_fiero_gt_92:

wow ive never herd of these fieros befor

bump for interior shots

Ive seen a few pictures around, and they didn't look that much different then a regular GT inside to me. Just some extra stuff for the light bar is all i remember being different. Its not like they were a prototype car.

I still like the look more then the regular fastbacks.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Historic examples and stories of rare Fieros are always fascinating and I do appreciate the significance. However, I am one of the guys that can't leave a Fiero alone and prefer engine swaps, performance goodies and driving the car hard. With most show cars that I've seen, their owners baby them and often trailer them to the shows- nice collector items but they hardly ever get driven anywhere. Not to put down the museum piece but IMO the enjoyment of driving is the most fun of owning any automobile..

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few nice shots for some more history of the car. John callies helping Fred with a few questions and answers about his cars & its fuel cell. Rick B

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Not to put down the museum piece but IMO the enjoyment of driving is the most fun of owning any automobile..

Yeah, it's a nice car, but I would have to have a lot more money in the bank than I do now to own a car that I never drive.

Fred if you ever want to own a historically significant T-top let me know.

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ummmmmm........what's the word? Oooooh.......JEALOUS!!!

Sweet ride, Fred.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hit "Higher quality" below the movie first. Notice Freds car and mine? We were lucky to put them in the group for a phtoo shoot. Rick B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVJJF3KQVM
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

interior shots???

bump for a 2 year question
RKB75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RKB75Send a Private Message to RKB75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a question...what does "GTP" stand for?

Since these car looks like the actual GT fastback, and they are used as "pace car", does its stand for GT Pace car ?

I know, that sound like a stupid question...but I'm curious about the meaning.
wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
has anyone tryed to replicate these bumpers yet? id put one on my black gt in a heart beat.

------------------

DONE: 86gt 5 speed 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , stronger head springs, and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip , polished crank . too much to list

86 gt 350 4 speed
85 t-top BEING PARTED
86gt 4.9 highly modified
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

Just a question...what does "GTP" stand for?

Since these car looks like the actual GT fastback, and they are used as "pace car", does its stand for GT Pace car ?

I know, that sound like a stupid question...but I'm curious about the meaning.

The GTP comes from the trackside brochure that PPG gave out to it's guests while the cars were on display. Here is what the cover of the brochure looks like.

I do not know specifically what or if it means anything. Most of the GTP Pontiac models were either high performance or had boosted engines. I just think that it is a designation of High performance. I do know that GT is short for Gran Turismo which if I remember correctly stands for touring car in Italian.

Fred
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock